PDA

View Full Version : Singing

Nathus Dorkus
03-05-2011, 12:42 PM
I know that plenty of people like to do anime karaoke and the like either for convention events or as skits and the like, so I was wondering how many people here are into singing?

I am a massive doof when it comes to singing. I did a lot of choir stuff as a kid, and so I'm an absolute amateur now with zero training, but I sing like there is no tomorrow. Dorky anime covers, and musical numbers (plus a pop sing here and there.)

I'd love to be able to afford singing lessons some day, but until then I'll just keep on bothering people with my lack of ability - because it is just ridiculous amounts of fun. I wish more people were open with their singing. C:

So here's some of my singing, and I'd love to hear yours!

I have a YouTube channel for my singing: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSingingNathan

And here's a special recording just for you, Coscom members!

http://audioboo.fm/boos/294682-hanaji
(Apologies for quiet vocals, not on my own computer. :B WHICHISWHYISTILLDON'THAVEANAVATAR.)

And some other random recordings:

Keep Fishin' [Weezer] - http://audioboo.fm/boos/197364-keep-fishin

Something There [Beauty And The Beast] - http://audioboo.fm/boos/126954-something-there

One Jump Ahead [Aladdin] - http://audioboo.fm/boos/128090-one-jump-ahead

(I'm a whore for comments. <3)

penny_dreadful
03-05-2011, 01:18 PM
My favorite place to sing is in the car, alone, with all the windows rolled up, where it's easy to convince myself
a) I am the most talented singer in the world, and
b) it's just that no one knows it, because no one ever hears me, because all cars are completely soundproof.

Nathus Dorkus
03-05-2011, 01:21 PM
That is a most cunning plan!

I sing in the bathroom like many people, because damn it the acoustics make you sound awesome.

UsakoLuna
03-05-2011, 01:47 PM
I love to sing. Am I really good? Eh. I can match pitch, and carry a tune. But car rides with my friends tend be giant sing-a-longs :)

StrawberrySiren
03-05-2011, 03:51 PM
If you're in college, you sign up for lessons. You can take private lessons or see if there's a singing class, which I took last semester. Just saying. Sorry if this is no use to you.

I do love singing though. I'm in a band and I do open mics on my own quite frequently. I have a really low sort of contralto voice so I can sing a lot of things.

Nathus Dorkus
03-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I'm not student so not handy for me sadly, but worth posting for anyone interested in singing who is a student. C:

Cadmium Polyphony
03-05-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm surprised she hasnt posted here yet, but my girlfriend is professionally trained.

It's pretty obvious too, when she sings.

rubyspitfire
03-05-2011, 04:28 PM
i don't think i sound all that great, but guitar hero seems to think so!

otherwise i sound like a church choir boy ><

Rainbowgasm
03-05-2011, 04:45 PM
All through elementary I was in the school choir, and we actually won some pretty big competitions... at least, local ones anyways... we won against 20 other choirs in our area, then went on to win out of 6 more that also won their areas... then the next year we got 3rd in our area against only 7 or 8 (small year) but then we pulled 2nd out of 30 at a different show that year...
Then after that, I was on our church's 'Worship Team'- which was the team of 3-4 singers and a band that lead the congregation in worship songs... for a good... 4 years... I also sang solos at holidays like Christmas and Easter...
Right now I'm not doing anything singing wise, but I'd like to get in the studio with my aunt who has a mini-in home studio and see if I can record some demos or something... she works for my great aunt's video editing company, so maybe I can record some stuff for them to use since it would be easier then getting permissions and such to avoid copyright claims...

sam vimes
03-05-2011, 05:00 PM
I love to sing, but a baritone/bass doesn't tend to get much love.

FunnyValentine
03-05-2011, 05:37 PM
I love to sing. I always had trouble singing my real voice because of how shy I was of people judging me, even in my own house. I have to thank my voice teacher I had this fall semester for helping me with my confidence. My singing has improved and I jump on any opportunity to sing.

SecretSoliloquy
03-05-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm surprised she hasnt posted here yet, but my girlfriend is professionally trained.

It's pretty obvious too, when she sings.

=) why, thank you, dear.

