PDA

View Full Version : The pissed-off-about-politics thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Flora88
03-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Here's where we can go to complain to each other about shitty laws, shitty politicians, the shitty economy, and what we're doing (or would like to do) to change things.

I just got back from lobbying for Planned Parenthood in Austin. Texas is trying to pass this shitty law that would force every woman who wanted an abortion to have to get a sonogram to see the fetus inside her before doing so. In some versions of the bill, if the woman didn't want to have the sonogram or see the baby, she would be allowed to close her eyes, put her hands over her ears, and "hum a little tune."
WHAT THE F***?!

It's clearly trying to manipulate abortion-seeking women into going ahead and having the baby, despite the fact that she JUST MIGHT be considering the abortion for an extremely valid reason in the first place.

We also discussed how stupid abstinence-only education was, defunding Planned Parenthood and all that jazz.

In the end, we had a grand old time and we feel like we may have actually gotten through to a few people.

Are there any shitty laws or proposed laws that make you angry or sad?

sam vimes
03-09-2011, 08:40 PM
There are a few that come to mind. (http://www.dumblaws.com/)

Good on you, though. I suspect you had an easier time of it in Austin than you would have in other parts of Texas.

I'm glad that this thread was created, because I find myself more and more nervous since the Republicans took the House again. I used to consider myself solidly middle of the road when it came to politics, but the latest policies being favored by the Tea Party-backed conservatives in power is pushing me to the left.

Yukikittie
03-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Politics. :(
Everything going on with Planned Parenthood is pissing me off, a lot. I really don't want those to pass. Like the one you mentioned. (And if they have already then God help us all.) They're just sickening.
So is the legislation to defund PBS. (Mr. Rogers, where are you now when we need you?)
I'm moderate, but I tend to side with the Democrats more nowadays. Ever since the Republicans 'took over' the House of Representatives, I've rarely been paying attention. It's a chickens way out and an unpatriotic thing to do, but now I just want to block it all out and pretend that everything is fine and dandy. It's just so frustrating, can't we all just get along?

Shana05
03-09-2011, 09:22 PM
According to a person who worked for Planned Parenthood, sonograms are performed before every abortion (atleast surgical ones). The woman shouldn't have to view if she doesn't want to and I can understand your outrage if the argument is worded like that. But the doctors need to see were exactly the embryo is implanted. (The majority of abortions happen in the first 12 weeks, at this point it's not a fetus yet.)

The topic of abortion has been a lot more sensitive to me since Tiller's murder. He was actually a family acquaintance. (I'm not saying friend because I don't want to oversell the relationship.) With many saying that this man deserved to be murdered in cold blood and even South Dakota proposing a law that can make the such acts a case of "justifiable homicide," many times I just want to bury my face in a pillow and scream.

DireKitty
03-09-2011, 09:41 PM
It's just so frustrating, can't we all just get along?

This. I remember when Obama came to office everyone was all "YAY!" and then reality set in. He had to deal with the other side of the table, who didn't want to play nice. Why would they, the harder he fell, the better chances they would have the next time around. The Republican party is splintering apart and it's making people pretty wary, and with good reason.

Canadian politics is pretty tame in comparison. We have the conservatives, with Steven Harper at the helm in his sweater vest. The Liberals... who can't seem to find a competent leader.... and that other party that no one likes.

Provincial politics in Ontario mirror that. Our hydro bills are going up up up... and yet we produce more power then we can handle... and somehow we have to pay people to take it. Whatever happened to supply and demand? Supply is high, demand is low... shouldn't the price of hydro go down? Oh wait, we are so into wind power that we are paying 12 cents a kilowatt... when we pay like 7 cents for normal power generation. WHAT??! On top of it, a lot of people don't want wind near them. People are complaining of headaches (these babies are loud), the blades kill birds (especially birds of prey, and bats), animals are driven away (farmers who have one nearby are not happy, their horses are not happy), and other issues, but the government doesn't care, they want to look "green". The wind companies are like door to door salesman trying to get people to lease their property for one. They are really annoying, all because the government is paying way to much for it.

So now our price for hyrdo is going way up, and so the government in its infinite wisdom decides to lower our bill. How could they do that? Well they took out a loan you see... to cover the extra costs... and well, we will have to play that loan back with interest. Lovely. So smart on their part. Hydro costs are still going up. They introduced a smart meter, which should measure power better. It's causing people to pay even more.

/head desk

Pudding-chan
03-09-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm angry that the governor of Wisconsin is trying to break the unions (at least from public servants!)! What the hell man? The unions are there for a reason! Thanks for the regression in our rights! I'm so angry at the moment that I've become illiterate!

Volnixshin
03-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Other than what Flora said, and I'm behind her 100%, I would just like to point out

America doesn't know how to throw a tea party.

Archangelz
03-09-2011, 11:05 PM
WISCONSIN.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/10/us/10wisconsin.html?smid=fb-nytimes&WT.mc_id=US-SM-E-FB-SM-LIN-RTE-030911-NYT-NA&WT.mc_ev=click

Damn. As I posted on Facebook, this whole thing is disgusting. Not only because of what they are doing, or have done I should say, but because both political sides are children. The Democrats just ran away to not have to talk about it openly and quickly. The Republicans used a loophole to pass massive changes without any debate or any Democrats present. This is a disgustingly broken system.

Arc_The_Lad
03-09-2011, 11:45 PM
I steer away from talking about politics, I hate them.

If you want to know my position, I'd be the guy running in front of the riot throwing molotovs.

sam vimes
03-09-2011, 11:53 PM
I steer away from talking about politics, I hate them.

If you want to know my position, I'd be the guy running in front of the riot throwing molotovs.

Way to contribute.

As for your position, enjoying getting stomped by the riot police.:juggler:

Origin
03-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Washington. Christine Gregoire. Enough said.

Arc_The_Lad
03-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Way to contribute.

As for your position, enjoying getting stomped by the riot police.:juggler:

I don't vote.

Deal with it. *shades*

Miyabi-
03-10-2011, 12:06 AM
Oh are we talking about ridiculous things in politics? Here's my latest rage:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/41889946#41889946

This ties in rather nicely with federal funding being cut from Planned Parenthood. PP provides affordable heath care expendatures in prevention and pregnancy care.
Some women can only afford to go to PP for these things and by cutting the funding you're cutting off the resources to help these women have a healthy baby. No health care=possible miscarriages.
Sooo..you want this baby to be born but you're denying people an affordable way to do so? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense there. :rolleyes:

I wrote a ridiculously long blog entry on it providing a lot more information that I'd be happy to PM if anyone actually wants to read it.
I was just outraged at how someone could condemn someone for something they couldn't help and add to the heartbreak of losing their baby. ;_;

A.F.S. 1984
03-10-2011, 12:14 AM
Here's where we can go to complain to each other about shitty laws, shitty politicians, the shitty economy, and what we're doing (or would like to do) to change things.

I just got back from lobbying for Planned Parenthood in Austin. Texas is trying to pass this shitty law that would force every woman who wanted an abortion to have to get a sonogram to see the fetus inside her before doing so. In some versions of the bill, if the woman didn't want to have the sonogram or see the baby, she would be allowed to close her eyes, put her hands over her ears, and "hum a little tune."
WHAT THE F***?!

It's clearly trying to manipulate abortion-seeking women into going ahead and having the baby, despite the fact that she JUST MIGHT be considering the abortion for an extremely valid reason in the first place.

