PDA

View Full Version : Teeth and Orthodontia?

Buckshot Billie
02-26-2011, 02:54 AM
Hey there, boys and girls and creatures from the black lagoon!

Kind of a weird thread, but what about teeth? Has anyone else gone through extensive orthodontic work and lived to tell the tale? Expanders? Retainers? Nothing and proud of it?

I've had an expander, 3 years of braces, and about a year of retainers (which I never wore but still have). I'm a little upset that I got Boringteeth™, but overall, I guess it's okay. I sometimes can't help but feel like some of my cosplays might be a little derailed by what my teeth used to look like.

So how about you guys?

Kelley
02-26-2011, 03:01 AM
Well, I wouldn't say nothing. I mean, impacted canine and wisdom teeth aren't nothing.

I've even got buck teeth.

On the upside, my dentist confirms that I still have no cavities. I have a spot that very much wants to be a cavity, but he said it was so tiny that I shouldn't worry about it (showed up on xray).

Buckshot Billie
02-26-2011, 03:08 AM
Well, I wouldn't say nothing. I mean, impacted canine and wisdom teeth aren't nothing.

On the upside, my dentist confirms that I still have no cavities. I have a spot that very much wants to be a cavity, but he said it was so tiny that I shouldn't worry about it (showed up on xray).

Get your wisdom teeth removed so we can bond over wanting to eat Mexican food but not being able to because you have BIG HORRIFYING PAINFUL DRY SOCKETS and so your dinner consists of guava nectar and a Wendy's frosty and SO MANY TEARS.

Kelley
02-26-2011, 03:15 AM
... I've been considering having them removed since I'm on my father's health insurance...

... but... they're doing so well just chillaxin' in there that I feel bad about evicting them.

Kildread
02-26-2011, 07:34 AM
I'm lucky enough to have decent teeth (Though with 3 cavities) without ever needing braces or any such thing. I do feel some of them are slightly misaligned though.

Kinda unnerved the last checkup at the dentist showed my wisdom teeth were perpendicular to my regular teeth without them showing visually in my mouth at ALL, I've been told it has little consequence ad does not require any operation, but still.

pltshp
02-26-2011, 08:19 AM
I've had pretty much nothing at all, apart from the fact I had a malformed baby tooth up until last week. It was my second tooth to the right of my mouth, so right at the front and it looked horrible. A bit of it broke off when I was eating potato chips, which just takes the cake because I was eating toffees the same day and no effect, but bloody soft potato chips made it break. And then last week, I just noticed the rest of it had gone. I don't know when, where, how, all I know is it's gone. I guess not many can say they lost a baby tooth at 18, haha. That's the only thing to have happened to me tooth-wise though.

Buckshot Billie
02-26-2011, 09:42 AM
A bit of it broke off when I was eating potato chips, which just takes the cake because I was eating toffees the same day and no effect, but bloody soft potato chips made it break.

Something similar happened to me when I was quite a bit younger. I had a very stubborn loose tooth that wouldn't come out, no matter how many "hard" foods my parents made me eat. I ate apples and caramels and corn on the cob, but NOTHING helped. It was a hotdog with ketchup that eventually dislodged the thing.

Lithium Flower
02-26-2011, 10:20 AM
-flashback-
It was the Halloween of my 7th year. There I was. Eagerly consuming candies on the floor, plucking my favorites from my pillowcase filled with delicious delicacies. Contently smoothing out the wrappers to save and eating M&M's by color. Like a tiny little Nero Wolfe, nothing could come between me and the savory deliciousness laid out before me.

Then it happened.

The pain.

A shooting pain from the back of my mouth that caused me great agony and suffering. I couldn't eat a thing without feeling the same horrible pain. Upon being taken to the doctors it was discovered that I would be needing 4 cavities filled.

Also I should have gotten braces because now my teeth are kinda manky. But oh well.

ALSO ALSO 2
For around 9 years I had one tooth that never fell out and so the adult tooth grew in with the baby tooth capping it half grown into the roof of my mouth. I could wiggle it with my tongue and food got stuck in it >:|I could even pull it away from the adult tooth with my finger. Then one day...after many years of wriggle back and forth. I spent 3 hours pulling it out in two pieces.

It was like loosing a friend.

PROOF:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/kokakukidotai09/Tooth007.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/kokakukidotai09/Tooth010.jpg

Mind you those are kinda nasty.

Rose of Battle
02-26-2011, 10:26 AM
I got my wisdom teeth yanked out a couple of days before Otakon a few years back.

I also had the full works of braces. And then I rarely wore my retainer so my teeth aren't exactly perfect.

Buckshot Billie
02-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Don't WEAR your retainer!

