PDA

View Full Version : Code of Conduct and Weapons Policy are up

ElCapitan
02-22-2011, 04:43 PM
There are still some links being added, but the basic policies are both up on the website.

Code of Conduct: Link (http://am2con.org/attendee-registration/code-of-conduct)
Weapons Policy: Link (http://am2con.org/attendee-registration/weapons-policy)

Hakaider
02-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Some quick questions about the weapon policy..

1. Are Star Wars Lightsabers O.K.? Their blade handle is metal but the light blade is a plastic like material..

2. Are the Star Wars blasters that the Imperial Stormtroopers would carry be O.K.? (This is for the 501st Legion and the Rebel Legion.) Some of those blasters are in black & silver, and much too expensive to "paint over". (Some of them costs $500 and up.) Can some sort of a temporary flourescent tape be taped on to it upon the completion of inspection & peace bonding?

3. Are Katanas with a wooden blade O.K.?

4. Are bows like the one that Kagome Higurashi would carry in "Inuyasaha" be O.K.? The arrows are non functioning and cannot be used to shoot.

Also one quick suggestion...I know that you may be short staffed but is there any chance that you could have some cosplayers (or people who understand cosplayers) manning the peacebonding booth? (That's what they did at the Star Wars Celebration conventions.) I've seen some cons where people manning those booths would have no real idea about cosplay or cosplayers & being confused about props and giving them a hard time.

Thanks.

ElCapitan
02-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Metal: We are willing to make exceptions to the "No Metal" rule so long as that metal is decorative rather than functional.

In the case of swords (including lightsabers), this means that metal on the handle or guard is acceptable, but metal on the blade is not. Note that a wooden or foam blade with embedded metal is NOT okay.
The hilt and handle from a genuine katana, assembled around a wooden blade (rather than a metal one) would fall under this exception, and be considered acceptable.
On firearms, pretty much ANY metal is unacceptable.
Aluminum foil generally counts as cosmetic, and is therefore allowed

Blasters: Star Wars blasters tend to be close enough to realistic weapons that we'd typically ask for them to be marked. In these cases, flourescent gaffer's tape (as suggested for airsoft weapons) is acceptable.

Bows: A wooden bow is acceptable, but must remain unstrung (we would ask that you leave the bowstring behind in your car/hotel). Arrows which cannot be fired, as you described, will also be fine. That said, please bear in mind that the arrowheads must not be made of metal.

Hakaider
02-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the info, El Capitan.:)

Just as quick suggestion...Perhaps you could add or include what you had just posted on your reply post at the official Weapon policy page. I'm sure both the anime & Star Wars cosplayers would really appreciate it.

Thanks again.

daylight
02-23-2011, 11:41 PM
hey, sorry ive got a question too

so ive made a staff and its made with a metal pole, would that be ok?
also, do staffs count as weapons? (sorry, its my first con XD)

ElCapitan
02-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Just as quick suggestion...Perhaps you could add or include what you had just posted on your reply post at the official Weapon policy page. I'm sure both the anime & Star Wars cosplayers would really appreciate it.
At the end of the day, we really wanted to keep things as simple as possible while still covering our bases. With that in mind, I'd appreciate if people could weigh in on whether they feel the explanations posted earlier are absolutely essential to their understanding of the policy.

If a lot of people think that things are too ambiguous, we'll of course work to clarify the main policy. We just don't want to bog it down any more than absolutely necessary. The idea is to keep things streamlined, and make sure this doesn't turn into a twenty page legal document.

One of the primary standing principles of AM^2 is that we want to serve as a gateway to bring in people unfamiliar with anime and manga, and easy to read policies is a big part of that.

To address a few points in detail:
No Metal: This rule was strongly worded in hopes of getting people to err on the safe side. Honestly, we'd like to just say no metal period. That would really suck for cosplayers though, so we're willing to bend a little. The phrasing on the site is a kind of a compromise.

Blasters: Since we specifically suggest flourescent tape for Airsoft weapons, I figured that Star Wars cosplayers could easily see that it's cool for them to do the same. Do you disagree?

Bows: Agreed that wooden bows don't really fit nicely into any section of the policy as posted. I'll ask our team to make that update.

so ive made a staff and its made with a metal pole, would that be ok? also, do staffs count as weapons? (sorry, its my first con XD)
Sorry, all staves need to be made of wood. They do indeed count as weapons.

daylight
02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
okay. thank you :]

Hakaider
02-24-2011, 08:05 PM
If a lot of people think that things are too ambiguous, we'll of course work to clarify the main policy. We just don't want to bog it down any more than absolutely necessary. The idea is to keep things streamlined, and make sure this doesn't turn into a twenty page legal document.