Those are cool and somewhat rare! Although if this is strictly about anime karaoke, yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

penny_dreadful
03-06-2011, 05:20 AM
Those are cool and somewhat rare! Although if this is strictly about anime karaoke, yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

Sadly, outside of classical and opera or the occasional fluke popular singer, baritone/bass doesn't get much love anywhere. :(

sam vimes
03-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Sadly, outside of classical and opera or the occasional fluke popular singer, baritone/bass doesn't get much love anywhere. :(

Yeah, most songs tend to favor tenors and women. My kind are usually banished to the background/harmony.

-Nayami-
03-08-2011, 07:38 AM
I love to sing. I have a long commute to work, and nothing passes the time better than singing! Also love going to the noraebang (Korean karaoke rooms) with friends. I also sing for a couple of online cover groups.

PrincessKairiH.
03-09-2011, 12:35 AM
I was in my middle school choir all three years. This is my second and final (since I'm a senior) year in my high school choir. I have performed in our high school renditions of Once Upon A Mattress, Beauty and the Beast, and the Wizard of Oz. I love singing all sorts of music :)

Emiko87
03-09-2011, 01:18 AM
I had half a year of singing lessons a few years ago, even that little bit helped improve my voice a whole ton. I was in the church choir till we switched churches, apart from that I've never sung in public (a few times for friends.) People who've heard me tell me I have a pretty decent voice; my voice teacher told me she thought I had a "true" soprano voice, not the mezzo-soprano which is a bit lower, but I didn't get to take lessons long enough to really develop my higher range, sadly :( I love singing, but I get a bit shy when asked to sing for more than a couple of people lol. I've been thinking about making videos of myself for youtube, but first I have to figure how to make them lol. I don't do karaoke, I sing more in the classical style or folk/country songs rather than pop songs; my voice isn't really suited to pop songs, so I usually sound kind of dumb when I try to sing them :thumbsup:

tsukie
03-09-2011, 01:33 AM
I participated in choir for six years~ from middle school to high school~
Out of those six years, two years in middle school and one year in high school I was singing in jazz choir~
Comments from my friends were mostly, "she cannot stop singing for a second...XD"
And other than in bathroom, I like to sing with my friends during our skype chat~XD
Fighting over the mic every single time!! XDDD

Songs that I like are J-pop, Vocaloid, and anime songs, and some random songs I heard while watching MAD~

Because my voice range is actually amazingly wide.... I usually can sing both in guy's voice and in girl's voice...
It's funny how I was singing first Soprano (highest among girls) in middle school, and then second Alto (lowest among girls), and the last year of high school, I was actually a second Alto/Tenor, and I sang with guys most of the time.
I even got a Tenor solo in jazz choir....XDDDD"

No music/singing, no more life~

Miyabi-
03-09-2011, 06:53 PM
My favorite place to sing is in the car, alone, with all the windows rolled up, where it's easy to convince myself
a) I am the most talented singer in the world, and
b) it's just that no one knows it, because no one ever hears me, because all cars are completely soundproof.

I'm completely with you on this one. I love to sing but sadly I'm not very good at it. There's like..three songs I like that I can sing decently and that's it.
It's ten times worse since I cosplay Elphaba and people always ask me to sing "Defying Gravity" when I wear it to cons. ;_;
I'm usually "Uhh...that comes later in the play! That's future-me! gottagobye!"
*+1 to Flee*
Don't get me wrong..if I'm in the car I have no problems screeching along to that song but trust me..you don't want to hear it.

KamiNeko371
03-10-2011, 02:20 AM
I'm not very good at singing, even though I've done so all my life XD

I was in choir grades 4-12, did musical theater in high school and beyond in community theater, and I guess you could even call me "classically trained," since I know all my music theory. Much like UsakaLuna, I can match pitch and carry a tune, but the nature of my voice just isn't anything special =/ I'm an Alto, which means a lot of Japanese songs sung by females are out of my range XD But I got to do all the fun harmonies and 2nd parts to Verdi and Beethoven and other epically dramatic composers when I was in choir! I love singing in foreign languages, haha XD

Though, I don't do anime karaoke really =/ I do hit my local karaoke dive bar every month or so. Much fun.