[Take Classy Macros Of it!] (http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/004/7/7/__retangler___by_wonder_whore-d36ep6w.png)

penny_dreadful
02-26-2011, 11:47 AM
I have had at least one cavity every time I go to the dentist since I was a child. At this point, a lot of it is fillings that have fallen out and need to be replaced. I also had to have a root canal. There's probably a lot more work to be done at this point, but understandably I am not fond of visits to the dentist's office.

I take decent care of my teeth, too, and I probably eat fewer sweets than the average person. Apparently I have the weakest enamel on the face of the planet.

When I was younger, I hated the feeling of the novocaine shot so badly, I'd request to get my teeth drilled without it. That's how much of a badass kid I was.

Kildread
02-26-2011, 12:45 PM
When I was younger, I hated the feeling of the novocaine shot so badly, I'd request to get my teeth drilled without it. That's how much of a badass kid I was.

You're a closet masochist, admit it.

"Sir/Miss, I want to feel ALL OF THE PAIN of you drilling a hole in my teeth."

Angathol
02-26-2011, 12:47 PM
I've never had a cavity, but I've had extensive orthodontic work and I had all four wisdom teeth removed. I had them removed when I was around 17, before they had emerged from the gums, so I was able to eat solid food the next day and recovered really quickly.

As for orthodontic work, I've had everything from braces to retainers to headgear to random bars to night guards (I grind my teeth at night. Every time I go to the dentist they point out how flat my molars are). My former neighbour was my orthodontist, so when I was a kid, I could just come over to his house before school if I needed a quick fix on my retainer or anything like that. :) He was a cool guy and had a room full of stuffed animals to give to young patients on their birthdays. I think I have a couple Beanie Buddy dogs from him.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my top teeth, which are pretty much completely straight. My front teeth on my lower jaw are kind of jacked right now since I stopped wearing my retainer a few years ago (I find that if I wear it at night, I wake up partway through the night to discover I've chucked it halfway across the room. wtf).

FunnyValentine
02-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Starting fourth grade I had to start seeing an orthodontist. Wasted like three years of just checkups. Got my braces in seventh grade, it sucked. It hurt, I had to put anything I wanted to eat in a blender. Will it blend? Everytime I got them tightened I didn't care though.

The worst part: CheekKiller3000. I still don't know what the real name was and probably never will. My bottom jaw went back a little more than normal, something I never noticed. These things were terrible and left marks in my mouth for two years after. They were these little metal hooks in the back of my mouth. The first night with them I woke up and I couldn't open my mouth at all, the lady didn't put them in right!! I was freaking out and she never worked on my mouth unless it was just changing the color. Oh and the main orthodontist wouldn't wear gloves sometimes and just shoved his fingers in before you noticed. It wasn't too bad but still gross. One time he freaked out when I told him to put gloves on. *facepalm*

penny_dreadful
02-26-2011, 01:39 PM
You're a closet masochist, admit it.

"Sir/Miss, I want to feel ALL OF THE PAIN of you drilling a hole in my teeth."

I am a giant wimp. Well, I guess I can't be that bad if I have five tattoos and a piercing. I did kind of cry and whimper for most of them, especially when I got my nose re-pierced after the first hole got infected and I had to go on antibiotics and let it close up, then it was pierced again through the scar tissue, and... the point is, it wasn't nice.

Believe it or not, I found the pain of the drilling to be more tolerable than the feeling of the needle sliding into my gum and the novocaine being injected. It also meant I could eat and drink right afterward without everything dribbling out the side of my mouth. That's kind of a priority for me.

harmonyisarine
02-26-2011, 01:56 PM
I have had at least one cavity every time I go to the dentist since I was a child. At this point, a lot of it is fillings that have fallen out and need to be replaced. I also had to have a root canal. There's probably a lot more work to be done at this point, but understandably I am not fond of visits to the dentist's office.

I take decent care of my teeth, too, and I probably eat fewer sweets than the average person. Apparently I have the weakest enamel on the face of the planet.

Same thing here! Most of my teeth have a filling, I've had two emergency root canals (emergency root canal=it goes from perfectly fine and pain free to distressingly abscessed in about two and a half days. One in high school, again in college), and my wisdom teeth decided to go from not existing to horribly impacted and facing straight forward, requiring a hospital visit to correct (during which we found out I'm a mild bleeder and don't take well to anasthesia...).

But then I brush and floss and mouthwash every day, limit soda intake and haven't touched gatorade in years (it's worse for your enamel, it turns out).

At least they're nice and straight!

I'm also not so hardcore. I need the novacaine, but have an injection phobia. That makes it all so much more fun.

penny_dreadful
02-26-2011, 02:05 PM
At least they're nice and straight!

