PDA

View Full Version : The raves and opinions on "Ravers"?

Betta
02-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Alrighty. So everybody pretty much knows about the raves at cons. Well, I have a problem with people saying "Oh I'm an old school raver and that's not a rave. It's crap and how dare u call urself a raver!! Grawwr rawrr rawrrr!!!" I thought there was this thing called P.L.U.R where u love and respect people, even if they aren't ravers? I mean if the scene died out years ago then why not let those who didn't experience it make their own and have fun? I think it's fun. Other people do too. So I don't think they should have people tell them that it's stupid and ignorant if they're busy having fun.:heart:

Kildread
02-18-2011, 09:30 PM
I don't care about 'the scene' or 'real ravers'.

If people want to label themselves and feel entitlement from it, they can go right ahead. I'll enjoy part of the party in the meantime.

Cadmium Polyphony
02-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Con raves tend to be fairly 'non-denominational'.

Hardcore ravers may or may not be a strong presence at any given con dance, but I've never experienced any form of discrimination to anyone who might not be one.

As for my opinion on raves: I like to dance. As long as it's safe, I'll do it anywhere.

As for my opinions on ravers: dont really have one.

Volnixshin
02-18-2011, 11:06 PM
I have no clue as to what PLUR meant. I assume you meant Pluu from RAVE Master, and thus were being awesome with your carrots and tea

Amanita
02-18-2011, 11:15 PM
P.L.U.R= Peace, Love, Unity, Respect- allegedly a code followed by the rave community.

Volnixshin
02-18-2011, 11:18 PM
That's lame. Surely they didn't come up with that

MisaChan
02-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Aren't traditional ravers supposed to pass out "kandy" to everybody at the raves(home made bracelets)? :P

Volnixshin
02-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Back in the 90's, I don't recall "Kandy" or "plur"

I recall lots of dancing, actual good dance music, and great drinks.

the world today.... sigh

toshirua3846384
02-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Alrighty. So everybody pretty much knows about the raves at cons. Well, I have a problem with people saying "Oh I'm an old school raver and that's not a rave. It's crap and how dare u call urself a raver!! Grawwr rawrr rawrrr!!!" I thought there was this thing called P.L.U.R where u love and respect people, even if they aren't ravers? I mean if the scene died out years ago then why not let those who didn't experience it make their own and have fun? I think it's fun. Other people do too. So I don't think they should have people tell them that it's stupid and ignorant if they're busy having fun.:heart:

This sounds like petty high school drama in all honesty. I personally do not appreciate sub-human microbe labels like emo, scene, goth, raver, etc. to me labels are a tool for separation and things below normal intelligence or inanimate objects. I mean whatever happen to the word "human;" i would like to accept that one. What you should do is just have fun and ignore it. People are really pitiful and ignorant for the most part and thats not going to change, and to feed on their rage is just going to make it worse. Just do you and move on.

rubyspitfire
02-19-2011, 01:56 AM
the rave community is not dead here in the least. one of the haunted houses holds raves twice a month during their off season with two different djs in the two rooms. most of the people who go are over 21, so it is a far more mature crowd and although the booze and drugs flow freely there, for the most part people stay chill. part of the reason for that is a pretty steep cover for 18-20 and practically free for those 21+

i definitely wouldn't categorize myself as a raver although i love to dance and glowspin and really get into the music in general. as far as "raves" at cons, i call them kiddie practice ^_^ ex hardcore ravers who go off about them are just missing the glory days, ignore em and have fun like you paid to do

Yukikittie
02-19-2011, 03:59 AM
Awesome if people want to go to raves or be called "ravers". Hope they find happiness in doing it and enjoy themselves. I've never been to a rave, I'd like to someday.
Haters gonna hate, there are always going to be people who won't like what you're doing. Best to just ignore them.

glitter bomb
02-19-2011, 02:29 PM
wow. I had to check the date on the OP because I thought it was 1999.

seriously? are people still going on about this? is there some kind of time stasis bubble somewhere that I don't know about?

dance, don't dance. glow, don't glow. just don't be an @ss, keep your cigs and drinks off the dancefloor, don't butt-hump anyone, and it doesn't matter.

p.s. - @ Volnixshin - P.L.U.R. and kandy aren't some new "kids today" thing. they were a pretty integral part of the old skool rave scene. you must've just missed them somehow.

RoninEclipse2G
02-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Having been around for the REAL start of the rave scene, (which sucked unless you had a really good DJ, IMO) I find con raves to be a LOT more fun, cleaner and not at all skeevy. You don't have to worry about all the drunk, high, and rolling idiots that are smoking like chimneys, trying to feel you up or steal your wallet. (sometimes all 3 at the same time O_O' )

In my experience, con crowds are generally cleaner (yeah some forget to bathe during con), drug free, and much more respectful about personal space. Gimmie a con rave over a real one any day.

Mangochutney
02-19-2011, 06:38 PM
I thought there was this thing called P.L.U.R where u love and respect people

And I thought there was thing thing where pretty much everybody is a jackass sometimes even if they've got an acronym! Oh my, I don't see how our views can be reconciled peacefully...

...rap battle?

Rosemary_red
02-19-2011, 06:57 PM
It's just a dance party so those gruppy people who can't just shut up and learn that we all haveing fun and to mess around with other people with that whole rule bullshit. becuase when you dance there are no rules.

glitter bomb
02-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Oh my, I don't see how our views can be reconciled peacefully...

