PDA

View Full Version : gothic lolita fabric?

Rinoa1022
10-22-2003, 02:45 PM
ok im making this gothic lolita dress, but for the skirt part what should i use? Itz that poofy gathered type thing. im trying to make it pink and black but im not sure how to do the coloring, since the poofy stuff is see-throu. do i wear the colors under it, or sewing color fabric ontop of it? any advise will help :)

Sarcasm-hime
10-22-2003, 05:15 PM
Not sure what you mean. By 'that poofy gathered type thing' do you mean a petticoat? Because if all you have is a petticoat, you'll need to do a gathered or circle skirt to go on top of the petticoat.

Michela
10-22-2003, 06:14 PM
The actual skirt does indeed go over the petticoat. As for fabric, search for petticoat lining in your local fabric store, if you haven't already (it's stiff, so when you gather it, it will remain full.) Though petticoat lining is sheer, it *does* come in a variety of colors, so fear not. ^_~
As for the skirt itself, it depends on what look you intend to have. I'll give you a few examples: PVC/vinyl (though not normally used for Lolita... what can I say, I just love vinyl! XD) has a very rubbery, wet look to it... it creates a beautiful lustre. Satin is similar, but does not have a wet-look... it's a more fine, royalty-type fabric to use (it's very similar to silk, except less expensive. It's extremely comfortable to wear, too! It's wonderful. ^_^) With satin, though, it is much better to use a better quality (baroque) satin than what is used for normal Haloween-type costumes. Cotton/polyester blends are what to use if you want a more down-to-earth look for your dress...
Good luck on the dress!! I'm in the midst of making my own lolita skirt, (it's also pink and black ^_^) so I'm happy to see I'm not the only one!

Rinoa1022
10-22-2003, 06:22 PM
hehe tankiez for advise. the dress im making is here if that helps give a better idea.
http://mysite.freeserve.com/revesdelamort/9_013.html

lainey
10-22-2003, 06:26 PM
it looks like velvet to me O_o

Mara
10-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Ah, it looks like he has layers of tulle over the top of a skirt. For the skirt itself, you could do velvet, or go cheaper and do black cotton or something stiffer with lace sewn on the edges like he has.

For the tulle: if you're doing pink and black, you could go either way, but I personally think the tulle would look better in pink instead of a pink underskirt.
What you should do is cut the tulle in long strips of the width you want, then sew a gathering stitch near the top and gather it until you have the amount of ruffles you want on each layer. Then you can sew each layer to the skirt itself, and it should look pretty much like Mana's.

Garuda_Aiacos
10-23-2003, 12:36 PM
Hmm, IMHO it looks like he's using a more finer type of tulle (Nylon Netting) like the kind used for Bridal Veil, to go on top of the Black "Underskirt". It could even be Organza.

There could also be another petticoat made from stiffer Nylon Netting underneath the Black "Underskirt" to make the whole skirt poof up.

Well, one way to decide on the coloration (wherther pink or black should go on top) is to get swatch of both Pink and Black See-through and fabrics, and put them on top of each other (Black See-Thru' with Pink Fabric; Pink See-Thru' with Black fabric) to decide for yourself from there.

Michela
10-23-2003, 02:58 PM
Waaah! Mana! (I lourve Mana :)) For that skirt, I would recommend layering... perhaps one layer should be petticoat lining, and as aforementioned, Tulle is a great upper layer for it (Methinks I see a layer of black lace in there, too...)
Yet again, good luck and hooray for Mana!