PDA

View Full Version : A Theory to why we crossplay?

FalconW
10-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Growing up, I loved watching Saturday morning cartoons with my sister. We'd watch everything. I liked watching girl cartoons such as JEM and My Little Pony. I still really like the My Little Pony Movie. I was also around Barbie dolls a lot when I was a kid.

In high school, my school had a long 15 year tradition called Spirit Week. SW was in the last week of October and every day was a different costume day. Every year there was Opposite-Sex Day where the boys dressed as girls and girls dressed as boys. Everyone really got into it, including the teachers. The parents saw no problems in this. It was all about fun.

Cause of these, I think they have made me a better person and a more understanding and respect of women.

Do you think this is why some guys crossplay? Cause they have more respect and understanding of women and the way they were brought up?

RHIshida
10-25-2003, 03:01 PM
That's one reason, but I think one of the main reasons is that a lot of cosplayers don't want to confine themselves to only cosplaying characters of the same physical sex. They'd prefer to cosplay any character they liked, even if it was a character of the opposite physical sex. There are multiple reasons why people crossplay. To me, crossplaying is fun so I'm going to keep on doing it ^_^

Michi
10-25-2003, 06:13 PM
'Cause I like a good number of male characters and there's a very apparent masculine side to my personality. o.o

Yay. o_O?

Hanyaan
10-25-2003, 06:32 PM
All of my friends who crossplayed as guy characters did so because they loved the character so much...aka fangirlism gone cuckoo. XD

But I agree that some people crossplay just because they don't want to limit themselves to one gender's costumes.

dustbunny690
10-25-2003, 08:03 PM
I think it's because a lot of people like to try new things and nothing says a new thing then dressing as the opposite sex. Plus some people feel more comfortable doing crossplaying. i dunno why thats just the way it is.

Fault
10-25-2003, 08:14 PM
I believe everyone crossplays for their own personal reasons.

My reasons include: I like the character, I want to look cool, and the idea of being taken for a guy sounds like fun (although it is a nigh impossibility with my body).

In the case of YAOI queens, it's possibly so that they'll be attractive to guys that they're attracted to (ie: yaoi bishies). :D

Scortia
10-25-2003, 09:42 PM
Having guts and liking the character really. And like Michi says, I found myself looking for good female characters to cosplay... when I found one with a good personality, they'd have costumes that I wouldn't want to wear. There just are way more cool guys in anime and video games, IMHO... well, in general too... most girls are so wishy-washy. ~_~;;

CapsuleCorp
10-25-2003, 10:14 PM
Same here. I identify with male characters more, and have always been a tomboy/masculine girl. Guys are so much cooler when it comes to costumes and stuff. I feel much more comfortable pretending to be a male character than a female one. It just fits me better, for some reason.

I keep joking that I'm a gay man trapped in a woman's body. ;)

Fault
10-25-2003, 11:01 PM
I keep joking that I'm a gay man trapped in a woman's body. ;)

Heh, me too :) Dressing guy-ey feels comfortable. Though part of that is merely the fact that I don't have to worry about people looking up my skirt on stairs and things like that :P

LunarYoma
10-26-2003, 12:01 AM
Cause of these, I think they have made me a better person and a more understanding and respect of women.

Do you think this is why some guys crossplay? Cause they have more respect and understanding of women and the way they were brought up?

Im not hyper masculine. I never liked sports except volley ball when i was in high school(on serving i averaged about getting 7 points out of ever 12 serves i did) & they didnt have a mens team, so i didnt do any sports at all.

I view men that are totally insensitive to the others around them(this include religious types/bigots/fanatics as well) as being throwbacks of a bygone era.

Reason i crossplay is because i find alot of the female costumes/clothing of alot of the female anime characters very pleasing/alluring to my eyes moreso than male anime characters.

I also have way more fun dressing up as female anime characters than male characters, plus i attract alot more attention when i crossplay which is a plus for me.

Nine
10-26-2003, 04:53 PM
I cosplay females because I don't like most male characters, and I only like to cosplay characters I like. That's all. I find women's clothing very uncomfortable, I'm happy to be a guy, I don't do it because I'm gay (which O happen to be but still I don't do it because of that lol) or anything else like that. I just cosplay. It isn't crossplay to me, it's cosplaying. :)

Chosuke
10-26-2003, 05:08 PM
I cosplay the characters I like, or find attractive.
And it just so happens about 99% of the characters I happen to like and find attractive are males.

It doesn't have anything to do with my Psyche, or how I was brought up.

Railiens
10-26-2003, 05:26 PM
I could see that it definitely adds a bit of excitement to a costume, a sort of taboo zing that allows you not only to become a different character, but an entirely new gender as well. To assume the opposite role while crossplaying.

Yes, as majority states, I crossplay because I love many male characters, however I also crossplay because it's interesting and somewhat exciting to try something so different for a while.

Karisu-sama
10-26-2003, 07:21 PM
Having guts and liking the character really.
some people crossplay just because they don't want to limit themselves to one gender's costumes.
'Cause I like a good number of male characters and there's a very apparent masculine side to my personality.
I'll go with those... ^^

As Fault said, everyone has their own personal set of reasons. I just think it's cool that people can feel comfortable enough to do it these days, as we didn't many years ago.

Mizuno Tenshi
10-28-2003, 09:50 AM
Well... I just don't think of myself as that much of a guy. There are a few... VERY few male characters I like... but I wouldn't want to cosplay them anyways. I mean... a con is a chance for me to relax and be more of who I am, so I'll take it!
I'd say I'm a femme lesbian trapped in a man's body, then... ;)

Tenshi

Hitori
10-28-2003, 10:04 AM
XD Some funni responses. I totalli agree with the, I don't crossplai because it's crossplai, it's cosplai. It's all cosplai to mi^_^ The bonus in a crossplai is that extra little challenge, it is so much harder for mi to pull off a guy rather than a girl outfit which is just like getting dressed basicalli.

Black_Knight
11-12-2003, 09:04 PM
In the area I live, if I walked around in a Sailor Fuku, I'd probably get shot... ^^"

I find them much more confortable to wear...

