PDA

View Full Version : Last Airbender Movie

02-14-2011, 09:18 PM
So I heard from almost everyone avatar fans and non avatar fans that this movie is horrible. Only a two fans told me it was good. Is this movie worth watching for the action and visuals? I also want to watch the next one b/c toph will be in it but I am worried about how upsetting it will be to watch it? What should i do and any other input is appreciated.

harmonyisarine
02-15-2011, 12:00 AM
I actually found that most people I asked who'd seen the movie but not the series liked it, mostly for the visuals and the fighting.

I liked it too, but I do have some issues with it. Mostly everything that I disliked was due to the length of the movie, something that I read was actually set by Nickelodeon (who kind of are horrible people, as evidenced by their brutal decisions when they aired the third season (most especially the third, I should say), and money-making decisions they've made in other shows). Nickelodeon is still convinced that their main Avatar fanbase is 5 years old, and so didn't want the movie to be long (is what I gleaned from the article, I have no way of verifying this claim). The pacing and characterization is weird or missing, which is due to the length. Some great storytelling choices seem really silly because there was no time to explain them. The name pronunciation change bothered me but wasn't a dealbreaker, and at least he had a reason (though the fans were used to the other way, so his reason wasn't a good reason...).

But then I really liked what M. Night did with Zuko and Iroh's arc, and his more in-depth look at Aang's past. There were some really interesting changes to the story, and yes, the visuals really are stunning (anyone who says otherwise is just looking to hate on the movie, ILM does not slack).

In the end, all I can say is that you're the only one that can decide if you like it. I'd say watch it (try to borrow or rent it if you're concerned), but keep an open mind because it is a 90 minute movie, not a 10 hour series.

I'm not an M. Night fan, actually can't stand the guy as a director/screenwriter, so this was not biased in any way by that.

daylight
02-15-2011, 12:25 AM
hmmmm, I herd from absolutely everyone that I asked that is was terrible

I never saw it cuz I was running around boycotting and protesting it. hahah good times.
But ive seen clips, and I can certainly believe everyone when they say its bad. For a start- the mispronunciation of the names would annoy me to no end...

02-15-2011, 01:31 AM
hmmmm, I herd from absolutely everyone that I asked that is was terrible

I never saw it cuz I was running around boycotting and protesting it. hahah good times.
But ive seen clips, and I can certainly believe everyone when they say its bad. For a start- the mispronunciation of the names would annoy me to no end...

I don't mind the mis pronounced names or the white wash cast if it wasn't a bad movie. But since I hears it was a bad movie and was rated m nights worst movie those little things will add up dramatically. I wish they could just reboot the whole movie with more screen time, better actors, and a solid script. Hmm I might wait on watching the movie depending on how the next trailer looks...

crimson001
02-15-2011, 11:50 AM
I was willing to judge it based on the merits of it as a movie, not as an adaptation of a series. But one of the big things that bothered me is the way they did the bending. I like how the benders movements make the element move accordingly, and if I recall they did manage to catch a little bit of it. But it felt really disjointed. The actors would move, stop, and then the bending would occur. It made me wonder why the people didn't just whack them while they were doing the complicated movements if nothing was happening right at the moment. The way the series did it made more sense in that way and if the movie had made it the same it would have been a slightly better motion picture, in my opinion.

The actual elements moving was cool. The special effects in that sense were rather interesting. Appa just looked odd in my opinion, but that can be from trying to transfer him to something that looks remotely realistic. I got really hung up on the names because the way Sokka's name sounded made it sound like some soap thing.

ubercaledor
02-21-2011, 09:15 PM
We went to see it to judge it on its own merits.

The effects were ok, I thought the acting and casting was quite good considering the abysmal script adaptation. There is some dialogue that really doesn't allow the actors to sound good, no matter how much they try.

I didn't like the stripping of the show and characters back to how they may have been "originally envisioned", e.g. Sokka was quiet and resolute, rather than wacky/happy-go-lucky.

Overall the movie was ok, but for the direction and production. Probably worth seeing, but don't expect too much.

tunesonatuesday
02-27-2011, 03:33 PM
I usually try to look at a movie remake as its own thing, and not compare it to its reference material. I try to determine if its a good movie in its own right without constantly comparing it. That being said, I thought it was a horrible movie. One of the things that stood out for me was the bending. It was stilted and awkward. In the series the water would follow the movements of the bender, making it smoothly move through the positions. In the movie it was like they did a series of movements like a Power Ranger, then the water would just lift up and do something. The bending movements weren't related to the movement of the element at all. Airbender IS its bending, it's one of the things that makes the show what it is, so I can't believe they messed up something so important. Even the firebending just looks... wrong. Firebending is supposed to move in quick burst and sweeps, but in the movie it just sort of... burns suspended in the air... it's hard to explain.