Ha! Mine have always been nice and straight without braces, too. I guess I got off easy in that regard.

rubyspitfire
02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
i should have had braces, but my parents hesitated when the orthodontist doubled the price and said i needed headgear and a whole bunch of other extra stuff when he heard they had insurance. too late now...

i had my wisdom teeth pulled before they were above the gums. stitches in mouth is different o.o i've had one filling and a root canal, which hurt more than getting all 4 wisdom teeth yanked out and a broken nose combined. i have another tooth that i need to get pulled but i haven't had the money to go to the dentist. i'm kind of scared what they'll say since i haven't been since the root canal. most around here won't even touch it without taking xrays of my whole mouth, setting up a patient profile, and making me come in for a cleaning first and i want to avoid all that... just pull the damn tooth!

Buckshot Billie
02-26-2011, 03:47 PM
I am a giant wimp. Well, I guess I can't be that bad if I have five tattoos and a piercing.

I'm also a giant wimp with multiple tattoos and piercings. However, those varieties of pain will never hold up to what I felt during my years with braces or the entire month I was out-of-commission from wisdom tooth removal.

Firefly026
02-26-2011, 03:50 PM
I had braces from my 8th grade year until the end of my freshman year in high school.
Not too long of a time, so it didn't bother me.
But I still wear my retainer :) even though I think it's gross.

But I'll have to get my wisdom teeth out soon :C

ShinobuWind
02-26-2011, 05:23 PM
In elementary school and throughout middle school until the 8th grade, I had to wear two expander retainers because my jaw was too small for braces...or something like that (don't know lol). Then around April of 8th grade, I got my braces on.
Skip forward to 2008. My last baby tooth never fell out and the dentist and orthodontist was worried the adult tooth wouldn't come in. I also had an extra tooth under my gums somewhere.
So, in July of 2008, after I got sick at a convention about a week before, I go in to get surgery. It was pretty simple. They would pull the baby tooth, take out the extra tooth, and attach a chain to my adult tooth, which my orthodontist would attach to the wire/bracket of my braces in order to pull the tooth up. But, when they almost finished the procedure, I vomited due to too much laughing gas that I could handle (they adjusted it for me and I thought the amount was fine). So in order for me to stop vomiting, they gave me a shot, which caused my blood pressure to sky rocket, which caused my breathing to become irregular. Eventually, after a little oxygen, I calmed down enough so they could finish the surgery. About 2 weeks later or so, my orthodontist attaches the chain to my bracket/wire.
Skip to late 2010. So the tooth is up, and the chain is off. And my orthodontist says my braces come off in January. So needless to say, after 4 long years of having them on I was super happy they were coming off. Sadly though that was delayed due to the fact I got tonsilitis >>
So now skip to Feb. 2011. My braces are finally off. I've had them all throughout high school so i'm happy they are gone! ^^ I now have to wear two regular retainers 24/7 except when I eat and brush my teeth. But it turns out, that impacted tooth got slightly damaged while it was being pulled up, so I'm told I may have to get a cap for it. At some point I'm also whitening my teeth And..I think my wisdom teeth are coming in too...

DarkFujin
02-26-2011, 07:06 PM
night guards (I grind my teeth at night. Every time I go to the dentist they point out how flat my molars are).

What kind of night guard are you using? A custom-fitted one, a storebought boil-and-bite one, or what? And if it's a storebought one, which brand? I stopped wearing night guards because the brand I used changed the way they made them. One on hand, they're more durable and don't break every three weeks like the ones they used to make, but at the same time they're almost TOO durable and make me subconsciously bite down on it even more and cause major jaw problems.

If you have a custom-fitted one, is it durable and comfortable? I want to get a custom-fitted one, but my insurance won't cover it so it will cost around $300 or so, and I'm scared of biting through it like I do with the storebought ones.

I've had nights where I've woken up and couldn't open my mouth. I have jaw problems, my gum line is receding from clenching my teeth so hard, my molars have been ground into little craters causing all sorts of problems, etc. My dentist comments on it every time I go in for a check-up.

The other thing my dentist always comment son is my lack of bicuspids. My mouth is too small for all my teeth so when I was a kid they pulled a TON of teeth and moved everything around with retainers. I don't have gaps in my teeth or anything, they look normal, I'm just missing a few things if you look at my x-rays. My dentist thinks it's funny for some reason and jokes about it every time I get my teeth x-ray'd.

Other than that, I've had retainers, braces, headgear, rubberbands, three fillings (from my grinding problem) and currently have a permanent retainer on the bottom of my teeth. Luckily, my retainer is on the back of my teeth and I'm taller than most people, so no one ever sees it. It's annoying though because food gets stuck in it and you have to buy a special kind of floss to thread it through.