We also discussed how stupid abstinence-only education was, defunding Planned Parenthood and all that jazz.

In the end, we had a grand old time and we feel like we may have actually gotten through to a few people.

Are there any shitty laws or proposed laws that make you angry or sad?

I bet it made you real mad when ricky boy wanted to make mandatory cervical cancer innoculation injections for all females attending public schools.

Not only was it an experimental and dangerous drug, it goes against everything that his partay stands for.

Ineedaname9
03-10-2011, 01:53 AM
AIPAC comes to mind...or any other pro-Isreal lobby group. It's so powerful that is scares politicians.....

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=37572&Cr=palestin&Cr1
http://my.firedoglake.com/ctuttle/2011/02/18/obama-vetoes-un-security-council-resolution-on-israel/

They say yes it's wrong and yes something should be done, but we don't want to be sacked so we must veto this. I really don't want to go digging thru my stuff for the name UN ambassador that was sacked because of the AIPAC lobby.

On a local scale, HECO (Hawaiian electric company) really needs to come to an agrement. We recently had a storm and yeah having the repair guys on strike is BAD!!!! Kinda like the time the shipyard workers went on strike and everyone on the island ran out of toilet paper...

The Hag
03-10-2011, 05:33 AM
I used to consider myself solidly middle of the road when it came to politics, but the latest policies being favored by the Tea Party-backed conservatives in power is pushing me to the left.

No, brother. We're still moderates. It's the so-called "conservatives" who have pulled the Republican party to the far right. Media stars like Limbaugh and Palin are their voice and any conservative with half a brain who wants to represent all their constituents and actually, you know, govern gets vilified and labeled a RINO.

Lithium Flower
03-10-2011, 10:09 AM
On the original post:
A lot of people tend to forget that Planned Parenthood is not an abortion clinic and provides women with medical and safe sex support. I am not sure if this is the case with all PP but the ones around me you can go see their girly-part doctor and get 6 months of birth control free, then after 6 months it's sold to you pretty cheaply. But I digress..

I find the problem with politics (this refers to in our government officials not everyone as a whole) is that the Democrats want to do something but cant get shit done, the Republicans are batshit but can move a law faster than I can down an order at Taco Bell.

Brsis
03-10-2011, 01:07 PM
I like how in a thread labelled 'politics' the entirety of the discussion is North American :lol:

So a guy walks into the Liberal Democrat headquarters and says "I want a copy of your manifesto."
The man behind the counter replies "We've sold out."
"I know you have, but I want a copy of your manifesto."

Students from underprivileged backgrounds aren't going to university, CLEARLY WE RAISE TUITION FEES.
With the drop off in students our universities can't afford to run science and math courses any more and we won't be able to sustain our own technology industry, CLEARLY WE LIMIT IMMIGRATION
The country is getting more and more unhealthy, CLEARLY WE NEED TO CUT FUNDING TO THE NHS
We're still stuck in a war we never should have been involved in in the first place, CLEARLY WE NEED TO CUT FUNDING TO THE ARMY
People are protesting all over the place at the spending cuts, CLEARLY WE NEED TO CUT FUNDING TO THE POLICE
National literacy is dropping, CLEARLY WE NEED TO CUT FUNDING TO THE LIBRARIES
Race crime is at an all time high, CLEARLY WE MAKE LAWS DISCRIMINATING AGAINST MUSLIMS AND DECIDE TO MAKE A HOLIDAY CELEBRATING 'BRITISHNESS'

... since last time I checked 'Britishness' involved a round down the pub and a vindaloo, I don't think this day is going to be good for the decline in health. Why can't we have a 'Respect for the Aged' day like they do in Japan? I can't wait until we're shot of this government.

Shana05
03-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Tony Perkins, of the Family Research Council said this on Obama not defending DOMA, "Fitting if it were in the Middle East in one of those dictatorships."

I always knew the FRC were idiots but he isn't aware how anti-gay the Middle East is? Don't get me started on how stupid the dictatorship comparison is.

fullbleed
03-10-2011, 03:38 PM
I like how in a thread labelled 'politics' the entirety of the discussion is North American :lol:

So a guy walks into the Liberal Democrat headquarters and says "I want a copy of your manifesto."
The man behind the counter replies "We've sold out."
"I know you have, but I want a copy of your manifesto."

Students from underprivileged backgrounds aren't going to university, CLEARLY WE RAISE TUITION FEES.
With the drop off in students our universities can't afford to run science and math courses any more and we won't be able to sustain our own technology industry, CLEARLY WE LIMIT IMMIGRATION
The country is getting more and more unhealthy, CLEARLY WE NEED TO CUT FUNDING TO THE NHS
We're still stuck in a war we never should have been involved in in the first place, CLEARLY WE NEED TO CUT FUNDING TO THE ARMY
People are protesting all over the place at the spending cuts, CLEARLY WE NEED TO CUT FUNDING TO THE POLICE
National literacy is dropping, CLEARLY WE NEED TO CUT FUNDING TO THE LIBRARIES
Race crime is at an all time high, CLEARLY WE MAKE LAWS DISCRIMINATING AGAINST MUSLIMS AND DECIDE TO MAKE A HOLIDAY CELEBRATING 'BRITISHNESS'

... since last time I checked 'Britishness' involved a round down the pub and a vindaloo, I don't think this day is going to be good for the decline in health. Why can't we have a 'Respect for the Aged' day like they do in Japan? I can't wait until we're shot of this government.

Here here.

I live in Suffolk, I'm 18, I go to 6th form college and am funded by EMA, money from the Government basicly for anyone else, which is £30 a week. Half of that is spent on travel, the other half food, school trips, retaking exams ect.

They're going to cut the student discount scheme on bus travel come April, at this point all of my money will be spent purely on travel costs leaving me nothing for food or educational costs. I haven't been able to get a job because there's such high unemployment round here.

East Anglia is the fastest growing area of the UK both in terms of population and economically speaking and yet it receives some of the lowest amount of funding from the Government in all of the UK with jobs continually being moved up north.

I hate it, people living in rural areas are being fucked essentially.

penny_dreadful
03-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Well, so far we've all been from the U.S., so.

I was just talking to the PP employee who does HIV testing at our college. She says, in her personal opinion, Planned Parenthood isn't going anywhere. It's unlikely to pass the Senate, and Obama has already stated he won't sign it if it gets that far.

Still, what's pretty obvious is that the right wing has been making a solid statement that they are anti-choice and anti-woman. Even if none of the bills pass, they're basically coming right out and saying they are against bodily autonomy for those of us with wombs-- and those of us without wombs, too. They are prepared to remove those rights from us no matter what the cost. Scary stuff, and disheartening that we are going through this when it wasn't that long ago we fought for and won those rights in the first place.

There's also a lot of sneaky, underhanded stuff going on to remove power from unions, students, ethnic minorities-- basically any group that's unlikely to vote Republican. While I don't totally love any of the parties, and right now the U.S. essentially practices as a two-party country, they are trying to remove even more choice from all of us and pare it down to a one-party system. It's a bad, bad time all around.

kiratsukai
03-10-2011, 05:06 PM
The Japanese government is so inherently broken and corrupt that it's difficult to do anything but sigh and shake your head anymore.

