PDA

View Full Version : Hellsing Costume Fabric

Demri
10-22-2003, 09:43 PM
Hey, all! I think I am going to be embarking on my first anime costume mission in the near future and I could use a little help... Alright, I'm going to be making Alucard's and Integra's costumes from Hellsing and I'm not entirely sure what fabric would work best for these. I'm thinking of using an olive rayon material for Integra's suit, but I can't really tell if this will work, and I have no clue what type of material would work best for Alucard. If anyone's got any suggestions, please let me know. Thankees!!

Ali
10-22-2003, 10:07 PM
Twill. Cotton Twill. I just used some of this stuff for a Vash coat. It drapes nicely, feels nice, and looks great.

otakutre
10-22-2003, 11:28 PM
I'm really no help at all except that I'm going to maybe inspire you a tad by showing what the group I was in did. The best shot of us is here:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=71152&password=&sort=1&cat=4867&page=1

I'm the Seras, Plaidavenger is Alucard, and Mythril is our Integra. We just sort of stumbled on that Schroedinger.

Anywho, Alucard's jacket was a miracle bargain fabric we found on clearance. It was keen because it was sort of two-toned. It was a sort of poly-cotton, I think, and changed from red to black depending on how light hit it. You may want to not disregard your baragin fabrics is what I think the moral of this story is.

Our Integra found a suit, I believe, at a thrift store and altered the buttons to make it more or less double-breasted. I do believe it was crepe-like.

I chose this picture because it shows how the light plays off both their costumes. It's in my friend/roomate's (Marisolita) gallery and she has more of the same if you feel the need to browse. You can attempt to PM either of those two for more info. Theoretically. I'm not sure our Alucard knows what polyester is. We're amazed he got the coat together. ^_~

Eleryth
10-23-2003, 12:08 AM
Most Integras I know have bought and altered a suit, but if you want to make one, they sell fabric called 'wool suiting', and its used for (you guessed it!) making suits! It can be expensive if you don't find it on sale, though. I think altering is the best bet.

Haven't made Alucard myself, but I think a friend used a heavy cotton. Looked pretty good. Pics are somewhere on stillvisions.com, I think.

Good luck and have fun!

wmott22
10-23-2003, 03:41 PM
Hey Guys and Gals

I am also trying to do my first anime costume and its going to be Alexander Anderson from Hellsing (You know the crazy Sword Dancer Priest?) Well anyways I am having a really hard time picking out fabrics and also getting referance pictures because I only have the anime in .avi format and when I try and print screen from it all I get is a black picture so if anyone could help me pick out fabric for his costume and also help me get some pictures that would be great. I hate to ask for all this help but I am a newbie and this is my first costume and it seems when I ask for help just in a thread I make I don't get any replys :bigcry: Well I hope I get some more help this time around.

wmott22@hotmail.com

Koumori
10-23-2003, 03:58 PM
For Integra's suit, make sure you get something with enough body and drape to make it look convincingly like a business suit - nothing ruins the look of a suit faster than fabric that's too thin or flimsy. Wool suiting, which is usually a wool/poly blend, would work well. Rayon, I think, would be too drapey for the tailored look of her outfit.

For the poster who was looking for pictures, have you tried searching on a search engine such as Google or Yahoo? This should be your first step.

wmott22
10-23-2003, 04:05 PM
Yes I have tried looking on google and yahoo but no such luck :( I feel my costume is doomed for failure:(

Koumori
10-23-2003, 04:54 PM
I just entered "hellsing anderson" into Google and got about 30,000 hits...

Ali
10-23-2003, 06:45 PM
As an Integra cosplayer who went with a wool suit, I would highly recommend against wool. IT'S HOT. It is not con-friendly fabric.
I'd still cast my vote for twill.

Demri
10-23-2003, 09:24 PM
I think I will look at the twill... I don't use any animal products, so that rules out wool... Thanks for all the advice - hopefully I'll happen across some fun finds! Btw, does anyone have any ideas about the glasses? I want to have glasses just like Integra's if I can (and I also need the same exact pair - without "arms" or whatever they're called) for a Shion (Xenosaga) costume. If anyone has suggestions about that, I'm all ears. :)

Ali
10-24-2003, 04:49 AM
Sorry... I had owned this really tragic pair of silver roundish-framed glasses... wore them for a whole year before I realized I looked stupid. Fortunately, they're coming in handy for cosplay.
I'd shop around for reading glasses, or, if you're willing to splurge, check out some frames at LensCrafters or an Optomitrist or even online frame suppliers (just run a search). They'll probably allow you to put in fake lenses if need be. (Integra being one of the few costumes where glasses glare is okay.)
I'm really impressed about your attention to detail, though... I'll look forward to seeing the finished product!