PDA

View Full Version : My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Cosplay

Pages : [1] 2

HareyuNanami
02-20-2011, 02:40 PM
XD!
People might think this is weird, but I LOVE this show! Its so cute compared to the original and I would love to do a human version of one of the ponys.
What about anyone else? Anyone else think they would do a human version of them x3

Yui
02-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Personally, I love the original series because it *isn't* very cute for the bulk of the stories - with all the mutations, pollution, deforestation, kidnapping, slavery, manipulation, sleazy con artistry, drug use, poaching, zombification, and general threatening destruction that was only occasionally interrupted by a musical number. >XD
…However, the new one, while cuter and "safer" is very well-written and the voice acting is fantastic, so I have been enjoying it anyway.

So, in actual answer to your question: yes, I actually have been thinking about this. And I can't believe I'm admitting it. ^_^; I plan to really only do outfits "inspired by" rather than literal bipedal versions (so no tails/horns/wings) though.

Emrys
02-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Totally! I would also do a human version, somehow.

Every time I try to figure out human!Applejack's design she just ends up looking like Megan from the one with the sea ponies. :P

Rivenchan
03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
How apropos. I just finished an MLP: FiM costume for a convention last weekend. If any of you are in the Pacific Northwest (Washington, or Oregon specifically) we should think about doing a group. ^_^

Here's a quick link to my Derpy Hooves cosplay: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/358373/

Emrys
03-08-2011, 05:36 PM
That's so awesome Rivenchan! I love how you have her mail bag too.

Oh, and here's a link to Fluttershy's sewing rant from Suited for Success: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h2jbzoyNhk

I immediately thought this part was cosplay relevant when I saw that episode, but it didn't seem like the general board would see the significance. I was going to clip it myself but this one is actually better because they subtitled what she's saying (pony talks too fast!)

Kingdomfiend
03-15-2011, 05:26 PM
In b4 "GASP! Bronie cosplay!" However :3 heres a preview of my up and coming Big Mac http://www.cosplay.com/costume/359516/

Ulqorimiforever
03-18-2011, 07:18 PM
i like old and new mLP. ITs soo cute! I would love to cosplay this show if i didn't have m costumes already picked out. I would love to cosplay pinkie pie. Shes just a funny pony!!

Nutcracker
03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
haha this is getting so popular now. I haven't had a chance to watch the show yet but it does look really cute. There will probably be a lot of cosplay from this in the upcoming cons this year.

koi-ishly
03-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Rivenchan- I love your Derby! You did a great job on it.

I can wait to get started on my Fluttershy! I have other obligations, but once those are done then this is going to take priority.

ToroSonyCat
03-26-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm planning on doing a human/gijinka version of Pinkie Pie and hopefully with my friend who says she might be a human/gijinka version of Fluttershy or Applejack :D

Gabbyv23
03-27-2011, 01:19 AM
I'd looooooooooooooove to cosplay Zeccora but I don't think I could pull it off ;.; her hair's too short!

LovelyOmen
03-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Wow, I can't believe I find myself tempted to cosplay for this,. xD I haven't watched the show ever and I tend to stay away from the 'cutesy' things.

koi-ishly
03-27-2011, 04:51 PM
LovelyOmen- be drawn in by the cuteness! We need more mlp love!

I would love to get a group going for AUSA... I just hope that I'm able to keep my promise of starting it.

Ulqorimiforever
03-29-2011, 09:12 AM
its decided me and bff are going to do a MLP cosplay for 2012 for Katsucon and Otakon. She wants to be twilight and Im going to be Pinkie Pie. So psyched!

RaeSeddon
03-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Not gonna lie, I marathoned six episodes of Friendship is Magic last night and I really liked it. It's great to see I'm not the only one entertaining the idea of cosplay from the series--I think I might attempt Nightmare Moon at one point or another--just seems that she'd be really interesting to do.

TeiShu
05-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Me and a bunch of friends are doing a MLP: FiM cosplay ourselves! Im the Rarity of the group and so far finding a wig has been troublesome. This may be because Im a novice cosplayer lol And trying to find the right outfit to portray such a stylish pony will be tough. But, Im willing to give it my all! I will not disrespect the pony name! :)

Stormraven24
05-08-2011, 05:09 PM
How funny I should find this thread when I just uploaded a sketch of my concept for Nightmare Moon to my Facebook xD

I've only been able to see three or four episodes, but I'm loving this series! I really like how they include little hint-hint-wink-wink moments for the older crowd. I think Nightmare Moon may be my next cosplay venture after my Monster High one is done; I've got most everything planned out, but it's going to be a lot of firsts for me, especially since I want to make her helmet out of Wonderflex (I've never even seen the stuff @_@).

ProjectAria
05-10-2011, 02:32 AM
I'm planning to work on doing a Twilight Sparkle after AX is over because I just don't have the time right now. Most likely going to go for a school uniform look with her.

Ulqorimiforever
05-12-2011, 05:30 AM
Scratch my last post here. Doing pinkie pie this yr for otakon. Apparently there is going to b a huge mlp photoshoot there!!! Yay! Taking lots if pictures!!

Archer06
05-15-2011, 12:33 PM
I cosplayed as Pinkie Pie from 'Suited for success' last month ^_^ Loved the costume because it was so cute ^_^ Plus i'm a huge MLP fan anyway. Have already done several of the older ponies. I'm also involved in a huge cosplay froup for FIM in august ^_^

http://fangirl-archer.deviantart.com/art/Oh-wait-I-know-STREAMERS-204101323

Kazephyr
05-15-2011, 01:08 PM
I... have loved MLP since I was 3. XD I'm totally doing this. I kind of want to be a unicorn, as an excuse to use something like this (http://www.etsy.com/listing/69208585/spiral-uni-horn-gunmetal-black) or this (http://www.etsy.com/listing/73172542/unicorn-headpiece?ref=sr_list_4&ga_search_query=unicorn+horn&ga_noautofacet=1&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade%2Faccessories). X3 Only in more pastel colors, obviously. XD

*Needs to watch more of MLP: FIM* I've only seen a few episodes of it... I do own a lot of the toys, though. XD I've always collected them. ^^;;

kadajkitten
05-25-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm going to be doing a pinkie pie gijinka, but I think people will hate me because I don't have a wig T_T

gules
05-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Oh man. So many MLP cosplayers! Now I feel insecure about mine... ;_; Oh well, at least I'm planning for it to be comfy, so even if I feel intimidated I'll still be cool! XD

Imaginational
05-28-2011, 01:15 AM
Whoa, other cosplayers of this amazing show? Awesome! :'D I'll be doing Rainbow Dash for one of the upcoming Comic-Cons, and (possibly) Pinkie Pie for next year's.

Mitten
05-28-2011, 06:17 AM
...I adore MLP: FIM and take pride in styling hair of the dolls I bought (which I said I would not buy). I'm not sure who to cosplay from it yet but I really would like to eventually. All of the artwork people create of the ponies' human versions keep getting better and better! I'd also love to see someone cosplay Princess Celestia after seeing this image.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/127/649/galloping_gala_2_by_french_teapot-d3hdj52.jpg?1306538967

mylilpazuzu
05-28-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm working on a Pinkie Pie costume as well, just trying to find a wig in the right color. ;)

FuntomKitten
06-01-2011, 11:15 PM
....My new dream cosplay is from MLP:FiM.
Yup, Fluttershy. But this is before watching any of the series, (only short vids of it and looking at the dolls) so that might change by the end of this week. Plus, I won't be able to do this until probably the end of the year. I'm already looking at a wig though, as she seems to fit me well and I like to be sure of what I want beforehand. *will probably start drawing up a design tomorrow*

Mitten
06-02-2011, 11:13 PM
....My new dream cosplay is from MLP:FiM.
Yup, Fluttershy. But this is before watching any of the series, (only short vids of it and looking at the dolls) so that might change by the end of this week. Plus, I won't be able to do this until probably the end of the year. I'm already looking at a wig though, as she seems to fit me well and I like to be sure of what I want beforehand. *will probably start drawing up a design tomorrow*

I’m thinking watching the series will only seal the deal. Although it’s possible you may find new ponies for potential cosplay~

foreverkanade
06-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Oh! That sounds like a fun idea! I want to do Fluttershy!

RisaSparkle
06-04-2011, 02:20 AM
I love MLP:FIM!!! I was tossing up between Pinkie and Rainbow Dash to cosplay, but with the lack of good rainbow wigs I've decided on Pinkie Pie! Got a design already in mind, going to find lots of candy jewellery to wear with it :D

I am so glad there is a thread for this, I cannot wait to see everyone's cosplays!

DictatorForLife
06-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I just recently decided to add a human!Twilight Sparkle cosplay to my Otakon lineup this year. I'll also be meeting up with my older sister's group of Apple Jack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash XD

English_Child
06-08-2011, 10:27 AM
I love MLP FiM!! I am so tempted to cosplay as the human form of Pinkie Pie. If I can get a group to go for A-Fest I'd totally do it.

Kiichigo
06-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Howdy gals!
I'm almost finished with the Applejack dress I started today - just need to sew the leaves onto the apples on her cutiemark ~ Don't know whether I'll make a tail out of yellow fabric, I plan to use a blonde wig for the hair and wear brown cowboyboots with it :)

But do any of you know where to get a cheap brown stetson? The closest I could find on ebay costed over 50 dollars <.<

Emrys
06-09-2011, 11:44 AM
But do any of you know where to get a cheap brown stetson? The closest I could find on ebay costed over 50 dollars <.<

Costume store/trick shop. Or query friends and relatives - you never know who might have random hats in the basement from some old costume party, or even the real deal.

han-pan
06-15-2011, 01:49 PM
\o/ I knew this thread had to exist somewhere!

I saw like three Applejacks at AnimeNEXT this past weekend. I'm considering making a MLP inspired sundress for my big sister's birthday, with her own cutie mark and all. She was the one who got me into it. :XD

crimson001
06-15-2011, 09:33 PM
I've just added a Fluttershy costume to my plans.

Dart:Dense Boy
06-22-2011, 09:20 AM
I made an Applejack Ginjka for Anime North this year :)

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/378953/

There are a few other pictures of some ponies and a spike in there :)

Monniemoo
06-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Love this show!!

I'm thinking of doing Princess Celestia with my own design and helping my gf make a costume for Princess Moon (Nightmare Moon after she goes little and good) with a similar design.

What I'm really focusing now is the DJ pony known as Vinyl Scratch (http://arch.413chan.net/VinylScratch-%28n1306033432631%29.png). I'm thinking it could be pretty simple- just a fitted white tee and some white skinny jeans- but I'm having trouble with the wig. I'm probably gonna end up buying clip-on streaks for the stripes of brighter blue...what I'm having trouble with is the shape of her wig, since it's kind of crazy and spiky and has an odd shape.

Does anyone have any suggestion for this?

Imaginational
07-02-2011, 10:19 AM
This is going to sound weird, but you know that one fan-fiction-Cupcakes? I'm cosplaying Pinkie Pie from that story to my next Comic-Con! I'll be making the cutie mark dress with assorted fabrics, cardboard/felt or foam Pegasus wings, and a unicorn horn necklace either molded out of clay or modeled with glass. I think glass will be much too expensive and hard to do, though, so I suppose I'll have to settle for clay.

Anyway, I'll quit rambling now. This is going to be fun!

Nephrae
07-02-2011, 11:25 AM
I made an Applejack Ginjka for Anime North this year :)

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/378953/

There are a few other pictures of some ponies and a spike in there :)

My friend, the male Rainbow Dash, is in one of your pictures xD
We will going together to Fan Expo this year with a big group of us as gender-reversed Ponies. I myself am going as Fem!Spike. Lawl. xD

Gabbyv23
07-02-2011, 06:59 PM
cosplaying Rainbow Dash...
I don't know what everyone's doing for tails (attaching and what not)...
anyway, I'll probably sharpie dye the wig.

1thousandclocks
07-02-2011, 08:16 PM
cosplaying Rainbow Dash...
I don't know what everyone's doing for tails (attaching and what not)...
anyway, I'll probably sharpie dye the wig.

Hard mode: bleach your hair and dye it into a rainbow. It'll make your hair 20% cooler

Tayyy-chan
07-02-2011, 09:13 PM
I started recording the series on my DVR, and now I WANT to go to bed early so I can wake up at 8 to watch it every day. OTL

Now, I've added Applejack to my cosplay list. It's either her or Fluttershy, but I have a wig that I can use for Applejack. >:C
I don't think I'm going to make a tail, though. I've had such bad experiences with tails at cons. People seem to LOVE pulling on my tails. Someone ripped my Gatomon tail last time I wore it. ;---;

Time to come up with a design. :'D

Kuriin
07-03-2011, 06:03 PM
This is going to sound weird, but you know that one fan-fiction-Cupcakes? I'm cosplaying Pinkie Pie from that story to my next Comic-Con! I'll be making the cutie mark dress with assorted fabrics, cardboard/felt or foam Pegasus wings, and a unicorn horn necklace either molded out of clay or modeled with glass. I think glass will be much too expensive and hard to do, though, so I suppose I'll have to settle for clay.

Anyway, I'll quit rambling now. This is going to be fun!
ô___ô That is awesome and scary.