But in things to be pissed about this week:

Another prime minister candidate came and went, chased out of potential office because he took a few thousand dollars in campaign donations from a Korean woman living in Japan (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2011/03/the_real_scandal_in_the_resign.html)... which makes him automatically a lap-dog to filthy foreigners out to subvert the unique and homogenous Japanese identity.

Related politics thread (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=235749) also popped up on the Japan Board about the Tokyo Animation Fair boycott and everyone's favorite xenophobic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Japan_That_Can_Say_No) rape novelist (http://www.tinieroracle.com/2010/12/otaku-have-corrupt-dna-says-ishihara.html) mayor: Ishihara.

glitter bomb
03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Well first, it is an American site which means a large American membership. Second, people tend to naturally be most concerned with news that affects them directly. :) So Americans are going to post about American news. It's really not a U.S.-centric issue. Brits will post about British news. Australians will post about Australian news. Japanese will post about Japanese news. etc.

I was just talking to the PP employee who does HIV testing at our college. She says, in her personal opinion, Planned Parenthood isn't going anywhere. It's unlikely to pass the Senate, and Obama has already stated he won't sign it if it gets that far.

Still, what's pretty obvious is that the right wing has been making a solid statement that they are anti-choice and anti-woman. Even if none of the bills pass, they're basically coming right out and saying they are against bodily autonomy for those of us with wombs-- and those of us without wombs, too.

I really hope the PP employee is right, but I'm very concerned. This isn't just about a pro-choice/pro-life issue -- it's about women's HEALTH. Abortions make up only a very small percentage of PP, something like 5%. The rest is actual women's health care: bladder infections, yeast infections, BV, vaginal exams, exams for breast cancer, tests for pelvic cancer, treatment for pain, treatment for menstrual problems -- none of which are specifically related to sexual activity -- along with pregnancy tests and prenatal issues. And what's worse, I believe those who are hell-bent on removing PP know this. Which means we have political figures declaring a war on women's health.

PP is sometimes the ONLY safe resource for women who have been raped or abused. So politicians who are trying to eliminate PP are essentially fighting a war against rape and abuse victims. Really? REALLY?? These are the people you're going to penalize? In addition, PP is often the only resource for poor women, newly immigrated women, women without health insurance, young women who are too terrified to turn to friends or family, women who never received proper sexual-health education. These women are all going for BASIC MEDICAL CARE, in addition to the possible birth control and abortion services.

I find it indescribably insulting and angering that men can get Viagra prescriptions more easily than women can get basic reproductive HEALTH CARE. It's basically like stamping all women with a scarlet A saying "men have an innate right to sex that deserves unwavering support, but women who have sex are irresponsible whores who don't deserve assistance for any health care involving their breasts, fallopian tubes, uterus, or vagina."

The stories from other representatives fighting for PP have been heartbreaking to me. And emotions aside, it has been pointed out that having PP actually SAVES money. I think the figure I read yesterday stated that cutting funding to PP would actually cost the government 4 times as much by funneling all of those patients into emergency care and other programs.

So yeah, this makes me angry. I pay taxes, I am a citizen, I vote. And a significant portion of politicians right now are saying I don't matter. I realize I'm kinda preaching to the choir here, but I had to vent.

ETA: I'm also pissed off and concerned about a whole bunch of other political issues. Like, a lot. But one thing at a time. ;)

penny_dreadful
03-10-2011, 05:36 PM
glitter bomb, you are on like Donkey Kong.

They're attacking abortion, but while they're at it they're ruining health care for women-- and men as well, and trans people, etc. You're right, abortion comprises a very small percentage of the services PP provides, and the anti-PP activists seem to overlook that the majority of hospitals and many private clinics also provide abortion services. Are they going to try and shut down hospitals? Oh, no, because hospitals don't cater primarily to women and low-income people.

I'm also so, so sick of the argument that "PP practically forces women to get abortions." NO. I can tell you, that is absolutely not the case-- certainly not in contrast to the centers run by religious groups that coerce young women into going there and then try and guilt them into going through with their pregnancies. I'm not saying women shouldn't be educated about or open to other options, but women are perfectly capable of making up their own minds and shouldn't be shamed, blamed, and judged.

Anyway, I'm also a union person, so naturally I'm super peeved at the underhanded tactics the Republicans pulled in Wisconsin. This is a major blow to all of us union workers across the country. I just got an email from AFSCME (American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees) regarding "the massive grassroots campaign to recall the Republican lawmakers who gamed the system last night"; if you're interested in contributing to the fight, you can throw a few bucks their way here (https://afl.salsalabs.com/o/4002/c/51/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=239&track=FRe_201103_WeAreWI-blast28464&tag=FRe_201103_WeAreWI-blast28464).

glitter bomb
03-10-2011, 06:01 PM
glitter bomb, you are on like Donkey Kong.
hee. I first read that as "you are like Donkey Kong" and didn't know what that meant. big and hairy? throwing barrels?

Anyway, I'm also a union person, so naturally I'm super peeved at the underhanded tactics the Republicans pulled in Wisconsin. This is a major blow to all of us union workers across the country. I just got an email from AFSCME (American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees) regarding "the massive grassroots campaign to recall the Republican lawmakers who gamed the system last night"; if you're interested in contributing to the fight, you can throw a few bucks their way here (https://afl.salsalabs.com/o/4002/c/51/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=239&track=FRe_201103_WeAreWI-blast28464&tag=FRe_201103_WeAreWI-blast28464).

I've been alternately enraged, alarmed and just plain nervous about what's been going on in Wisconsin. Particularly that it's gotten to this point with no intervention or accountability, and what that might mean for other states. I mean, how obvious does abuse of the system have to be before someone steps in and says "ok, you're out and this has to stop"? When the police (who aren't affected by the union attacks) turn against your party and stand in support of the other unions and citizens, that right there should be a friggin clue. I'm wondering what's going to happen if there is a universal strike. Aside from the shutdown of key services, that could lead to some nasty rioting and crime sprees.

I read yesterday that some equally sketchy things are happening in Michigan. Crapola.

It seems there is at least a very vocal part of the population protesting and trying to take action. That gives me a little hope.

Yukikittie
03-10-2011, 06:20 PM
I read yesterday that some equally sketchy things are happening in Michigan. Crapola.

*Lives in Michigan*
Oh no. D:

Lithium Flower
03-10-2011, 06:24 PM
This isn't just about a pro-choice/pro-life issue -- it's about women's HEALTH. Abortions make up only a very small percentage of PP, something like 5%. The rest is actual women's health care: bladder infections, yeast infections, BV, vaginal exams, exams for breast cancer, tests for pelvic cancer, treatment for pain, treatment for menstrual problems -- none of which are specifically related to sexual activity -- along with pregnancy tests and prenatal issues. /snip/

That^
PP Isn't some back-alley abortionist with a rusty hanger. At 21 I haven't had health care for almost 3 years, until I was able to get under my fathers just this month. It was coming to the point where Planned Parenthood was going to be my ONLY choice in any sort of health care :/ A breast exam, vaginal exam and testing for a sexually transmitted disease are very serious medical procedures that aren't some sort of throw away issue. An exam can mean the difference in early detection of breast cancer for christ sakes. Thats.Serious.Shit.

How little does someone have to care about the health and well being of women and YOUNG GIRLS to decide that because there's ONE THING you dislike about an organization that your personal morals make it okay to abolish the one place some women can go for the most basic of health care?