...rap battle?

THUNDERDOME! ooh.... RAP BATTLE THUNDERDOME!

TheseResinWings
02-20-2011, 03:25 AM
Just stop worrying about what others have to say ;) If you enjoy something enough you shouldn't let "standards" get in the way of that.
I'm only a raver when it comes to cons, so I don't get flak very often about "not being a true raver". Plus, it helps that I don't look like the type to rave, on a daily basis (I've told people that I live for con raves and they looked at me like they had been pinched in the ass, like they couldn't believe it).

kiratsukai
02-20-2011, 08:08 AM
...rap battle?

Wouldn't a dance battle be more raveish?

Volnixshin
02-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Wouldn't a dance battle be more raveish?

With rap being considered "dance music" these days, I doubt it.

That's a peeve. I can't go to any club anywhere, even so called trance clubs, without rap being the one and only thing they play. Sandstorm is even a rap voiced over song. It's really sad.

fullbleed
02-20-2011, 12:16 PM
I've never been to a con rave, don't think we have them at MCM. Maybe they do it in the evening but I think you need a weekend ticket and I always just get a day ticket. Whatevs.

Last night I was at a gig and it was the closest thing I've been to that could be considered a rave I'd imagine. But strobeing lights, smoke, huge bass, class dubstep and a MC, not sure how a con rave could compare. But alas I think it's more of an American con thing so I'll probably never know, all I know is that last night was sick and I am bruised as fuck. (Magnetic Man is who they were if anyone wants to know.)

UsakoLuna
02-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Rave on little neon children. Rave on

Axelai
02-20-2011, 01:34 PM
I was a raver before it was cool!! D< D< D< D<

But srsly. I was a raver back in the day. We went to smaller raves and such, where like... it wasn't very big, etc. But after raves started getting bigger and less underground, more bad things started happening there. It was relatively safe at our smaller, more fun raves (at least, as safe as you can get with a bunch of high kids cuddling and dancing).

But nowadays, i avoid all raves except con ones, really. Because of how dangerous it is. My friend's sister got randomly stuck by a guy (not asking him for it or anything) with a needle, and it had infected her with HIV. So really... that's not cool. I avoid that shit now o___o;; Never had a problem like that before.

And it didn't help that my friend from Nevada got me into it. In Nevada, at least where she lived, all raves were underground and relatively safe. But the ones here in California... she hated em. Too dangerous, too big, and just not the same kind of fun.

But really, if you like that dangerous, big, weirdness... all the power to ya. I'll just go to con raves in my raver cosplay outfits *thumbs up* c:

sam vimes
02-20-2011, 06:41 PM
I was a raver before it was cool!! D< D< D< D<

But srsly. I was a raver back in the day. We went to smaller raves and such, where like... it wasn't very big, etc. But after raves started getting bigger and less underground, more bad things started happening there. It was relatively safe at our smaller, more fun raves (at least, as safe as you can get with a bunch of high kids cuddling and dancing).

Aren't you eighteen?

Jentress
02-21-2011, 03:10 AM
It's just a dance party so those gruppy people who can't just shut up and learn that we all haveing fun and to mess around with other people with that whole rule bullshit. becuase when you dance there are no rules.

Do you mean grumpy people? o.O
If you want to dance and have fun, go for it. If people have a problem with how you dance, what you call yourself.. then it's their problem, not yours.

No rules? Well, if by that you mean, no rules on how to dance to the music/beat, sure.

I at least have dance floor courtesy not to dance in other peoples' "space". If I accidentally bump someone with an elbow or what have you.. I always turn to look and give the apologetic smile/nod gesture. For the most part, the more enjoyable dance nights I've been to, this was the most common ground rule.

kiratsukai
02-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Aren't you eighteen?

Teenagers usually mean "last year" or "15 months ago" when they say "back in the day"...

Maybe teentime is measured by percentage of life currently-lived.

On an unrelated note: Teentime would be a fabulous name for a bible talk program on EWTN.

rubyspitfire
02-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Aren't you eighteen?

a lot of high school kids either sneak out or lie or their parents just don't care. some kids start raving at 14/15. not saying this is what happened in axelai's case, but it's completely possible for young kids to be at these things

tifaia
02-21-2011, 10:30 AM
THUNDERDOME! ooh.... RAP BATTLE THUNDERDOME!

...I'd pay to see that.

Is anyone else amused when con's call their rave's "dance parties"? And I don't mean a ball or a formal masquerade dance. I mean portions of the program that are obviously raves but they call them "dance parties". I understand why they do it, but let's cut to the chase. It's a rave. Just call it that. lol

Axelai
02-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Aren't you eighteen?

Yes?

Teenagers usually mean "last year" or "15 months ago" when they say "back in the day"...

Maybe teentime is measured by percentage of life currently-lived.

I wonder how i can talk about an event before i was born. So i guess it has to be measured by life currently lived.

a lot of high school kids either sneak out or lie or their parents just don't care. some kids start raving at 14/15. not saying this is what happened in axelai's case, but it's completely possible for young kids to be at these things

I was at raves from ages 14-16ish. So yeah, i was young. But i didn't sneak out. My mom knew i was good and wasn't doing drugs at them, so she let me go. And none of the raves i went to were 18+. They were all ages events.

FunnyValentine
02-21-2011, 01:33 PM
I never went to any of the raves. On forums I have heard you really need to be aware of other people and I'm not in the mood to smack someone with a glowstick.