Lucifer
11-12-2003, 10:49 PM
It might just be me, but I am more attacted to the outfits worn my anime/video game males then females. I can see myself wearing those clothes more then something like Sailor Moon.

chou-dono
11-13-2003, 07:34 PM
yes you see that there people that crossplay feel fine doing it. we are taught o follow our hearts in most places so this is most likely why. if you feel fine doing it go ahead. remember we were not here to follow rules of society but to have as much fun as possible. always do wht the opposite of what society does. seeya
chou-dono

Karrit
01-15-2004, 03:08 PM
For me it's because I like a character: male or female. I think it'd be fun, creative and unconventional so why not do it at least once and see how it goes? Besides I don't see crossplaying as wrong (at elast not for conventions and cosplaying). =)

dani
01-15-2004, 03:34 PM
Besides I don't see crossplaying as wrong (at elast not for conventions and cosplaying). =)

hmmm... it would be nice if you could clarify. You left a door open in that sentence: Do you see crossplaying as wrong OUTSIDE conventions and cosplaying?

Just wondering....

Dani

Karrit
01-15-2004, 04:13 PM
hmmm... it would be nice if you could clarify. You left a door open in that sentence: Do you see crossplaying as wrong OUTSIDE conventions and cosplaying?

Just wondering....

Dani

Well, I meant I don't see anything wrong with it, although I myself would prefer to do it inside of conventions or cosplaying. =) Hope that helps.

karasu-kun
01-15-2004, 08:28 PM
I crossdress all the time. I've never worn "girlish" clothes since I was about 7. Guys clothes are always more comfortable.

I crossplay at cons because it's more fun to go as a hott bishie than a girl character.

Ami
01-15-2004, 09:23 PM
hmmm most interesting reasons i have some ideas to add to that (bout ten of them)

1. Its Fun and exalirating (yeah i know its spelled wrong long night)
2. its always a challange to try and be somthing your arent
3. it can also be like your second personality
4. because we just want to be different
5. i know this is a big one for me and that is to defy the rules of socity
6. the challange of trying somthing new and being individalized kinda like i said above
7. one could do it because they are more comfortable as that other personality
8. or it could be that the cloths are more comfortable definilty a plus for me... im not a fan of my pants hanging so low as to chaif (sorry i know tmi but its the facts)
9. others find it a better frame of mind things come eaiser when your on the other side
10. the pasture is greener on the other side to coin a phrase, the other side is better and if you can try it why not go for the gusto

just some ideas any i missed please do tell...

topleka
01-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Trying to understand the other side is part of it, I guess. But I just cosplay who I like. My parents are supportive of me, and none of my friends think it's strange. I definitely like the clothing more (not nearly as revealing as most anime girls clothing...). ::shrug:: Who knows?

Ookami
01-16-2004, 01:22 AM
Hmmm.....A good question...Well I like girly things a lot :bigtu: I LOVE Gothic Lolita clothes! :love: *Loves how pretty they look* And I LOVE sailor fukus!

Hmmm...And I guess I'm gender confused too! I'm bi, but also sometimes I actually WANT to be a girl, and would go through with the operations...But then when I think about it more......Gah! :lost: *Explodes*

I think I'll stay as physically male...I'd get too many questions if I did get the operations >.<;;;

But there's nothing stopping me from wearing kawaii clothes! ^0^

Edit: Just another little point. It may be because we all want what we can't have (dressing as the other gender in this case) BUT, in this case, we CAN have it! And we WILL! Yay for crossplay! *Shakes fist* We WILL crossplay, we WILL look cute, and we WILL go to the ball!....Errr....Ignore that last part! ^^;;;;;

Karisu-sama
01-16-2004, 01:30 AM
Ookami: Owwww.... pale pink text on light grey background hurts my eyes.... >.<

Ookami
01-16-2004, 03:13 AM
Ookami: Owwww.... pale pink text on light grey background hurts my eyes.... >.<

Sorry! :waaaah: ....errr....Sorry!

It doesn't hurt my eyes, but maybe that's because I'm colour blind! :lost:

How about this?

I just like pink... :thumbsup:

ZaWolf
01-16-2004, 06:26 AM
Hmmm...And I guess I'm gender confused too! I'm bi, but also sometimes I actually WANT to be a girl, and would go through with the operations...But then when I think about it more......Gah! :lost: *Explodes*

I think I'll stay as physically male...I'd get too many questions if I did get the operations >.<;;;

But there's nothing stopping me from wearing kawaii clothes! ^0^

Thats much how Ive felt recently. Ive wanted to crossplay for a long time, but ever since I went to university and left home (a mere 4 months ago) its kind of 'developed' to the point of wanting to actually be the opposite sex. But like you, I have seen too many reasons against actually getting the op. The main one being the hurt it could cause for my family (my mum's recently lost her husband, wouldnt want her losing her only son).

So Ive also come to the conclusion that I'll stick to non-permenent things such as crossplay, and also get some counselling to try and figure out why I want these things.

Ami
01-16-2004, 07:53 AM
the ball...... heh that is going to be great at the convention.... lets see theres gonna be the dance scene from FF8 and...... sorry kinda getting off of topic there anyway i agree with Ookami..... sounds good to me and wish good luck to ZaWolf to find out which path he wants to take in life.....

Vixencid
01-22-2004, 03:07 AM
The reason of why I do things in my life really don't need explaining. Least, that is what I have come to terms with. I do what I want as long as it doesn't affect my work. I mean, heck, I would go to work in a skirt sometimes, but, my boss wouldn't exactly appreciate that, I'm sure. Well, anyway, I'm the only guy who crossdresses(crossplays) as a female for my local Renaissance Faires, and there is some interesting things that I learned about it. One is that if you get too sensitive about it, it isn't any fun. And two, have fun. I mean, it is some of the most fun I have ever had, I swear. Anyway, I'm planning to do Miho (Megatokyo) and maybe some others in the future, though right now I have some more ambitious costumes (Skeith) to take care of.

If anyone is interested, I have a small gallery of me as my Renaissance character here: www.vixenarts.com/vmaster/ other then that, you can just go to this link to see my favorite picture: http://www.vixenarts.com/vmaster/images/rgallery/parknight.jpg

Course, it is hard for me to do any kind of crossplaying, as I have some very masculine features, as well as some feminim(sp) features and personalities, so I have a habit of flipping between both 'personalities' very quickly and frequently. I figure it just gives me a new dimention.

In the end, the reason I do it is to be myself and express who I am. That and sometimes I think I just look absolutly...*rawr*

-VC

Decibella
01-23-2004, 08:34 PM
i just like all the attention. i am a camera whore *strikes a pose and bats eyelashes*

Dolly_Entrails
01-24-2004, 12:39 AM
I’m thinking because cosplay is "escapism", its fun, its a chance to be someone your not and get into a character you love. People like to "escape" from there gender too... Admiration of a character is more then just male or female….for the most part it seems like just good fandom and fun....but I haven’t gotten much into crossplay so I don’t know for sure.