Kildread
03-10-2011, 06:48 PM
This (http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110302/mtl_arena_110302?hub=MontrealSports) whole story has been many levels of stupid ever since I heard about the liberal government here deciding it was a good idea to finance a new stadium.

The government promises money for the new stadium, in 1 city that will be pretty much non-useful to anyone not close to it --- and as soon as the new year rolls over, we get 1% provincial sales tax increase.

...here we pay 5% federal sales tax on any non-necessity purchases we make and to that is added the provincial tax, which makes for 8.5% (Used to be 7.5%). From where does anyone think the money for the stadium comes from?

Yet, instead of anyone mulling this over, everyone seems to talk about the return of an hockey team that is dead and buried for years. WHAT IS EVERYONE HERE THINKING?!??!

There's also an ongoing drama about the appointment of judges that the references are all in french that I can't link to.

...all I want is to see the liberals here lose their seat of power.

..but who is to take their places? I kind of wonder.

Also adding to this, here one of the most annoying (personally) parts of our lovely government is this (http://www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/) band of assclowns.

They force displays to have primarly french language on them, any other language (english mainly) needs to be in smaller character or less accessible, they inspect business to ensure the tools they use are in french.

A lot of their methods has made many adults with only french as their language of communication (Except in Montréal, which sees a lot of diversity), instead of encouraging bilingual discourse, but their methods creep further along.

They've first ruled (many years ago) that games imported locally need to have french language on them, and french manuals, otherwise they'd be refused. Last year, that went further and *required* game suppliers to provide the french version of the game locally over the english one.

Technically, the english one is still allowed if no french localization is available, but a lot of large chains will flat out not store multiple titles (or special editions) because of this rule. We also frequently get european versions of games instead of US ones because of this, of major note was Blizzard releases, which limit Québec players to play on EU servers instead of US because of the locale of their games.

Urgh.

sam vimes
03-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Sometimes I truly do feel like moving to some socialistic Nordic paradise. The continued and seemingly bottomless idiocy being voiced by those who never open a book, never empathize with someone outside their ethnicity or religion, or whose source of morality appears to be an unholy alliance of the Bible and Ayn Rand seems to be the driving force of every bill being suggested by the current legislative body of the United States. For fuck's sake -- one quarter of this country seems to trust the blatherings of a beet-faced jack-a-nape on Fox News who is insane enough to label Teddy Roosevelt a communist. Every issue is politicized. Every single piece of news that reaches our ears is broken down and fractured into something unrecognizable to fit into a comfortable black-and-white issue that the average idiot with his or her thumb ready to flick whatever Republican switch Rush Limbaugh tells him to exert force on when they're in the voting booth can comprehend.

Ridiculous.

DireKitty
03-10-2011, 08:28 PM
This (http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110302/mtl_arena_110302?hub=MontrealSports) whole story has been many levels of stupid ever since I heard about the liberal government here deciding it was a good idea to finance a new stadium.

The government promises money for the new stadium, in 1 city that will be pretty much non-useful to anyone not close to it --- and as soon as the new year rolls over, we get 1% provincial sales tax increase.

...here we pay 5% federal sales tax on any non-necessity purchases we make and to that is added the provincial tax, which makes for 8.5% (Used to be 7.5%). From where does anyone think the money for the stadium comes from?

Yet, instead of anyone mulling this over, everyone seems to talk about the return of an hockey team that is dead and buried for years. WHAT IS EVERYONE HERE THINKING?!??!

There's also an ongoing drama about the appointment of judges that the references are all in french that I can't link to.

...all I want is to see the liberals here lose their seat of power.

..but who is to take their places? I kind of wonder.

Also adding to this, here one of the most annoying (personally) parts of our lovely government is this (http://www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/) band of assclowns.

They force displays to have primarly french language on them, any other language (english mainly) needs to be in smaller character or less accessible, they inspect business to ensure the tools they use are in french.

A lot of their methods has made many adults with only french as their language of communication (Except in Montréal, which sees a lot of diversity), instead of encouraging bilingual discourse, but their methods creep further along.

They've first ruled (many years ago) that games imported locally need to have french language on them, and french manuals, otherwise they'd be refused. Last year, that went further and *required* game suppliers to provide the french version of the game locally over the english one.

Technically, the english one is still allowed if no french localization is available, but a lot of large chains will flat out not store multiple titles (or special editions) because of this rule. We also frequently get european versions of games instead of US ones because of this, of major note was Blizzard releases, which limit Québec players to play on EU servers instead of US because of the locale of their games.

Urgh.

When i worked at gamestop we shipped a lot of used games to Quebec. We also got in a lot of used French games, only we didn't know they were French until people bought them and returned them saying "it's in French". So i'd ship them back to our head office with "Defective: French." :P

As for Blizzard, I suppose you could buy the game online and play on NA servers, but still that sucks.

And hell, your sales tax is cheap... i'm moving to Quebec! (here it's 13%)

nannyogg
03-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Ridiculous.

I wonder if next we will elect a horse to be Caesar.

Kildread
03-10-2011, 08:35 PM
When i worked at gamestop we shipped a lot of used games to Quebec. We also got in a lot of used French games, only we didn't know they were French until people bought them and returned them saying "it's in French". So i'd ship them back to our head office with "Defective: French." :P

:rofl: The irony is that I've done that a few times, I bought a game and realized it was entirely in french once I got home. Returned to the start and they exchanged my copy free of charge (Benefit of being a frequent customer). The annoying part is that large chains will frequently stock no or few english copies of games where the french version is available.

I know it,s my first language and all, but games in french irritate the heck out of me :fuming:

As for Blizzard, I suppose you could buy the game online and play on NA servers, but still that sucks.

Luckily, I got one of the few english copies of Starcraft 2, my name is down for an english Diablo 3 for whenever too.

On a business side, it makes sense for Blizzard not to make a purely NA french version considering how small the french-only customer base is...

And hell, your sales tax is cheap... i'm moving to Quebec! (here it's 13%)

Ouch! You guys have it even worse than we do on that side. (I have a 2 bedroom apartment if you're looking :p)

Flora88
03-10-2011, 09:07 PM
About the PP thing:

glitter bomb, LithiumFlower and penny dreadful, and all you other lovely, eloquent ladies, I love all of you.

And if I ever need a tag-team for a rally in DC and have money for your plane tickets, I'm calling you.

Flora88
03-10-2011, 10:12 PM
YAY! I have a little more faith in humanity! There is hope for the world. (http://jezebel.com/#!5780548/planned-parenthood-remains-funded-++-for-now)

Now, back to being mad.
Texas, why you gotta be so stupid sometimes?! Sonogram bill, my ass. I talked to the author of the bill and he, himself, barely understands his own bill.

FinalEVA
03-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Sometimes I truly do feel like moving to some socialistic Nordic paradise. The continued and seemingly bottomless idiocy being voiced by those who never open a book, never empathize with someone outside their ethnicity or religion, or whose source of morality appears to be an unholy alliance of the Bible and Ayn Rand seems to be the driving force of every bill being suggested by the current legislative body of the United States. For fuck's sake -- one quarter of this country seems to trust the blatherings of a beet-faced jack-a-nape on Fox News who is insane enough to label Teddy Roosevelt a communist. Every issue is politicized. Every single piece of news that reaches our ears is broken down and fractured into something unrecognizable to fit into a comfortable black-and-white issue that the average idiot with his or her thumb ready to flick whatever Republican switch Rush Limbaugh tells him to exert force on when they're in the voting booth.

