View Full Version : Advice on EGL dress in progress
10-23-2003, 12:52 PM
Not really looking for general critique, as I'm not done yet, but I have a couple specific questions:
1. What do you think about the petticoat sticking out from under the skirt? My roommate liked the effect, but I'd like some other opinions.
2. I ended up getting two pairs of Mary Janes and need to decide which to keep and which to sell. Which pair do you think would look best with this outfit?
3. I was originally thinking of green-and-black striped socks, but am afraid that it would be stripe-overload. What does everybody think? Any other suggestions?
10-23-2003, 02:07 PM
1. I like the effect muchli, stick with the petticoat showing.
2. The first pair I like better, but I think with this point, it realli is a matter of preference.
3. *nod* stripe-overload indeed. That would not look good... maybe tri black stockings with lace around the top, not full out tights.
Um.. suggestions... a smidgen of lace around your colar would look super kyoot^_^
10-23-2003, 02:22 PM
I like the petticoat sticking out. Either of those pairs of shoes would work, but the basic mary janes are a little bit generic, so for a little more stylish effect, I would go for the second pair, the double-strapped plats.
Stripe overload wouldn't be a bad thing. After all, this look is not exactly about subtlety.
Did you have a headpiece in mind?
10-23-2003, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I'm going to get a pair of custom-made green-and-black dread falls and embellish them with ribbons, flowers etc. ^_^
10-23-2003, 03:51 PM
i like the second pair of maryanes the best and i like the petticoat sticking out it looks nice! i was wondering tho where did you get those shoes?? i need some maryjanes ^^
10-23-2003, 04:54 PM
I found both pairs on ebay. ^_^ The second ones were from this seller: http://stores.ebay.com/id=26771024&ssPageName=L2
10-23-2003, 05:24 PM
I like the petticoat, although I do agree that striped socks would be too much stripes. The second shoes are so much cuter! (Although if you're tallish I'd recommend the first ones because tall person plus tall platforms can be kinda intimidating to any vertically challenged people, even when the tall person is wearing an EGL dress.)
10-23-2003, 05:59 PM
ty Sarcasm-hime ^_-
10-23-2003, 09:14 PM
oh! i love that dress!
i like how the petticoat sticks out from under the skirt but is there a way to pull it up so only the trim is seen? seeing both the trim and the petticoat material distracts me a little bit.
i also love the second pair of shoes because as i flip through my gothic lolita bibles i mostly see shoes with two straps. but i would choose on account of personal preference and how comfortable they are. now i must go buy myself a pair of both because they're adorable. ^_^
and i think solid black socks with or with out white lace or something is best.
i can't wait to see your whole outfit finished, it looks wonderful so far.
10-30-2003, 03:41 AM
I think only the bottom lace should be sticking out from the bottom. And I like the one-strap maryjanes better, would go with more outfits :D!
11-03-2003, 02:57 AM
can i just suggest that the dress would look adorable with a loli top hat, maybe black with green and gold ribbon on it?
11-03-2003, 11:10 PM
It looks great so far but I veto the petticoat sticking out. I think if do you want to leave it visible in some way, you should only show the lace and none of the tulle.
Also, "no" on the striped socks idea. The two-strap Mary Janes will echo the "stripes" on the dress without overkill. :) For hosiery, maybe white kneesocks with a green ruffle sewn to the top to echo the bodice?
11-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Personally I like pair #2
I don't mind the petti coat hanging out, but i'd add some thing to the lace colour wise. like a hint of green or black. I personally like 2 coloured petti coats, they look cutier to me.
11-04-2003, 12:36 PM
I'm not totally happy with the petticoat, so I might get a different one and splice them together (black and white would be good) or something. I wore this dress for Halloween with my hair in poofy pigtails decorated with ribbons and flowers, but eventually I will get the green dreadfalls to complete this costume. It'll be worn at some con or other next year...
Coming home from a Halloween party at a friend's house, some drunk guy called me Card Captor Sakura. I guess if she turned into a goth, she might wear this dress...lol
I like the white or black knee socks idea...with green lace of course. ^_^
11-07-2003, 07:25 PM
First let me say that I like it very much...
1. I love when the bottom of the petticoat sticks out but I agree with what the other people were saying about just having the lace trim sticking out.
2.I liked the first pair of shoes more but I'm biased since I think platfoams are ugly in general
3. The stripy socks with that out fit would be a total stripey overload. Definitly thinking it needs some black knee highs or maybe stockings in a green matching the waist cincher?
11-20-2003, 08:25 AM
i personally would like only the trim showing..
first pair of mary janes look muchos better...
and yeah...too many stripes :D