PDA

View Full Version : help!! steam punk crown??

Adilleynn
02-13-2011, 03:30 PM
hi, ive kinda looked at the fashion, but never really tried it (not sure if i could pull it off).
so anyways , i make TONS of lolita stuff, i wear, and sell alot of it. recently i had afew requests for steam punk crowns. i have no idea even where to start with this or what. im kinda feeling eeeppp about it (it scares me, i dont wanna mess it up), but im always up to try new things. any suggestions would be a great help. i cant say ive EVER seen a crown for steam punk before...

here is one of the lolita crowns i have made so you have an idea of what they look like. the basic structure would be the same for these ones... :)

http://adilleynn.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d36qplo

thanks for any help you can offer!!

Ironhill
02-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Well, the first thought I had was to use brass rings in place of the pink ribbon. Use one as a base and two more cut in half as the uprights. Also, at the craft stores there are packets of gears. You could add these like jewels on a traditional crown.

Adilleynn
02-13-2011, 09:56 PM
ok... well, its actully pink leather, so i thought a darker natural colour would be ok... if not you can correct me.
the ring idea sounds like it could work too, i'll have to see if i can get that to work... thnx.

i was also thinking about a pocket watch kinda thing on it... i know where i can get old looking ones in glass balls (they work) and have brass acents around the side... maybe hang one in the middle and kinda droop chanes in?? i dunno, could be a bad idea....

Mehdia
02-13-2011, 11:19 PM
If you have the right structure to support a hanging watch, I think that would be really cool looking. Overall, I say stick with some neutral tones for the leathers you use, mix up the metals (I like using more than just brass, it gives variety), copper along with the brass, maybe some antiqued silver and gold, and use accents that would work with whatever kind of costume your customer is looking for, and I think you would have a good start.

Ironhill
02-13-2011, 11:29 PM
I didn't realise it was leather. I thought it was reinforced ribbon or such. The hanging watch is a nice touch.

Adilleynn
02-14-2011, 12:27 AM
thanks, i would never think to mix up metals, i would think it would look odd, but im sure you guys know what looks good together...LOL.. i'll have to try that... thanks... yes, im going to be looking into some some thicker wire, some that is really hard to shape, so that a watch can be supported, and wont change the shape of the crown over time eather... i thought about that.. and more hardware means more support. thanks for the help, your ideas are really helping me out and boosting my confidence in this project... YAY!! i just may have to make some stuff for myself as well, if all goes well of course...LOL
i just hope i can keep it in the steampunk zone without it looking like garbage...LOL

Mehdia
02-14-2011, 07:09 AM
If it starts too feel unlike steampunk, then take a step back and edit. That's always the best. And you can totally mix metals. To me, that's more indicative of the Victorian time. They used gold and silver jewelry and then you had the copper and brass in all the industrial stuff, so it's really a good mix, especially for a crown.

Adilleynn
02-15-2011, 12:10 AM
well, thanks for all the info guys, and input. i'll post some pics of what they look like (gunna try to make afew diff ones) when my stuff comes in. i ordered some things, just gotta wait for the mail now...LOL

Mehdia
02-15-2011, 01:24 PM
The waiting for materials can be the worst part! The anticipation will kill you!

Adilleynn
02-15-2011, 04:24 PM
yes, yes it does... and you check the mail and are disapointed nothing is there...LOL...
i know.. i love online shopping, just hate the wait...

Ichigogami
02-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Going back to the era of Steampunk birth, Also check out Victorian era clothing (Era of Queen Victoria...) in England and America...also think vintage feel and see if you can tarnish some of the gears, I prefer older looking gears and such even though some people do very good bright shiny and new gear work... depending on the look you're going for.

Hope this helps

Adilleynn
03-03-2011, 06:28 PM
so far only this watch arrived in the mail, so i decided i would give it a shot. not the watch i was planning on using, so i had to change my ideas of how to throw it all together. this is what i came up with.. so far. i may take it apart and start from scratch, see what else i can come up with and try to improve on it.

http://adilleynn.deviantart.com/#/d3asor7