I'm going to cosplay Fluttershy :D I actually wanted to do Dash but.. dat hair. and my personality fits Fluttershy much better. ;u;
Already ordered the wig, working on the design~ Gonna do wings but not ears or a tail. Does anyone have any idea how these (http://www.acparadise.com/photographers/40102/6423/63c70b8d0970957e40afae95c16728c1.jpg) guys made their wings?

Gabbyv23
07-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Hard mode: bleach your hair and dye it into a rainbow. It'll make your hair 20% cooler

haha! Even If I WANTED to do that the school would be pissed. (They have a rule again any dyed hair that isn't a natural color or red.)

Stormraven24
07-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Does anyone have any idea how these (http://www.acparadise.com/photographers/40102/6423/63c70b8d0970957e40afae95c16728c1.jpg) guys made their wings?

I believe their wings, ears, and horns are from Yaya Han's site: http://yayahan.bigcartel.com/products (they all look like the same models on her site, too)

But you could make your own wings out of craft foam if you want.

Kuriin
07-04-2011, 10:29 AM
I believe their wings, ears, and horns are from Yaya Han's site: http://yayahan.bigcartel.com/products (they all look like the same models on her site, too)

But you could make your own wings out of craft foam if you want.
Ahhh, okay, thanks. They're expensive.. ;n; will have to make some

Gabbyv23
07-04-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm thinking I'll make the ears and wings out of cardboard and fleece or something :/
or if all fails... Styrofoam and fleece. I'd much rather stick with the first plan, though.

siyrean
07-05-2011, 12:52 AM
gonna see if i can do fluttershy for fanexpo. i ordered an extra long wig for a tail but i'm not sure if i'll do one since my outfit will be based around the gala, which technically wouldn't show the tail anyways... not sure...

GraelynRose
07-07-2011, 12:30 AM
I've been sucked in. I'm hoping to have Applejack done by Otakon.

ToroSonyCat
07-10-2011, 08:52 AM
I watched some episodes of this and then didn't get around to watching more. I got addicted to it again now and really want to do a Pinkie Pie gijinka cosplay :D
I'm just not sure what kind of design to go for..

gules
07-10-2011, 07:41 PM
At some point I've wanted to do nearly every pony. >_> ;; Pinkie was the hardest to choose an outfit for, but I think tutus are popular for her recently, and they're definitely easy to make if that helps any. I wanted to do Pinkie this year but I couldn't fit her in around the others. D: I was gonna do my Pinkie voice all day and sing her invitation song, too...

*sigh* Oh well. I had to have surgery so straining my voice would probably be a bad idea anyway. >_> Maybe if I make it to AWA I'll give it a try.

Gabbyv23
07-10-2011, 09:48 PM
I wanted to do Pinkie this year but I couldn't fit her in around the others. D: I was gonna do my Pinkie voice all day and sing her invitation song, too....

THIS IS YOUR SINGING TELLEGRAM, I HOPE YOU FIND IT WELL. YOU'RE INVITED TO A PARTY BECAUSE WE THINK YOU'RE REALLY SWELL.

*inhale* yay~

han-pan
07-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Yep, almost finalized a design for my sister's Fluttershy dress. :D It's going to be an A-line sundress with a little front pocket that has a butterfly on it. I figure either a pink ruffle on the bottom OR pink lace on the neckline and along the bottom. Any suggestions as to one or the other?

gules
07-14-2011, 10:25 AM
I vote pink ruffle bottom. Then again, it also depends on how low the neckline dips. Plus, I don't like lace much since it always ends up feeling scratchy if it's near my neck. So I'm biased. >_>

But from an artistic standpoint, a thicker pink ruffle underskirt will be more reminiscent of the tail since it's pink near the bottom of her person. Assuming she'll be wearing a pink wig, you might lose some of the effect of the lace to the color of the overlapping wig.

nessabutterfly
07-14-2011, 07:44 PM
My 4 year old son has become OBSESSED with MLP recently and is requesting a Spike costume. I guess that means I'm doing a pony. I might go classic though. Of course, he's determined that I HAVE to do Rarity to go with his Spike. And he wants his little sister to be Rarity's little sister.

crimson001
07-15-2011, 05:46 AM
Yep, almost finalized a design for my sister's Fluttershy dress. :D It's going to be an A-line sundress with a little front pocket that has a butterfly on it. I figure either a pink ruffle on the bottom OR pink lace on the neckline and along the bottom. Any suggestions as to one or the other?

For my Fluttershy dress, I had a pink edge along the bottom and the neckline. I also had a ribbon I tied around my waist and put a bow opposite my cutie mark (ironed on towards the bottom)

But it's really your decision.

han-pan
07-15-2011, 12:23 PM
My 4 year old son has become OBSESSED with MLP recently and is requesting a Spike costume. I guess that means I'm doing a pony. I might go classic though. Of course, he's determined that I HAVE to do Rarity to go with his Spike. And he wants his little sister to be Rarity's little sister.

-vomits cute rainbows everywhere-
That would be flipping ADORABLE.

Gules & Crimon:
Thanks for the suggestions :D
I should have clarified--it's less of a for-cosplay dress and more of a dress she could wear, that SHE would know represents Fluttershy, that others who are into it MIGHT, but doesn't scream "ZOMG MLP." But, could potentially be worn as a costume too. So I guess just doing the pink ruffle would work :3
I'm probably going to do a scoop neckline I think P:

gules
07-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Please tell me you're going to Otakon. My husband is such a huge Rarity fan that he wanted to do Spike and Rarity so he could keep being in love with me. XD That is the cutest thing I have ever heard in my whole life. YOUR 4-YEAR-OLD COORDINATED YOUR FAMILY COSPLAY. *dies of sweetness*

Also, I saw a really creative and easy Spike cosplay somewhere recently. It did Spike's... um... spikes by putting them in a headband, and then the cosplayer wore a purple hoodie and pants. You could add a tail and more back spikes to the hoodie, and give him cream front pockets. Comfy Spike!

EDIT: Someone quick! Talk me out of doing Pinkie Pie! I've already got 3 cosplay for the upcoming Otakon!

nessabutterfly
07-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Please tell me you're going to Otakon. My husband is such a huge Rarity fan that he wanted to do Spike and Rarity so he could keep being in love with me. XD That is the cutest thing I have ever heard in my whole life. YOUR 4-YEAR-OLD COORDINATED YOUR FAMILY COSPLAY. *dies of sweetness*

Also, I saw a really creative and easy Spike cosplay somewhere recently. It did Spike's... um... spikes by putting them in a headband, and then the cosplayer wore a purple hoodie and pants. You could add a tail and more back spikes to the hoodie, and give him cream front pockets. Comfy Spike!

EDIT: Someone quick! Talk me out of doing Pinkie Pie! I've already got 3 cosplay for the upcoming Otakon!

No Otakon for me. I wish, but I'm on the west coast now, and even when I was in FL, we were never able to travel out of state for cons.

And this isn't the first time my son has picked our costumes. He chose our Carebears a year and a half ago (he wanted he and his sister to be hugs and tugs), and our Ponyo costumes (Sosuke, Ponyo, Fujimoto and Granmamere) he picked Squirtle for himself and helped choose Bellossom for his sister, and Mickey and Minnie were his choice as well. Oh, and he had a hand in picking Dopey, Snow White, and the Prince.

He went through a phase where he didn't want to cosplay anymore. I thought it was over, but then he started requesting costumes again. I'll make him any costume he wants within reason if it keeps him happy at conventions :) And he has a whole bunch more that he's picked for the future: Huckleberry Pie and Strawberry Shortcake for him and his sister with Mommy and Daddy as Sour Grapes and the Purple Pie Man, Murkey and Lurkey for him and Daddy to go along with the Rainbow Brite and Twink his sister and I already have, and he also requested Get Along Gang for Halloween this year. Cosplay is always more fun with a group! I'm just glad my kids love all of my old 80s cartoons :)

GraelynRose
07-16-2011, 03:43 PM
No Otakon for me. I wish, but I'm on the west coast now, and even when I was in FL, we were never able to travel out of state for cons.

And this isn't the first time my son has picked our costumes. He chose our Carebears a year and a half ago (he wanted he and his sister to be hugs and tugs), and our Ponyo costumes (Sosuke, Ponyo, Fujimoto and Granmamere) he picked Squirtle for himself and helped choose Bellossom for his sister, and Mickey and Minnie were his choice as well. Oh, and he had a hand in picking Dopey, Snow White, and the Prince.

He went through a phase where he didn't want to cosplay anymore. I thought it was over, but then he started requesting costumes again. I'll make him any costume he wants within reason if it keeps him happy at conventions :) And he has a whole bunch more that he's picked for the future: Huckleberry Pie and Strawberry Shortcake for him and his sister with Mommy and Daddy as Sour Grapes and the Purple Pie Man, Murkey and Lurkey for him and Daddy to go along with the Rainbow Brite and Twink his sister and I already have, and he also requested Get Along Gang for Halloween this year. Cosplay is always more fun with a group! I'm just glad my kids love all of my old 80s cartoons :)

Your son is awesome! :bigtu: Those are all amazing costume choices.

PockyAddict143
07-29-2011, 01:41 PM
My cosplay group and I are doign MLP:FIM for SacAnime Summer haha we're beyond excited and we're hoping there are more people there doing it so we can have a meetup xD

Axelai
07-29-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm doing a MLP:FiM group for ALA 8D We have pretty much every pony, including various background ones, haha! I'm the Pinkie Pie of the group :3

Kawaii_Kitty247
08-02-2011, 11:29 PM
My friend and I are going to try to get a group together for a con and/or Halloween soon! I've already signed on as Fluttershy and she's going as Rainbow Dash, and my other friend is going as Pinky Pie (we're gonna try to get the whole group soon! (: )
We wanted to do it kind of low-key and affordable though. We were going to make hoodies with the cutie marks, ears, manes, tails, and wings etc.

Does anyone know how to make a good mane and tail to attach to hoodies? What's the best thing to use? (yarn, fabric, anything?) Thanks in advance!

hollowchrist
08-03-2011, 02:49 AM
I want to do either Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy Gijinkas. Fell in love with this series even though I never ever thought I'd like a cartoon about ponies.

alchemy_girl
08-03-2011, 10:20 PM
I am thinking of doing a Twilight Sparkle cosplay sometime in the future. This would probably take less time to put together than my other FiM idea:

Pinkie Pie - The 'Cupcakes' Version!

Imaginational
08-03-2011, 10:24 PM
I am thinking of doing a Twilight Sparkle cosplay sometime in the future. This would probably take less time to put together than my other FiM idea:

Pinkie Pie - The 'Cupcakes' Version!

Well, well! I'm actually nearly finished with my own Cupcakes!Pinkie Pie cosplay! I'm excited to see that others share the same tastes as me, hahaha!

RisaSparkle
08-07-2011, 03:48 AM
I'm having a mini dilemma about where to put Pinkie's cutie mark...on one side or just on the front of the shirt? If its on the side, which side? What is most commonly done, and does it matter to people where? (I know, I'm a bit of a perfectionist! >.>)

Also, tails? Do people usually add tails to their pony cosplays?

Thanks guys :P

Axelai
08-07-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm having a mini dilemma about where to put Pinkie's cutie mark...on one side or just on the front of the shirt? If its on the side, which side? What is most commonly done, and does it matter to people where? (I know, I'm a bit of a perfectionist! >.>)

Well, I know one of the animators did human!Pony designs. He just put the cutie mark somewhere noticeable. As for Pinkie Pie, he put it on the front of the shirt. Though I was planning on putting on one butt pocket as well (just because it seems to be standard to check the butts of cosplayers- stealthily- to make sure they're ponies). I'm putting mine on the right butt pocket.

And I have seen some do tails, some not. I'm personally not doing a tail, as the artwork doesn't have one :3

In other news: My Pinkie Pie is nearly done! Just need to get shoes, and put the cutie mark on the shirt and shorts! But I have the rest!! I'm so excite!

lotus machine
08-07-2011, 07:02 PM

Well, the great thing about gijinkas is that you have a great deal of creative input. Rather than doing some designs, my girlfriend and I made our own versions of Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy. I put my cutie mark on the front of my shirt, but Kaitlin's shirt was so long it covered her butt, so we just put Fluttershy's cutiemark on the bottom of her capri pants. It was cute and fit pretty nicely.

Unfortunately, I'm having that same dilemma as of now with Rarity. I want to wear a black, high-waisted pencil skirt for her, and having her cutie mark design on the butt of an outfit like that...I don't know! I'm considering maybe having a necklace with the little diamond shapes of her mark, but I'm not sure yet.

I'm sure whatever you decide for Pinkie, however, will look great. =)

edit: A note about tails -- we didn't do any, and I doubt we will for Rarity and Sweetie Belle either. However, we also plan on doing some background character ponies, and if we do, we probably will add tails and ears simply to make them more recognizable, since the main cast don't really need them for people to be able to identify you.

Axelai
08-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Well, the great thing about gijinkas is that you have a great deal of creative input. Rather than doing some designs, my girlfriend and I made our own versions of Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy. I put my cutie mark on the front of my shirt, but Kaitlin's shirt was so long it covered her butt, so we just put Fluttershy's cutiemark on the bottom of her capri pants. It was cute and fit pretty nicely.

Unfortunately, I'm having that same dilemma as of now with Rarity. I want to wear a black, high-waisted pencil skirt for her, and having her cutie mark design on the butt of an outfit like that...I don't know! I'm considering maybe having a necklace with the little diamond shapes of her mark, but I'm not sure yet.

