PDA

View Full Version : Tsukkomi in Tsukuba

-Edo-
02-09-2011, 04:52 AM
I told gixxer, Tsumanne and Kxela about this event at Wonder Fest and here are the details. It is called 'Tsukkomi', the full name is 'Tsukuba SF Comic Festa 2011' and runs for 3 days in Tsukuba, Ibaraki Prefecture, which is 40 minutes by train from Akihabara. I'm helping Goldy out with the cosplay stage so anyone who can make it up we can get you in for free.

The idea for the event came from the special 5 year Comiket (http://cmksp.jp/mito/) which was held in Mito, Ibaraki last year. People were impressed at how well things went and thought if they could do something along those lines elsewhere. Tsukuba has a large university and a space center plus is easily accessible from Tokyo. In its first year the event is including a lot of different genres and there is plenty of cosplay related stuff being planned.

You can see the event web page here. (http://fes.fm842.jp/)

Information about it on Cure is here. (http://ja.curecos.com/event/view?id=14354)

There are lots of things going on but they can basically be divided into 4 themes:
- Cosplay Events
- Anison live performances and voice actor talk show
- Dojinshi sales
- Dealer booths

Leiji Matsumoto, creator of Space Battleship Yamato and Galazy Express 999 has been confirmed for Saturday February 12th during the live performance and a talk event. Mizuki Ichiro (Aniki) who has created many theme songs for anime like Mazinga Z and Space Pirate Captain Harlock will be doing a stage show on the same day. There are lots of other voice actors and singers who will be there, you can see who they are here. (http://fes.fm842.jp/modules/tinyd0/index.php?id=15)

The cosplay area will mainly have stuff going on during Saturday and Sunday. Here's the schedule:

Feb 12th 13:30~14:30 Cosplay Performance Exhibition
      14:30~18:00 Free time, cosplay
 18:00~21:00 Live performance by Mizuki Ichiro (Aniki) and others

Feb 13th 11:00~14:00 Open Cosplay area
      16:00~17:00 Cosplay Fashion Show

The 'Open cosplay area' basically means nothing special is going on and we can cosplay. This is essentially a schedule for the cosplay stage on Saturday and Sunday, according to the homepage schedule people can cosplay from 10am-4pm so I'm not sure about the 4-6pm period on February the 12th. We may go for food at that time, see how things go.

Goldy is helping organize a 'Cosplay Fashion Show' which is essentially a non performance individual walk on that you see at conventions abroad. They are asking for 500 yen to participate there which I've never seen before but if you'd like to get up there contact me on it we can get that waived. It would be cool to have people from other countries participating just to show that even in Japan cosplay is done by lots of people from all over the world. I should have a friend from Canada who will do some crossplay and unfortunately for Tsumanne the rules say no military gear so he too was saying something about doing a female character. Let me know if you're thinking of doing something special, I'll see if we can work it.

Most of the rules are just common sense but just in case:
- Mens and womens changing rooms are in the gers. (Mongolian huts!)
- No military outfits
- Nothing overly revealing
- No real swords or guns that fire (including air guns)
- No sharp tools or industrial purpose chains
- No items made from glass or pottery (within reason, jewelry is fine)
- No explosives or gunpowder
+ Get staff at at the check in area to check out all wood, paper mache, or foam weapons, canes or umbrellas. (Holding them visibly is probably enough, staff will be able to tell its cosplay)
- Take pictures of cosplayers in the cosplay area only, be respectful and ask for permission first.

Remember its the first year of the event, I haven't seen the area myself either so some of the information above may be off. There is bound to be some wrinkles in plans and as you can see already its not the standard kind of convention you would find in the Americas or Europe. Roll with it, there is going to be a lot going on though and should be plenty of fun. Let me know if you're interested and we'll do our best to make sure every one has a good time.

If you'd like to come out or have any questions let me know in the thread here. Otherwise you can PM me or send a message to my e-mail at edohofu@yahoo.ca

Tsumanne
02-11-2011, 12:14 AM
What would be the easiest train from Tokyo for this event? Didn't realize Tsukuba was in Ibaraki-ken.

Tsumanne
02-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Found English information for the Tsukuba Express train from Akihabara to Tsukuba. Very reasonably priced. A little over Y1,000 to cross two prefectures. Can't complain.

http://www.mir.co.jp/english_guide/index.html

-Edo-
02-12-2011, 03:10 AM
Hi Tsumanne, yah, that's probably the one, its the Tsukuba Express from Akihabara, costs 1140 yen and you don't have to change lines. It takes 40 minutes and it arrives at the event location you don't need to walk more than 5 minutes. Its pretty sprawling with different events going on in separate areas. It looks like they got rid of the 500 yen charge for the fashion show thing tomorrow so that's not a problem. I sent you a pm with my phone number too so call me there, let me know if you cant view it here and I'll post it or contact me at edohofu@yahoo.ca

You can use my hotel room to change or we'll see if there is somewhere else for you. Kxela should be coming tomorrow too. Anyone else got time tomorrow and are nearby leave a message here and come on up!

Kxela
02-15-2011, 03:39 AM
Tsukkomi was pretty good, I had a good amount of fun cosplaying and stuff :D
Thanks Ed for everything! ^^

Check out my blog for details of the event and photographs I took!-
http://kxela.blogspot.com/2011/02/tsukkomi-tsukuba-comic-festa-2011.html

-Edo-
02-16-2011, 09:24 AM
No worries Kxela, thanks for making the trip up, I wish I could have helped out more!

Too bad others couldn't make it, I know its a little out of the way. Tsumanne, in the end I did see some guys in military gear and the whole 3 square km area around Tsukuba station was open and free for cosplayers.

It looks like the only place you had to pay the 1500 yen was to see the seiyu and anison performances each night at the Kokusai Koujijo Hall. You didn't have to pay to watch the cosplay performance stage on Saturday nor did you have to pay for the fashion show/walk on stage on Sunday.

PS: Thanks for the pics on you blog Kxela! Great shots of your costume and the cosplayers in the cosplay area. My i phone pictures of the walk on stage turned out poorly as well, pictures don't come out well under strong light eh. I like your pictures of the Korean cosplayers and Goldy's robots too!

CelestialShadow
02-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Damn I am so mad I missed this event! I was in the philippines for vacation and knew nothing about it =(

-Edo-
02-17-2011, 11:10 AM
It was the first time the event was held and considering they only conceived of the idea 3 months ago it really could have gone either way. It's a good location being one line from Akihabara and you can't really go wrong with free reign of the entire Tsukuba station area.

The way it turned out you didn't even have to pay for the cosplay, pretty cool. Although there is room for improvement people were pretty positive about it, I bet they will do it again next year, if so I'll put something up when I hear about it.

Next up Nipponbashi!