Also, as others have mentioned, the timing of the movie allowed for no character development, or empathy toward the characters at all. Sokka was cold and emotionless, and Katara just seemed like she was depressed or something. They were all just very serious business about their mission. For a movie that was supposedly supposed to attract the interest of children it wasn't even interesting to watch as an adult. I realize that there's a war, but The Last Airbender was never a "war story" so all the stoicism made it much less interesting.

I downloaded a recording of the theatre movie, because like daylight I spend most of the time boycotting and protesting just about every choice they made for the movie, not to mention the rampant racism (I won't get into that here) but I still wanted to see it, because you need to be informed about what you are objecting to, don't you? I didn't want to be like those people who try to get books banned without reading them first, just because they heard there was something dirty in it.

I have very very strong opinions about this movie, so I tried very hard not to sound like an ass, and I'm sorry if I did.

Kesra
03-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Costumes and scenery would be the ONLY reason to watch this movie, to be honest. When you have six year olds walking out of the theater talking about how that movie sucked, you have a terrible movie. That anyone at all likes this movie boggles me but I'm no one to question taste.

Akiyhrah
03-20-2011, 04:49 PM
I couldn't even finish watching it. The acting was very bland, the characters' personalities were changed and they were ALL boring, the names were pronounced HORRIBLY wrong, and they cut out like, all the storyline. And what they didn't cut out was changed.
It SUCKED!!

LunaNera
03-21-2011, 06:47 PM
I enjoyed the production design and costumes... everything else makes me want to punch Shyamalan for ruining something so good.
I do fully blame him for the mess the movie was, he wrote and directed it. I know at least some of those actors can act emotion, they have in other movies >_<
I just wish a good director and writer got a hold of this first.

Syagria
03-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Honestly? It was pretty awful, on multiple levels. First, there are the standard fan complaints: cutting out the Kyoshi Warriors completely, changing the name pronunciation, racial issues in regards to casting, the complete rewriting of both Sokka and Aang's natures (Sokka had no humor, Aang had no charm)...

Second, as a movie itself, divorced from source material, it was bad. The dialogue was wooden; there were entire conversations that didn't make sense (example: Aang, returning from the Spirit World with information on how to defeat the Fire Nation's seige of the Northern Water Tribe says: "I know what I have to do." Katara answers, "Aang, we have to go." What?). I think the kids could have been well-chosen, and could have played their parts well, except that Shyamalamadingdong doesn't know how to direct children.

In spite of this, it could still have been a fun kung fu flick, except he doesn't know, either, how to direct an action/martial arts movie. He opted for cinematography that mimicked that of "The 300:" constantly abruptly flopping between broad wide shots and sudden extreme closeups and, simultaneously flopping between regular speed and slow-motion. I understand that Noah, the kid cast to play Aang, is a martial arts whiz, but what's the point of having a martial arts prodigy playing a role when the camera never sets up a shot that lets the audience see what the kid can do? For a movie about a set of cultures based on the notion of balance, the directing and cinematics were decidedly UNbalanced, and overproduced with a heavy hand.

Shyamalan also failed to follow the advice every English teacher since 7th grade gave me: show, don't tell. The kids were given absurdly weighty and unweildy dialogue to push their way through; the audience is told all about the bending, and the Fire Nation's war, and this and that - but little of it is shown, and what is shown is shown poorly (20 martial arts moves that ultimately culminate in the movement of a pebble while Fire Nation soldiers stand there and watch instead of interrupting). Every scene started with some new epic panoramic shot of the computer-generated countryside, and some overdub about the wonders of the Northern Water Tribe city or wherever, but, looking through the impressive visuals, the scenery felt hollow and empty and fake.

It performed so abysmally and was so throughly disliked that the studio has pulled the plug on the live-action franchise. No one will touch it after this, which is a shame, since in the hands of a Peter Jackson or one of the Harry Potter directors, this could have been a true epic fantasy trilogy. Alas, there will be no Toph.

03-22-2011, 06:35 PM
I didn't know they pulled the plug on the movie! Thankfully they did tho. It was a rushed product too. Hopefully in a couple of years they will be able to reboot it with a proper cast, director, and story. Now I know not to err go near that movie!