I'm sure whatever you decide for Pinkie, however, will look great. =)

edit: A note about tails -- we didn't do any, and I doubt we will for Rarity and Sweetie Belle either. However, we also plan on doing some background character ponies, and if we do, we probably will add tails and ears simply to make them more recognizable, since the main cast don't really need them for people to be able to identify you.

For Rarity, might I suggest something? Maybe use jewels (like bedazzling stuff) and arrange them in the shape of her cutie mark, on the side of the dress? Like... oh god I wish I could draw so I could show you what I mean.

I think jewels in the shape would be a bit more elegant than just slapping on a cutie mark.

Though the necklace idea is cute too!

lotus machine
08-07-2011, 07:16 PM
For Rarity, might I suggest something? Maybe use jewels (like bedazzling stuff) and arrange them in the shape of her cutie mark, on the side of the dress? Like... oh god I wish I could draw so I could show you what I mean.

I think jewels in the shape would be a bit more elegant than just slapping on a cutie mark.

Though the necklace idea is cute too!

Thank you so much! Dear lord, suggest away. I think that sounds really pretty as well. I was considering something like that. For Pinkie and Fluttershy, we used iron on transfers, and I simply don't want to do that for Rarity. She's too stylish for that, haha!

I'll look for some diamond shaped gems and see what I can do. If I can't use them on the skirt, I'm sure I can use them on a necklace, so it's a win-win either way!

For the outfit, I was thinking a short-sleeved white blouse with the black high-waisted pencil skirt, with hose and some simple high heels. What do you think?

livengood
08-09-2011, 05:03 AM
I'm actually doing a MLP gijinka group too. Though I don't believe we have our date set(I'm thinking it'll be ALA)

Right now, we have a Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and myself as applejack.

If any other applejack cosplayers are looking for a cowboy hat, but don't or can't afford a stetson. Look into a brand called Eddy Bros.

I dug some old hats out of the closet that were my grandfather's(he passed away in 83) inside were two cowboy hats. A black Stetson, and a brown Eddy Bros hat.

The color is a little darker then Applejack's hat. But it works well, and out of respect for my grandpa, I'm not going to cut a notch into the hat.

http://i54.tinypic.com/20u3mty.jpg

The picture is pretty yellow because of the paint and lighting in the room. But the hat is pretty close to applejack's hat color, and the shirt is the same color as her hair. I'll have a different wig for the costume(I just threw that one on quickly)

I'll have a couple other details added in. Like a handkerchief around the neck with an apple painted/embroidered on it, and a vest in the color of Applejack's coat.

I got my jeans too(a darker tan color) and still need to find some cowboy boots.

Also, the rarity cosplayer wants me to draw her boyfriend a genderbent Twilight sparkle. Though the poor guy isn't too keen on what she wants. She wants the more fashionable kind of look. But he wants something more like a graduate, or a wizard. I think I'd rather go with what he wants.

Yainawai
08-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Just trying to decide which pony to do. There are a few Fluttershys already going to ALA, so I thought Rarity, because I love her and she's not as popular. I heard there was no Rainbow Dash for the ALA group and I like her design best- is that true? If there is already a Rainbow, I may as well do Princess Celestia, since I'd have to dye a wig for either one. Decisions... ^_^; In Rarity's favor, I wear white glasses anyway, so could incorporate them into her design. Can anyone who's attending ALA let me know what the group is looking like so I can decide and finish my cosplay on time? Thank you very much!

Axelai
08-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Got my shoes for Pinkie Pie!!!! I am SOOOO excite!!! I just need to put the balloons on the shirt then I'm done!!!!

Just trying to decide which pony to do. There are a few Fluttershys already going to ALA, so I thought Rarity, because I love her and she's not as popular. I heard there was no Rainbow Dash for the ALA group and I like her design best- is that true? If there is already a Rainbow, I may as well do Princess Celestia, since I'd have to dye a wig for either one. Decisions... ^_^; In Rarity's favor, I wear white glasses anyway, so could incorporate them into her design. Can anyone who's attending ALA let me know what the group is looking like so I can decide and finish my cosplay on time? Thank you very much!

Why do you care so much that other people are going? Because if you do, then don't even go. We have a group of every single main pony, including various background ponies. XD;; Don't care who others go as. Because honestly, you will NEVER be the only one.

For the outfit, I was thinking a short-sleeved white blouse with the black high-waisted pencil skirt, with hose and some simple high heels. What do you think?

Well, Kreoss's artwork is this (http://kreoss.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d33v8m2). Which he told me that's a lavender knee length skirt. If you like that idea, I'd go with it :3 As long as you make her fashionable, you'll be fine!

rchcc122
08-15-2011, 11:34 PM
I have an outfit already for Pinkie Pie (I found all the pieces while thrift store shopping since my MLP cosplay I think will be my 'easy' cosplay XD ). I still need a wig that works, and shoes, but this is it: http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac57/Mooshc/PinkiePie-1.jpg (I'm trying to find more ways to make it pink/better. Does this look at least like a good start?)

However, my horse wanted to cosplay Pinkie Pie too. http://rchcc122.deviantart.com/#/d46pqbk I think his is better.... XD

Jisu
08-15-2011, 11:45 PM
...wow. XDD

Axelai
08-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Just going to show off my Pinkie Pie cosplay P: You can check it here. (http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/262855_267831476563338_100000094646487_1180258_350 142_n.jpg) I'm wearing the wrong socks (the right ones I have are pink and grey striped). And you can't see the shoes, but they're grey and pink converse. The backpack there is a MLP backpack XD

Thats the only picture I've got of it. It was just a beach cosplay gathering, haha.

EvilAuthor
08-21-2011, 11:22 AM
A friend of mine recently did a Big Mac cosplay. I got a little too excited about the idea. Found out my best friend had already started on a cosplay of my favorite character, so I asked Big Mac if I could do a G1 pony with their group.

So I'm making a costume based off one of my old toys. I've spent the last week trying to figure out how I'm going to make the multi colored wig

ProffesorElm
08-21-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm going to be the Cutie Mark Crusaders at IKKiCON, dressing as a different Crusader each day.

Edit: Change of plans! Still doing the CMC, but I'll be with a group. I'm Sweetie Belle, my brother's Scootaloo, and my friend will be Applebloom.

Imaginational
08-22-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm going to be the Cutie Mark Crusaders at IKKiCON, dressing as a different Crusader each day.

Oh, I was planning on a Scootaloo cosplay! Guess I wasn't the only one with the idea. c:

DictatorForLife
08-24-2011, 11:34 AM
I know this is kinda random, but while I was looking for pony cosplay pics from Otakon I noticed that some of the fandom seems to really hate pony cosplay. Even if it's good. Does anyone know why that is?

[It's kind of a personal note because I submitted this picture of my Otakon pony cosplay group [ http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s249/white-_-destiny/dsfghj.jpg ] to a pony tumblr that posts humanized ponies all the time and their first response was
"Ugh, we're going to lose so many followers" and then they deleted the picture and replaced the caption with "Oh god, that was such a bad picture."
Do you guys think I'm taking to much personal offence? ]

nessabutterfly
08-24-2011, 11:45 AM
I know this is kinda random, but while I was looking for pony cosplay pics from Otakon I noticed that some of the fandom seems to really hate pony cosplay. Even if it's good. Does anyone know why that is?

[It's kind of a personal note because I submitted this picture of my Otakon pony cosplay group [ http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s249/white-_-destiny/dsfghj.jpg ] to a pony tumblr that posts humanized ponies all the time and their first response was
"Ugh, we're going to lose so many followers" and then they deleted the picture and replaced the caption with "Oh god, that was such a bad picture."

That's horrible!! Every one of those costumes was a wonderful representation of the character. I hope they did lose lots of followers, because that behavior is ridiculous!

I haven't made my pony costume yet, so I'm not sure what the response will be overall from other con attendees, but I'm assuming (or hoping) that you just ran across one idiot who never learned the rules back on the playground.

ScarletRhapsody
08-24-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm also going to show off my Rarity (http://seescarletsew.tumblr.com/post/9144226379/the-art-of-the-dress-im-finally-at-the-end-of) cosplay that I recently finished. I'm still unsure of what kind of shoes I should wear. I do have a nice pair of white high heels. White Go Go boots would not flatter the dress even though it's based on a 60s bubble dress.

I recently attended the AX MLP meet up. I didn't have Rarity done before then, but MLP cosplayers seem pretty chill. It's funny because I had to school some of my buddies about Bushwoolies and the Rainbow of Light.

DictatorForLife
08-24-2011, 08:18 PM
That's horrible!! Every one of those costumes was a wonderful representation of the character. I hope they did lose lots of followers, because that behavior is ridiculous!

I haven't made my pony costume yet, so I'm not sure what the response will be overall from other con attendees, but I'm assuming (or hoping) that you just ran across one idiot who never learned the rules back on the playground.

Thanks.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did lose followers, but mostly offended cosplayers. It's one thing if cosplay isn't your thing, but I don't think there's ever a reason to be downright mean and snarky about it.

Imaginational
08-25-2011, 07:25 PM

That was terrible of them! I'd say that it was very right of you to take offense, those costumes were amazing and the people on tumblr obviously have no idea what is good and what is 'bad'. Just ignore the haters, I say, because, y'know, they're gonna hate.

Zab CKTV
08-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Is this the new meme? I might have to check it out! I've been in Afghanistan for a while and now I'm back and most of the folks around me are talking about MLPFM.

Megumi_Ai
08-29-2011, 09:34 PM
I am going to be cosplaying Sparkler or Rarity for TsubasaCon in October and I need some help.

1. What would be best to make ears and horn with ? I might be buying these but just in case I still would like to know.
2 I want to make a tail but I don't know what is good to use Do you think extentions would be good ?

wonderland-chan
09-01-2011, 10:53 PM
I am going to make Rainbow dash cosplay for youmacon 2012( I plan ahead). And I am planing to make moving wings, to make it 20% cooler. I all ready have some stuff for it.

silveranimegirl
09-02-2011, 06:57 AM
if anyone is going to sakuracon i got probably a total 3 ppl so far doing my lil ponies friendship is magic cosplay, there is already a forum started on sakuracon website for more details and trying to figure out things together =D

so far we got a pinkie pie, fluttershy, rainbow dash. love duplicates and other characters!

Lemonite
09-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Hiya everypony!

I just got home from a weekend at Dragon*Con, and the pony cosplayers I saw there have inspired me to do my own costumes for next year. I plan on doing Big Macintosh, Braeburn, Soarin, and one other undecided character.

I need some help with a couple of things, however.

The first would be a wig. With my dark, semi-long hair I will be able to do Soarin fine with a little dye. Braeburn and Mac ,however, are blonde. Seeing as how I'm unwilling to bleach my hair, does anyone have any suggestions for a wig site or something? Or better yet, a certain wig they have seen?

Then besides that, I'm in need of accessories for Braeburn. Anyone know where I could find a cowboy hat and vest that are at least mildly similar in color? Preferably a dark beige/light brown?

Thanks in advance, and any advice is much appreciated. If I think of anything else I'll be sure to ask.

Paul Hillier
09-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Bronies http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadragebunny/6114342068/

scandia
09-05-2011, 06:21 PM
I made my Rarity costume today! I love how creative you can be when cosplaying Ponies. The hardest part was making the horn and attaching it to the headband- but I made it work! I even have a tail in my costume. And I added my own personal touch to the cutie mark- sparkly flowers inside the gemstones. I am only missing a couple small details. Can't wait to wear it at AWA- it is my first time debuting a costume at AWA.

kimuhalu
09-11-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm planning a Fluttershy cosplay for ACen. So far I have the wig and supplies ready to make wings. I'm going an extra mile and making feathered wings. It'll be my first time making a pair, and I'm excited! I bought some very pretty heels, but these things are 5 INCHES. So I might just find a different pair of shoes, because I really don't want to kill my feet and walk .000001 miles an hour all day. The only other thing I'm having trouble with is a design for her dress. I have no idea. ACen is a while a-ways away so I've got time.

thewaffles
09-11-2011, 09:07 PM
^ For the dress, if you're feeling REALLY REALLY ambitious, maybe you could go for her Grand Galloping Gala dress! ( http://images4.fanpop.com/image/polls/784000/784421_1311637974022_full.png)

EvilAuthor
09-15-2011, 02:22 PM
I need pony wig help. I'm hoping to cosplay a pony with four different hair colors [I could get away with three if needed], but as these colors are typically seen on the same wig together, what should I do?
My colors are green, hot pink, white, and light pink.

ToroSonyCat
09-18-2011, 11:20 AM
I've come up with a vague idea for the type of Pinkie Pie gijinka I'd like to do!
It won't be lolita but it will have lolita infulences in it.

