PDA

View Full Version : New to Cosplaying...Need Advice on Pokemon Hoodie

divineflame1
03-01-2011, 08:41 PM
So I've never cosplayed before and my friends finally got to me. lol
I really want to make a Seviper hoodie.
If you've never seen the pokemon: http://pldh.net/media/pokemon/ken_sugimori/update1/336.png
I've seen other people make really good pokemon hoodies...I understand this is my first cosplay, so it's bound to go wrong (lol), but I would love for this one to come out good...
I was hoping I could get some advice...i'm working on a design, but I was looking for advice on pretty much everything...materials to use, ways to do things, how to make/attach the fangs, etc etc.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much. ^-^

CalmeBelladonna
04-05-2011, 09:47 PM
For the fabric I would use fleece, it's really soft and comfy. =u= {That's also what a good bit of people I know that make hoodies use.}
If not, I'm sure you can look around for the fabric that in-store hoddies use.

Then there's always trying to go buy a pre-made hoodie, and just modifying that as you please...

When you go to attach the fangs, I would suggest maybe making them..like flat. Not round and 3D. It just seems easier if you make them flat and you go to attach them, maybe get some practice in before you go to make them 3D? {Unless you already have some practice under your belt. ono;;; }

RainingEri
04-05-2011, 11:13 PM
If this is your first time doing any type of sewing or costuming I would go with the idea of modifying a pre-made hoodie. You could get some thicker fabrics to cut out and sew on the designs.

Narutardpride
06-29-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with Eri - if you've never sewn before, go with a pre-made hoodie. Whenever a cosplay of mine requires a hoodie/t-shirt/anything I can find in a thrift store or Old Navy, I use that. That's probably got more to do with the fact I can't read patterns at all and feel very uncomfortable using them on my own. (Side note: Taking a class to read patterns is a really good idea! I'm trying to get around to it, myself.)

Anyway, if you can't find a plain navy blue hoodie (that's what the color looks like to me), try dyeing it. Remember- the more dye you use, the darker the color, so you may want two packages. I personally recommend the powdered Rit dye, from experience. Also, if you are going to dye, put some salt into the dye- not sure why, but my friend has told me it helps the color stay bright.

Onto the next step- when you're putting on the designs, you can use fabric glue. Seriously, it's amazing and not god awful expensive (but if you're a minor, you need to have an adult with you to buy it. Some places let this slide, some places don't). Use thicker fabrics (felt works well, because you don't have to sew up the edges and leave stitches, but it's thick enough to look decent. It's also really cheap. JUST SAYING.) to create your design, and then take a look at how they would look BEFORE gluing them on. Trust me, it'll save you a lot of pain later, when you realize how it's tilted or something. If you're using fabric glue for this step, you can have the hoodie on someone, as opposed to using a hot glue gun, where if it's anything like mine, it burnnnnnnnssss. Just make sure they keep their eyes and mouth close, just in case.

That's about all I have to say for now. Hope it was helpful :)