Oh, and I got my wisdom teeth pulled, of course. There's no room in my mouth for them.

I think the only thing I haven't gotten done yet is a root canal. I hope it stays that way!

ThakYuki
02-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Worst I've ever had was having a root canal in the 5th grade. Luckily, with my minimal oral care, I don't get cavities any more. And since I clench my teeth a lot (and have tmd) my dentist told me to go get a fit-at-home night guard to wear. Unfortunately due to school, I haven't been back to see him to tell him that the night guard causes other problems for my mouth.

ShinobiXikyu
02-26-2011, 09:07 PM

I'm similar. Overbitten, spaced buck teeth that assure under no circumstances will I open my mouth in photographs, a canine that didn't come down properly that makes it worse (the baby tooth took WAY too long in falling out, so the permanent one started growing in overtop and didn't sit where it should in the gumline), my wisdom teeth are still there (though it looks ike they'll have to come out eventually), and certainly not good, sparkly white unblemished teeth...yet no cavities at all to date. I have ridiculously hard bones.
I hate having such awful teeth, but dentists are both expensive as hell, AND I'm utterly horrified of them. To just get me into a reception room you have to blindfold and gag me and use copious amounts of chloroform.

Koona K.
02-27-2011, 01:41 AM
I was horrible to my teeth when I was a kid. I remember I finally had to go get a root channel (most pain full thing I've ever had in my life!) and when I went to get it filled I was scared. One, b/c it was the dentist. Two, the guy had the lamp straight in my face and was actually putting me to sleep (I'm weird. Sometimes light or the direct sun light will put me to sleep if I'm relaxed.) I tried VERY hard not to fall asleep while they were working on me and as they were finishing it up my mom called them and told them to go ahead and take care of four cavities I had too! T_T I seriously wanted to runaway. I fought another hour to stay awake.

After that I take really good care of my teeth. Unfortunately, I have three permanent baby teeth which means there are no adult teeth under them so they can not be pulled out. These are my top canines and one bottom left canine. It sucks a little b/c I now have the best teeth in my whole family but my canines make my smile awkward since their smaller than my others. I want to either get veneers for them or something of the like b/c its really erks me to smile fully in pics cause I hate it so much.

Other than that I've gotten my teeth whitened for the conventions I go to here. I use the Crest Pro Effects since my teeth were pretty near white anyway. Don't ever get the vivid or advanced kind if your teeth are close to white they only work a little bit but the pro effects preferred b/c they will go all the way white. Just saying. I wished had just taken the highest one. More expensive yes, but very worth it and would have saved me money.

shadowdragon13
02-27-2011, 02:43 AM
I have a crazy story. :D

Before I got my braces I had to get some teeth removed to make some room so that my teeth could be pulled back intoplace cuz I had a bad underbite and an even worse overbite. So it actually looked like I just had an overbite, except when we looked at the x ray's then you can see my crazy teeth. Anyway, I had to get 3 of my bicuspids removed, my only baby baby tooth remaining, it was a canine and it was stuck up there for so long (I was 18 when I had this prosedure) cuz my adult canine was impacted. That had to come out too cuz it was going to cause problems. And then I got my wisdom teeth removed for a total of 9 teeth being surgically removed at once. Thank goodness this all happened after Thanksgiving '07 or else I would've had to miss out on all the food that year. The cool thing was that I didn't have any noticable swelling, or pain and I healed in about a month.

Now for the braces. They were put on in Janurary of '08. IT was a very painfull process the first year. I could never talk or eat cuz of how bad the pain was. The 2nd year wasn't so bad, but there was pain here and there. I got them off in May of '10, so I had them for 2 years and 4 months. And then I had to wear my retainers continuously until just last month. Now I only have to wear them at night. And yes, I actually do wear my retainers, though there are some nights when I forget to put them on, but it doesn't happen often.

And that's my story. :D

Shana05
02-27-2011, 03:29 AM
I had braces for 4 years. It was only supposed to be for 2 but my brackets kept breaking. I hated going to the orthodontist because I'd always get this big lecture. I have an oral fixation so I have a habit of chewing on all kinds of things which is why my brackets kept breaking.

x-Steffi-x
02-27-2011, 03:57 AM
I was *supposed* to have braces put along my bottom teeth as they are slightly out of place, but they're not bad (only two teeth are like it?) and was referred to an Orthodontist some years ago. But the person who was supposed to be giving me some left, so I didn't need any! Hoorah! Not like I really needed them anyway. Had about four fillings now though...

