PDA

View Full Version : Did we forget how to make british redcoats?!

blinkyblues
02-16-2011, 05:21 PM
I must admit Iím new to the cosplay game but after I did my first real cosplay this last year I want to really get into it. My problem is Iím having a little bit of trouble getting started. I want to do some Hetalia cosplay but Iím having trouble finding any patterns that are remotely close to what I want to do.

Right now Iím looking to do, Dutch of Prussia, Revolutionary war England, and Chibitallia Austria

I really, really want to do Revolutionary war England but again I canít find a patterns even remotely close So I guess my question is how do you go about this beginning process? How and where do you get patterns? Do you ever just free hand it? I just need some help getting my ďsewing legsĒ so to speak. This would be a big help thank you.
(also idk how to post pixs)

Kelley
02-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Well, there are actual redcoat patterns out there - there are even low-quality "costume" frock coat patterns. The other ones I would need reference pictures for.

It depends on what quality you're looking for and how much you want to spend. Many people interested in the era of itself tend to put quite a lot of money into a good "redcoat" kit. If you don't have a very big budget or inclination, you might want to look as the "costume" patterns and alter them - it's certainly do-able. :)

CapsuleCorp
02-16-2011, 07:15 PM
There are historical patterns - search historical re-enactors and their related hobbies. There's more to costuming besides anime and people are still making historical clothing for re-enacting purposes.

Garen
02-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Patterns, yo. (http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=40&osCsid=6c136d532d265398810ebe299f11323e)

I dunno how authentic the Hetalia outfits are for the period, but if you're going all out, you'll need breeches, a weskit, a cravat, and a shirt in addition to the pants. The shirt and the cravat you don't really need a pattern for (PM me and I'll help you figure out what size rectangles to cut out), but the breeches and weskit it's better to get a pattern if you've never done it before.

Ironhill
02-17-2011, 08:06 PM
I am making an American Rev War costume for Costumecon using Recreating History patterns. The frock coat is civilian so doesn't have the colored facing but using Osprey military books as reference I managed to work it out. I know the uniform are the same (the U S used captured Redcoat uniforms they dyed brown).

Garen
02-17-2011, 10:47 PM
I am making an American Rev War costume for Costumecon using Recreating History patterns. The frock coat is civilian so doesn't have the colored facing but using Osprey military books as reference I managed to work it out. I know the uniform are the same (the U S used captured Redcoat uniforms they dyed brown).

I believe it was standard for units to have actual uniforms, and soldiers were expected to furnish their own jackets in the unit colours (which varied widely from unit to unit). Men who couldn't afford jackets would simply wear whatever they'd enlisted in, and many units didn't bother with uniforms at all and just wore hunting clothes. Later in the war there were attempts at standardization because of financial assistance from the French, but the Continental army continued to be a rather eclectic bunch as far as dress. Dying British uniforms is something I've never heard about, and I'd be interested in where you found that information.

Ironhill
02-18-2011, 01:10 AM
My main reference book is "General Washington's Army (2) 1779-83" by Osprey Books. I am making a late war outfit when uniforms started to be standardiized. The Colonies issued uniforms for their militias while the Contenial Congress provided for the Regular Army. The standard uniform was for blue coats with colored facings and waist coats. These colors changed depending which branch of service you were in (red for artellery, buff for sappers, etc). Also, each Colony had their own color. Because the Colonies were sometimes short of money or material to make the offical uniforms, they would use what they had on hand, even captured uniforms. Hence the brown dyed redcoats. There is a nice illustration of a New Hampshire private in a captured brown coat. This is based on the Orderly Book of the 2nd New Hampshire Regiment in the New Hampshire Historical Society Archives.

Scorpion89
05-07-2011, 10:50 AM
My main reference book is "General Washington's Army (2) 1779-83" by Osprey Books. I am making a late war outfit when uniforms started to be standardiized. The Colonies issued uniforms for their militias while the Contenial Congress provided for the Regular Army. The standard uniform was for blue coats with colored facings and waist coats. These colors changed depending which branch of service you were in (red for artellery, buff for sappers, etc). Also, each Colony had their own color. Because the Colonies were sometimes short of money or material to make the offical uniforms, they would use what they had on hand, even captured uniforms. Hence the brown dyed redcoats. There is a nice illustration of a New Hampshire private in a captured brown coat. This is based on the Orderly Book of the 2nd New Hampshire Regiment in the New Hampshire Historical Society Archives.

I wouldn't follow the Osprey book that wellit's a little misleading, as someone who is a Rev War reactor I might be able to help you on what your looking for. As for the later part of the war while yes most Regular Army folks had the stander Blue's issued to them allot of them didn't.

Ororo Monroe
05-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Amazon Dry Goods is a catalog company that has a wide range of period and theater patterns. And yes they have frock coats. Simplicity also had a frock coat pattern when Pirates of the Carribean came out. They still may have it.