Kisa
01-24-2004, 02:37 PM
I don't like using the term 'cross' play.
It's not about gender for some of us. It's about the character or the outfit.

Kaze
01-24-2004, 05:27 PM
I dunno there something really REALLY intresting about being able to be a man for a day. It makes it even more intresting if you can actually pick up girls, and I'm not kidding. I think it's just awsome to be a guy for short preiods of time. *shrugs* that's just my view.

Unferth
01-25-2004, 04:15 PM
Simple enough for me [as a girl]:

Naturally Large Build (also aka; Never will be thin enough to be tifa ;) )
I like Guy characters/ Girl Characters

Thats it.

Chosuke
01-25-2004, 06:17 PM
I rarely ever refer to myself as a 'crossplay' or say I 'crossplay'.
Usually it is other people who point out the fact that you are not a male,and the character is.

Kat Murz
05-20-2004, 05:08 PM
I'm a girl and I just find the girl costumes too...girly and puffy for my taste. I like the guy costumes, you can move and there not pink and most are more my style.
Not only the girliness look but attitude but I'm a 6 foot tall 16 teen year old that doesn't weight very much so I can't pull off masculan characters. I had given up on doing a guy costume for AI-kon 04 till I had on this black suit that looked like a japanese school guy school uniform and my fraind told me I looked like a Bishonen and handed my a hat the hide my hair under. After that she told me to cosplay Kamui from my dvd box I had bought the previous year so I said okay!!

My mom was fine with it, actually she said she would rather have me do a guycostume then a girl since it was safer to ware in public in case there were kidnappers or something near by (she also pointed out that it would make it easier to kick someone if they did attack me -_-'). SO inconclusion I hope I see you at Ai-kon 2004 for my fellow crossplayer!!

taiki
05-20-2004, 05:26 PM
I've always been a big fan of "beauty." and after hearing about how girly boys are beautiful, why not just go one step further and one up them? X3

mukino_kuneka
05-20-2004, 05:50 PM
I'm not sure about why GUYS crossplay, but I know why I crossplay:

I wanted to make a Xellos costume (long before I knew what cosplay was), and I wasn't sure if it was OK for girls to dress up as male characters.

So I put in a search for Xellos, and low and behold, there were girls dressed up as him!

Hallelujah!

So. . .yeah. That's why I crossplay. :D

Dany
05-20-2004, 05:59 PM
For me, the gender of the costume is relatively unimportant. If it's something I enjoy, and I look good in it, I don't care whose rack it comes from ;)

vyrax778
05-20-2004, 08:59 PM
I cosplay characters I like and it just so happens to be there female

Nine
05-20-2004, 09:15 PM
It's not about gender for some of us. It's about the character or the outfit.

I totally agree with you. Except on one thing, I don't "like" using the term "crossplay", I dispise using the term "crossplay" ><!

ZaWolf
05-21-2004, 04:05 AM
Well I guess the main reason for doing any cosplay should be because you like the character or costume, but they may be many secondary reasons why some people crossplay. Personally, the idea of actually being mistaken for a girl is quite funny, I think it could be quite interesting. And also, if Im going to be dressing up I might as well be pretty :P As for calling it crossplay, I dont really mind either way, a names a name.

Kuri-chan
05-21-2004, 10:38 AM
I despise using the term "crossplay" ><!

Just curious Kisa, and Nine, why do you dislike/despise the term "crossplay"?

I understand that for you it's not a gender issue. I think for the majority of cosplayers who opt to costume characters that happen to be their opposite biological gender, it's just a secondary issue; a side effect at most.

However, I don't see the problem of using the term “crossplay” to describe a type of cosplay that involves costuming as a character who is your opposite gender (or same gender emulating the opposite gender!).

Perhaps the problem is that we’ve fallen into the linguistic habit of seeing the words as “either/or”, rather than “which is”.

Let me explain.

“Is it Cosplay or Crossplay?”

Too often here on the boards we see the term crossplay used along with cosplay, as if they were equals in the linguistic world. This sets up a natural illusion, that they are two totally different types of things, a sort of yin and yang. I would argue that crossplay is a genre of cosplay in and of itself, and falls under the umbrella of cosplay, rather than being some kind of opposite to cosplay. When one says “crossplay”, it should be recognized as cosplay by it’s very nature.

“Cosplay includes Crossplay as a genre.”

Crossplay as a genre should be recognized as the practical techniques on how to achieve the effect we are going for; “How can I look like this character, given the reality of my circumstances?” In that way, it’s no different from any other genre of cosplay.

“Cosplay = Goth Lolita, J-rock, Crossplay, Anime/Manga, and Other”

I see the term crossplay as a useful label for discussing how we can achieve the desired effects of male to female / female to male illusions in our costuming.

To be perfectly honest, I costume for the same reason Kisa and Nine both do; I don’t take the gender of a character into account, just the costume. In that sense, I’m just as happy cosplaying either gender, and crossdressers of either gender. :)

Oddly enough, I find myself in a similar position as Nine; I am transgendered, and enjoy spending time as both genders, but that’s not the reason I cosplay both genders. The two simply aren’t mutually exclusive, and I find it disappointing and frustrating that someone would assume that being transgender would be my only reason to select a character of my opposite biological gender, as if that were the whole of my personality and overshadows all decisions in my hobbies, leisure time, and life. Just like just because Nine happens to be gay, it isn’t the reason he chooses to cosplay female characters.

Sure, it’s nice being able to be a girl for a little while, but I see it as an added bonus; the gender of a character is never my primary motivation for costuming as a character.

Given that, do you still think “crossplay” is such a bad term?

Curiously,
-Kuri

chibi_kitsune
05-21-2004, 02:24 PM
Growing up, I loved watching Saturday morning cartoons with my sister. We'd watch everything. I liked watching girl cartoons such as JEM and My Little Pony. I still really like the My Little Pony Movie. I was also around Barbie dolls a lot when I was a kid.

In high school, my school had a long 15 year tradition called Spirit Week. SW was in the last week of October and every day was a different costume day. Every year there was Opposite-Sex Day where the boys dressed as girls and girls dressed as boys. Everyone really got into it, including the teachers. The parents saw no problems in this. It was all about fun.

I don't know why, I guess if all their friends were girls and their around them all the time that might be a reason.

Genki Chan
05-21-2004, 02:54 PM
I think my reason would just be I find male characters to be more interesting. A lot of times, femal characters from series all strike me as being very much the same- every one can be placed into one of threegeneric 'girl' catagories. Male characters seem to get a lot more development and have radically different personality types. This is just something I see a lot in anime- and I cosplay generally based on how much I like a character.

