PDA

View Full Version : DBZ cosplay............is it a crime?

Tygo
10-23-2003, 08:04 PM
Awhile back my friend and I were talking and I mentioned that our group of friends should do some DBZ cosplay. However his reaction was somewhere along the lines of "I wouldn't dude. DBZ cosplay is like looked down upon at these sort of things." Now I'm a newbie to the wonderful world of casplay (only been to 3 cons.) and it got me to thinking "Is that really true?". At first I thought "Yeah,it probably is." seeing as how most of my friends who used to love DBZ don't like it anymore (me exculded,DBZ will always have a special place in my heart!),but later I also thought, "Y'know,my friend has been to about 2 more cons then I have." So my question to you guys is this..........

Does my friend have a point? Or is he just full of it?

Disclaimer: My friends opinions are none of my own. So please no flaming of either of us,since this might be a touchy subject.

CapsuleCorp
10-23-2003, 08:12 PM
Considering the enormous thread in this very forum just a couple spaces down "Is it just me? DBZ cosplay..." your friend is full of it.

Now, people may have their own personal opinions of DBZ cosplay, but that does not reflect a trend or the attitude of the cosplaying society as a whole. The only trouble is, so many people do very low-quality costumes, because all those young kids who like DBZ have no budget or skills. But that doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

After all, I've worn my Dende costume to two cons now, and gotten nothing but spectacular compliments and everyone from kids to adults wanting their picture with me. I plan to wear it to every con for a while. I hope the rest of my DBZ costumes get that much attention, or give that many people a little joy in their day!

Tygo
10-23-2003, 08:15 PM
How did you do the antenae? I have a Piccilo costume,but the thing I couldn't figure out was the antenae.

Actually that other thread is what sparked this thread. I guess I just wanted to hear straight from the lion's (or in this case dragon's) mouth. :bigtu:

CapsuleCorp
10-23-2003, 08:19 PM
Crayola Model Magic. I plan to eventually cast some out of latex, so they'd move and be flexible, but the Model Magic is lightweight enough to work for now. Easy to paint, and they do stick well with spirit gum. A LOT of it, but. :)

kerochan
10-24-2003, 10:00 AM
Everyone has their own opinion on what is a "good" anime and if you want to cosplay as someone from DBZ, go right ahead. The fact that you want to make a costume is awesome. Just don't let others bring you down. Do what you feel like doing.

Kohana
10-24-2003, 10:35 AM
When I did my "BADMAN" Vejita cosplay loads of people wanted my picture and some guy wanted to buy my shirt off me. Also Brian Drummond one of the voices of Vejita (Ocean Group) thought my shirt was cool!.. so ya your friend has been greatly misinformed.. Ya there are a few losers out there that will say stupid stuff to you regardless what you cosplay as just remember to keep your head up and keep smiling! and every now and then a good come back line won't hurt.

Michi
10-25-2003, 02:29 AM
o_o I got tons of compliments and comments from excited fans when I was Juuhachi Gou/Android 18 last year. They were even more impressed to see I had a Juunana Gou/Android 17 accompanying me. ^_^; It was a lot of fun. I wasn't looked down upon or made fun of at all! I want to do more of her outfits... yay DBZ cosplay!

artemis316
10-25-2003, 02:59 AM
Yeah...CERTAIN people may not like DBZ or anything cosplayed from it, but it's just one guy'z opinion against the world! Usually, DBZ is accepted by most, but there are some who don't want to have anything to do w/ it, which is fine. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but seeing how your friend responded, I would tell him to 'Know his role and shut his mouth!'

One of my very first cosplays was SonGoku back in 1994-5, before Funimation brought it over here and I was never ashamed for doing a DBZ character. True it was very ghetto and would never hold up today, but I got some good responses for it from a Halloween party and I'm proud of the fact for doing it w/ no regrets at all. So, if you want to do any DBZ cosplay, go for it!!

