PDA

View Full Version : BayCon 2003

Michi
10-21-2002, 03:48 PM
I think there's another thread for it but I dun feel like looking for it. ^_^;

ANYWAY.

Has anyone here been to BayCon? I want to go, but.. I need to know how their masquerade works, and stuff. I have a performance idea from a musical called Into the Woods that I'd really like to do.. with pretty fantasy costumes.. but.. yeah. o.o I have no idea if it'd be anything like I'm familiar with (aka anime cons).

Anyone? :thumbsup:

KelBebop
10-21-2002, 03:57 PM
Michi,

I've done BayCon masquerade for the past several years. It is very informal and relaxed. I've seen everything from historical reproductions to fantasy/SF and even a few anime costumes in the BayCon masquerade. Best of all, the time commitment is very small, and you can watch all the entries after you perform.

From what you have briefly described, it sounds like your presentation idea would fit right in at BayCon!

Anyway, I think I have generally answered your question, but if you have more specific questions, please feel free to PM me! :)

All good things,
Kel

Cassandra
10-21-2002, 04:20 PM
I just want to add that Into The Woods is awesome :D Bernadette Peters rocks!

Michi
10-21-2002, 05:06 PM
Ee thankyou! I was looking at your page and I think the idea I want to do will fit in just fine... Now to plan. :3!

Heehee, yes, Into the Woods is quite awesome. I just hope the costumes we make will live up to it..

Cat Scratch
11-05-2002, 07:58 PM
Go for it. Into the Woods would be a really awsome thing to see.
I did Carmila from Vampier Hunter D: Blood Lust and won best Novice so I think you would have a shot esspecialy if you did a really good job with the presentation.

Michi
11-08-2002, 05:27 PM
On the subject of fantasy cons... Are there any others aside from Bay Con in the SF Bay Area or just California in general? o.x;

ZiggyB
11-09-2002, 12:26 AM
There was SiliCon earlier in October.

http://www.siliconventions.org/

Um... there was also ConJose earlier in the year

http://www.conjose.org/

That's the only ones that I know about.

I'm actually really looking forward to next year's BayCon, it's just so different then the other cons that I will be going to next year, and of course it's local.

Good luck in the Masqurade! I'm also planning to debut a costume at BayCon next year and *maybe* enter the masqurade as well. Eeek! :)

Michi
11-09-2002, 06:14 AM
I'll be entering the masquerade if my friend and I get our costumes done.. ^^ Which is totally up in the air right now, considering how far away it is and we can only do it if she moves here in December. o_O

Mmm. I think I'll try out BayCon, and if I like it enough I'll go to the others. Looking at pictures, and the site itself from last year, has gotten me really really excited about it though!

KelBebop
11-12-2002, 02:52 AM
Michi,

LosCon is in SoCal over Thanksgiving weekend every year. I've never been, but I hear it's lots of fun.

I used to have a webpage bookmarked that was a list of all the California sci-fi/fantasy conventions. It was updated regularly too! Unfortunately, I can't find it now. :( I'll look for it, and post it if I find it.

KelBebop
11-12-2002, 02:55 AM
Ah ha! That didn't take long. I found the page! :D

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/7813/CONVENTN.html

Nadeshiko
11-12-2002, 03:17 AM
When exactly is Bay Con?

Into The Woods?! *^^* I *heart* Sodheim! XD You know where to IM me. ^.~

ZiggyB
11-12-2002, 03:22 AM
Oh duh, thought the link was posted. :)

http://www.baycon.org/2003/index.html

Memorial Day Weekend
May 23th - 26th, 2003
San Jose DoubleTree Hotel

Unfortunatly, it's opposite ReccaCon. :(

A J
11-12-2002, 12:31 PM
Ziggy... the avatar just cracks me up... As if that costume wasn't outrageous enough to begin with... :)

I wanna go to Baycon! Dunno what costumes we'll be doing but Tony and I were thinking something from He-Man. Er... the original, just to indicate how old we are... =P

Babbit_Chan
11-12-2002, 01:05 PM
I would go, but Recca Con's around that time next year - maybe '04 for me?

ZiggyB
11-12-2002, 06:09 PM
AJ: Hehe, thanks. It was just such a random picture. :)

Yah I remember you guys talking about He-Man on the trip to Castro. It sounds cool. I doubt people will think you're old since there's a new He-Man series on Cartoon Network now. I haven't seen it myself, so I don't know how different it is from the original.

As for me, I hope to have Bender ready for the masqurade, hell just ready for hall costuming would be fine too. :O

Babbit_Chan: Yah, I was looking forward to Recca Con as well, but I'm already pre-regged for BayCon. Oh well, I guess Recca will be 2004 for me. :)

Michi
11-12-2002, 09:06 PM
For the 24th, I'm planning on going to ReccaCon briefly in the morning if enough friends are going, just to say hi and such, and then spending the rest of the day at BayCon. ^_^

DUDE there was a Star Trek TNG convention a couple of weeks ago and I missed it? Phooey. *bookmarks page* :D

Go to BayCon, AJ! ^____^

Aaaand, yes! We're planning to perform one of my favorite numbers from Into the Woods... I'd like to have a small speaking part before it, but I dunno how long you can go for skits at BayCon..... perhaps I should check the site. :P Whee~

Cat Scratch
11-20-2002, 07:26 PM
There's a con in Jan. called SpookyCon that'll be in San Francisco. It's a Horror fantacy liturature con. Sounded kind of cool so I'm going with a friend of mine don't know much else about it as the web site is pretty vage.