Kazzi
05-21-2004, 03:08 PM
I crossdress as characters i like. So i might be a girl but i get on better with boys and i dont feel like wearing skirts and putting make up on all the times. Boys seem more laid back and it makes you feel more powerfull dressing up like one.

Nine
05-22-2004, 02:15 AM
You make good points. I should change my statement. I don't dispise the term crossplay, I dispise being called a crossplayer. I just don't like being labeled something that I'm not. A lot of people look at me when I dress as Inuyasha, or Minase (for example), an say I'm cosplaying - but when they see me dressed as Lulu or Felicia, I'm all of the sudden "crossplaying." That's what I hate. A lot of people view me like I want to be a girl. It's all cosplay, yes, but because of the crossplay term, I'm labeled as something I'm not, and don't want to be. Being gay doesn't help them see straight either. ;_;

Maranix
05-22-2004, 07:14 AM
Well, I`m a guy that is heavily into crossdressing, and I like to cosplay. So it was quite a natural step for me to start crossplaying :D .

Merle-kun
05-23-2004, 07:28 AM
I honestly wish I went to your school, or that mine had the opposite gender day too. Though back then I doubt I'd have been as brave as I am now.

I too grew up watching girly cartoons and playing with Barbies. My family lived in the middle of no where, so there were no other children to play with... thus my sister and I used to take turns with whos toys we played with. Part of the time we played with my He-Man and GI Joes... mainly I liked He-man though, didn't have many GIs, and the other time was taken up by us playing with her Barbies in their doll house.

An odd addition to that little story, my sister ended up being a tomboy, helping dad fix the truck and such... and I ended up inside with mom cleaning, cooking, and being artsy. LOL =3

YaoiTenshi
05-23-2004, 05:15 PM
Well how it started for me was just since alot of my fav. charaters were boys and I am into Yaoi ^ ^;
I think its great to larn what it can be like to dress as a guy sometimes and I understand guys dressing as girls (And I think its cute)
We all have just diffrent things we like and people shouldnt judge that sometimes
I mean some of my friends thought I was weird when I said it is fun to crossplay as a guy. But I mean I was curious and It was so much fun! ^ ^

Viko Arts
05-24-2004, 06:07 PM
I personally think it more of a challenge to do a costume if you're lacking the particular needed gender.

It's easier to be Chii if you have breasts, but what if you have to make them? It's easier to cosplay any male character if you have a flat chest, but what if you have to wear a super flattening corset to get the right look (ex. I'm a D)? I think it's ten times more creative and interesting that way.

~Steel RK9~
05-25-2004, 03:29 PM
Honestly, I never really thought crossplaying any different than cosplaying. It doesn't matter if the character you like is the opposite gender...if you like him/her enough, go for it. Personally I think it's fun to pretend to be the opposite gender for a day. :D

Sixshot
05-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Yes and no, crossdressing alone wouldn't make you understanding, there are people out there who are jerks to women and/or do not understand them at all despite being a closet crossdresser. However, if you really get into it then it CAN help but I don't think it could possibly be a substitute for female interaction which will provide a better understanding fo women. As for me, yes I think it did provide some understanding (amongst other things, why it takes women so long to get ready and to some extent a greater desire for clothes shopping) but interacting with women is more benificial.

HyperrrMouse
05-29-2004, 02:16 AM
I never thought about it when i did my first crossplay, Irvine from FF8. I still don't, really. I'm still like, "I LOVE THAT CHARACTER I LOVE THAT OUTFIT!" and "bing" there ya go. Though I admit, now that I know I have to help my boyfriend with costumes, often I find an awesome character, and i know i don't have time to make a costume for myself, so I make it for him. When I recently crossplayed I was excited to be doing it again, but when i saw the costume, while searching through images, I knew I had to make it, regardless of gender.
I think i crossplay because I can. Okay, simplified, but really, nothing is holding me back, I love the character, I love the costume, I'll make the costume and wear it and love it. ^_^

Rethul
05-29-2004, 09:56 AM
There are two phrases that make me want to cosplay a character:
1) "That character's the coolest!" (Examples: Ed from Full Metal Alchemist, The Immortals from Jet Set Radio Future)
2) "That outfit is awesome!" (Example: Subaru from .hack//sign, Anything EGL)
If while looking at pictures or watching and anime or even playing a game I find myself screaming one of those phrases either in my head or outloud then I write it down somewhere. If some of those character's happen to be girls, so be it.

Eleryth
05-29-2004, 11:06 AM
I like the costume, I make the costume (if I have time, that is!). Doesn't matter to me if it's a male or female.

Although, now that I think about it, the design on many of the male costumes I like tend to be not very masculine - more "bishounen" and beautiful, actually. They're not very "manly" characters, and if I so wanted, most could be easily changed to be females with a minimum amount of alteration. For example, most of the ones I like tend to be from Kim Hyung-Tae's artwork (War of Genesis, Magna carta- such as Carlos Tailune in Hyper's sig; the new Calintz, and more). They're almost too girly to make a guy costume them...

Eleryth
06-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Double Post. My bad, but I honestly didn't want to get in trouble for putting this as a new thread, in case it's too off-topic.

I thought this article would be of interest to the people in this forum. It's about the "Center Guys" in Shibuya, Tokyo, who emulate the makeup, hair, and style of girls. Article can be found here: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?fd20040606tc.htm#2
It's from the Japan Times, published Monday, June 7th. Admittedly, it's not a large section of the population, but it is there.

The article includes comments such as, "Life for men is a real drag. We don't get to put on makeup or dress up fancy," and "Before, when I dressed up in ordinary gear, nobody spoke to me. But when I walk down the street dressed up this way, it's easy to make friends."

So, are these also the basic elements that prompt males to "crossplay"? It sounds a little bit similar, based on some of the responses from this MB.

raiga
06-09-2004, 01:14 AM
well, i think cosplaying is another outlet. Its a way to oexpress creativity and also sewign skills, lol. but crossplaying, as far as that goes, its just something that is fun and i enjoy doing. I think that for you, yes it could have had somethign to do with how you were brought up and becuas eof your respect for women. In fact in some pagan religions men would often dress up as women to gain an understanding of them, nifty eh? but as for me, im an attention whore and its just much more comfy.

Kuri-chan
06-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Eleryth- Interesting article and I think we can fairly say it’s on topic for this thread, even if it isn’t exactly about cross-costuming, and is closer to cross-dressing and transgender phenomenon.

But then, the whole point of this thread is to ask about why we crossplay, which can deal directly with cross-dressing and transgender issues. As always, your mileage most likely will vary.