Tygo
10-25-2003, 03:29 AM
It's good to see alot of positive feed back. I have a Piccilo costume that was made for Halloween,but I need to remake his cloak (used it to make something else). Also I always wanted to get my friends together and cosplay as...................*pose,pose,pose*

THE GINYU FORCE!!!!!

kdthompson
10-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Heheh...When I made my piccolo costume, I used pipe cleaners and that worked fine. Go to the thread if you want to see pics; they're early on.

Yay! The GINYU FORCE! I love those guys; they should be cosplayed more often. I, myself, once I figure out the whole saiyan armor thing, am going to make a Zarbon costume, myself.

But yeah, before I start ranting too much; DBZ is a great thing to cosplay. It's thought to be looked upon because it's been sidicated; but a good number of us got started with CN, right? (or at least I did) So, what makes it's bad. It's about how much fun you have making and wearing a costume!

Good luck with the piccolo costume! I know it's hard; (It ain't easy bein' green) many people don't realize it.

Chun Li
10-28-2003, 06:50 AM
i will answer this question with a question: why do we cosplay?

personaly i cosplay becuase i love the charcter. i long to be the best YuGiOh cosplayer EVER! (XD BWHAHAHAH) and its not becuase i want to be exalted in the eyes of my otaku peers its becuase i LOVE YuGiOh and want to cosplay its charcters. same with all my other costumes. Cosplay becuase you love the charcter and the seen. and to hell with anyone that looks down on that, there not worth your time

Meredisu-chan
10-28-2003, 07:23 PM
Okay, since I'm way too lazy to read that whole long DBZ thread a little while back, I shall just put my opinions on this one.

I agree that the reason most of the costumes suck is because they're done by little kids who put no effort into them. So I think DBZ cosplay is given a bad name.

However, I also hate DBZ. I have tried to watch it time and time again, and I just cannot bring myself to like it. The American dubs are horrible, and the animation is sub-par, at best.

I think maybe it may also be that a lot of people don't like DBZ (cause I've talked to a lot of my otaku friends and none of them like it) that people put down the cosplayers. But, all this being said, I think that if you want to cosplay as a DBZ character, go right ahead. I may not like the show, but I love good costumes, I don't care who you are. Those are hard costumes to make, and when you see someone who's pulled it off successfully, it's really cool.

So go for it, I say! Let stupid people be stupid. Cosplaying is all about being who you want to be.

Love and peas (with butter)

Meredisu-chan

kdthompson
10-28-2003, 07:31 PM
Hey, that's good about those folks that don't like it

I know alot of people don't like it; most of my friends don't anyway.

But it's respect for other's likes and dislikes that keeps us together and makes it all fun.

*giggles* Love and peas...*now has an image of vash eating a bowl of peas*

ObsydianClaw
10-28-2003, 07:42 PM
Heh, I'm planning on a ssj3 goku crossplay when my hair gets a nice ssj3 length. ^-^ Then I can put some stuff on my eyebrows to hide them, and look mad. I am pretty musscley for a girl ^.^
Anyways, I say go for it! DBZ has a lot of followers!

Adaron
01-13-2004, 07:58 PM
I was trying to go to my first Con in about a couple of weeks and I wanted to know if it would even be possible to put together a Majiin Buu (Fat) Costume in that time, and if it is if I could have any ideas. Now I know that if I dont have a good amt of money it wont be as good but I am REALLY tight on money but Id rather go dressed crapilly than not at all. Any Help would be nice but if not thanks anyway. :)

CapsuleCorp
01-13-2004, 08:02 PM
I'm sure it can be done, I don't know about the time frame though. I saw a Majin Buu at ACen last year that was pretty simply done, with an oversized body made of felt (dunno whether it was stuffed inside, I didn't ask) and everything else sort of cobbled together. If you can figure out how to make yourself the big body, sort of like when people make pumpkin costumes for Halloween, and then a sort of hood to cover your head and have the antenna thing hanging off it, you might be able to pull it off in time. Because then he's just got the white balloony shorts, black legs (black tights), black arms (a sweatshirt), yellow gloves, the purple cape tied on, and the black vest.

I think that's a great idea. Good luck!

karasu-kun
01-13-2004, 08:23 PM
My first cosplay was as Pan-chan, and I got pretty good kudos on it from the voice actors and others at the con.