There will be a curly pink wig, pink bows as hair accessories, some pony ears, a pink lolita blouse, a pink skirt with her cutie mark on it, my replica Angelic Pretty miracle candy pink and white socks (because I think those would fit with all of the sweets on them) and my pink lolita shoes :D

Sorry this isn't really a good description but I know exactly how I want it to look in my head and I'm pretty excited about it! I don't really know when I'll get to do it though.. :(

toughtink
09-18-2011, 02:28 PM
I need pony wig help. I'm hoping to cosplay a pony with four different hair colors [I could get away with three if needed], but as these colors are typically seen on the same wig together, what should I do?
My colors are green, hot pink, white, and light pink.

i have two ideas for this! my friend is cosplaying celestia (or rather, trollestia) for halloween, and for her wig we were just going to get a long white wig to start with and use sharpies to dye the different parts of her wig the right colors (just coloring in the hair). the other idea i have is to use a site like dollyhair (which sells hair for the pony toys) or find some place that has many different colors of extensions and add them into a pre-existing wig. personally, i think the shaprie-dying sounds easier. good luck with that! :)

my friends and i are doing a pony group cosplay for halloween this year. we're going to have the mane cast plus celestia, big mac, spike, derpy, and possibly doctor whooves. i'll be going as rarity and i'm SO EXCITED! so far i have my shoes, blouse, and cutie mark, as well as a matching purse to carry things (always useful). my wig, skirt, and glasses are on the way.

one of my roommates is going as rainbow dash in a wonderbolts flight suit (which, i gotta say, is looking awesome), another is going to be trollestia (celestia+troll face), and the last will be twilight sparkle. their costumes look great already. eeeeeee! :D

EvilAuthor
09-19-2011, 03:55 PM
i have two ideas for this! my friend is cosplaying celestia (or rather, trollestia) for halloween, and for her wig we were just going to get a long white wig to start with and use sharpies to dye the different parts of her wig the right colors (just coloring in the hair). the other idea i have is to use a site like dollyhair (which sells hair for the pony toys) or find some place that has many different colors of extensions and add them into a pre-existing wig. personally, i think the shaprie-dying sounds easier. good luck with that! :)

my friends and i are doing a pony group cosplay for halloween this year. we're going to have the mane cast plus celestia, big mac, spike, derpy, and possibly doctor whooves. i'll be going as rarity and i'm SO EXCITED! so far i have my shoes, blouse, and cutie mark, as well as a matching purse to carry things (always useful). my wig, skirt, and glasses are on the way.

one of my roommates is going as rainbow dash in a wonderbolts flight suit (which, i gotta say, is looking awesome), another is going to be trollestia (celestia+troll face), and the last will be twilight sparkle. their costumes look great already. eeeeeee! :D

The marker idea sounds WAY easier and more affordable then the idea my mom had...which was sew three different wigs together.

And I do happen to have a new pack of multicolor sharpies.

Oh! And if I get a white wig, that opens up a lot more wig options then trying to find a green base.

Tatsu-chan
09-21-2011, 01:57 PM
so my friends just recently got me into mlp(never liked it as a kid so i didn't think I would like this but I was wrong) and I have decided to do a rarity cosplay. I ordered a base wig and a hat that I think will look nice and I will be making the shirt, bag, skirt, and I need to find some shoes.
Wish me luck.

Also has anyone seen any sites that sell largish costume jewelry so I can harvest some jems to go on things?

LovelyOmen
09-24-2011, 01:44 AM
Hey, just a quick question that's really a matter of opinion. I am going to be cosplaying as Applejack with my friends at a con. I found a version of her I would like to base it off of, which would be the Applejack in this image:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/128/c/6/friendship_is_magic_by_kaymurph-d3fxjvf.png

The advantage of this version is that she has reddish-orange hair, which is the exact hair color I have naturally. I was curious about anyone's opinions on an Applejack cosplayer having naturally reddish-orange hair rather than a blonde wig. The hair color choice looks good in the picture, but I am unsure if it could be reproduced in a cosplay well enough. Opinions?

Tealeafy
09-29-2011, 05:15 PM
@LovleyOmen: I think reddish-orange hair will look perfect, especially if you're going to do a human version of Applejack. It will look much more natural than a bright blonde wig.

Finished the concept for my Rarity cosplay. I'm so excited!

han-pan
09-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Did anyone see Amphigory's new wig? It's PERFECT for Pinkie Pie!!! ^______^

I designed my Twilight dress the other day, I'm super excited for it >w< But, still need to finish this Fluttershy apron. Working on the pocket today, then it should be done! :D

han-pan
10-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Finished my Fluttershy apron!!! \o/ What do you guys think? ^__^

http://images.cosplay.com/photos/30/3065268.jpg

Tealeafy
10-05-2011, 06:47 PM
@han-pan: Really cute! The ruffles are a nice touch. Very Fluttershy. ^_^

I need a little guidance. I'm working on my Rarity cosplay and I plan on wearing her sewing glasses. I've done tons of searches but I can't seem to find the correct style. First I searched: "50s glasses" and "cat eye glasses" because I assumed that was what the style was, but I was wrong. The wings on those glasses are far too exaggerated. Does anyone know the name/style of Rarity's glasses?

~ Reference:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110828161727/mlp/images/thumb/d/d3/MLP_FIM_-_Rarity_Glasses.png/830px-MLP_FIM_-_Rarity_Glasses.png

EvilAuthor
10-05-2011, 07:02 PM
@han-pan: Really cute! The ruffles are a nice touch. Very Fluttershy. ^_^

I need a little guidance. I'm working on my Rarity cosplay and I plan on wearing her sewing glasses. I've done tons of searches but I can't seem to find the correct style. First I searched: "50s glasses" and "cat eye glasses" because I assumed that was what the style was, but I was wrong. The wings on those glasses are far too exaggerated. Does anyone know the name/style of Rarity's glasses?

~ Reference:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110828161727/mlp/images/thumb/d/d3/MLP_FIM_-_Rarity_Glasses.png/830px-MLP_FIM_-_Rarity_Glasses.png
Do you mean Horn Rimmed Glasses? http://www.buzzle.com/img/articleImages/494663-5359-59.jpg
Modern horn rimmed glasses aren't much to look at, but some costume shops have them if you know what to ask for and I have seen them at WalMart on rare occasions.

Tealeafy
10-05-2011, 07:54 PM
^ Those are the glasses that kept turning up. They're great, but the wings on the side seem too curved downward. Thank you, though! I'll check out WalMart and see if they have anything.

han-pan
10-06-2011, 05:07 AM
Cat eye glasses I do believe is the correct term. You just have to find the right era.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/80111632/vintage-50s-eyeglasses-green-cat-eye?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=cat+eye+frames&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=

http://www.etsy.com/listing/64357618/extreme-winged-frame-france-white-pearl?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=cat+eye+frames&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=2&ga_async=1&ga_method=page&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

Unfortunately they can get pretty expahnsive if you go with retro or vintage glasses online. I would consider checking out a thrift store!

TR Rose
10-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Hi Everypony! :)
I'm planning a Twilight Sparkle costume for later this year. The show just sucked me in and since a bunch of my friends are fans as well... a Pony cosplay group was inevitable! I ordered my wig and extensions (for the pink streaks) yesterday and I've started fabric shopping. I love the humanized pony aspect - it lends itself to a variety of different looks and very unique costumes.

han-pan
10-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Cool!! I am working on a Twilight as well. I think I have to put her on the "hold" pile for a little while, since my design is going to take an inordinate amount of fabric. xD;;

What kind of design are you going to do, TR Rose?

Stormraven24
10-06-2011, 03:43 PM
So, I've had an idea for a redesign for my Nightmare Moon costume. I'm hoping this one will be easier to make and represent the character more than my original sketch. I'll post a link to the finished sketch if anyone wants to see it (unlikely xD)....

scandia
10-07-2011, 01:29 PM
And yes, I managed to do 3 of my favorite Ponies for AWA. I did luck out at the Salvation Army and Goodwill with finding the base pieces. I made the ears and horns all by myself :)

Next will be another Pony I like- but I have not started her yet.

han-pan
10-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Totally met a girl today whose glasses looked just like Rarity's. It took an impressive amount of self-control to not point this out to her. XD;;

RisaSparkle
10-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Just a general question, what's the best way to affix the cutie mark onto a shirt/dress? I was thinking transfer paper but my printer isnt an inkjet, so it wouldn't work. How has everyone else done it, I need some ideas!! :P

kimuhalu
10-09-2011, 01:19 AM
I was planning to applique mine on my Fluttershy dress. You might also try looking at fabric paints. Felt could be an option too.

RisaSparkle
10-09-2011, 01:37 AM
I was planning to applique mine on my Fluttershy dress. You might also try looking at fabric paints. Felt could be an option too.

Oh I never thought of fabric paint! I was thinking felt could work, but I might look in to applique too, thanks for the tips! :D

Kitsune
10-09-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm currently working with fabric paint to make a Cutie Mark Crusader cape. I'm finding myself really pleased with the result, though it's hard to keep a steady hand. XD

Darn you friend and Dragon*Con, finally pulling me into this show! I have like three MLPFiM costumes planned now: Applejack, Mayor, and Scootaloo. I'm really excited with how close Scootaloo is to being complete. I'm a little sad I can't find many example of Scoot being cosplayed for inspiration, though it just means I get to play around a lot with the design! XD I see others in here planning Scoot - I hope y'all get photos up soon! <3

Gemelli
10-09-2011, 04:15 PM
A couple of friends of mine organised a MLP group for next year, and I've decided to join in as Twilight Sparkle, because she's my favorite of the bunch! I'm sooo looking forward to that group. :D It has grown to be rather big, and we have some of the side ponies now as well.

I'm still wondering what I should do with my gijinka version, but I have plenty of time at least. xD

scandia
10-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Twilight Sparkle's cutie mark was painted on the fabric with fabric paint.

Rarity's cutie mark- which has 3 gems- involves fabric glued to felt, plus flowers sewn onto them. The marks are then stitched to the dress' fabric.

Luna's is fabric glued onto glue, then stitched onto the waist ribbon.

HopeForHyrule
10-12-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm planning a Fluttershy cosplay for next year, including an Angel plush to carry around with me.

Since it'll be a semi-humanized version of her, I was thinking of having a necklace made of her cutie mark instead of having it branded onto my clothes, but I haven't really decided yet. Any thoughts?

han-pan
10-12-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm planning a Fluttershy cosplay for next year, including an Angel plush to carry around with me.

Since it'll be a semi-humanized version of her, I was thinking of having a necklace made of her cutie mark instead of having it branded onto my clothes, but I haven't really decided yet. Any thoughts?

Omg! The Element of Harmony!!!

Kitsune
10-13-2011, 07:29 AM
I've always liked the idea of having the cutie marks represented in off-beat ways like jewelry; I think it's absolutely adorable. I'd definitely say go for it if it's what you want!

I'd love to see a group with their Elements of Harmony bling! XD

A question for you experts! <3 I'm going to be cosplaying Scootaloo in about a week at EXPcon. I can't figure out if there's anything else I can add to make it more "Scoot." What do y'all think? http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3071994/ (Ignore the wig, it's a mess and I had no wig cap). I'll have a scooter with me, have some colorful bandaids on my knees, shins, cheek, and hands, and I'll have baggy black socks. The design was very heavily based on Aizawa from Girl Got Game. XD I'm really excited to wear it, but I want it to be the best I can make it!

TR Rose
10-13-2011, 08:27 AM
I've started collecting materials for Twilight Sparkle, but I'm disappointed that the perfect lavender fabric I wanted for the top is sold out at all the JoAnns I've looked at (even the online store!) I'm going to have to change direction and make it from something else.

I'm not sure how much time I'll have to get it together, but I want to make her Harmony tiara and a big foam book as well! :)

HopeForHyrule
10-13-2011, 09:08 AM
I've always liked the idea of having the cutie marks represented in off-beat ways like jewelry; I think it's absolutely adorable. I'd definitely say go for it if it's what you want!

I'd love to see a group with their Elements of Harmony bling! XD

A question for you experts! <3 I'm going to be cosplaying Scootaloo in about a week at EXPcon. I can't figure out if there's anything else I can add to make it more "Scoot." What do y'all think? http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3071994/ (Ignore the wig, it's a mess and I had no wig cap). I'll have a scooter with me, have some colorful bandaids on my knees, shins, cheek, and hands, and I'll have baggy black socks. The design was very heavily based on Aizawa from Girl Got Game. XD I'm really excited to wear it, but I want it to be the best I can make it!

Ohmigosh, that's adorbs! I think that's pretty much as Scoot as Scootaloo can get, especially if you'll have a scooter with you. Love the CMC cape. Nice touch!

Duuuuude, I didn't even consider her Elements of Harmony necklace! That would be perfect!

Imaginational
10-20-2011, 02:26 AM
Hello again! I'm the girl who's working on the Cupcakes!Pinkie Pie costume-yes, I'm still working on it. |D

Anyway, to my point: I've gotten another idea - a version of Apple Bloom from Story of the Blanks, a MLP:FiM fan-game that I absolutely love.

My issue is that I'm not sure what accessories could make it "Story of the Blanks Apple Bloom" and not just "Apple Bloom". I plan on dirtying up the clothes and the like, but I was wondering what accessories could make it more like the game...I was planning on toting around a lantern, red gem, and rusty key...I wasn't quite sure about the lantern, as Apple Bloom doesn't actually carry a lantern in the game, but I figured that, if she were a human she may.

Anyway, I'll quit rambling, because I'm probably boring you all to death. Sorry! My question, in case if this is 'TL;DR', was this: what can I do to make my costume more like "Story of the Blanks Apple Bloom" and not just "Apple Bloom"? It's okay if you ignore this, I know that I'm probably interrupting something or other. I apologize!