This article seems to deals with two major points while trying to figure “why” these men are emulating the feminine style of dress. The first idea suggests somewhat of a transgender issue, but even more of a fashion and expression liberation.

"We don't get to put on makeup or dress-up fancy. If I could be born again, I'd want to be a girl, and work in a dress shop."

His interest in being a girl is from the idea of being able to dress up, be recognized for his expression of beauty, and fit in with a crowd that shares his interests. This is something I personally relate to very closely, and is a key point in my arguments that two recognized sociological genders just aren’t enough. :)

His next point reinforces this.

"Before, when I dressed up in ordinary gear, nobody spoke to me. But when I walk down the street dressed up this way, it's easy to make friends. It's fun.”

It’s more of a social phenomenon than anything else; the style of dress works both as an outward expression of internal feelings / emotions / sense of self, as well as a sort of “I’m here, notice me” sign for a near invisible minority; not a cry for help or plea attention, but a social invitation to greet others with the same interests and feelings. A feeling of belonging is a basic human need that we all have sought out, even here in the forums.

Really, it’s no different from a jock wearing a football jersey off the field. “Here I am, I want to be recognized for who I am, to find people who enjoy what I enjoy and understand the way I feel, and to be a part of something bigger than myself; a team.”

He says himself that this is a way to find the people he wants to know, and be known by.

“You know, the only way to get girls' attention is to imitate them."

Imitation is, after all, the highest form of flattery.

Even the reporter makes a note of this:

“That, then explains it: since the yamamba girls approve of this male concession to their own outrageous garb, it's natural for similarly attired kids to strike up friendships.”

Gee, that statement hits right home now, doesn’t it? Don’t you think it’s been easy to become friends with fellow cosplayers, because of our common interests? Perhaps that’s one of the many keys we’re looking for to help unlock this mystery of “why” beyond “I like the costume.”

Why are these “Center-Guys” dressing up like this? They like the costume. They like the people who wear the costumes. They have found a way to express a part of themselves that the society they live in has shut them off from in conventional means. They emulate the people they want to be social with, and fit in with, and sociologically be a part of.

Why do we crossplayers dress up like this? We like the costumes. We like the people who wear the costumes. We have found a way to express a part of ourselves that society has shut us of from within conventional means. Sound familiar?

Anyway, that’s my two yen on the article, and how we can relate it to our own experiences and circumstances. Like all good theories, your mileage can and will vary.

Veering slightly off topic, I would love to learn more about this Center Guy phenomenon. It’s a pity the article didn’t include any pictures! Since I’ve never heard about this style of dress before, I would love to learn more. Who knows? It could be the next inspired fashion trend along the lines of Gothic Lolita to be found among our eclectic crowd. :)

-Kuri

raiga
06-09-2004, 01:39 PM
wow, i think kuri hit the nail on the head with that. its very very true.

cmdavis
07-26-2004, 10:28 PM
Hmm.... I find all of the threads relating to the mystery of why people crossplay very interesting. I agree that every individual has their own reason for "crossdressed cosplaying" aka "Crossplaying", however I have my own opinion. I may be wrong in speculating this opinion, but I would venture that a majority of male to female crossplayers are actually crossdressers or people who identify themselves as transgendered, also known as gender dysphoric in the medical community.

So what makes me feel like I can speak as an authority on this subject? I am a crossdresser who happens to be straight and has no intention or desire to live full time as a woman. In fact the reason that I found cosplay.com in the first place is because I was surfing the web and found an article on EGL and you know how it is once you start clicking on links, you never know where you are going to end up! Once here, I discovered crossplay. I admit that I do not know much about anime (would you consider "Speed Racer" anime?) but I am learning.

Why am I interested? Because I feel that Crossplay would be an outlet for my desire to crossdress. I would love to go to a con dressed in an EGL costume, and hopefully will sooner or later. I feel that anyone that is involved in cosplay that looks down on another for crossplaying is being hypocritical. Afterall, is it "normal" behavior to wear a costume emulating a cartoon character? A lot of people in this world would not think so. I believe that there is a fine line between cosplay and crossplay if you are looking at the big picture.

As a person that has been on this planet almost 40 years, I some advice for those of you who consider yourself crossdressers but afraid to go out dressed "merely" as a woman and limit yourselves to cosplay. It can be a lot of fun with the right group of people. I lived in Louisville, Kentucky some years ago and belonged to a TG group called "BGB" We had a lot of fun together and had monthly meetings where we would discuss issues that were important to us, then about 15 of us would go out to dinner at a restaurant. We would go to such places as Chilis, O'charley's, and TGI Fridays and have a good time. The waitstaff treated us great and we got our share of stares from "normal people", but there is strength in numbers. Who in their right mind is going to mess with 15 guys in dresses, some of which have boies of linebackers!

Of course, just like in the cosplay community, in the TG community there are different factions. The crossdressers have a problem with the transexuals because of their raging hormones, and the transexuals think the crossdressers are in denial of their true feelings and make comments like "Whats the difference between a crossdresser and a transexual? about 5 years!"

I am sure that I have strayed off topic, but wanted to express my opinion. I do have one thing to add though....

If you crossplay and feel that you would like to try going out in girl mode while not emulating a particular character, look up a transgender group in your area. A good place to look is www.Tgforum.com. There is a nationwide listing of groups. You will meet some interesting people whom you have other things in common with not related to crossdressing. We used to hang out in guy mode quite a bit doing things totally unrelated to crossdressing.

** Jase, look up a group in D.C., I know there is a group there, but can't remember the name. Don't be suprised if you recruit some troops for the Crossplay Army

** Lostboy, look up the "Tennessee Vals", They are a lot of fun to party with. They are in Nashville.

I have roadtripped from Louisville to Nashville a couple of times, and to Indianapolis once while totally dressed as a woman and had a lot of fun. Don't be afraid of what is outside of your comfort zone, it is a fun world out there.

I think I have said enough,

Thats all from my desert outpost in "The biggest little city in the world"

If you want to see what I look like go to my profile

http://forums.cosplay.com/member.php?u=12282

Dai
07-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Well... if you want to cosplay as a chara, you want to cosplay as them, that's all there should be to it. Whether they're male or female shouldn't matter. I'm actually going to enjoy trying to make myself look like a guy when I cosplay as Alucard.

On the subject of the term "crossplay"... I find it easier to call it all "cosplay," but I switch back and forth between which term I use, actually.

animeBecky21
07-28-2004, 02:30 AM
Because when I'm in the shower and the hot water runs out, I'm still a boy - just wet and freezing cold. Anyone know where to find that spring in China anyways??? I think I could get used to turning the hot off for a few seconds after every shower.

lol...