Michi
02-27-2011, 04:19 AM
I didn't have braces as a kid, but I've been in various stages of Invisalign over the past 2 years. I'm basically done, but now they're correcting my slight overbite so I still have new trays. The straightening is all good, though! My two front teeth used to overlap something awful, as well as a few other issues, and now everything's so pretty and straight. (And uh, have been for almost a year now.) It's amazing how much more confidence I have now, too! Yay nicer teeth!

Angathol
02-27-2011, 07:12 AM
What kind of night guard are you using? A custom-fitted one, a storebought boil-and-bite one, or what? And if it's a storebought one, which brand? I stopped wearing night guards because the brand I used changed the way they made them. One on hand, they're more durable and don't break every three weeks like the ones they used to make, but at the same time they're almost TOO durable and make me subconsciously bite down on it even more and cause major jaw problems.

If you have a custom-fitted one, is it durable and comfortable? I want to get a custom-fitted one, but my insurance won't cover it so it will cost around $300 or so, and I'm scared of biting through it like I do with the storebought ones.

Mine was custom-made by my orthodontist. When I had one on my lower jaw I wore through the molars after a while so I think he made me another one. My newer one (I say newer but he made it several years ago) is for my upper jaw, and is pretty thick at the back so that my jaws align properly when I wear it; it's very durable. It also does some teeth correction. I haven't worn it much since it occasionally sets off my gag reflex and I sometimes have trouble sleeping with it on, but I need to get back to using it.

squ33k t0y
02-27-2011, 09:14 AM
I had 4 teeth pulled to put my braces in (my mouth was overcrowded), had braces for 4 years, and like most people, didn't really wear my retainer after.

o-o

Braithcakes
02-27-2011, 09:42 AM
I really...REALLY want braces.

My teeth are...pretty much straight but there's just a slight spacing issue and I don't like the smallish gap in my two front teeth, I also need them to fix a chipped tooth I have and I have a feeling if I get braces they'll want to remove my wisdom teeth.

x_x

thing is....I'm a huge baby about pain and incredibly squimish when it comes to surgery so I'd probably puke from getting my wisdom teeth pulled.

That and....the whole not being able to eat much doesn't work for me, since my metabolism is so high I'm having to eat every 2 hours large meals and I would probably starve to death from wisdom teeth removal x_X

but I so desperately want pretty teeth. It'd make my cosplays much better, in my opinion.

fullbleed
02-27-2011, 12:39 PM
I am British and my teeth are suitably... well... British. Never had anywork done though, because they weren't quite bad enough to get braces on the NHS. They said that my teeth would straighten out on their own, I know that's bollocks nothing goes away on its own. When I was 8 my sister stabed me in the chin with a pen and 10 years later I've still got a blue dot under the skin that they said would go away.

creativecrater
02-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Believe it or not, I found the pain of the drilling to be more tolerable than the feeling of the needle sliding into my gum and the novocaine being injected. It also meant I could eat and drink right afterward without everything dribbling out the side of my mouth. That's kind of a priority for me.

It's actually not all that uncommon for people to get fillings without novacaine (which, techinically, is not the anesthetic they use nowadays). I'm a registered dental assistant and work for 2 offices. The one dr refuses to work on you unless your numb. He's uncomfortable with his patients if they are not. So no matter how scared they are of a needle, he still insists on numbing (if they didn't want it, they'd have to go to one of the other 50 dentists in the medical building :P )

The other dr i work for doesn't use anesthetic in probably 40% of cases. Even if people want to be numb, he usually convinces them to at least try without for small fillings and he'll numb them if it gets too dicey. Of course, it's pretty much necessary for crowns/root canals/extractions/ect, unless you truely are a masochist (one such patient I've truely met).

Really, why be numb for 2-4 hrs for a super small filling that wouldn't have hurt? I've had 2 fillings done with no anesthetic and while it ups your anxiety a bit, I prefer no needles in my mouth if avoidable. I had a palatal (roof of mouth) injection for a gum graph (they take a chunk of your gums from somewhere in your mouth and move it to a new location) cuz of a hereditary gum recession problem on my lower front teeth. Booness. Also had braces for 2 years and 4 premolars pulled to make room for my wisdom teeth, which I still have.

The no gloves thing someone mentioned above is inexcuseable though.

P.S. Sorry for the long post, but this is actually a subject I can relate to. XP

Cerfestas
03-10-2011, 12:02 AM
I have about 10 grand worth of orthodontic work that needs to be done and I'm putting it off because of various reasons. It's kind of embarrassing to smile and makes me a little self conscious while cosplaying, but you either learn to love what you have or spend the rest of your life in misery.

Also have a couple impacted wisdom teeth that cause me some grief when they decide to float up, but I'm scared to get them taken out. Is it as bad as everyone says?