Ridiculous.

Awesome post. I consider myself a left-leaning moderate - socially liberal and somewhat economically conservative. Since the beginning of the Bush administration, this country seems to be getting more and more divided. Maybe it's when people who thought the Iraq war wasn't such a good idea were being labeled as "terrorists" and were "aiding the enemy." Not that I particularly think Obama is doing an excellent job either. I always go unaffiliated as far as my political party loyalty is concerned.

The one thing I don't understand is the people that talk about "small government" don't have any problem wanting a huge military (that they don't want to have to pay for) and wanting a strong domestic spying program to make sure we are being morally checked in our privacy.

Cadmium Polyphony
03-11-2011, 01:53 AM
I was going to say this in the 'whats up with you' thread, but felt it belonged here more, in context.

Would you lot say it's about time for a Smothers Brothers revival hour on prime-time?

rubyspitfire
03-11-2011, 03:18 AM
http://pressreleases.kcstar.com/?q=node/53480

even though this doesn't directly apply to me right now, i'm glad i didn't move to kansas after all

FinalEVA
03-11-2011, 03:23 AM

even though this doesn't directly apply to me right now, i'm glad i didn't move to kansas after all

Wow. It's really amazing how people can't live in 2011. I never understood this type of thing.

rubyspitfire
03-11-2011, 03:40 AM
this only serves as another example or church in matters of state, which is unconstitutional. i don't want "christ" in my politics, so get the damned churchgoers out of office! i don't care what goes on in someone's bedroom and neither should anyone else

nannyogg
03-11-2011, 07:36 AM

Wow, that is almost funny because in practice, there are parts of KS government that are very gay friendly. Adoption and child custody are one area where KS is great. I have seen gay and lesbian couples chosen to adopt nonrelated children, when there were also several heterosexual couples wanting the same child, but the gay/lesbian couple were a better fit. And in child custody where one parent left the other for a person of the same sex, I have seen the judges tell the hetero parent that's irrelevant to the wellbeing of the child and it isn't considered in custody. We had a lesbian undersheriff, but she left us when she got elected as sheriff the next county over. I guess she didn't get the memo she's a criminal.

penny_dreadful
03-11-2011, 08:58 AM
About the PP thing:

glitter bomb, LithiumFlower and penny dreadful, and all you other lovely, eloquent ladies, I love all of you.

And if I ever need a tag-team for a rally in DC and have money for your plane tickets, I'm calling you.

Pssh, DC's a 5-hour drive for us. I did it for Stewart and Colbert, I'd do it for PP.

sam vimes
03-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Would you lot say it's about time for a Smothers Brothers revival hour on prime-time?

All right. When are the two of us doing it?

penny_dreadful
03-11-2011, 10:50 AM
All right. When are the two of us doing it?

Alls I know is, you're definitely Tommy.

Flora88
03-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Wow. Check THIS out. (http://jackdean.posterous.com/must-see-chart-this-is-what-class-war-looks-l)

Lithium Flower
03-11-2011, 06:37 PM
About the PP thing:

Imma just leave this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaxBR1AiFS4&feature=player_embedded) here.

DireKitty
03-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Coffee party?! Awesome party...

Flora88
03-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Imma just leave this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaxBR1AiFS4&feature=player_embedded) here.

Aww! I love that video. :)

Lithium Flower
03-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Aww! I love that video. :)

But you wont love this. (http://failbook.failblog.org/2011/03/11/tsunami-in-japan-a-wave-of-ignorance/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Failbooking+%28FailBooking%29&utm_content=FaceBook)

glitter bomb
03-11-2011, 07:33 PM
But you wont love this. (http://failbook.failblog.org/2011/03/11/tsunami-in-japan-a-wave-of-ignorance/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Failbooking+%28FailBooking%29&utm_content=FaceBook)
that was one of those things that I read and think "well, today is a good day to be me, then." when faced with the dregs of humanity who are mind numbingly ignorant, at least that's an upside: things could be worse, I could be them.

Flora88
03-11-2011, 07:41 PM

Wow. What the shit, stupid facebook peeps? What the shit?

DireKitty
03-11-2011, 08:08 PM

Sometimes... I wonder.... perhaps we should force people to take a test before they are allowed to breed...

... our population would crash due to all the failures, but i'm okay with that.

penny_dreadful
03-11-2011, 08:17 PM

DEAR AMERICA, I HAVE SEX.

But I'm no longer a youth.

BUT I HAD SEX WHEN I WAS. DEAL WITH IT.

DireKitty
03-11-2011, 08:38 PM
DEAR AMERICA, I HAVE SEX.

But I'm no longer a youth.

BUT I HAD SEX WHEN I WAS. DEAL WITH IT.

I'm reminded of this (http://satwcomic.com/anything-but-that).

warning: they swear!

The Hag
03-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Maybe not politics, per se. But please read this story in the NYT (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/us/09assault.html?_r=1) about an 11-year old child who was allegedly gang-raped by 18 teens and young men. I draw attention to these quotes from people in the town:

These boys have to live with this the rest of their lives.

Where was her mother? What was her mother thinking

and statements by the reporter:
They said she dressed older than her age, wearing makeup and fashions more appropriate to a woman in her 20s. She would hang out with teenage boys at a playground, some said.

The case has rocked this East Texas community to its core and left many residents in the working-class neighborhood where the attack took place with unanswered questions. Among them is, if the allegations are proved, how could their young men have been drawn into such an act?

(emphasis added)

Now please read the NYT's response (http://publiceditor.blogs.nytimes.com/)to the outrage, in which they admit that their story "lacked balance" because they neglected to present the 11-year old victim's side equally with that of the rapists' and their apologists.

If you are, quite justifiably, disgusted - please sign this petition (http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-the-new-york-times-to-apologize-for-blaming-a-child-for-her-gang-rape#?opt_new=t&opt_fb=t). It is, literally, the very least we can do.

DireKitty
03-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Maybe not politics, per se. But please read this story in the NYT (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/us/09assault.html?_r=1) about an 11-year old child who was allegedly gang-raped by 18 teens and young men. I draw attention to these quotes from people in the town:

and statements by the reporter:

(emphasis added)

Now please read the NYT's response (http://publiceditor.blogs.nytimes.com/)to the outrage, in which they admit that their story "lacked balance" because they neglected to present the 11-year old victim's side equally with that of the rapists' and their apologists.

If you are, quite justifiably, disgusted - please sign this petition (http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-the-new-york-times-to-apologize-for-blaming-a-child-for-her-gang-rape#?opt_new=t&opt_fb=t). It is, literally, the very least we can do.

They sure as hell need to fire that reporter and the editor that okay'd that piece of crap. It's irresponsible to print such a piece of shit. This is the kinda shit we expect out of the middle east, but not in a country such as the US...

Also, more people that shouldn't breed.

I'd say i'll never buy their paper again, but I've never bought it before. Instead, I linked the petition to my facebook page with an angry rant.

Edit: UGH I READ THEIR RESPONSE I'M EVEN ANGRIER NOW... to even give credence to their side.... what... i don't even.... UGH!

Lithium Flower
03-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Sometimes... I wonder.... perhaps we should force people to take a test before they are allowed to breed...

... our population would crash due to all the failures, but i'm okay with that.

Wow. What the shit, stupid facebook peeps? What the shit?

that was one of those things that I read and think "well, today is a good day to be me, then." when faced with the dregs of humanity who are mind numbingly ignorant, at least that's an upside: things could be worse, I could be them.