But seriously.. it's more fun and interesting to make myself up and have an actual choice of nice things to wear besides jeans and a T-shirt or flannel button down of some sort, wear my hair in a different way (or even color), and when the attention I get is good attention, it's a lot more fun than melting into the wall as a guy. It helps a bit that some people think I resemble Leann Rimes when I am made up, too. I wonder if that counts as a cosplay? I've been in a few pageants and when they tell you for creative categories to 'chose your favorite movie star' I was her for one and for another one I was Cher from 'Clueless' - although mostly because quite by accident I had an outfit that was nearly identical to one of hers in the film. (I wish they'd be more creative with the creative category - it defeats the purpose of a drag pageant if I dress up as John Wayne!!)

Which is another thing, I never went to a high school dance, prom or anything, now I have enough gowns for about a dozen thanks to those things. And I can wait until after the season to buy them - I have about $500 worth between three gowns that I paid about $60 total for them, don't think I have spent more than $40 on any gown (Some guys hunt wildlife; I hunt the clearance rack in juniors..). Have won that category a couple times... they're usually a popularity contest more than anything, but if I really wanted to apply myself I could probably put together a winning show, so long as the judging was fair. (but who wants that responsibility? lol)

ChristineBunny
07-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Maybe people cross play, because they want to be somthing there not?, and Female Heroins and Characters stand out -males-, more then male hero/characters stand out to males? wich is the intent of the medias Design? just a passing thought. -Bunny

Reno69
07-28-2004, 07:46 PM
I believe the reason I'm more interested in pertraying guys rather than girls is because I alway seemed to look up to my bro as an idol or mentor. Growing up, I would always look up to him and want to be like him, I guess. Than when I finally got to the age that I'm allowed to think for myself, I started wearing his hand-me-down clothes. I pretty much ended up a tomboy because of him. And because of my tomboyishness, I assume that once I got an interest in cosplaying, I would automatically pick a guy to be.

I wouldn't feel comfortable cosplaying a girl since I've always worn men's clothing. Dressing as a girl for me is like walking out in the nude. Gotta be a guy. Just not to the extent that I'll wake up with a penis. Don't go to the hospital unless I have to. XD

And also, I have more in common with guys than girls. =P

Explicit Lyrics
07-28-2004, 07:59 PM
i think it makes us feel more as the character and not as ourselves, i dont know just my opinion, for example when i was diesuke from dir en grey i was alot more him than myself..well we are similar to begin with but meh you know what i am trying to say. Its all for fun anyway .

And besides if i care for a jrock man so much that dressing how he does is a desire of mine i dont see the difference between male and female , i just cant let that bother me. Its so stupid to be restrained that way.

ChristineBunny
07-28-2004, 08:52 PM
This is a little chat i had with Becky, in reguard to this thread, and spassificly TG MtF issues. Tell me if you relate, voice your opinion, offer new insight. but please be open minded :)

ChristineBunny: Hi!

animeBecky21: Well hello there! :)

ChristineBunny: In reguard to your post: [#65 in "A Theory to why we crossplay?"] I fallow the Ranma refferance, but there after, it gets into pageants, hair styles, movie stars, and how convinceing you are, but it doesnt really say why you do it or why you dont?

animeBecky21: oh... hmm.. sometimes I am terribly cryptic.. I'm just saying, I crossplay because I'm not a girl,, sort of the smarty pants answer.

ChristineBunny: *nods* i was thinking of posting simply, that Maybe people cross play, because they want to be somthing there not?, and Female Heroins and Characters stand out to -males-, more then male hero/characters stand out to males? wich is the intent of the medias Design?

animeBecky21: That sounds like what some other people have said, too

ChristineBunny: ok i think i'll post it. *^w^*

animeBecky21: makes sense to me though, if you're going to be something, be something you can't necessarily be everyday

ChristineBunny: yeah this big "Why" thing doesnt have to be so bloody complicated!
and it only is, because the big wigs are trying to asscociate cross play with only transgendered people.

animeBecky21: well, it certainly draws in the TG crowd, but someone doesn't have to be to dress up.

ChristineBunny: i think it gives the TG crowd a good excuse. wich is better then there real excuse, wich most of them are still trying to solidly explain i think.

animeBecky21: oh?

ChristineBunny: well, you cant just say, "I want to be a girl" without being asked "Why?"

animeBecky21: true

ChristineBunny: there for, TG people have a tough time explaining themselves, and benifit from convienant -in the moment- excuses, like a costume con :)

animeBecky21: they ask me, 'you're a guy.. and you like girls.. so why do you (dress up)' ?
that always confuses people.. which is kind of fun in itself

ChristineBunny: it's unfortunate the world and scociety cant just accept "Because i want to be." without presumeing a lot of mental problems and fear and such.

animeBecky21: thats about how I answer them though, I just say it's more fun to be pretty

ChristineBunny: yeah but then they get into the whole social thing, and communitys influence on people, and blah blah.

if guys in this scociety, wore all the makeup and pretty clothes. and girls didnt. would you still want to be a girl?

If so, then it's not a socal thing.

animeBecky21: well it never started as a social thing... it just feels right, feels more comfortable to me. So I probably would still want to be

ChristineBunny: well then, there it is, for you, it's not about the makeup, or dress, wich is still great ofcourse, but not the issue, the issue is more physical, and in relation to your preception of self.

animeBecky21: well that line about being "a lesbian trapped in a man's body" gets used a lot too

ChristineBunny: *smerks* i've heard that 1 befor from alot of my friends. :)

ChristineBunny: The crule world would tell you, too bad, thats nature, who you are, you cant change it, but man has defyed nature and god for all his/her existance.

ChristineBunny: since the apple, we have saught to change ourselves.

animeBecky21: well, $40-50 grand in plastic surgery has a pretty good effect on nature too.

ChristineBunny: yes yes, just talking the morality and preception of this issue. bill gates has quite abit more then $50 grand, and he's not become a woman. so money isnt the driveing "why" here.

ChristineBunny: I think the question of why, just comes down to choice. with choice comes responcibility, and in todays world, 1 of thoughs many responcibilitys include, bearing the weight of the majoritys confusion fear and distain, for your choice.