Jennifer337
03-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Overbitten... buck teeth that assure under no circumstances will I open my mouth in photographs, a canine that didn't come down properly that makes it worse (the baby tooth took WAY too long in falling out, so the permanent one started growing in overtop and didn't sit where it should in the gumline), my wisdom teeth are still there (though it looks ike they'll have to come out eventually), and certainly not good, sparkly white unblemished teeth...yet no cavities at all to date.

Wow. This... this is me. I have the overbite issue as well and I hate how they kinda stick outwards a little to go over the teeth below. I also have one canine tooth that didn't grow out all the way so it looks smaller than the other top one, which creates a gap between the top and bottom rows of teeth, so it looks odd when I smile. I hate it. =/
I still have my wisdom teeth. Two grew in normally, the other two grew out at really weird angles, though they haven't caused any problems yet so I haven't gotten them pulled.

Pocketfightr
03-10-2011, 11:02 AM
I need some work done. I've had a gap between my front two teeth since forever. My parents kept telling the dentist to hold out on doing anything, figuring my wisdom teeth would shift everything forward and fix the gap. Thanks parents, I knew it wouldn't work. I can't smile with my mouth open the slightest bit because I see the darkness from the gap. -_- Ugh, someday when I have the money it will be fixed...

The dentist wants to remove my wisdom teeth. Not because they're doing anything wrong but just because "they might cause problems later and we've had to do X amount of root canals (or whatever they said) this week because of people's wisdom teeth."

touchmon
03-10-2011, 02:44 PM
I've never had any work done on my teeth(besides cleaning and such) but now my dentist is telling me to get braces because I have this random tooth that is pretty much not in alignment with my other teeth. And right now, I'm pretty much resisting since I am 19 and I think it would be weird to get braces now. :/

Eau de Decus
03-10-2011, 04:48 PM
I had braces for two years, then had a retainer for about one year after. My teeth decided to not stay straight, so I had my braces placed back on for about a year and a half, then they were removed and I had a permanent bottom bracket attached to the front six teeth on the bottom portion of my jaw behind the teeth (not in front like conventional braces).

I was told the whole time my wisdom teeth would never surface, so naturally they did. They had to be removed ASAP because they were coming in sideways and would ruin the last five years of dental work, however the trick was that the roots of my teeth don't dissolve, so I can't naturally lose my teeth (had every one pulled by my dentist). What that means for wisdom teeth, is that the root for the top two go up into my sinus canal and the bottom two are attached to my lower jaw, so they had to break the teeth into four components and then cut away my gums and remove a small portion of my lower and upper jaw that surrounded the teeth. It took about a year for the bone to grow back from the section they cut and then the gums could regrow. Oh, the memories...

At least my teeth are straight and pretty now. :3

Convulsive
03-10-2011, 08:09 PM
I love my teeth! As Chip Skylark says... MAH SHINEH TEETH AND MEEEEEEEEEE!
actually, my teeth aren't all that shiny :-/ they're like a dim off-white colour (eckkk) they used to be nice and pearly, only because i bleached them for cheer season because I had to smile and cheer in front of a bunch of gridiron junkies and their parents. I haven't had any time to go on to bleach my teeth because i don't have motivation anymore and freaking play rehearsals all the damn time D:

totorolover
03-10-2011, 11:11 PM
hey i just went to the dentist today!! well i havent gone to the dentist for a while after moving out. bout 2years ago i got some fillings redone, from silver to porcelain, i was gonna get my wisdom teeth pulled but found out i was pregnant so they couldnt put me under. fast foward 1 1/2 years i finally mustered up the courage again to get my wisdom teeth pulled, the two bottom ones came in sideways and had totally messed up my bottom front teeth by this time. so i got the wisdom teeth pulled, root canal, cap, filling. and today they reminded me that the fool that did the porcelain fillings (done at a different dentist) hadnt done them right and i need another cap ASAP and will need at least one more later.

i would really like to get some braces and whiten my teeth later on :(

Kelley
03-11-2011, 06:29 AM
One of the problems with leaving impacted or unerupted/semierupted wisdom teeth in is that the gums tend to open and close around them - and tiny food particles can get trapped in there with them.

This can lead to infections and your teeth rotting - which is as gross, awful and painful as it sounds. You definitely want them out before that happens if you have health care to cover it.

Winter's Dream
03-11-2011, 07:07 AM
I've had braces with massive plastic blocks to bring my jaw forward, but I absolutely hated them. Now, I always hide my dentists letters saying I'm due for a checkup, because I know I need a filling, and that means a needle. Ohonononononononono.