Surprisingly, bad shit brings out the worst in people. Or rather, not surprisingly if your the kind of person I imagine most of you to be.

Nothing says "Progressive Society" like victim blaming an 11 year that was gang raped.

Look at her hello-kitty lipgloss, that kids just asking for it.

x-Steffi-x
03-12-2011, 10:38 AM
According to UK officials, perverse teachers will be able to teach kids again as the system needs to be "softened". Wtf? The British law needs to be TOUGHENED not SOFTENED! No wonder people here are running rampant and having kids just to live off benefits and chavs are just flipped off. What has society come to, no wonder everyone hates the British government, it's retarded.

And then the government wonders why we have high numbers in every bad thing imagineable like high teen pregnancy rate, etc... Because nothing is being done about it, and if it is, it's a stupid idea that won't work.

Now it's preverts having the chance to be perverts again. Great because every person with a child wants them to be leered and groomed at.

I'm not look forward to paying taxes for lazy people and pointless people in which I wonder why they cease to exist.

/sarcasm.

nannyogg
03-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Surprisingly, bad shit brings out the worst in people. Or rather, not surprisingly if your the kind of person I imagine most of you to be.

Nothing says "Progressive Society" like victim blaming an 11 year that was gang raped.

Look at her hello-kitty lipgloss, that kids just asking for it.

And not only did they blame the 11 year old... some progressive people decided they should blame her mom. Not parents, mom. Because everybody knows it's single mothers that raise bad seed daughters who lead poor innocent men astray... :fuming:

Miyabi-
03-12-2011, 12:30 PM
So much rage. :mad:
I'm so sick of the "blame the victim" mentality and the whole "she was dressed like ____ so she was asking for it."
I'm sorry, but unless someone goes straight up to you and opens their mouth and says "Please do me now." nothing else is "asking for it."
Why aren't the boys being condemned for letting the little head do the thinking for the big one?
*MuthaeffingSIGNED.*

Lithium Flower
03-12-2011, 12:31 PM
And not only did they blame the 11 year old... some progressive people decided they should blame her mom. Not parents, mom. Because everybody knows it's single mothers that raise bad seed daughters who lead poor innocent men astray... :fuming:

Single moms are all strippers who like to wave their boobies about all willy-nilly.

More pedophilia, less single moms.

The anthem of the United States.

fullbleed
03-12-2011, 05:26 PM
According to UK officials, perverse teachers will be able to teach kids again as the system needs to be "softened". Wtf? The British law needs to be TOUGHENED not SOFTENED! No wonder people here are running rampant and having kids just to live off benefits and chavs are just flipped off. What has society come to, no wonder everyone hates the British government, it's retarded.

And then the government wonders why we have high numbers in every bad thing imagineable like high teen pregnancy rate, etc... Because nothing is being done about it, and if it is, it's a stupid idea that won't work.

Now it's preverts having the chance to be perverts again. Great because every person with a child wants them to be leered and groomed at.

I'm not look forward to paying taxes for lazy people and pointless people in which I wonder why they cease to exist.

/sarcasm.

Over crowded prisons, EU leigislature? That probably why this is happening, softening of law that is, you then go into a tangent about broken Britian and I sort of lost you there.

I never understood all of those people who wanted Britain out of the EU before, probably because most of those people were BNP or UKIP and were either racists or light racists. But now that we're being forced to give the vote to people in prison because of human rights violations... hrmm. I mean there's a reason for that, anyone in prison is going to have a more vested interest in the leadership of a country surely, being at Her Majesty's pleasure? Doesn't the EU have better things to do?

Lithium Flower
03-12-2011, 06:05 PM
But now that we're being forced to give the vote to people in prison because of human rights violations...

Isn't one of the points of putting people in prison to take their rights away, so prisons of puppy rapers can't elect in a president puppy raper who will pardon them?

Volnixshin
03-12-2011, 06:08 PM
My brother was in prison. I wish he could vote.

fullbleed
03-12-2011, 06:11 PM
this only serves as another example or church in matters of state, which is unconstitutional. i don't want "christ" in my politics, so get the damned churchgoers out of office! i don't care what goes on in someone's bedroom and neither should anyone else

You know what, church goers have just as much right to be in office as non religious people. Please. Do not. Generalise all Christians. I know it's very popular, don't. If you honestly think someone should be denied a position in politics because of their faith then... well that's just wrong.

Really had to get that off my chest.

Volnixshin
03-12-2011, 06:14 PM
I think a person should be denied in politics if their religion is their backing

fullbleed
03-12-2011, 06:23 PM
I don't see it being any different to denying someone because of ethnicity or sexuality. Religious people are part of the country too and should be represented by their government. Everyone had different beliefs and opinions, someone can be Christian and completely open about same sex relationships just the same as someone can be athiest and still be completely ignorant and racist.

Volnixshin
03-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Not what I'm saying.

I have no problem with "believing" people in office.

I have a problem with people who want to get in office, or try to because they want to change things based on their beliefs, and not what is best for everyone else.

rubyspitfire
03-12-2011, 06:29 PM
You know what, church goers have just as much right to be in office as non religious people. Please. Do not. Generalise all Christians. I know it's very popular, don't. If you honestly think someone should be denied a position in politics because of their faith then... well that's just wrong.

Really had to get that off my chest.

as i've mentioned here before, i was raised in a strict christian house. don't assume i judge people just because of what they believe. how they act on those beliefs is what matters. people who are so motivated by their faith to try to force that on others through any means should not be in a position to do so. trying to pass laws that are unconstitutional because "the people are sinning" is unconstitutional and goes against the freedom of religion this country was founded on

Lithium Flower
03-12-2011, 06:35 PM
My brother was in prison. I wish he could vote.

Yet still. Isn't that the point of prison?

I am not saying if it's right or wrong for every incarcerated person mind you.

As I am sure the fellows wrongly accused who had to fight for their freedom would have loved to have a 'word or two', to put it nicely.

Kind of like the point of going to Denny's is to get intestinal upset. It doesn't make it right, but you know thats going to happen.

fullbleed
03-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Not what I'm saying.

I have no problem with "believing" people in office.

I have a problem with people who want to get in office, or try to because they want to change things based on their beliefs, and not what is best for everyone else.

I understand better, fair enough anyone can have alterior motives.

as i've mentioned here before, i was raised in a strict christian house. don't assume i judge people just because of what they believe. how they act on those beliefs is what matters. people who are so motivated by their faith to try to force that on others through any means should not be in a position to do so. trying to pass laws that are unconstitutional because "the people are sinning" is unconstitutional and goes against the freedom of religion this country was founded on

Sorry I don't have intimate knowledge of everyone on cosplay.com

I was quite pissed off by your tone because "get the damned churchgoers out of office!" felt like an unfair attack on Christianity. That's what I saw and thats how I responded.

I see what your saying now though, and I respect your opinion and apologise for anything I've said.

Rose of Battle
03-13-2011, 10:17 PM
My state (MD) almost passed a bill for legalizing same-sex marriage.

And then people backed out last minute and it didn't pass. =/ I think that's the most recent politics thing that's really made me pissed off.

x-Steffi-x
03-14-2011, 03:02 AM
Over crowded prisons, EU leigislature? That probably why this is happening, softening of law that is, you then go into a tangent about broken Britian and I sort of lost you there.