"I'm female because i want to be.",

"I'm Female, with some physical handycaps.",

"I'm Female, and i know that it's a 1 way operation, frightning, can be painful, and that people may dislike me for it, but i'm ready for that responcibility, because Being female is what i want. it is part of who i am ",

"Short tall, plump slim, Skirts or Combat boots, I'm female inside, because it's my choice. and i'm ready to have my body, reflect that choice. for -me-, i'm not doing this for anybody else. "

animeBecky21: well thats what it comes down to.. its who I am.. but I have seen people who've done the op and it seems like they spend all the money on the part you're only going to see when you get intimate... if I do it I'd start with the facial work, the chest, lipo and maybe those butt implants before I did the big one. if I ever did the big one.

ChristineBunny: i think there are alot of frightened people who cant deal with the power of choice, or the knowledge that choice -is- a powerful thing, there for they would try to strip others of the choices they themselvers would not make. so that such choices couldnt hurt or effect there boxed in little world.

ChristineBunny: reguarding the Op, i would emagion it allways helps, socially, to start at electrolisis. then pretty much work your way down?

animeBecky21: that too

ChristineBunny: hay, would you mind me shareing this log with the cos-play crew on that forum? I think this might have been very informitive and useful

animeBecky21: hmm.. I don't see why not.. heh

ChristineBunny: Okie-Dokie TY :heart: *^u^*

ChristineBunny
07-28-2004, 09:10 PM
*Adds* I think it's unfortunate, that this world full of people, tends to look for a dirty sensationalised answer to "why", As evedent in media and tabloids.

People can't accept the answer:
"because I want to. It's -My- choice."
because there too busy looking to hear:
"Because it gives me a erotic sexual satisfaction!"

Thrill seakers dont make the best listeners. >.<

cmdavis
07-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Christinebunny,
I agree wholeheartedly with your addition to the chat post. As long as someone is doing something that is not causing harm to another then they should be left to do whatever it is that they do. You had interesting questions for Becky. These questions are hard to answer sometimes because some of us that crossdress don't understand why we do. Personaly I would never think of altering my body for the sake of crossdressing. Part of the fun is the illusion.

Kirin-Riki
07-28-2004, 09:17 PM
wow. thx guys! :) but i figure i will never get out of this dilemna... i will always be stuck in a place i do not want to be. and it will NEVER i repeat NEVER change for me... all is a lost cause (dont think im gonna commit suicide or anything) but i feel sometimes i might as well give up. nobody in my family will accept the fact that i just happen to like dresses and pink and long hair. if the world accepts it GFT :)
i might tell them next week. wish me luck! *and if i end out on the streets or dead, pray for me even if you're not christian. i would prefer the streets and being free to do this than to live captured and a slave (dont think im stupid)*

cmdavis
07-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Kirin,
Being a teenager is hard enough without having TG issues to deal with!! I can't advise you how to deal with your parents, but I will say this. Take advantage of being at home and stay in school. If you really feel you must get out of the house, then investigate the program you have up in Canada where the government will help you if you emancipate AND stay in school. Don't wing it, make a plan whatever you do.

Kirin-Riki
07-28-2004, 10:06 PM
But theres one problem with the school thing... you see, i homeschool.

cmdavis
07-28-2004, 10:25 PM
can you emancipate and enroll in college? If i remember right the program your government has the minimum age is 15 as long as you have a job they will help you get a place to live, then you could explore your other side more

Kirin-Riki
07-28-2004, 10:29 PM
I see.
now how do i go about doing this?

die-sama
07-29-2004, 12:21 AM
hnn i dont feel like reading through the thread cuz i'm lazy but the reason why i crossplay is simply because I've been a tomboy my entire life, i just make a better guy than a girl, i look really rediculous in dresses or trying to be all "bishojo" and sh*t >,>
ehhh
thats just me
argh matey >,>;

Kokuu
07-29-2004, 12:27 AM
I’ve been acting for most of my life, and in the world of drama, guys are a rarity. So what do you do when you have an excessive amount of females and not enough roles? Cast ‘em as male characters. In my acting career of 12 years, I’ve played more male characters then female ones, as I’m tall, I’m bigger (aka, not suited to play the female lead) and I have a deeper then normal female voice. It bothered me at first, since I wanted to get to wear the pretty dresses, instead of the boring suits and facial hair. But after some time, I began to find it really fun, to the point I really like portraying male characters on stage (especially in Shakespeare plays)

So when I discovered the world of cosplay naturally I would be drawn to potray male characters as well as female. It’s fun to get to step into someone else shoes. And of course, it’s always fun when someone mistakes you for being a guy; I’ve had that happen a couple of times. >.< But the great thing about crossplay is at the end of the day, I am still myself. It’s just a temporary façade. In real life, I am such a girly girl; I didn’t wear pants until I was 11, and today I wear skirts at least 2-3 times a week. I wouldn’t want to be a guy, but sometimes it’s fun just to pretend. >.<

Kirin-Riki
07-29-2004, 02:39 PM
kind of like about 300 years ago. when they were doing plays etc. women were not allowed to act so they got men to do all of the parts.
the exceptions were operas.

Satsujin
08-16-2004, 05:05 PM
I crossplay because a) I don't like the girls' costumes. Many times they show way to much skin. b) The boys have cooler clothes. c) girls' personalities are dumb.

wulfmune
08-16-2004, 05:44 PM
i agree with all of satsujin's reasons completely. most of the anime/manga/games i like the female characters are secondary/romantic interests who aren't quite as cool as the main male characters. thus i'd rather be the hero than the maiden in distress. ^_~

Miyabi-
08-17-2004, 10:08 AM
I've never gave this much thought because all my previous characters have been girls but for Sugoicon I'm going to do Inuyasha. Why? I just like the character....I identify with him. (we're both loudmouths who speak before they think ~_^) and I think I can pull it off well as long as I keep my mouth shut...LOL (I have a *very* girly voice)
It's all about the love for the character! ^_^

Grav
08-17-2004, 08:54 PM
hmm why I crossplay...because I have a group of yaoi/bishie fangirls for friends who have been asking me for over a year to put on a dress. I've given in so I'm sure they are collaboratting for this costume. They've also convinced me to wear tight leather shirts, make up, hairspray, and are putting me in tight leather pants next year.

Cosplay in general is a lot of fun, though oddly enough I get more photos when I'm out of costume...aka otakon 2003 when they stole my pants and wouldn't give them back until after the yaoi panel. So much for my tiki boxers being lucky.

LadyYunalesca
08-17-2004, 10:03 PM
this year will be my first cosplay/crossplay ever and the only reason im crossplaying is b/c my group is doing DBZ and Trunks is my fav character(he's awesome) so thats what im dressing as

Shackled_Suzaku
08-22-2004, 05:29 AM
heh well my reasons for crossplaying, though at the time i hadn't realised it, were actually because i wished to be a girl. good enough reason i suppose. At the time, it seemed i just liked the char's, which was true enough, and I believed that. shortly thereafter, it became clear to me, i didn't just like those char's... i wanted to be them, or at least like them.

at this point i've decided to go for the change, and am on my merry way along. It's a long road, and i've only barely started, but weee, looks exciting o.-.