DireKitty
03-11-2011, 07:21 AM
I was sent to an orthodontist who said I needed braces. So i got them. Then I saw my dentist who said "WTF NO! I JUST WANTED HIM TO LOOK!" so i had them taken off. He was not happy, my mouth was very sore and bloody by the end of it.

I get canker sores when i floss. Weird.

HomeDepot
03-11-2011, 10:13 AM
I had 4 teeth removed to get braces. I wore my retainer faithfully for two years and then said screw it. Then had my wisdom teeth taken out a few years later.
I've had a couple of cavities. They can stab me in the jaw with as many needles as they want. It is the high pitched whining of the drill that bothers me.

Arlette
03-11-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm the worst when it comes to the dentist/orthodontist because of my horrible gag reflex. Both my upper and lower palettes are extremely curved, so EVERYTHING makes me gag. Getting x-rays is a near-impossible disaster. That said, I somehow got through wearing braces for five years. 8th grade until 12th grade. I wasn't even done when I made the orthodontist remove them. He was a quack, and in that five years I had seen very little improvement (other than closing the huge gap that used to be between my two front teeth) and I informed him I would NOT be wearing braces in my senior photos. So I signed a waiver and had them done away with. Could never wear a retainer because of the gagging thing.

Anyway, I have bucked teeth still, but they look relatively straight when I smile so I'm not sweating it too much. I did have an incisor that I used to call my "freak tooth" because the adult tooth had only half formed due to a genetic thing, giving the appearance of a little fang. I was a little self-conscious about it, so I had a crown put on before my wedding in 2006.

Other than that, I've had all my wisdom teeth out. That sucked. The top two were pulled, but the bottom two had to be cut out. Got that done in 2008. A week before Thanksgiving. Because I'm really dumb.

DarkDaylight
03-12-2011, 09:58 PM
I have had braces for about a year and a half now. The worst part was the horrifying expander. -shudder- So hard to eat, talk, LIVE, etc.

Gwazi57
03-12-2011, 10:25 PM
I had braces for 5 YEARS.

It was awful. Now I have to wear a retainer for the rest of my life...

Aurora Maryte
03-12-2011, 11:00 PM
I have buck teeth- which I finally learned isn't the poor teeth's fault but an overbite coupled with an underdeveloped lower jaw.
Anyway...I was originally told the problem was all the teeth and that once my baby teeth fell out I would need braces. However, the orthodontist then decided that I would get a retainer first. I agreed, because I was kind of afraid of braces back then. So I wore the retainer(it went on my upper jaw, had a thing I was supposed to pull my lower jaw in front of and then close my mouth), and eventually the dentist told me that braces would do nothing for me and the retainer hadn't either. Great job, I can totally see the value in a dental school education. My grandparents had paid for the retainer, and basically wasted all that money because the dentist was an idiot and lied.

Sooo I got a second opinion...and a third...but the general consensus is this: I need to have major mouth surgery, by having both jaws broken and wired for three months. This would be done by a maxilofacial surgeon, and would supposedly make the upper jaw slghtly smaller, while enlarging the lower one and pulling it forwards. It would cost around $10,000. So, basically, I'm screwed and stuck with an overbite/buck teeth until I become a doctor and can afford expensive cosmetic surgery.
I'm not even sure a surgery is worth it though. I'm unhappy and self conscious about my teeth, but I'm not impaired in any way, and the surgery and aftermath can be dangerous..

AK47andLipstick
04-04-2011, 01:50 AM
I've had braces for going on nine years because my irresponsible father never took me to appointments. I have had my back two molars dug out and uprighted and have had an expander. I still have to get jaw surgery. My mouth's not that bad, it's just the fact that nearly two years of wearing braces, I was taken to the orthodontist about once.

Chimera~Moon
04-04-2011, 09:33 AM
I've had braces for a year and a half o3o" i get them off in......26 minutes :D"
Edit: i want my braces back..

tn_scotsman
04-04-2011, 11:39 AM
I had my two back wisdom teeth pulled last year. One was in so tight, that I actually woke up for a split second when the dentist failed pulling it out causing my head to slam into the chair and hear him shout "DAMMIT". Then I was out again.
Next day the gauze came out of that socket and dry socket set in. Nearly overdosed on pain meds once. Feeling your heart slow is not fun. Everything eventually cleared up, but spending a couple of weeks doped on pain meds does not help depression. Nearly a year in therapy to help level me back out.

Kyomi
04-04-2011, 04:11 PM
I had all four wisdoms pulled at once last winter. The laughing gas mask slipped off halfway through so I woke up and kinda wiggled around because I was actually conscious again. They tried to strap me down because I wanted to put the mask back on and wasn't able to tell them until they saw me try to reach for it.