Pocketfightr
03-10-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm another car singer. It's very rare when I subject people to my singing. I paid the price for doing so at Naka-kon, when I chose to belt out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7kJRGPgvRQ
all weekend, to my friends. Such a raw throat after that weekend...

On the rare occasion I used to play Singstar with my ex while taking shots of various alcohol. Alcohol makes me sound better, right? :D

Crusader_8
03-14-2011, 04:00 PM
If I have time, I'll put up a downloadable thingie for a song cover. I just gotta figure out how to ut it up here...

Aurora Maryte
03-14-2011, 06:18 PM
I was actually thinking of doing the convention Karoke thing mentioned last page, but I'm not sure how it works or if I'd be able to sing any of the songs they have.
I was- for a very short time, only 2 1/2 years- classically trained in voice and I really love singing. Before that I was in my high school chorale for 3 years and we won some awards I don't really remember the names of.

So, basically my voice is meant for classical and baroque music- I sound like I'm being run over by a tractor trailer when I try to sing pop/rock songs which is sad. Hence my apprehension about doing the Karoke thing. I really want to sing the opera song from FFVI, but doubt there's anything like that that they would have music for.
Anyway, I always wanted to be a singer like professionally, but although my voice quality is fine, for some reason I'm unable to sing loud enough to be an opera singer. Sucks for me. :(
I would link you to recordings, but I have not yet figured out how to record myself(in a quality recording) and post it to Youtube. If anyone does know how I could record myself...I would love you forever!!!

Michi
03-14-2011, 06:44 PM
I've been doing online song dubbing/karaoke/whatever stuff for a few years now. I'm not super active, though, and I certainly don't have my own YouTube channel with my solo covers or anything like most people in the hobby do. I've considered it, but eh!

I did choir a ton in school, and love going to karaoke! Last year my friend and I did FanimeCon's karaoke contest as a duet and ranked something like 7th after making it to the finals. Considering we read off a sheet for our finals performance (haha, we were busy with swap meet...) I was pretty happy!

Crimson_sword
03-15-2011, 09:37 AM
I sang all four years of highschool...and even took some private lessons...but I don't really do much with it now. All I do now is sing along with youtube when no ones home, the radio whenever a favorite song comes on, or to one of my many glee cds....yeah...

supergeekgirl
03-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Oh, golly. Music. I used to do honors choirs across the country and in Canada when I was in middle and high school. A lot of people wanted me to go into vocal performance for my college major. I love love love love love love to sing and took private lessons for most of my childhood, but I didn't want to do it as a career.

Nowadays, I mostly use my voice at church as an assisting minister and in the choir. Sometimes I really want to do musical theatre again, but I haven't found enough time to do that with everything else I'm involved in.

I was trained classically as a mezzo-soprano, but I've actually got a nice low voice for rock. I wrote a few songs and was in a band for a while in high school (wasn't everyone?). I started writing songs again recently but of the more folky/filky variety (one called "My Little Harlequin" about Harley Quinn and another called "The World Moved On" about Stephen King's The Dark Tower which I am currently working on).

When I do con karaoke, I usually pick either "Hateshinaku Tooi Sora Ni" from Kyou Kara Maou! (which is in my rock range) or "Snake Eater" (in my soprano range).

Celia Rose
03-15-2011, 11:25 AM
I really like to sing. :'D

But I'm not so good at it. "Orz

I took choir classes in sixth grade, but after that I had to pick between art studies or music, and I picked art because of my (then-blossoming) interest in learning how to draw manga. I regret it now, because I'm pretty sure that when I sing I'm doing it wrong 95% of the time. :rolleyes: I'll probably take vocal lessons once con season calms down, though I don't know how much good it'll do me by this point. :thumbsup:

I'm at least happy I can maintain the pitch and tune of my favorite Macross songs. :)

BeckyDR
03-17-2011, 10:13 AM
I like singing, and my Russia has actually sang a song on Youtube for the Baltics. Here it is in case you want to hear it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXHhPxFKofs

DireKitty
03-17-2011, 10:29 AM
I sing around my pets... they seem to get a kick out of people singing.