Don't really worry much about the WHY to crossplaying. if it's just fun of some sort, let it be that, without stressing. If there's more to it, I.E. you're a crossdresser, you're gay, or even a transsexual, you'll come to those conclusions eventually, and for other, more telling reasons.

finally, if anyone does decide they might have some deeper issues, feel free to PM me, and i'll give you my AIM, MSN, or yahoo screenname. I'm only 19, and have just recently gone through these feelings myself, and if i can, i'd like to help others sort them. heck, ya might even help me out a bit, there's noone around here my age to talk to ; ;. if i'm slow to respond to any PM's, sorry, but i'm posting this under a new SN cuz there's some people on the boards i haven't come out to.

Satsujin
09-01-2004, 12:09 PM
for Sugoicon I'm going to do Inuyasha.

For AnimeNext I was human Inuyasha.

kaliko_rosa
09-01-2004, 12:40 PM
this year will be my first cosplay/crossplay ever and the only reason im crossplaying is b/c my group is doing DBZ and Trunks is my fav character(he's awesome) so thats what im dressing as

Yunalesca,

when or where are you doing a DBZ cosplay group? I think that's great! My b/f and I went as Saiyaman #1 and Saiyaman #2 just a few days ago at a con... but there were no DBZ cosplayers :(. We're wearing them again at Anime Expo 2005, if by chance your group is there. I like doing Videl cosplays :D.

As for crossplay, I haven't done any yet, but I do plan to go as Shin/Supreme Kai from DBZ and also Sheik from Zelda. The reason I'm going as them is because I like their designs, and my b/f will be dressing as Tapion so I needed an elf to match, and also as Link, and I didn't feel like going as Zelda or Malin etc. Sheik's design was cooler ^_^

But before I met my b/f, all I wanted to do was crossplay :D. I wanted to go as Kenshin, Van, Kouga and others. As lead characters, they were more developed than the females and had such cool personalities. But now I usually do the female partner character, but I have no problem with that. Seeing my boyfriend cosplay my favourite male characters of all time (I met him while he was cosplaying Van ^^) is much better than seeing myself crossplaying :D (besides, I can borrow his costumes whenever I want, hehe!)

yummivix
09-01-2004, 03:38 PM
I haven't ever crossplayed, but if I did, I would make it look feminine/sexy.

Nightfire
09-01-2004, 08:31 PM
I guess my personal reason(s) for crossplaying come from the fact that I've been raised around pretty much nothing but girls for my entire life, so I feel more comfortable around them. It's also pretty fun to see people's reactions sometimes, plus, girls clothes are so much prettier than guys clothes ^_^

Crazy Neko CJ
09-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Because, it's just the way I am. I prefer to wear guy clothes than girl clothes, because girl clothes are just too tight. I act more like a guy anyway, since I'm usually the one talking about the latest video games with my friends. Anyway, I don't mind crossplaying much, all I know all I'm just cosplaying as a character I REALLY like.

I'm scared of the girls in my town. They aren't really into video games, just music and stuff like that. Or even anime and cosplaying. But I'm still friends with those who are. Most of my friends happen to be guys, too.

Czygany
09-02-2004, 08:30 PM
...because gender lines are fun to blur *mgrin*...

x-Sarutobi-x
09-10-2004, 10:39 PM
i feel more comfortable crossplaying because i hate dressing in skimpy outfits and most of the guys are better and their costumes are more fun to make.

william22378
09-13-2004, 08:55 AM
QUOTE=ChristineBunny]Maybe people cross play, because they want to be somthing there not?, and Female Heroins and Characters stand out -males-, more then male hero/characters stand out to males? wich is the intent of the medias Design? just a passing thought. -Bunny[/QUOTE]

I cosplay female characters because I don't like most some of the male characters, and I only like to cosplay characters I like to be. :bigtu:

Yunalesca
09-13-2004, 12:42 PM
Because I think hte sexes are equal. Different in aspects, but equal.

Plua, it's easier. The men have better pant, nicer colors and designs, cooler outfits for those summer cons Don't have to mess with your hair. Besides, I look like a bad crossplay when I do some female characters since my shoulder stand out.

Igniz
09-16-2004, 06:57 AM
QUOTE=ChristineBunny]Maybe people cross play, because they want to be somthing there not?, and Female Heroins and Characters stand out -males-, more then male hero/characters stand out to males? wich is the intent of the medias Design? just a passing thought. -Bunny

I cosplay female characters because I don't like most some of the male characters, and I only like to cosplay characters I like to be. :bigtu:[/QUOTE]

Me too
I like to cosplay characters I like to be

For me it's the male characters 'cause I'm female :jjacks:

Cosplay or crossplay it's for fun :bigtu: :bigtu:

wulfmune
09-16-2004, 07:13 AM
i'm thinking that alot of female characters were designed to be more appealing to men and vice versa, so in that respect if we all dressed as our favorite characters, i'm surprised there's not more crossplaying xD

Ruri
09-16-2004, 07:33 AM
i feel more comfortable crossplaying because i hate dressing in skimpy outfits and most of the guys are better and their costumes are more fun to make.
I agree with you!
I want to crossplay as Cloud and Vincent rom FFVII. Their outfits looks really good :)

Shinigami_Mimi
09-16-2004, 07:45 AM
I agree with that theory too! XD Lol. Well, crossplay does seem to be growing. ^^ Lol. Which is a good sign. As for me I crossplayed once so far, but have made it like the main cosplays I do now. XD Lol. Go crossplay!

ZakuKitty
09-16-2004, 08:24 AM
I crossplay because I like the male outfits and characters better. Plus I am not into the skimpy little things that most of the girls wear....though I am kind of contradicting that by cosplaying as Albel who dresses in a rather unmanly outfit....eh..I just like the guy characters better. ^^;;

Sailor Stars
09-20-2004, 01:31 PM
QUOTE=ChristineBunny]Maybe people cross play, because they want to be somthing there not?, and Female Heroins and Characters stand out -males-, more then male hero/characters stand out to males? wich is the intent of the medias Design? just a passing thought. -Bunny[/QUOTE]

I cosplay female characters because I don't like most some of the male characters, and I only like to cosplay characters I like to be.
but I hope to one day to make male hero/characters costume.