But it was the best/worst week of my life. On one side, I was totally out of it all week because of Tylenol 3 (or a variant of it) but at the same time, the fact that the procedure messed with my mouth irked me.

All I really remember is drinking a lot of green tea.

As for cavities, I've never had actual cavities. I had one that was on the brink of developing into one, but got it filled before anything happened.
Never wore braces or a retainer - my dentist told me I don't need braces and he was right - my overlapping teeth have spread out as my jaw got wider as I aged.

IAmShorty
04-04-2011, 04:25 PM
I had teeth that stuck out at off sci-fi like angles for years. Then I got a palatal divider. Got made fun of for a long time because I couldn't pronounce anything. Then the dentists had a hard time getting it off. They pulled it and drilled it, drilled it some more, and took a hammer and chisel to it, nothing worked. Then they used a little screw thingy and popped it off. Hurt really bad too!
My teeth are pretty acceptable now, but I still have a few that stick out at weird angles.

noctiluca
04-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I've had really extensive dental work over the years because of a small mouth and baby teeth that never wanted to come out.

I've had teeth pulled, expanders and retainers put in, braces (5 years, THE WORST), wisdom tooth surgery... pretty much everything except for headgear. Whew. I'm glad I never had to wear headgear.

I've still got a mild fang-mouth. Because after all that, it was so painful I just wanted to let my teeth be. So I stopped wearing my retainer and now I've got a couple sorta-crooked teeth, but at least it finally feels okay to eat. I don't care about having a perfect veneered smile. At least I HAVE teeth!

xSelanx
04-05-2011, 03:51 PM
I haven't been to the dentist in years. It's bad, I know. Being on my husband's medical plan since he's in the navy has pushed me to wanting to get my mouth worked on again. Tricare will only cover half of surgery costs, though, and if I have to get braces for "cosmetic reasons," they won't cover it at all.

At this point, I don't think it'd be cosmetic. I went to the dentist a couple of times in early high school, and I was told that my mouth was too small for my teeth, which is why my canines grew in over the rest of my teeth (so now they're above the gumline). I need to have my wisdom teeth pulled as well.

But at this point, I'm afraid to have major dental work done. I have a digestive condition called achalasia, acid reflux disease, and peristalsis dysmotility. I have enough problems eating and keeping food down... if I go a long period of time not being able to eat well (ie, healing after dental surgery), I don't even want to think about what the outcome could be.

Yazoo_the_Kazoo
04-05-2011, 05:27 PM
I currently have invisalign and a rubber band.
I honestly could care less about having crooked teeth. That's not why I got the braces. I got them because my jaw is misaligned, and I was originally told that straightening my teeth would most likely align my jaw, and stop the TMJ pain I have. It didn't work, so now while I have lovely straight teeth, the middle of my two front teeth is about lined up with the lateral incisor next to my left canine tooth. Hence the rubber band, which I got about five days ago. It's attached to these two "buttons" that are cemented to my teeth, which are really kinda rough. They cut into my mouth when I eat. :/
My teeth were seriously very crooked though, you can see it pretty well in some of my older cosplay pictures. From canine to canine was literally diagonal. But I dunno, I didn't mind it. In fact, I kind of miss my crooked teeth. Ho hum... XD

ShinobiXikyu
04-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Ugh. I got TMJ disorder myself from getting kicked in the face/my jaw dislocated when I was 12. My jaw popped itself back into place, BUT now I have that damn clicking sensation in the left side that gets especially aggravated when I eat really chewy stuff. Plus my overbite. So my jaw is not something I'm proud of (I've also noticed I tend to almost unconsciously thrust it forward or clench my teeth, often not being comfy if it's "naturally" where it is, which is giving me occasional headaches). Ugh. I think half the reason I have such a gigantic phobia of all things dentistry related is the fear of getting told "Nope, no hope, unless you want to fork out half a million and about a decade worth of intensive surgery and orthodontia to get it about HALF fixed..."

Yazoo_the_Kazoo
04-06-2011, 09:56 PM
I HATE the clicking. Every time I yawn... *shudders*
I know exactly what you mean about the clenching and jaw thrusting too. I actually give myself a pretty significant underbite sometimes, when I get angry mostly, or if I'm in a lot of pain with my jaw sitting in it's "natural" position. Oddly enough for me, that came in handy, because I'm not the only one who does it. (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GT0-g5YtYTw/R_pb5gtiEsI/AAAAAAAABZY/bEjagJBzVJw/s320/fop_donna_doctor-angry.jpg) But I get the worst headaches...
Yes, basically TMJ = RAWR.
Hopefully this rubberband works. If they want me to have surgery, I don't know if I could do it.