PDA

View Full Version : Universities?

Inkreader13
02-28-2011, 12:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever done a photo shoot at a university. I was walking around my campus today and I got really inspired by some of the locations and thought they would be perfect for photos. I am a little worried about just suddenly showing up and taking photos in a strange costume, especially because security is so high on campus. Should I maybe contact someone and make sure it's okay?

Buckshot Billie
02-28-2011, 12:33 PM
I really don't think you'll have an issue if you're courteous and stay mostly out of the way. On the off-chance that you do get hassled, just explain what you're up to and they'll most likely leave you be.

My friends and I have taken pictures at their community college campus and, aside from the occasional odd look, nobody gave us any trouble.

BetwixtPhotos
02-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Since you are a student there it really shouldn't be a problem. If your university has any sort of art department most people will probably just assume you are doing something for a school project. As long as you don't have any props that look dangerous or like real weapons you should be fine.

FiveRings
02-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Public universities are usually ok. Private universities will give you a hard time, even if you're a student.

Rose of Battle
02-28-2011, 07:59 PM
I go to a private university and I've never had any problems. If I'm doing a shoot that I need a classroom for, I make sure that classes are done for the day in that room and that no one is going to be using it. If I'm outside, I just try to make sure that there aren't too many people around that I'll disturb. When I pass people on the way to a location, I generally tell them it's for an art or photo project. People are usually really cool about it, but I go to a pretty "chill" college.

Inkreader13
02-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks for all the help! I feel much more confident about this. I was planning to wait until after finals were over so that there will be less people around.

KitKatCaughtcha
03-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Heck, if you're in college say it's for a photography project...

Periphescent
03-17-2011, 12:22 PM
You are absolutely allowed to use public universities in the US. If Repent America can spend hours standing around, screaming, preaching, and shoving horrendously photoshopped and wholly inaccurate pictures of "aborted fetuses" at people on a public campus, then you can take a few pictures in a costume.

...not that I'm angry about it or anything. ^_^; But yeah, go for it! Hey, if you have an anime club on campus, you should talk about arranging a cosplay event or something!

Inkreader13
03-18-2011, 08:50 AM
I'd love to do a cosplay event but not many people here cosplay and it's really hard to organize something with other cosplayers that are in the area. -_-

winterwish
03-19-2011, 03:22 AM
if you look 'young enough', just say you're a college student doing a photography project.

or feign ignorance and say you're a photo enthuiast and try to get away as many shots as you can before they catch you. (this may be difficult if you get up to a lot of equipment like me LOL)

rawien8706
06-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Since you are a student there it really shouldn't be a problem. If your university has any sort of art department most people will probably just assume you are doing something for a school project. As long as you don't have any props that look dangerous or like real weapons you should be fine.

That happened to me and a friend! We had people on campus that didn't know us ask if we were part of the theatre department. We said no and continue on with what we were doing. It added to more strange looks, but we usually answer with "we dress like this all the time." Ha ha

KnightJeran
07-07-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm going to college soon and really want to shoot on the campus. I hope to just go in and ask my campus security (private college) about it and hopefully I get the OK. I don't understand why it would be bad unless I was making a HUGE fool of myself or disrupting something.

Blahsblah2001
07-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Universities are the best for backdrops. They have big stone buildings and neat statues. Bowling green has a buried silver giant and Akron U has a 30 foot tall piece of rock candy made out of plastic. I don't think they'd care if you took photos- most colleges are used to people doing silly eccentric things.

EseCulo
08-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Universities are amazing for photo shoots. There is one that is five minutes away from my house called Oglethorpe University and many of my friends that cosplay go there to take pictures. Yesterday I went there with my father and we were able to spend a few hours taking pictures there and no one batted an eye at us.

That area is also amazing for Ouran Host Club photo shoots.

tenleid
08-12-2011, 10:34 AM
We TRIED to take pictures at UofT, but got kicked out because we didnt have a permit. We're going to try to get one soon, but I need to convince my friend who goes there to get the permit for me, since they only give them to students.

Check with the school to make sure its okay before hand.

SobriK
08-16-2011, 10:25 AM
It really depends. If you're a student there, and you're not trespassing (read: forcing your way into a building after hours) you will probably be fine. Most academic buildings are open fairly late, and so long as you're not trying to organize a student/club meeting in a room without scheduling it... I can't think of what issue they would take with you being there. Try not to use anything technological (generators, etc) as backdrops as that might cause some people to call security in a panic.

As for outdoor photos, it should be even easier assuming that your cosplay isn't too edgy/revealing/trashy and you're not drawing scads of attention to yourself and what you're doing. Then again, I suppose it depends on where you're doing the photoshoot. On an empty lawn or against a random building should be more than fine, but if you're trying to use something iconic (a school seal, clocktower, the 50 yard line of their football field...) I could see the University taking a dim view of the shoot, no matter how innocent it may be.

If you're *really* nervous about permits, check the school's site for a Housing, Conferences and Hospitality or Special Events office and ask them about the steps you need to follow for a non-commercial photoshoot. Once they find out that you're not trying to make money off of them, they'll probably handwave you through the process.