I never understood all of those people who wanted Britain out of the EU before, probably because most of those people were BNP or UKIP and were either racists or light racists. But now that we're being forced to give the vote to people in prison because of human rights violations... hrmm. I mean there's a reason for that, anyone in prison is going to have a more vested interest in the leadership of a country surely, being at Her Majesty's pleasure? Doesn't the EU have better things to do?

Idk, I don't get the UK sometimes. I just go off in a tangent about anything lol, the sorts of things I talked about earlier have annoyed me a lot anyway so I thought I'd squeeze it all in one rant.
Human rights? What human rights? If someone committed like say, murder and went to prison for it, they've automatically deducted their rights as a person. Imho.

Lithium Flower
03-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Gonna leave this here (http://thedailywh.at/2011/03/14/worst-person-ever-of-the-day/), again.

DireKitty
03-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Gonna leave this here (http://thedailywh.at/2011/03/14/worst-person-ever-of-the-day/), again.

I can't help but laugh at that.... especially the response... and the dub step remix.

... i hope one of her professors finds this. Especially since she's in Poli Sci... OH HO HO!

A.F.S. 1984
03-14-2011, 01:57 PM

I wonder why people say that the United States has come so far from the days of Jim Crow and seperate but equal. I bet this opinion is unfortunately shared by more people than American society will admit.

toshirua3846384
03-14-2011, 02:13 PM
I wonder why people say that the United States has come so far from the days of Jim Crow and seperate but equal. I bet this opinion is unfortunately shared by more people than American society will admit.

Whats disappointing about this is that its a young women prob. in her early to mid twenties that's acting that way; and a undergrad at UCLA. Its sad that you could be college educated and young and still behave that way. But than again things like that are always out there.

sam vimes
03-14-2011, 02:22 PM

Didn't view the link yet, but we damned well have come far from the days when FBI agents were klanned up and helping with cross burnings/lynchings/church bombings.

penny_dreadful
03-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Fact is, there's still a ton of racism in this country. And, you know, other countries. It's just not usually spoken about as openly now-- and when it is, it's usually widely decried, which I think is a good sign. What's a bad sign is that it's often much harder to recognize the institutionalized attitudes towards race that are still quite prevalent but not as overt as the attitude this sensitive young lady is demonstrating.

Chipface
03-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Speaking of racists, apparently a neo-nazi group known as Combat 18 was supposed to have some kind of rally in my city on Saturday. A few anarchists and other activists showed up to counter them to only find two local white supremacists protesting fluoride in the drinking water. MSM story about it (http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/03/12/17593111.html#/news/london/2011/03/12/pf-17592961.html). And one of the protester's accounts of it (http://www.mediacoop.ca/photo/quickly-mobilizing-against-neo-nazis-london-ontario/6628). I would have gone but I ended up working the night before and had to work that night as well.

And anyone curious as to why the counter protesters masked up, neo-nazis tend to take pictures of those who oppose them so they can target them after an action. They even have 'redwatch' websites which index any information they can on anti-fascist activists.

Lithium Flower
03-14-2011, 02:42 PM
"My mom raised me to be a polite American girl....Now let me show you my titties"

A.F.S. 1984
03-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Didn't view the link yet, but we damned well have come far from the days when FBI agents were klanned up and helping with cross burnings/lynchings/church bombings.

I think that there is a difference between what people want to see and the way things really are. Society wants to see race relations improving because it provides an intangible capital to all in that society. People feel good by endorsing an ideal that people no longer are treated differently on the basis of their race, nationality, gender or gender identity. The facts may be far from this endorsed ideal, and forces may be at work to blind people to the way things really are.

sam vimes
03-14-2011, 05:47 PM
I think that there is a difference between what people want to see and the way things really are. Society wants to see race relations improving because it provides an intangible capital to all in that society. People feel good by endorsing an ideal that people no longer are treated differently on the basis of their race, nationality, gender or gender identity. The facts may be far from this endorsed ideal, and forces may be at work to blind people to the way things really are.

What part of "the federal government is no longer taking part in murdering black people" don't you understand?

A.F.S. 1984
03-14-2011, 06:03 PM
What part of "the federal government is no longer taking part in murdering black people" don't you understand?

Maybe not in the overt way that things used to occur. But that which occured openly and with government endorsement in the past now occurs under a different guise. When you say that the federal government is no longer taking part in murdering people that would be a logical conclusion upon first examining the widely available information sources such as TV, the internet and the newspaper. But information that is not as widely known states that minorities, (including blacks) are over represented in the criminal justice system (death row included) in relation to the percentage they represent in the free population. Where society relied on unofficial actions such as lynchings to maintain a status quo in race relations back then it has now resorted to using the system to achieve that goal.

sam vimes
03-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Maybe not in the overt way that things used to occur. But that which occured openly and with government endorsement in the past now occurs under a different guise. When you say that the federal government is no longer taking part in murdering people that would be a logical conclusion upon first examining the widely available information sources such as TV, the internet and the newspaper. But information that is not as widely known states that minorities, (including blacks) are over represented in the criminal justice system (death row included) in relation to the percentage they represent in the free population. Where society relied on unofficial actions such as lynchings to maintain a status quo in race relations back then it has now resorted to using the system to achieve that goal.

Point.

It's still the lesser of two evils, and it will hopefully continue to get better.

A.F.S. 1984
03-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Point.

It's still the lesser of two evils, and it will hopefully continue to get better.

Agreed.

sam vimes
03-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Agreed.

Well, given the psychological makeup of J. Edgar Hoover, the Justice Department's policies concerning black Americans was bound to improve when that fussbudget motherfucker was six feet under.

The Hag
03-15-2011, 07:29 AM
As someone who is mixed race, female and old, I can attest to the fact that things have indeed gotten much better. One sign of progress is that this particular video is being widely ridiculed. UCLA officials released the standard statement of "This goes completely against all that we stand for (so any rich Asians out there, please keep sending your kids and money our way because the state of California is dead broke.)" Which, regardless of their motivation, is better than saying nothing or saying, "We stand firmly behind our student's first amendment right to be a douchebag!"

Nevertheless, it's also true that however much better things are now than they were 40, or even 20 years ago, they are still fucked up enough to be getting on with. There are still racists who claim that they are simply "pro-American" and misogynists and homophobes who claim they are just "pro-family".

Nathus Dorkus
03-15-2011, 08:18 AM
"My mom raised me to be a polite American girl....Now let me show you my titties"

To be fair, it's probably the only way she can get people to listen to her in the first place.

Lithium Flower
03-15-2011, 08:44 AM
To be fair, it's probably the only way she can get people to listen to her in the first place.

See it works the opposite for me.

(http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2324369/)"....And thats why the state of country is behind in both innovation and common sense..Boyfriend?"

"So....bouncy.......sorry what Emmers?"

sam vimes
03-15-2011, 09:01 AM

(http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2324369/)"....And thats why the state of country is behind in both innovation and common sense..Boyfriend?"

"So....bouncy.......sorry what Emmers?"

You must send your boyfriend to me and I will teach him to master the distraction of the breast.

Lithium Flower
03-15-2011, 09:09 AM
You must send your boyfriend to me and I will teach him to master the distraction of the breast.

I don't think that ones possible.

He's a comic collector,gamer, nerdo, cosplayer, and comic artist...his life is basically breasticles.

