PDA

View Full Version : Black canary

daemonicbunnies
03-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Is this a really popular cosplay? I know it's pretty easy to do (comic book one). I have everything for it, but i don't want to get to anime north and just be one of the many walking around dressed as her.

dreamsofnever
03-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Black Canary is popular, but not like Wonder Woman popular. Not sure about Anime North, but I've worn mine to two different conventions. The first year I went to Superman Celebration and did a last minute crappy Black Canary, I did not see another BC. The second year, I was one of three. But that was at a Superman convention, so it brought out a lot of DC fans AND Gail Simone was there, so of course there were a few Black Canaries. Then the next year I wore it to Wizard World Chicago and I was the only one.

So, you might see one or two others, but it's doubtful you'll be one of a crowd of Black Canaries. Not to mention that your variation will probably be different from each other variation out there. I know that the 3 of us Black Canaries all had costumes that differed in certain ways, and it was fun to get a picture with us and the 2 Green Arrows that were there.

And if you love the character and have the means to do a good job with her, I say rock it. I love dressing up as Dinah :)

ovrlnd
03-06-2011, 06:25 PM
I say go for it. I see them every once in a while but not mobs of them.

TheGlitterPill
03-25-2011, 06:48 PM
I don't think you'll see many at Anime North, and even if you do, that just means there are other comics fans around, right? :)

Hell, if you're interested in doing a duo, I may be headed there anyway, and would love an excuse to wear my Lady Blackhawk costume again. (Oy, this poor costume's gonna be worn out by the time I get the next project done!)

Oo_Kitsune_oO
04-11-2011, 12:32 PM
I am hoping to do a Black Canary next month at the UK Comic Con. It will be my first one, so I am a bit nervous about it. Do you all have any suggestions since you seem to have done the character? :confused:

dreamsofnever
04-21-2011, 01:10 PM
I am hoping to do a Black Canary next month at the UK Comic Con. It will be my first one, so I am a bit nervous about it. Do you all have any suggestions since you seem to have done the character? :confused:

Before I ventured out as Black Canary, I checked out pictures of her various poses and facial expressions to get an idea for how to pose while in character. Google image search is one resource, and http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/ is a great place to check out comic book scans. If you just look on the sidebar over there, you can click on the Black Canary/Dinah Lance tag.

Understanding her personality is a good way to get into character, which cuts down on the nervousness involved in venturing out in fishnets and a little leotard :)

It also helps to maybe pick a pose or two beforehand and practice them by looking in a mirror. That way posing comes a little more easily, and since that's what you'll be doing for a good portion of the time you're in costume, that helps a lot.

Good luck and can't wait to see pictures of the finished costume!