PDA

View Full Version : Naru wig?

terrablue
10-22-2003, 03:40 AM
Just wanted to get some opinions on this wig. Do you think it will work for Naru? I liked it because sometimes her hair looks brown and sometimes orangish, and this wig has both colors in it. I will obviously have some trimming to do to aquire the same style. Let me know what you think! Thanks in advance.

KuroBara
10-22-2003, 09:10 AM
I'm guessing you mean Narusegawa Naru from Love Hina?

The color looks very good, I would just straighten the waves on the end. Karaoke Kate has a tutorial for that on her site:
http://katiebair.com

terrablue
10-22-2003, 04:56 PM
Yup! Thats who I meant. Thanks for the great link too.

Hitomi chan
10-24-2003, 12:51 AM
I think is fine but naru's hair is totally straight , but is a nice color, I like it ^_^

terrablue
10-24-2003, 01:30 AM
Thanks, Kurobara gave me a great link on how to straighten the wig thats not too difficult, so that won't be a problem.

terrablue
11-04-2003, 08:09 AM
Finished!
http://www.photo.3rdhour.com/albums/userpics/10012/103-0321_IMG%20copy.jpg

Michi
11-04-2003, 08:23 AM
Holy crap, wow. You did a magnificent job on that wig. O_O The bangs are great, too. Lovely. Aaaa. *squeal* So great. XD You look really good in it too!!

(I'm not even a huge Love Hina fan or anything~~!)

Ali
11-04-2003, 02:27 PM
^ What she said. 0_0

Devil Asuka 666
11-04-2003, 06:33 PM
very good o.O
how did you do the bangs?

*Jibrielle*
11-04-2003, 06:55 PM
That came out so perfect!!!

Kurthy133
11-05-2003, 01:47 AM
exactly what everyone else said. whoa. your bangs are even choppy like naru's *impressed*

terrablue
11-06-2003, 04:59 AM
Thanks! You guys are too nice ^_^. This was the first wig I’ve ever worked on and I’m thrilled everyone likes it. I probably spent about 10 hours on it because I’m extremely anal. :P Incase anyone was wondering or wants some tips, here’s how I made it.

I first started by pinning the wig to those wig form things and making sure that it was combed well. Then, I parted the wig like Naru’s (mine has a skin top so it was quite easy). Then I pulled out the area of the bangs and cut them way longer than I would need them.

Now I had to remove the waves and curls of the wig, so I followed Karaokekate’s write-up on the hot water method. I did this four times with little results, so I got daring and tried using my hair straightening iron…and it worked! I first tested it on the hair that I had trimmed from the bangs. I found by heating my straightener for about 2 minutes then turning it off and straightening a few pieces worked great, though I tested the iron on my hair scraps every time before I used it on the wig just to make sure it wasn’t too hot.

After the hair was all straight I had to start adding a curl to the bangs, so I tried my large curling iron and followed the same procedure as I did for the straightener. I had read several times that using such items would melt the wig, but I think that mine did not melt due to the fact that the wig is made out of 100% modacrylic fiber, SO I WOULDN'T SUGGEST TRYING THIS ON YOUR WIG UNLESS ITS ON SOME SCRAP HAIR FIRST TO SEE IF THIS METHOD WILL WORK ON YOUR WIGS MATERIAL!!!

After that I placed the wig on my head and started cutting the bangs taking a little off at a time so I wasn’t to cut too much until i got it a tiny bit longer then the desired length. The way I made them look choppy was by cutting the hair at an angle starting off with them cut straight. I only cut an angle on one side in the same direction and reversed it for the other side of the part. (Ex: l/l/l/ \l\l\l ) From there I just eyeballed what looked right and kept a picture for reference right in front of me. The only thing I worn is too be careful cutting since its right around your eyes if you decide to do it this way. I then added a little hairspray and gel to some clumps to make it look sort of piecey.

Now for the antennas, I pulled out two pieces from the hair in the spot of the antennaes and put a rubber band from braces (about the diameter of a pencil) at the bases. Then I took a piece of wire (not sure what gauge since it was lying around the house) that was very thin but very strong and flexible. I wrapped the wire at the base up a couple times then wrapped the hair around the wire loosely. Then I applied some strong holding gel to make it stick to it, and cut and bent it to shape.

Finally, I combed the wig good and applied some leave in conditioner to add some shine and get rid of the staticy hairs. Voila! The wig is very realistic looking, especially since it has a 3-tone color, best yet, I got it brand new from Ebay for about $27 with shipping!!! The style name of the wig is ‘ashanti’. Hope this might help some of you DIYer’s. Thanks again for the kind comments!

Michi
11-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Your first time styling... @_@ *eyes glaze over* You're amazing, terrablue. ^^; My goodness. *bookmarks this thread* I'm inspired. *_* I know I can do this too, I just need the patience... Arrrgh yes! *^^*;; Next time I need to style my own wig. (I've only done it twice..)

Thankyou so much. :D

Bell-chan
11-06-2003, 02:43 PM
It looks so absolutely amazing *.* I was so impressed (to say it lightly) that I gasped when I clicked the link XD

I need to make a Naru wig too. I'll definitely use this for reference :)

Koumori
11-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Fantastic work - and it looks great on you. I have got to make friends with some decent photographers.

terrablue
11-06-2003, 04:50 PM
Fantastic work - and it looks great on you. I have got to make friends with some decent photographers.

Thanks! I'm actually a photo major and took the pic myself. :)

Ali
11-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Thanks! I'm actually a photo major and took the pic myself. :)

You took....? Oh geez. You're awesome.

So you curled the bangs before cutting them?
(And you'll have to explain how you did the picture....)

edit: close parenthesis.... I'm good.