Right, and just tell me if I'm posting in the wrong place. I'm relatively new here. D:

han-pan
10-20-2011, 05:52 AM
A link with some references would be super helpful, Imaginational! :D

TR Rose
10-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Got all my materials to start working on Twilight Sparkle!
There was this awesome lavender silky fabric I wanted for the top, but it's apparently been discontinued by JoAnns. :( Oh well, I did find some nice Kona Cotton in about the same color!

Imaginational
10-20-2011, 05:31 PM
A link with some references would be super helpful, Imaginational! :D

Ah, of course! I knew I was forgetting something. Sorry!

Apple Bloom (http://images.wikia.com/mlp/images/1/1f/AppleBloom2.png) looks, for the most part, the same in the game. Here's a screenshot from the game (http://images.jayisgames.com/fimstoryoftheblanks_title.jpg) (low quality, sorry), and this is the actual game. (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/573755) I can't find a picture of the gem/key I was talking about, but you don't really see the key in the game and the gem is kinda tiny, anyway.

Here's the plan for the clothes and stuff. (http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=14brf9k&s=7) Sorry, I'm not the best artist and the coloring is really messy. D:

I hope those links are allowed! Sorry if I left something out.

GraelynRose
10-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Ah, of course! I knew I was forgetting something. Sorry!

Apple Bloom (http://images.wikia.com/mlp/images/1/1f/AppleBloom2.png) looks, for the most part, the same in the game. Here's a screenshot from the game (http://images.jayisgames.com/fimstoryoftheblanks_title.jpg) (low quality, sorry), and this is the actual game. (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/573755) I can't find a picture of the gem/key I was talking about, but you don't really see the key in the game and the gem is kinda tiny, anyway.

Here's the plan for the clothes and stuff. (http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=14brf9k&s=7) Sorry, I'm not the best artist and the coloring is really messy. D:

I hope those links are allowed! Sorry if I left something out.

What have you done? I must keep playing.

LovelyOmen
10-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Hello again! I'm the girl who's working on the Cupcakes!Pinkie Pie costume-yes, I'm still working on it. |D

I was thinking of doing that, too. O: Any words of advice?

Imaginational
10-22-2011, 06:48 PM
I was thinking of doing that, too. O: Any words of advice?

Awesome! :'D

Well, for the dress, instead of sewing the cutie mark patches directly onto the base dress, I'm making an apron with the cutie marks that goes over the dress. It'll be easier and probably less restricting. The wings on the back will be strapped around my arms rather than attached to the actual dress so they don't flop around too much, and the unicorn horn necklace will probably be made of lightweight clay so they aren't a huge burden weighing down my neck. XD

So, I guess you just have to find ways to make it look accurate and yet still have it be comfortable. c:

ToroSonyCat
10-24-2011, 04:48 PM
I've pretty much decided that I'm going to cosplay gijinka!Pinkie Pie for May Expo.

I'm going to draw up a proper design but I have an idea in my head for a lolita-inspired (but not proper lolita and before any lolis jump on me, yes I know the rules and I won't try to pass anything off as lolita that isn't and it won't be tacky. Just trust me on this one.) outfit for Pinkie that I have plenty of items for it already. (Super poof petti, AP miracle candy replica socks, pink lolita shoes)

I've also spotted the perfect wig *___*

I was wondering though.. does anyone have any tips for the ears?

Anyway, to my point: I've gotten another idea - a version of Apple Bloom from Story of the Blanks, a MLP:FiM fan-game that I absolutely love.

My issue is that I'm not sure what accessories could make it "Story of the Blanks Apple Bloom" and not just "Apple Bloom". I plan on dirtying up the clothes and the like, but I was wondering what accessories could make it more like the game...I was planning on toting around a lantern, red gem, and rusty key...I wasn't quite sure about the lantern, as Apple Bloom doesn't actually carry a lantern in the game, but I figured that, if she were a human she may.

Anyway, I'll quit rambling, because I'm probably boring you all to death. Sorry! My question, in case if this is 'TL;DR', was this: what can I do to make my costume more like "Story of the Blanks Apple Bloom" and not just "Apple Bloom"? It's okay if you ignore this, I know that I'm probably interrupting something or other. I apologize!

Right, and just tell me if I'm posting in the wrong place. I'm relatively new here. D:

Omigosh, cupcakes!Pinkie Pie cosplay would be awesome, I've not seen anyone do that yet. I bet it'll be awesome and mildly terrifying, ahaha.

And I loved Story of the Blanks so that's a great idea too! But I don't know what I could suggest to you >< Lantern sounds like a good idea!

Imaginational
10-25-2011, 11:43 PM
I've pretty much decided that I'm going to cosplay gijinka!Pinkie Pie for May Expo.

I'm going to draw up a proper design but I have an idea in my head for a lolita-inspired (but not proper lolita and before any lolis jump on me, yes I know the rules and I won't try to pass anything off as lolita that isn't and it won't be tacky. Just trust me on this one.) outfit for Pinkie that I have plenty of items for it already. (Super poof petti, AP miracle candy replica socks, pink lolita shoes)

I've also spotted the perfect wig *___*

I was wondering though.. does anyone have any tips for the ears?

Omigosh, cupcakes!Pinkie Pie cosplay would be awesome, I've not seen anyone do that yet. I bet it'll be awesome and mildly terrifying, ahaha.

And I loved Story of the Blanks so that's a great idea too! But I don't know what I could suggest to you >< Lantern sounds like a good idea!

Eee, thank you so much! :'D

About the ears - normal clay tends to be too heavy, so I don't think you should use that, just for comfort...they might weigh down your head. o: I'm planning on making something on a headband, the ears out of felt with wires inside, or maybe papier-mâché, although that probably won't be smart, as it can break easily-right? I don't know much about papier-mâché or costuming in general, as this is pretty much my first. |D

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Kitsune
10-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Scootaloo was a success! I'm glad I made her recognizable, though I'll contribute that entirely to the Cutie Mark Crusaders cape. XD I fangirled over every Rainbow Dash I could find. <3

Also? Cosplaying Scootaloo has reawakened my love of riding a scooter. By the end of the weekend I was scooting around like a pro in the parking lot. Now to learn tricks. >D

Scooters gonna scoot. <3

SabienStrange
10-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Oh man, why did it take me so long to find this thread.
My pony-fu is weak. |D;;
That being said, I fell in love with the series shortly before AX of this year, so by the end of it, I just had to throw together a Fluttershy cosplay ( which turned out to be a very breezy costume, because dat atrocious summer heat ).

Right now I'm trying to work on a wintery version of her for ALA, if money/time/school allows me to get it done by then. I'm using these coats as reference for the basic design parts ( sans the extra AP doodads, of course ) : [ 1 ] (http://hellolace.net/wardrobe/ap/2007/outer/ap_coat_meltyheart_color1.jpg) [ 2 ] (http://hellolace.net/wardrobe/ap/2010/outer/ap_coat_vanillachanhoundstooth_color1.jpg)

I'm running into a few issues. I'm not sure what fabric to use for the coat itself. An employee at Joanns suggested I use fleece. I'm assuming this's the stuff that really soft blankets are made out of, but I wasn't sure if that would be appropriate enough for a coat, or if there was a better fabric option I could use? I'm a fabric noob. ;;
I'm also stumped as to what to use for the trim. I have boots similar to these [ 3 ] (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31fm0ijiEFL._SS400_.jpg) that I wanted to use with the outfit, but my S.O. brought up the point that Fluttershy probably wouldn't wear anything that looked like fur, as it implied that an animal had to die to make it, even if it was like, fake fur. The alternative for the trim was to use that fuzzy stuff that bomber jackets have on their collars, similar to this [ 4 ] (http://cdn.intersynq.org/res/2010/12/J-Madison-Sherpa-Fleece-Lined-Leather-Bomber-Jacket.png) ( I'm not sure what that fabric is called ). If I went with that fabric, I was worried it might clash weirdly with the coat of the trim being different than what's on the shoes, because I really don't want to have to buy an entirely new pair of boots just for one costume. My closet doesn't have any more space for more shoes. x_x

Alright, I'll stop spamming up this thread now. |D;;
But yes, if anyone has any input at all, I would be super appreciative of any little tidbits. nw n

marshmallowpie
11-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Okay, so I'm planning on cosplaying Derpy, and I've got most of what I'm doing planned out, but I am having an impossible time finding a wig I like for her. Any suggestions?

PSY-chan
11-05-2011, 08:59 PM
^ How about Arda's "Jareth" in light blonde 013 (http://kingdom-arts.org/view/items/jareth%20013%20light%20blonde.jpg)?

rchcc122
11-06-2011, 02:01 AM
Hey everypony!

Have you guys seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xsMgwPSxPgM#!
It's AWESOME.

Koda89
11-06-2011, 02:20 AM
I'll be going to Izumicon, a local convention, next weekend and I'm for sure doing a humanized Spike outfit, and I'm somewhat thinking of doing a male humanized version of DJ P0N-3 as well.

han-pan
11-06-2011, 09:43 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/315666_10150373828138409_714613408_8533651_1799444 547_n.jpg
DJ-PON3! He was playing a bunch of music all day from his ipod. Then I demanded Cupcakes Around the World and there was a flash dance mob. It was pretty fantastic. :)

Kuriin
11-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Hey everypony!

Have you guys seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xsMgwPSxPgM#!
It's AWESOME.

..This is the best thing

Shana05
11-08-2011, 10:38 PM
After finally getting around to watching this show, I want to cosplay Applejack. It will most likely be awhile before I start it. I do know I want to do something different from the shorts and tied shirt combo I see a lot of AJ cosplayers do. I think it's too similar to my fem!America.

Koda89
11-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Well here are the first pictures of my completed Spike and DJ P0N-3 humanoid/Gijinka outfits.

First up, Spike:

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3096266/

Initially wanted to do what practically everyone else has done and used a purple hoodie, but I couldn't find a purple hoodie, so I went with the next best option, a purple polo shirt.

Next up, DJ P0N-3:

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3096268/

Now this one was more in lined with what I originally planned. Put on her...er...his cutie mark with craft paint(don't worry, it said on the label it was applicable to fabric). I'll also be carrying around a DJ Hero controller to complete the outfit further.

Also, in both cases I know you can't see my lower half, so I'll just describe the lower half for both costume. Nothing fancy, just blue jeans for both. Would like to eventually find some green or purple pants for Spike and white or blue pants for DJ P0N-3.

Overall, I must say I'm happy with them, as they were done this week with the con in just 2 days.

Blind_Mag
11-11-2011, 12:31 AM
A friend of mine and I are going to try and cosplay humanoid/gijinka Bon-Bon & Lyra! XD (I haven't seen anypony else pull it off, so we'll be the first, maybe?! :D) We're trying to get the wigs commissioned, we just need to figure out how their outfits should look!

I've seen different outfits for them in fan art, but I'm still having a hard time figuring out what they should look like ^^;

I'm hoping to have them completed before next fall so we can go to Youmacon 2012 as Lyra and Bon-Bon! :D

kuramasgirl342
11-12-2011, 11:23 AM
well hey there currently im planning to do a apple jack cosplay and im excited lol but right now i still have a few more im working on but im glad to see there are so many pony fans on here

Tigress
11-13-2011, 05:20 AM
Here's my version of Pinkie Pie!

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3097562/

Spike Sparkle
11-16-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm going to be doing a kirugumi spike thingy next year at 3 conventions in the Florida region, I may be able to do more then 3 depending on how it goes! : ]

Imaginational
11-16-2011, 11:50 PM
A friend of mine and I are going to try and cosplay humanoid/gijinka Bon-Bon & Lyra! XD (I haven't seen anypony else pull it off, so we'll be the first, maybe?! :D) We're trying to get the wigs commissioned, we just need to figure out how their outfits should look!

I've seen different outfits for them in fan art, but I'm still having a hard time figuring out what they should look like ^^;

I'm hoping to have them completed before next fall so we can go to Youmacon 2012 as Lyra and Bon-Bon! :D

Eee, that will be ADORABLE! I tried to convince my sister to go as Bon-Bon, seeing as I wanted to cosplay as Lyra and they aren't the same without each other. Sadly, she declined. D:

Anyway, I can't wait to see what you'll do. :'D

LeyLey
11-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Gah. I'm having issues here, (probably user error!) so my apologies if this make 2 (or even 3!) posts.

Anyway, my friends and I have an MLP:FiM-themed Guild in WoW so for BlizzCon this year, we decided to dress as our character's namesakes! (And that's how you get away with being a pony at BlizzCon! -That and claiming we were 'Epic Mounts!')

I finally got around to joining and uploading some of the pictures on here (more to come once the rest of the group get their pics online).

This costume in particular was soooo much fun to do, I hope we get another chance to wear them together!

Gallery Link: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/221340/

And here's a video one of the girls in our group made:http://youtu.be/ZjyQ7fgclU0

(Because ponies are always more fun in action!)

Shana05
11-19-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm sure this will work but I thought I'd ask a second opinion. As I end up doing blonde characters a lot, I have quite the collection of blonde wigs. I thought I could use this one (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3065666/) for Applejack and get a matching ponytail clip. I do plan to put red scrunchies at the bottom.

Also I think I'm going to reuse my fem!America hat and boots for this. It's a nice cowgirl hat and if I'm going to be doing both of these cosplays it's best for packing as they take up a lot of room.