Nathus Dorkus
03-17-2011, 11:16 AM
My cat Lemon is somewhat the opposite. When I start singing, he starts obsessively getting all up in my face. >:I

StrawberrySiren
03-18-2011, 04:43 AM
*shameless plug*

Yup. Open mics. I also started a band. We have a song about fencing. :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/FancyFancyName?feature=mhum

x-Steffi-x
03-18-2011, 06:08 AM
I suck at singing, I can admit that. But if no-ones about then I probably will, or sing with friends - at least then my voice is covered up and dosn't sound so horrible.
The only time my voice was ever useful in singing was choir in infant/junior school. That's it xD

DireKitty
03-18-2011, 09:08 AM
My cat Lemon is somewhat the opposite. When I start singing, he starts obsessively getting all up in my face. >:I

That's because he likes it, he's attracted to the sound. Mine will paw at me and sometimes chatter. My dog will squeak her toy at me and then snuggle next to me and nudge me with her nose.

Zerofox Kitsune
03-18-2011, 09:58 AM

Bass/baritone voices are pretty cool if you ask me. It's unfortunate they're underused.

Yukikittie
03-18-2011, 01:59 PM
I love to sing but I am so shitty at it.
There is like, one or two covers of songs in my youtube channel. Which is in my siggy.
Ifeellikesuchanattentionwhore.

Axelai
03-18-2011, 02:12 PM
I have a few... interesting snippets to share.

Spain's Character Song. (http://vocaroo.com/?media=vPHDJF2OLaSeRay6s) I tried to sing it in my man voice. It didn't work out right. I just sound like a manly woman, or an effeminate man XD;; Oops.

Then after my friend pointed out I had no emotion in my voice, I rerecorded it (http://vocaroo.com/?media=vsnSP0K5D8s8XQUPk) in my normal singing voice. She said it sounds much better this way. Whoo! Except, you know, my normal singing voice sounds exactly the same as my man voice. Ah shit XD

Then, I did America's character song (http://vocaroo.com/?media=vhjUK5txCDwRz1yfj) just for my Canada. She proceeded to laugh her ass off. My other friends think I'm singing it too serious. Also, I screw up halfway through and start humming to the background music. LOL.

I like recording myself singing random songs. Is fun <3

Also, I'm the America in all these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JhkV4XC7yk) karaoke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRLPh4ak0EY) vids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PjS9mOhXcU) from Anime LA, 2011.

Nathus Dorkus
03-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Hehe, cute people. <3

Schuldig_
03-18-2011, 02:36 PM
I love singing! :) I did a lot of choir stuff in my teens, and the odd musical as well. I lost most of my voice to my (former) asthma medicine, though, but that hasn't exactly stopped me. Though now I mostly sing in the tub or in the car where no one can hear me. :rolleyes:

AkatsukiSky
03-19-2011, 08:58 PM
I've been obsessed with my voice for years ._. When I was 9, I wanted to be a singer (you know, those kid dreams to be super famous in the future :P). That was until, some evening 5 years ago, some friend asked me to record myself and the truth came to my face: I just sucked at singing xD. Seriously, I couldn't pull off a note for the sake of my life. More tone deaf than that, impossible I swear.

So since then I've been trying and trying and searching tips over the internet. And this term I was able to take lessons at school. It's no big lessons though since it's only 6 classes of 1h, but better than trying to learn on your own I guess.

So yeah, I still suck a lot but I do love singing when alone (the shower classic, or when I'm cooking or when I wash the dishes). And I do record a lot of covers and see if I at least improve a bit xD (and because mixing in garageband is so much fun). I so wish I could sing, and try on for the idol contest in conventions but I can't :( So I'm doing karaoke with friends for fun because we all aren't that great xD

defia
04-10-2011, 06:09 AM
I've always thought that I'm really, really bad singer. That annoys me, since my mom is just incredible. Before I never dared to sing when people were listening, but nowadays I've gotten braver and I sing days along at home (and torture my family 8D). My voice scale is really small, so I usually sing songs that won't go too high or low.. ; > Like Apulanta's songs (oh, it's my favourite band all time <3)