PDA

View Full Version : Gundam Seed-ZAFT Commander uniform (help please?)

striker0
03-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Before I get down to business, holy sweet mother, I have a load of threads in this sub forum. I am so sorry about that. I wouldn't mind if they were deleted, but I wasn't aware of the number I had.

But now onto business. I have not really been in the mood to work with cardboard or any stiff material to build a gundam cosplay, but I have been craving to work on my sewing skills, and that led me to decide I want a ZAFT uniform, more specifically a commanders uniform. And while I do have some ideas about the general aspect, I do need some help in some other areas. In case some of you are wondering what the commanders uniform looks like, here's a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gundam-Seed-Zaft-White-Uniform-Cosplay-Costume-/350443530691?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51980fe9c3

I'll ask the questions the best I can, so bear with me.

One major part is the coat itself, though I guess one could argue it's more than one thing with the coat. First off, how should I get it to close up? Obviously it does not use a zipper, but would I be better off using buttons hidden under the material, or velcro straps? Another thing about the coat is the black material on the top of the coat, of how when it comes to the arms, it's not really attached, but there is a little separation. Could that be accomplished through the use of poster board, to give it that kind of effect, but keeping it concealed between two layers of material? One other thing is the emblems, both on the collar and around the shoulders. I know I won't be able to do that myself, because that is some fancy embroidery. But does anyone have a idea where I might be able to buy those, or would I have to go to someone in town and have those custom made?

Finally, moving away from the jacket, it's time for both the belt and boots. How should I go along doing that? Chances are, it's not going to be really functional, but it's going to look good. Should I go that path though? And what material should I use for it. As for the boots (yeah they are pretty tall, almost up to the knee), are there any good tutorials out for those, and what material should I use? Keep in mind, this is probably going to be worn during the summer and maybe the winter.

I think that's all I have for now.

krys-chan
03-08-2011, 08:02 AM
One major part is the coat itself, though I guess one could argue it's more than one thing with the coat. First off, how should I get it to close up? Obviously it does not use a zipper, but would I be better off using buttons hidden under the material, or velcro straps?

What I used for my Zaft Uniform was Snaps buttons. Usually they come in strips and so a strip was sewn onto it. It looks relatively goo and is not that noticeable :)

They are the plastic snap ones, not the individual metal ones.

Another thing about the coat is the black material on the top of the coat, of how when it comes to the arms, it's not really attached, but there is a little separation. Could that be accomplished through the use of poster board, to give it that kind of effect, but keeping it concealed between two layers of material?

You could try to find a stiffer fabric to use but the construction of it, can give it the stiff effect. Shoulder pads also help give it a stiff effect but is soft and easily concealable.

One other thing is the emblems, both on the collar and around the shoulders. I know I won't be able to do that myself, because that is some fancy embroidery. But does anyone have a idea where I might be able to buy those, or would I have to go to someone in town and have those custom made?

The smaller ones you can get away with doing simple things but the ZAFT patch I think is most important. This is where I got mine:
Patch (http://www.399animeshop.com/anime/gundam-seed-destiny/zaft-logo-iron-on.php)

Finally, moving away from the jacket, it's time for both the belt and boots. How should I go along doing that? Chances are, it's not going to be really functional, but it's going to look good. Should I go that path though? And what material should I use for it.

I used Canvas for mine. It's stiff but you can still sew it. If not what you could do is find a large white belt and create a separate 'face plate' and attach it via snaps or velcro and a glue gun.

As for the boots (yeah they are pretty tall, almost up to the knee), are there any good tutorials out for those, and what material should I use? Keep in mind, this is probably going to be worn during the summer and maybe the winter.

I did ZAFT Red so I bought White Gogo Boots. I think if you look on ShopCosplay.com or other websites and find knee length black boots, you can use either white paint or white tape to do the designs on the black boot.

I hope that helps. The jacket wont be that easy to make as you will have to alter a pattern if you use it (that's what me and my friend did) but it is possible! :3