Neko.Oni
11-19-2011, 09:09 PM
*bows out realizing everyone on the site is doing gajinka MLP* sorry... didnt mean to interrupt...

Shana05
11-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Okay here's my idea of the outfit (http://www.polyvore.com/applejack/set?id=39705283). Just add apples on the skirt, pony ears and tail. I plan to tie the button down shirt in a knot.

TR Rose
11-21-2011, 11:42 AM
I just wanted to share a photo (first one I have!) of our MLP group at Yulecon this past Saturday. It was a whole lot of fun!
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3104981/

livengood
11-22-2011, 05:15 AM
Hey guys. I've already cosplayed Applejack(it's on my acp) and I'm currently designing a Princess Luna costume.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nbrnet.jpg

I'm still figuring it out(that's why I have a few different varients, I haven't decided on the final version). I already had the fabric sitting around that I can use to make the dress part, and I have several beads I can use to make my star pattern on the cloak.

Blood_Sword
11-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Oh god. You know, when I first heard of this show and the craze around it I was one of those "Oh god I'm never going to watch that thing. It's sooooo girly! -.-" (I normally highly dislike girly stuff..) persons. But then one day I was bored off my ass and decided that "Hey, don't judge anything until you've at least watched one episode" and I wanted to see what the fuzz really was about anyway, because hey, it can't be that bad if so many love it so much? So I watched the first episode... and then I watched one more... and one more... and then I found myself thinking "What the heck, this shit is good!" and yeah, now I've watched all episodes up to episode 7 in season 2.

I didn't really have a favorite of the main ponies, all of them were good but had some more or less annoying traits. But Pinkie Pie is certainly the funniest and most random one! I somehow like AppleJack too, and sometimes Rainbow Dash is awesome and sometimes not so, haha.
When I watched Luna Eclipsed today Luna became my instant favorite. xD (actually I always had a feeling wherever she'll have a proper appearance she will probably end up being my favorite because I like dark colors and the moon. lol)

So yeah... I can't believe I'm thinking this but... I have an urge to do a Princess Luna cosplay! Although I have no idea what design seeing I really can't wear any feminine clothing without feeling really uncomfortable (I have gender issues...) so yeah... any help? Would a genderswap version be shunned/unacceptable/unrecognizable? lol Prince Luna...

livengood
11-25-2011, 09:37 PM
So yeah... I can't believe I'm thinking this but... I have an urge to do a Princess Luna cosplay! Although I have no idea what design seeing I really can't wear any feminine clothing without feeling really uncomfortable (I have gender issues...) so yeah... any help? Would a genderswap version be shunned/unacceptable/unrecognizable? lol Prince Luna...

A genderswapped version wouldn't really be looked down on. But, you could always do a not so feminine version.

You could always do a more, Knightly version(see what I did there?)

For example
http://umeh.deviantart.com/art/MLP-Two-Regal-Sisters-253933890

(Though not showing as much skin.)

Or you could do a more Princely Luna.
http://nickleerie.deviantart.com/art/MLP-Genderbend-The-Group-II-269138037

But you could always give it a more feminine cut of the uniform(Think Utena, but with pants instead of shorts)

and I just realized, what would a short haired, full genderbent Princess Luna would look like?

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/hidden02/hidden02.jpg

Marth. :angel2:

Neko.Oni
11-26-2011, 01:01 AM

The fandom has fully embraced genderbends of the mane 6 + spike + celestia, not to mention other less promenant figures, so I have no doubt they would accept a bent luna. I have no clue her name though... I know the male "Nightmare Moon" was "Anarchy Artemis" but to date I've not seen a male name for Luna... (Prince Lunis?)

As for design, I think it would be a lot of contrasting white and midnight blue (i.e. "moon/stars and night sky") possibly a shirt with stars on it, not entirely sure (I'm not up to season 2 yet so I've seen Luna for like 20 seconds at the tail of 102)

alpha_helix
11-27-2011, 01:32 PM
New idea. Must make Victorian!Rarity. Must!

Blood_Sword
11-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Thank you so much for the suggestions and help!

Actually I did think about Marth when I thought what a prince-ish genderswapped Luna could look like. xD A knight version would be cool too. (if I had the skills for it. lol)
I'm currently thinking about doing a more casual version (as a Sunday cosplay), maybe with some goth influence. Would that be too far off or cool? Of course I'd have wings for it, pony ears and horn and her cutie mark/moon symbols somewhere to be recognizable. And I'll use different blue colors and black mostly.

EDIT: Hmm, Nightmare Moon would be cool also. (and in that case I could use the planned wig for other cosplays too)

han-pan
11-27-2011, 02:09 PM
I just wanted to share a photo (first one I have!) of our MLP group at Yulecon this past Saturday. It was a whole lot of fun!
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3104981/

Oh man! You guys look fantastic. :D Awesome group!

Tigress
11-28-2011, 02:06 AM

DO EET!

Dead Cosplay
11-28-2011, 04:06 AM
I'm actually doing something out of my cosplay range =D
I am in the works of making a Human!Princess Luna Cosplay. Though... it's going to be different compared to the ones I have seen. So I am excited about it =D
I'll make sure to add pictures for everyone to see.

thatpinkiepie
11-30-2011, 01:05 AM
Hey everypony!!

So, I'm braaaaand new to this forum, but I wanted to join because as I was reading this thread, I realized you all have such great ideas for cosplaying/have cosplayed ponies in the past! I'm going to BroNYCon this January, and want to start working on my cosplay now! I'm planning on cosplaying Pinkie Pie, in anthro form I guess. Human, but not. I planned on incorporating her crazy pink mane and tail. I have ideas for the mane, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what to do for a tail. Has anyone made a pony tail before that looked at lease semi real that could help me out!? Thanks so much guys, you're awesome!

Emrys
11-30-2011, 10:15 AM

That sounds awesome!! :P

adorabias
11-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Ah, another newbie here! I've been playing with the idea of cosplaying as DJ P0N3 (gijinka!) for a while now, but I'm wondering- would it be appropriate to draw inspiration from someone's existing design or would it be best if I design an outfit myself? o: And if the latter is alright, would anyone have any suggestions on where to look?

Thank you for your help in advance! :D

Neko.Oni
12-01-2011, 03:21 AM
Hey everypony!!

So, I'm braaaaand new to this forum, but I wanted to join because as I was reading this thread, I realized you all have such great ideas for cosplaying/have cosplayed ponies in the past! I'm going to BroNYCon this January, and want to start working on my cosplay now! I'm planning on cosplaying Pinkie Pie, in anthro form I guess. Human, but not. I planned on incorporating her crazy pink mane and tail. I have ideas for the mane, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what to do for a tail. Has anyone made a pony tail before that looked at lease semi real that could help me out!? Thanks so much guys, you're awesome!

Cant wait to see how you pull off the Anthro/Furry version, I'm aiming for a similar look with Rainbow Dash.

As for the tail... There are some great places to get the right *color* but not sure how to get the right *style* unless you found a place selling curled/wavey pink hair and used that (It *IS* possible to curl synthetic hair but it's very tricky). If your wanting to go with straight, then you can get the hair cheep from
http://www.doctoredlocks.com
Though I'm still working out how to connect the end to a clip (best ideas so far are to tie a TIGHT knot then seal it using latex, rubber cement, or such, and then thread a clip through the 'ball' (knot) of hair)

Shana05
12-04-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm finished with Applejack except for the tail. I'm waiting for Arda's sale next weekend to order it.

Meanwhile I made a tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od-XViVY8ho) on making cutie marks. It's simple but I thought I'd help less experienced cosplayers.

wonderland-chan
12-05-2011, 04:30 PM
I was going to do Rainbow dash but, after a Rainbow dash Vs. DJ Pon3. DJ Pon3 won, and I cant wait to start.

alpha_helix
12-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Not exactly related to cosplay, but pony related crafting. I sooo wish I knew how to male plushies, because I want a Rarity to snuggle with!

Failing that, I also wanna get a ton of the little figurines, make them clothes like I do for my dolls, and display them on the side table in my dining room. Right next to my assortment of fancy wine bottles I couldn't bring myself to recycle.

Shana05
12-06-2011, 08:44 PM
A great idea came to me, Lolita Rarity. I say her as she is the character most fitting for lolita. In my head it's a white blouse, white rectangle skirt with her cutie mark, ears and horn and some sort of headbow.

Although if I do this it will be a little while. I just finished Applejack and haven't used her yet.

Tigress
12-07-2011, 12:36 AM
A great idea came to me, Lolita Rarity. I say her as she is the character most fitting for lolita. In my head it's a white blouse, white rectangle skirt with her cutie mark, ears and horn and some sort of headbow.

Although if I do this it will be a little while. I just finished Applejack and haven't used her yet.

Actually, I think Rarity would be more aristocrat than lolita, but that's just me.

I'm debating on what my next pony cosplay will be.

I found the PERFECT purple argyle knee socks (or plain purple ones if I prefer) for Twilight Sparkle and I have a neat fuku design for her already sketched out.

I also way overbought on bridal satin for a commission and the leftovers are perfect for a Rarity dress. I just need to find some large, diamond-shaped, light blue rhinestones for the cutie mark.

livengood
12-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Not exactly related to cosplay, but pony related crafting. I sooo wish I knew how to male plushies, because I want a Rarity to snuggle with!

Failing that, I also wanna get a ton of the little figurines, make them clothes like I do for my dolls, and display them on the side table in my dining room. Right next to my assortment of fancy wine bottles I couldn't bring myself to recycle.

Have you tried looking at some plush patterns? Simplicity has some plush animal patterns, and if you search free patterns, you're bound to find some horse/pony patterns.

scandia
12-07-2011, 03:26 PM
I want to see the EGL/EGA Rarity! That would be absolutely beautiful.

alpha_helix
12-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Have you tried looking at some plush patterns? Simplicity has some plush animal patterns, and if you search free patterns, you're bound to find some horse/pony patterns.

Eeee, I just checked out Simplicity's website, and there is a unicorn plushie pattern! I also saw one for a snooty poodle that had a perfect Rarity expression, and I'm wondering if I could modify it to be a pony...

In costuming related news, I've got a loose design in mind for Victorian!Rarity. I've decided on late 1880s, the late bustle years when the bustle resembled a shelf, sometimes compared to a horse rump--seems appropriate! Most of the dress will be white with the bustley overskirt in purple--and of course purple wig with ears and horn! I'll either due the cutie mark as a brooch on the hip, or add some sparklies on the bodice.

Somewhat related, since I've been meaning to make a new 1880s corset as I've gained a bit of weight, I've made a mockup I'm very pleased with, and I'm ready to go on the real thing. I've been planning on a white corset all along, but I think I might do the edge binding in purple for some Rarity flair ^^

Neko.Oni
12-08-2011, 11:29 PM
For those of you doing Fromal Ponies, I have a question...

Anyone have a resource for adapting the Pony's Gala dresses to human-shape? (Specifically Rainbow Dash's dress) in the show they're basically just a 2-part cape and shoes and tiny chest-piece...

PSY-chan
12-08-2011, 11:44 PM
@Neko: I am a fan of this artist's rendition (http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=pony%20gala%20dress&order=9&offset=24#/d3hdj52) for the outfits. Dash looks fairly chic here.

Neko.Oni
12-09-2011, 02:07 AM
@Neko: I am a fan of this artist's rendition (http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=pony%20gala%20dress&order=9&offset=24#/d3hdj52) for the outfits. Dash looks fairly chic here.

I'm liking it, but dont think it would work too well for a crossplay (laugh all you want, I'm considering going to one of the 'formal balls' at a con as Dash-in-Gala-Dress) Good starting point though, gives me something to go on looking for a more humanoid form of her dress

Tigress
12-09-2011, 04:05 AM
Here are some humanoid versions of the Gala dresses that I ganked off dA that are pretty dead-on:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150291962256650.338730.717771649&type=1

Sadly, I can't give the original artist credit because I've had them on my hard drive forever and can't remember where I found them.

Neko.Oni
12-09-2011, 07:08 AM
Getting a 404 error... but if it's on DA I can probably find it, any idea roughly when it was posted?

PSY-chan
12-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Sorry, didn't know what exactly you're looking for! However, formal Dash crossplay sounds awesome. Is this design more gijinka, then? If so, I would definitely recommend slimmer fitting trousers. Also, check out celeb red carpet pics and see what elements you could incorporate for her, especially the VMA's/Grammy's/etc. Maybe a white/off white scarf around the neck for the "clouds", strategic gold accents, gradient dyeing the fabric (for a vest maybe?).

Neko.Oni
12-10-2011, 03:00 AM
Sorry, didn't know what exactly you're looking for! However, formal Dash crossplay sounds awesome. Is this design more gijinka, then? If so, I would definitely recommend slimmer fitting trousers. Also, check out celeb red carpet pics and see what elements you could incorporate for her, especially the VMA's/Grammy's/etc. Maybe a white/off white scarf around the neck for the "clouds", strategic gold accents, gradient dyeing the fabric (for a vest maybe?).

