PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Hotel for an Out-of-State Con... Yeesh

Shuko
02-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Well, after thinking about it for a while, I've decided to go to Dragon*Con this year. I've been only once before, and that was back in 2007 when my boyfriend and I were still an item, and he took me with him. Back then, he was the one who had made all the arrangements, so I had no idea how insane it was. I just got off the phone with my sixth choice for a hotel, and I'm spending way more than I'd planned, for a single-bed room for me and my friend (who is not the same gender as me, has a huge crush on me, and has never shared a bed with me before... awkward much?) to share between us. Dragon*Con isn't until September. Freaking September! That's almost seven months from now! I had no idea the hotels got booked so early! Criminy!

My con experiences are pretty limited. I'm really only regular at the local cons in my own state, which are admittedly very small-scale and unimpressive (but loads of fun, don't get me wrong). Are all large-scale cons such big deals that the hotels nearby get booked full so soon in advance? If that's the case, then I need to be planning for these things like, a year in advance, right? :x

If this is all par for the course for you seasoned con-goers, I apologize. My public displays of ignorance may be regular and self-degrading at the worst of times, but they are never intentionally obnoxious. Oh, and to all the rest of you (if there are any) who are like me and feel rather upset and moody about having to make hotel reservations a year in advance for a con, please say so and help me feel less petty? Pretty please? :thumbsup:

Pocketfightr
02-11-2011, 04:23 PM
The big cons I've been to... 6 months is usually when hotels start selling out (though I've never hit a problem as bad as yours). I want to say certain cheap hotels across from Otakon go out super quick, but I've never been that on the ball to know exactly how early it goes.

If you end up at a place further away then you like, you could try calling every so often at those other hotels, in case someone cancels. The chance is iffy, but you never know.

penny_dreadful
02-11-2011, 04:55 PM
I've never had a real problem booking a hotel for D*Con-- even closer to. Keep calling around. Ask if you can possibly be wait-listed so they'll notify you in the event of a cancellation. Bear in mind I have good luck when I call-- the websites will tell you the hotel is booked, but if you call and speak to someone in person, somehow they can magically find a room that's free.