The current wording on that pages is actually a bit vague so this is why I had to ask for some clarification. Perhaps they can be more specific and actually include on that page that lightsabers are exempt on the metal part, and the Star Wars blasters need to be placed with a flourescent tape. This way, if a sci-fi or the 501st/Rebel Legion cosplayers looks at the weapons policy page, their question would be answered right away, and they don't end up confused. ( I had 501st Legion cosplayers who saw that page and told me that they were confused in regards to the props for the Star Wars cosplayers.)

Thanks again for the clarification.

ElCapitan
02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
The current wording on that pages is actually a bit vague so this is why I had to ask for some clarification. Perhaps they can be more specific and actually include on that page that lightsabers are exempt on the metal part, and the Star Wars blasters need to be placed with a flourescent tape. This way, if a sci-fi or the 501st/Rebel Legion cosplayers looks at the weapons policy page, their question would be answered right away, and they don't end up confused. ( I had 501st Legion cosplayers who saw that page and told me that they were confused in regards to the props for the Star Wars cosplayers.)

Thanks again for the clarification.
Hrm, the 501st are far from rookie cosplayers. If they're not getting it, then it's probably worth revising. I'll get with the web team and make some updates. Thanks for the feedback.

Speaking of which, the bow/arrow update went in yesterday. Much appreciated for that tip.

Edit: Website is updated.

Hakaider
02-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks again El Capitan!:)

stitchez
03-21-2011, 02:12 AM
My friend was a bit worried after reading the weapons policy so I'm passing her question along: She's a Hetalia cosplayer and she'll be coming as Denmark to AM^2. A friend of hers is making the axe for her cosplay with a foam "blade, but the pole is a colorguard pole. Metal, about 6 feet tall. She wants to make sure that it'll be okay to have (as would I since I plan on maybe bringing my pole and French flag.)

ElCapitan
03-21-2011, 12:56 PM
One more minor update added to the Weapons Policy and Code of Conduct: We've added links to websites detailing what is legal/illegal in California. I honestly think the info shouldn't be needed by most people, but we wanted to add the resource just in case.

My friend was a bit worried after reading the weapons policy so I'm passing her question along: She's a Hetalia cosplayer and she'll be coming as Denmark to AM^2. A friend of hers is making the axe for her cosplay with a foam "blade, but the pole is a colorguard pole. Metal, about 6 feet tall. She wants to make sure that it'll be okay to have (as would I since I plan on maybe bringing my pole and French flag.)
Sorry, we'll have to ask that you use a wooden pole instead.

I understand that a colorguard pole is largely safe, but for the sake of keeping the Weapons Policy simple, we'd rather keep exceptions to a minimum. I'm afraid that metal on props needs to be decorative, and that really isn't the case for what you've described. Sorry for the inconvenience.

For what it's worth, I checked the Home Depot site, and they appear to have wooden poles for pretty cheap. The lowest I saw was under $1 per foot for 1" diameter. That should be pretty sturdy for just $6.

stitchez
03-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Sorry, we'll have to ask that you use a wooden pole instead.

I understand that a colorguard pole is largely safe, but for the sake of keeping the Weapons Policy simple, we'd rather keep exceptions to a minimum. I'm afraid that metal on props needs to be decorative, and that really isn't the case for what you've described. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I understand completely, though safe the things can be a bit dangerous if used wrong (speaking as an ex guard girl of course). Would plastic PVC pipe be okay as well then?

daylight
03-21-2011, 04:55 PM
^hahah my metal pole was a CG pole too ^.^

wood seems like it may hold up pretty well, and you can always put a hardening finish over it+ paint (I know they make a pretty cool silver chrome spray paint that will make it look just like metal) + contact paper to prevent chipping and add durability, or another clear hardening coat
It should be OK to spin too, seeing as how rifles are made of wood, but even rifles crack so she should be kinda careful not to toss over concrete
PVC would work if its allowed , but it can get kinda bendy if the pole is too long, and if you're gonna toss it you'll get a slow rotation, and the plastic can crack if you get crazy with it

stitchez
03-21-2011, 06:04 PM
I may go with making myself a wooden pole for my flag, but for my friend I think PVC (if allowed) would be just fine. Her axe (being made by a friend) is just gonna be a prop and she may do some cool action poses or something, but nothing like twirling of flipping.