Eh... It's still an anthro/furry version of Dash - all I'm planning is to take off the vest, put on the dress, swap out the harmony necklace for the... Purple Pearls? (I swear every time I see them I think they look like grapes...) and restyle the wig (and, if it's hidden anyway, unclip the tail)

The two biggest issues I'm looking at are muting my sholdiers (they're not "broad" by male standards but they're noticably wide for a female (one reason I chose the dark-blue Winter Wrap up vest for 'Casual Dash') and if I widen my hips it make me look "big" and give the unrealistic almost "heartman hips" appearance because my waist cinches in quite small) and hiding the lines of the corsette I use without enlarging my waist...

I'm torn between just using white fabric to accent or adding the "puffy clouds" (stuffed fabric) like is done in the series, while it worked great there I think it might be too much on a more humanoid dress...

Tigress
12-10-2011, 04:12 AM
Getting a 404 error... but if it's on DA I can probably find it, any idea roughly when it was posted?

Here's direct links:

Applejack (http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/316830_10150291962286650_717771649_8269943_1533528 942_n.jpg)
Fluttershy (http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/301898_10150291962301650_717771649_8269944_1503671 995_n.jpg)
Pinkie Pie (http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/304954_10150291962306650_717771649_8269945_1380603 090_n.jpg)
Rainbow Dash (http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/s720x720/166940_10150291962316650_717771649_8269946_1179018 258_n.jpg)
Rarity (http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/314381_10150291962321650_717771649_8269947_1139458 236_n.jpg)
Twilight Sparkle (http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/312731_10150291962331650_717771649_8269948_1035224 19_n.jpg)

Neko.Oni
12-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Here's direct links:

Applejack (http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/316830_10150291962286650_717771649_8269943_1533528 942_n.jpg)
Fluttershy (http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/301898_10150291962301650_717771649_8269944_1503671 995_n.jpg)
Pinkie Pie (http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/304954_10150291962306650_717771649_8269945_1380603 090_n.jpg)
Rainbow Dash (http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/s720x720/166940_10150291962316650_717771649_8269946_1179018 258_n.jpg)
Rarity (http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/314381_10150291962321650_717771649_8269947_1139458 236_n.jpg)
Twilight Sparkle (http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/312731_10150291962331650_717771649_8269948_1035224 19_n.jpg)

Thank you! I'm liking what I'm seeing... going to take some modification but that's absolutely a design I can work with! (though tbh purely dress-wise I wish I was doing Twilight, LOVE that dress!)

TR Rose
12-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Just got my page posted up for Twilight Sparkle and Discord that my husband and I did about a month ago:
http://meowaboutcosplay.com/costumes/mylittlepony.html

MacX
12-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I plan to do a Doctor Whooves cosplay :)

I think I can wear my pony magnets as a result since it wil show them off better

Neko.Oni
12-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Just got my page posted up for Twilight Sparkle and Discord that my husband and I did about a month ago:
http://meowaboutcosplay.com/costumes/mylittlepony.html

OMG I WANT THAT ELEMENTS BOOK! lol. Seriously, nice prop, any chance of seeing more of it? maybe even a guide to make one like it?

TR Rose
12-11-2011, 07:24 PM
My friend (Fluttershy in the group) actually made the book for a different cosplay and gave it to me for the Pony group. I did the decorating work, but the book wasn't made by me. :)

MacX
12-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Oh I guess I should mention on here that Im doing a free MLP 8 magnet set giveaway to those who have twitter...contest last until DEC 20th EST at Midnight.

Rules: http://MacX5.deviantart.com/journal/WIN-A-FREE-MY-LITTLE-PONY-MAGNET-SET-273481245

Neko.Oni
12-12-2011, 02:23 PM
My friend (Fluttershy in the group) actually made the book for a different cosplay and gave it to me for the Pony group. I did the decorating work, but the book wasn't made by me. :)

I dont know why but this game me an insane idea for a "Gypsy Pinky Pie" cosplay... (reference to Friendship is Witchcraft fan series)

Oh well, I'm still curious if you can tell he how she made the binding for it? (I assume the center is just a square of foam cored out)

Oh I guess I should mention on here that Im doing a free MLP 8 magnet set giveaway to those who have twitter...contest last until DEC 20th EST at Midnight.

Holy Carp you were featured on ED! Your famous! ;) lol (I would enter but I dont have even $10 right now... :( )

MacX
12-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Actually anyone can submit things to EQ...I just happened to be the first who made great MLP clay magnets. And I contacted them about my contest since I figured many would want to participate!

Megumi_Ai
12-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I did a Rarity cosplay this past October and am planning another One for Next October I can't decided if its going to be Fluttershy or a Mare- do -well Twilight Sparkle ( I loved that episode >.< )

MacX
12-14-2011, 01:14 PM
I did a Rarity cosplay this past October and am planning another One for Next October I can't decided if its going to be Fluttershy or a Mare- do -well Twilight Sparkle ( I loved that episode >.< )

You should totally be Darkwing MareDoWell.

Shana05
12-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Got pics of Applejack up (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/407064/). I just need some scrunchies for the mane and tail.

BigMac47
12-15-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm doing a Big Macintosh for a convention this weekend. Eeyup

PSY-chan
12-17-2011, 01:05 PM
New cosplay fodder from the latest episode. Hopefully some pony (or Spike) will do those outfits...

Hakkari
12-22-2011, 12:05 AM
I think I'm gonna do a Luna cosplay based off of this: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/301/2/f/gijinka___mlp_luna_concept_by_emlan-d4e83r8.png

Except adding a horn and wings, I think 8D

Caerix
12-26-2011, 12:30 AM
So one of my guy friends got me into MLP, go figure, and now I wanna do a Rainbow Dash cosplay, but in the Wonderbolt uniform. Any ideas on where I'd be able to get the uniform? Cuz I fail at sewing ._.

thatpinkiepie
12-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Hey all! I'm pretty new around here. I'm a Canadian who just got into MLP not that long ago, but it's sort of a new obsession. I'm planning on attending BroNYCon in New York on January 7th, and I was originally going to cosplay Pinkie Pie. However, I had trouble finding a wig that would make it here in time for the con (as this was sort of a last-minute decision), and I don't really feel like dying my hair pink for a day, because I have class the day after I return from the con, as well as work (who will not like me having pink hair !@#$%^&*). So, the idea is, since I can't cosplay Pinkie, and I'm blonde... I'm going to cosplay her original pegasus form!

SURPRISE! =D *balloon explosion*
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqbrmafo9W1qlq6kao1_500.png

^ if you don't know, that is her name. XD She is pretty much Pinkie Pie, but white with a blonde mane/tail, purple eyes, wings, and purple ballons as her cutie mark. Anywho, I was thinking... she has wings, but I have no idea how to go about making them. Should I use layered foam sheets? I was thinking of maybe going all out and carving wings out of upholstery foam, then covering them in fur (I have a lot of white fake fur laying around), but then I realized it may be difficult getting them to stay up. I plan on using either elastic or some kind of strap to hold them up in backpack fashion, but this is the first time I have ever cosplayed anything, and I am stuck on how to make that happen - questioning how well they'll stay up and what not.

Any advice from those who have cosplayed winged ponies before would be greatly appreciated!!

Tigress
12-30-2011, 04:57 AM
Hie thee to The Five Wits (http://thefivewits.net/), young Pinkie-wan. They have a wig there that is perfect for Pinkie Pie. I got mine within two days. >^_^<

ragingphoxx
12-30-2011, 03:40 PM
I will be doing my own interpretation of Octavia for a new years party in Denver. The one thing I did wonder about was why a pony who plays a string bass (it's not a cello peoples!) would have a treble clef for a cutie mark. But whatever! :toothy:

rchcc122
01-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Hey!

I want to cosplay as Rarity from the episode Sweet and Elite since it's my favorite. But her dress is this color: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111203220327/mlp/images/2/26/Fancy_Rarity_S2E9.png (A yellow).

I'm worried it's going to look too much like Fluttershy... I'm making it a nice sundress/cocktail dress since in the episode she's going to a garden party and at a garden party being overdressed is frowned upon from my understanding. Any thoughts?
These are the patterns I'm looking at:
The red one (not pink) (http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/47433)
Not sure which one (http://sewing.patternreview.com/patterns/14882)
Longer one (http://sewing.patternreview.com/patterns/19061)
The sleeveless one (http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/47915)
I'd make the jacket too. Not sure what sleeve style. (http://sewing.patternreview.com/patterns/14018)
The one that is gathered in the middle without a bow- that's where the gem would go. Not sure if long or short sleeved jacket would be made. (http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/37321)
Shorter One (http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/38678)
Either the long sleeved one pictured or the strapless one drawn. (http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/50585)

Still looking through patterns, but any of those look good? Which one would look more like Rarity and less like Fluttershy if I were to use the same color fabric as the color of the dress during that part? I'd be making the hat and using a gem as well.

Tigress
01-05-2012, 12:38 AM
I like the third one would be best for Rarity. And don't forget a big floppy straw hat!

rchcc122
01-07-2012, 02:32 AM
Thank you for your input!

PyThae
01-09-2012, 11:24 PM
First post in here, so first- HELLO MY BRONIES. Hailing from the UK here. Midlands cosplayer :3

Now, I kinda jsut want to show this off- I've cosplayed Rainbow Dash before at a couple of cons:
http://cosplayisland.com/costume/view/41293 you can check out pics there.
I kind of went for a nice casual version- but still boyish and sporty enough to warrent being Dash. My cutie mark and wings were both embroidered by my mom :3

But the main reason I'm posting here- I notice a severe lack of Mare Do Well cosplayers! :O
I'm shocked, terribly appawled.
But anyway yes, Mare Do Well is my latest WiP, and I just wanted a few opinions.
At the moment, it looks like this:
http://i43.tinypic.com/6pq5ph.jpg Detail on the mask
http://i41.tinypic.com/142bkty.jpg Best I have of the cape colour/length

For the rest, i'm thinking of like, a purple bluse, with frills down the neck, and just some purple trousers. Oh, and a purple hat, probably a trilby/fedora.

Anyone have any better ideas?

rchcc122
01-10-2012, 10:28 PM
^ Hahaha I love your Mare Do Well cosplay!! I'm not sure if a blouse would be best though for the Mare Do Well since she seems to be a play towards Darkwing Duck maybe play with that? http://img.ponibooru.org/_images/6fdae2a3e8b9745fc3353c9dae72d630/89738%20-%20darkwing_duck%20mare_do_well.jpg

In other news, my Rarity wig came in today and I'm almost done with her cutie mark necklace!
Thoughts?
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac57/Mooshc/snapshot11.jpg

PyThae
01-10-2012, 11:26 PM
^ Hahaha I love your Mare Do Well cosplay!! I'm not sure if a blouse would be best though for the Mare Do Well since she seems to be a play towards Darkwing Duck maybe play with that? http://img.ponibooru.org/_images/6fdae2a3e8b9745fc3353c9dae72d630/89738%20-%20darkwing_duck%20mare_do_well.jpg

Yeah, I vaguely remember Darkwing Duck from my childhood, and he wears like, some sort of purple jacket, but would that style work with Mare Do Well?

Maybe I could do like, a posh fitted shirt or something

Tigress
01-11-2012, 05:37 AM
Yeah, I vaguely remember Darkwing Duck from my childhood, and he wears like, some sort of purple jacket, but would that style work with Mare Do Well?

Maybe I could do like, a posh fitted shirt or something

Darkwing Duck wears a blue turtleneck, purple double-breasted blazer, purple cape with magenta lining, purple mask and gray wide-brimmed fedora with black band.

...But no pants.

And yes, I just typed all that from memory.

Stormraven24
01-11-2012, 08:16 AM
But the main reason I'm posting here- I notice a severe lack of Mare Do Well cosplayers! :O
I'm shocked, terribly appawled.
But anyway yes, Mare Do Well is my latest WiP, and I just wanted a few opinions.
At the moment, it looks like this:
http://i43.tinypic.com/6pq5ph.jpg Detail on the mask
http://i41.tinypic.com/142bkty.jpg Best I have of the cape colour/length

For the rest, i'm thinking of like, a purple bluse, with frills down the neck, and just some purple trousers. Oh, and a purple hat, probably a trilby/fedora.

Anyone have any better ideas?

I just want to say that I am in love with that mask! The detail is very nice! But the second picture...yeah, it's not great. I understand it may be all you have, but it's so blurry and so far away from you that it's really hard to make anything out. I'm looking forward to how you do the rest!

And Tigress, I love you for remembering Darkwing in such detail <3

PyThae
01-11-2012, 06:04 PM
@Tigress: Hahaa, thats rather impressive. But very vital, thanks! I wanna feminine it up... so maybe like, a navy vest and some sort of purple jacket/coat on top? Definately an idea i'll play around with, thanks!

@Stornraven24: I was in a rush before work haha. It's ankle length navy blue +hooded, if I get a better picture I'll get it up here.

CosmictheRunt
01-12-2012, 04:49 PM
As much as I love this series, pony cosplay never made any sense to me.

Neko.Oni
01-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Darkwing Duck wears a blue turtleneck, purple double-breasted blazer, purple cape with magenta lining, purple mask and gray wide-brimmed fedora with black band.
...But no pants.
And yes, I just typed all that from memory.

You, ma'am are a credit to your species. *gives you a cookie* You even got the cape-lining color exactly right! (And thank you; I've been trying to find the name for that "two rows of buttons down the front" design for years!)

Honestly, does any form of cosplay _really_ make sense? ;)

rchcc122
01-13-2012, 12:10 AM

Does Pokemon cosplay not make sense either?
Gijinka cosplays allow for more creativity and interpretation of the design in my opinion.

