PDA

View Full Version : New around here ^^;;

Rime-chan
02-16-2011, 02:44 AM
Hello!

So, I've been in Japan about 6-7 months now, and it's really grating on me that i haven't really been able to cosplay! I'm sure you can imagine my pain. I have no one to cosplay with and how i used to do it back in the states was making friends on this site.

I'm not trying to seem like a weird creeper or anything, I just want some cosplay buds so far from home >.<

kiratsukai
02-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Welcome to Japan.

There are quite a few of us in the country ~ but not all clustered in the same place. There's a small pocket that gathers in Tokyo and another that gathers in Osaka, but our living places are generally too far apart to form dedicated groups or hang out with everyone on weekends.

Your best bet in making friends while you're here, both with Japanese and with other foreigners is to read up on event rules and etiquette, make yourself an account at cosplayer's archive or Cure, make some cosplayer cards with those accounts attatched, and start getting out there. It'll be a little uncomfortable at first, but you'll figure it out.

Sort of like anything else, those of us who have become friendly have done it by attending the same events, meeting and then staying in touch after the fact ^^

Highly recommend making plans to attend as many of the "big three" as you possibly can: Winter Comiket, Summer Comiket, Tokyo Game Show. Quite a few also attend World Cosplay Summit in Nagoya and Nipponbashi Street Festa in Osaka.

You'll be probably be able to meet the most people off this site at those particular events since we tend to travel for the largest ones.

Kxela
02-18-2011, 04:07 AM
Heya Rime-chan welcome!
I know the feeling well too, I used to cosplay tons back in the States... but once I got here I ended up not doing so for about an year and a half! (well, mainly cause I was busy with other stuff) but finding other buddies to cosplay with really helped me get back into the spirit recently :)

Making friends could be tough in a foreign country even if you do attend conventions and stuff, unlike conventions back in the states many people have their routine planned out- so meeting new people can be pretty tough on spot (not saying its impossible, just can be hard)

I find finding buddies online and meeting up or planning stuff together before going to an event super helpful. So no creepiness there ;) plus its easy to meet other people when stuff is organized.

I'm fortunate enough to be living in central Tokyo, I've gone to several events around the Tokyo the last year or so. So don't hesitate to ask anything! :D