Tigress
01-13-2012, 12:19 AM

It gave me an excuse to finish my pink lolita-ish dress to make Pinkie Pie.

Tenya Muyo
01-16-2012, 11:16 AM
I do love this show!!! >_< I was thinking Rainbow Dash at first, but after some careful consideration (and mostly from my friends cracking up to my rhymes) I will be pulling out a Zecora in the next couple of months! ^_^

*Zecora voice* "Beware, beware you pony folk! For the cosplays I do are surely not a joke!"

ItalianPeach
01-16-2012, 09:41 PM
I have a good chunk of an AppleJack. I am so excited about it. She will be premiered in July!

Nooby Banana
01-23-2012, 03:05 PM
I already did Rainbow Dash for Halloween last year, now for Megacon I'm gonna be Applejack! I've always wanted a good pair of cowboy boots and now I finally have an excuse to buy some. :D Since most of the outfit can be bought and modified I'm hoping to make a few accessories for her, like a little Winona plush and her green saddlebags.

thewaterfox
01-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Hmmm... I'm thinking of doing a MLP:FIM cosplay soon... But first I need to finish my Dr. Who cosplay...

sparkleshyguy
01-25-2012, 06:11 AM
Here are some humanoid versions of the Gala dresses that I ganked off dA that are pretty dead-on:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150291962256650.338730.717771649&type=1

Sadly, I can't give the original artist credit because I've had them on my hard drive forever and can't remember where I found them.

What an amazing set of costumes and props! Seriously, these are awesome!

I do love this show!!! >_< I was thinking Rainbow Dash at first, but after some careful consideration (and mostly from my friends cracking up to my rhymes) I will be pulling out a Zecora in the next couple of months! ^_^

*Zecora voice* "Beware, beware you pony folk! For the cosplays I do are surely not a joke!"

I do believe Zecora's metre would be

"Beware, beware you pony folk!
For the cosplays I do are not a joke!"

/pedant

(I songwrite and also occasionally write poetry in my spare time, so I tend to pick up these things).

BTW, new here. Saw pony cosplay thread, am considering the possibility in the longer term of doing some sort of MLP-style character cosplay, so thought I'd say hi.

Of course, I haven't done anything yet (money and skill are unkind to me).

stupid princess
01-25-2012, 10:29 PM
I've finished Fluttershy and I either plan on making her GGG dress or Nightmare Moon.

alpha_helix
01-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Hokay, so!

I've made the new corset for Victorian Rarity, but now I'm dithering as far as the dress goes. Initially, I wanted to approach it like a ginjinka: white bustle dress with a purple bustled "tail" but now I'm entertaining the idea of doing her Gala dress, which would totally work as an 1860s gown

toughtink
01-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Hokay, so!

I've made the new corset for Victorian Rarity, but now I'm dithering as far as the dress goes. Initially, I wanted to approach it like a ginjinka: white bustle dress with a purple bustled "tail" but now I'm entertaining the idea of doing her Gala dress, which would totally work as an 1860s gown

first of all, i LOVE the idea of a Victorian Rarity. second, i the purple bustle tail is a brilliant idea. but as to whether she should just be gajinka or in her Gala dress? well...i personally like her normal colors better than her gala colors (too much friggen pink for me!), but i can also imagine that making her gala dress in a Victorian style would improve it a hundred fold. so whichever you choose, i bet it will look awesome, and i cannot wait to see the results!

alpha_helix
01-29-2012, 09:12 AM
For me, there is no such thing as too much pink!

PSY-chan
01-29-2012, 09:26 PM
@ Alpha: I say go with the Gala gown, since so few ponies have attempted those. I bet it would look amazing as a Victorian evening gown, too. Less costume-y, more, IDK, elegant? But's it's your call...Post picks when you're finished!

Kazukii
01-29-2012, 10:06 PM
I really want to do a Pony costume. Not sure between Rainbow Dash, Derpy, or DJ Pon3. X3

Nooby Banana
02-03-2012, 04:32 AM
I'm working on a human Applejack! But I'm in a bit of a jam. I bought a hat similar to this: http://www.tuthat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Cowboy-Hat-white-700938.jpg and while I love it, it doesn't have the notch in the front like AJ's does. Do you think it'd be ok if I cut out the notch and then lined the edges with something, or would the straw just start unraveling?

alpha_helix
02-03-2012, 08:21 PM
It should be fine. You should cut it and see how delicate the raw edges of your hat are. they may be fine as is, may need a bit of bias tape binding, or might even be ok with careful cutting and nothing more. At any rate, cutting a notch in a straw hat won't kill it!

Nooby Banana
02-04-2012, 04:02 AM
It should be fine. You should cut it and see how delicate the raw edges of your hat are. they may be fine as is, may need a bit of bias tape binding, or might even be ok with careful cutting and nothing more. At any rate, cutting a notch in a straw hat won't kill it!

Thanks! I went ahead and cut out the notch and the straw was fine. I used a little hot glue on the edges and it's almost seamless. I'm thinking of stitching some leather cording into the edge of the brim as a finishing touch.

alpha_helix
02-04-2012, 05:46 PM
That should work just fine ^^

Kitsune
02-05-2012, 10:26 AM
...Newest episode of MLP was fun, and now I need to add Daring Do to my list. DARNIT. So now I've got Scootaloo done, Applejack and Mayor sketched, and going to add Daring Do... I need an intervention. >_<

Neko.Oni
02-05-2012, 11:58 AM
...Newest episode of MLP was fun, and now I need to add Daring Do to my list. DARNIT. So now I've got Scootaloo done, Applejack and Mayor sketched, and going to add Daring Do... I need an intervention. >_<

Intervention? nonono, you just need a bigger sketchbook! :D

That would be the 1 time I'd LIKE to see multiple Rainbow Dash's at a con, just to see some Scootaloo(s) go nuts trying to figure out WHICH one to stalk! lol

Kitsune
02-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Haha, yes! I want to round up Rainbow Dashes now! I was sad when I took Scoot out to EXP; of all the Dashes I found, only one recognized me. Sad Scootaloo was sad! I want to do a photoshoot with Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash... I have one photo of the two that I want more than anything: Scoot having crashed her scooter and crying over a scraped up knee and Dash comforting her. <3

Neko.Oni
02-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Aww, I've seen that comic. I promise you I'll do it with you if we happen to ever end up at the same Con as Dash and Scoot :)

And here's a thought, if you want to be recognized, carry around a Dash plushie and get a bag that has a scooter (or heck full-out Scootaloo) on it.

Kitsune
02-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Ooh, there is a comic of that? I have not seen it! *goes to scour the interwebs*

Rainbow Dash plush! That'd be awesome. I have a scooter for Scootaloo! :3 I need to paint it blue though. I might do a bag when I don't go with my Cutie Mark Crusaders cape. I love that cape~

Neko.Oni
02-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Your kidding me, I thought that's where you got the idea from! It's by Veggie (sp?) on Deviant Art, s/he has a large number of amazing comics about Dash/Scoot!

Kitsune
02-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Haha, nope! I just happened to actually crash on the scooter (it was a bit rusted and the handles sucked) and thought it'd be a cute photo. Thanks for the dA tip, found the artist and I'mma go get lost in MLP comics now. XD

Legatosgurl
02-07-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm super psyched for this. I'm gonna try out a hoodie version of DJ PON 3 for the con I'm going to this year (assuming mom helps me sew it), but it should (hopefully) be AWESOME!!!

Odile
02-09-2012, 03:08 AM
I was wondering, what does everyone consider to be the most important elements of a Princess Celestia cosplay?

Enny
02-09-2012, 05:10 PM
@Odile Dat hair. Celestia's figurine may have the wrong color coat, but it's still got all four colors of her mane. Also, cutie mark visible somewhere.

alpha_helix
02-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Hair, cutie mark, wings, unicorn horn, and a tiara. I'd recommend doing a white formal dress as for the clothing (if you don't want to sew it, sometimes you can find bridal gowns at a thrift store). For the cutie mark, you could either add it to the hip area of the dress (applique, paint, beading, or embroidery would work), or some do a necklace with a cutie mark symbol (sculpy or any clay of choice would work well)

Tigress
02-10-2012, 05:05 AM
I've always thought something incredibly regal or ethereal for Celestia. She is the ruler of all Equestria!

StrawberryNinja
02-19-2012, 08:20 AM
So I've recently decided to do a Zecora cosplay and finally settled on a design which is pretty much a mishmash of other ones I've seen. My issue is it seems like something's missing. I have no idea what though. Here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Master_Bartender/Cosplay%20Junk/zecora.png) is what I drew up (forgive the shaky lines. My touchpad and I don't get along). I was thinking maybe I should add stripes to the skirt. I'm just not sure. ._.; Could any of you lovely people offer a suggestion? Also, the white under the loincloth isn't supposed to be like white shorts. I was playing around with what color shorts I could wear with these and just never filled it in with skin tone afterward.

Perrydotto
02-27-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm working on my human Spike cosplay and I think it's coming together rather nicely! Here's hoping I can style the wig properly :)

Stormraven24
02-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Master_Bartender/Cosplay%20Junk/zecora.png) is what I drew up (forgive the shaky lines. My touchpad and I don't get along). I was thinking maybe I should add stripes to the skirt. I'm just not sure. ._.; Could any of you lovely people offer a suggestion?

That looks lovely! I really love the hair, too. I think at least some stripes on the sides of the lioncloth would be nice. It does indeed look like something's missing from it.

And it looks like I've been bit by the inspiration bug again, this time for a Celestia gijinka. I'll be sketching it out today just to get it out of my head, but I've also come with a whole skit for her and Discord. All this is what happens to me at 6AM on the way to work xD

stonesour_17
02-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Hello everypony! Brony from Dallas here! I love MLP:FIM, something about the show just speaks to me, maybe the message, maybe the characters, maybe the homage to cartoons long past, whatever I just love it and it makes me happy. Excited to meet other MLP cosplayers, would like to get a group together for either Akon or All Con, I know it's coming up quick, but hoping to meet any fellow bronies in the area here.

I have done Spike before for Yulecon, that was a fun dating game, and plan to do Discord for Akon...not the human version btw...yes I am insane. Okay well glad to be here and remember Smile, Smile, Smile!

Stormraven24
02-28-2012, 12:12 PM
I have done Spike before for Yulecon, that was a fun dating game, and plan to do Discord for Akon...not the human version btw...yes I am insane. Okay well glad to be here and remember Smile, Smile, Smile!

If only you lived closer to me! I'll be in need of a Discord at some point in the next year or so xD Hope your group for Akon comes together!

Pinkgirl
02-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Hi! I'm planning to do an MLP cosplay for Supanova this year. I've got a pink wig and was thinking of either doing Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy. The wig I have is kinda curly, perfect for Pinkie but it's a lighter pink like Fluttershy's mane. Sorta like this colour - http://shop.cosplay.com/clover.html (first 4). I'd really like to do both of them, but right now I'm leaning towards Pinkie. Should I get a darker pink wig? Or will the one I have be fine?

EDIT: It's this one - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-long-Pink-cosplay-Fashion-Curly-Wig-Gift-/270920593721?pt=AU_Women_Accessories&hash=item3f14203139

Tigress
02-29-2012, 04:53 AM
Hi! I'm planning to do an MLP cosplay for Supanova this year. I've got a pink wig and was thinking of either doing Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy. The wig I have is kinda curly, perfect for Pinkie but it's a lighter pink like Fluttershy's mane. Sorta like this colour - http://shop.cosplay.com/clover.html (first 4). I'd really like to do both of them, but right now I'm leaning towards Pinkie. Should I get a darker pink wig? Or will the one I have be fine?

EDIT: It's this one - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-long-Pink-cosplay-Fashion-Curly-Wig-Gift-/270920593721?pt=AU_Women_Accessories&hash=item3f14203139

Pinkie's mane is more of a magenta or hot pink color. However, that wig is great for Fluttershy if you relax the curls.

FalconW
02-29-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm planning on cosplaying Rainbow Dash for an upcoming con. Planning on doing the Cupcakes fanfic version. Was going to do a full gore version but have decided to tone it down just in case. Not going to say there won't be blood but not as much as I originally planned.

I might also do A Preious Rainbow fanfic version too or Rainbow Dash cosplaying as TF2 Scout.

Btw, I'm a brony.

HoshiSeven
03-01-2012, 08:51 AM
I was planning to do a Rainbow Dash for a con in June, but the people I was going to cosplay with couldn't afford getting wigs, but since I have the fabric already, I think I'm making the cosplay anyway! Especially since that means I have an excuse for getting a mohawk 8)

Neko.Oni
03-03-2012, 11:20 AM
So very many Dashies... -_-

@ FalconW:
I'm absolutely NOT a fan of cupcakes (refuse to read it in fact) but it amuses me that somone would attempt a dash based on it... curious what you end up with... (Zombie Dash perhaps?)

@ HoshiSeven:
If your doing the 'traditional' (non gijinka) Dash, I dont know how well a mohawk would fit unless you do it in a very 'horse' style (long hair all the way down) Of course if your doing the humanish (Gijinka) version, or the C+A version, then by all means go crazy! lol
Though I should point out you can get a suprisingly acurate wig for iirc ~$18 (look in the wig section, several of us got them and they're good once you spend some time styling them)