Nathus Dorkus
03-15-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm gay, and even I get distracted. <:I

I used to go to college with a very well-endowed, short girl who once kept trying to get me to look at a massive scar she had.. However, it was near-by her chest, and I could not stop staring. D:>

[/Off topic]

Lithium Flower
03-15-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm gay, and even I get distracted. <:I

I used to go to college with a very well-endowed, short girl who once kept trying to get me to look at a massive scar she had.. However, it was near-by her chest, and I could not stop staring. D:>

[/Off topic]

I think boobs and politics go hand in hand.

zing

Kildread
03-15-2011, 11:05 AM
I think boobs and politics go hand in hand.

zing

Anything goes well hand-to-breast.

(From where did that subject sprout from?)

Lithium Flower
03-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Anything goes well hand-to-breast.

(From where did that subject sprout from?)

From this:

"So....bouncy.......sorry what Emmers?"You must send your boyfriend to me and I will teach him to master the distraction of the breast.

penny_dreadful
03-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Breasts really are the only thing that could derail a politics thread to such an extent. Such a wonderful, soft, smooshy, bouncy extent.

This story (http://news.change.org/stories/pregnant-iowa-woman-arrested-for-falling-down) is over a year old, but for some reason it exploded all over the internet yesterday as people got all indignant all over again. I only saw the same article copied and pasted to different pro-choice, left-leaning sites, without any reports on it from other venues until I did a little more digging.

I'd also like to point out that the personnel at the hospital would have been in compliance with HIPAA privacy laws (http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/faq/disclosures_for_law_enforcement_purposes/505.html) when they reported it to police, provided Taylor actually admitted she'd tried to terminate the pregnancy herself rather than just having thought about it.

Lithium Flower
03-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Breasts really are the only thing that could derail a politics thread to such an extent. Such a wonderful, soft, smooshy, bouncy extent.

This story (http://news.change.org/stories/pregnant-iowa-woman-arrested-for-falling-down) is over a year old, but for some reason it exploded all over the internet yesterday as people got all indignant all over again. I only saw the same article copied and pasted to different pro-choice, left-leaning sites, without any reports on it from other venues until I did a little more digging.

I'd also like to point out that the personnel at the hospital would have been in compliance with HIPAA privacy laws (http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/faq/disclosures_for_law_enforcement_purposes/505.html) when they reported it to police, provided Taylor actually admitted she'd tried to terminate the pregnancy herself rather than just having thought about it.

Breasts have their place in politics too you know!
For example: Breast feeding in public, women can show their breasts only in a form of protest that they aren't free to show their breasts the way a man can go shirtless at a beach, breasts being given a social stigma as having some kind of dirty and perverse nature simply by existing on a woman (moobs do not count), society and its love-hate relationship with the wonder globes. SEE THATS KINDA POLITICS.

So here's just a hilarious clip from Penn and Teller. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueX-ZQi5yl0) WARNING. THAR BE BOOBIES.

So. Lady faints.
Actively goes to check on her babeh.
Gets jailed for at some time in her life thinking of getting an abortion.

Wuu?
I've thought about abortion and adoption options and I've never even be pregnant.

rubyspitfire
03-15-2011, 01:09 PM

she has a point if you remove "asians" and insert "noisy rude people". also, i know you live in socal but PUT SOME DAMN CLOTHES ON GIRL! i don't need to be distracted by your funbags either

i don't understand these doctors. every woman knows that if you want a home abortion, use a straightened coat hanger. don't risk breaking every bone in your body by throwing yourself down a flight of stairs, especially when you already have two other kids to care for /sarcasm

also, second vs third trimester... wtf? if you're going to have laws that protect the unborn then protect ALL unborn, not this technicality bs. either it's alive, or it's not. it doesn't just miraculously "become" a life halfway through the pregnancy

penny_dreadful
03-15-2011, 01:46 PM
also, second vs third trimester... wtf? if you're going to have laws that protect the unborn then protect ALL unborn, not this technicality bs. either it's alive, or it's not. it doesn't just miraculously "become" a life halfway through the pregnancy

It doesn't magically become "alive" and "human" all of a sudden, but there is an issue of whether or not the fetus is viable outside the womb. Mileage may vary, but usually a baby born prior to the third trimester has way lower chances of survival than a baby born after that point.

The Hag
03-15-2011, 02:01 PM
she has a point if you remove "asians" and insert "noisy rude people".

Agreed. She's apologized (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/15/alexandra-wallace-receive_n_835949.html). I accept it. IMO, the real lesson to be learned from Ms. Wallace (and Nir Rosen and Haley Barbour's press secretary and many many others) is to think twice before putting lame shit out there on the internet. Just because Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Tumblr, etc. exist doesn't mean that it's necessary to expose the rest of the world to every passing brain fart. And if someone chooses to do so - well, yeah, good luck with that, because cyberspace is forever. Just ask Rick Santorum!

A.F.S. 1984
03-15-2011, 02:05 PM
So here's just a hilarious clip from Penn and Teller. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueX-ZQi5yl0) WARNING. THAR BE BOOBIES.

Penn and Teller= awesome!

I believe I would totally support them if they decided to go into politics.

toshirua3846384
03-15-2011, 02:54 PM

Lol Pen & Teller definitely are the shit, i hope they come out with more seasons, because right now i only have 1-7 > x <".

ashelia89
03-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Because this needs to be seen...BADLY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnLmWHKK4TY&feature=related

A.F.S. 1984
03-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Because this needs to be seen...BADLY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnLmWHKK4TY&feature=related

Becareful... Before you take this for truth, please realize that they are furthering agendas by not telling the other side of the story. There can be multiple truths in politics.

Truth is relative.

ashelia89
03-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Hey A.F.S ,I'll explain myself as to why I posted the link to the video,I believe there's a lot of people out there *obviously I'm not complaining about any users here because there exists a politics thread here* but I'm wondering if anyone else feels as I do and sees how there's a wide disregard for politics and economics in our youth.

Over at my face book I had put up some links to speeches like Bill Moyers' "Welcome to Plutocracy" and other links about corporate media and got bashed by an extended family member,and of course the more surprising one that being overseas here with my husband in the military,a vast majority of people aren't even aware of the suffering Japan is under right now.

It leaves me to wonder,WHAT ARE PEOPLE DOING ?

Flora88
03-16-2011, 04:27 PM

Sadly, this. (http://cdn.buzznet.com/media-cdn/jj1/headlines/2009/12/jersey-shore-ratings.jpg)

sam vimes
03-16-2011, 04:38 PM
And this (http://2halfmen.com/).

DireKitty
03-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Hey A.F.S ,I'll explain myself as to why I posted the link to the video,I believe there's a lot of people out there *obviously I'm not complaining about any users here because there exists a politics thread here* but I'm wondering if anyone else feels as I do and sees how there's a wide disregard for politics and economics in our youth.

Over at my face book I had put up some links to speeches like Bill Moyers' "Welcome to Plutocracy" and other links about corporate media and got bashed by an extended family member,and of course the more surprising one that being overseas here with my husband in the military,a vast majority of people aren't even aware of the suffering Japan is under right now.

I found most of the video to be "meh" but the part that made me do a double take is when they asked "Why did you vote for Obama" and there was a lot "Uhhh...dur..."

I did appreciate the one guy saying he would look up the troop business himself... instead of buying whatever those guys said. There's multiple sides of every situation and you can't make choices without considering the ramifications of them.

HomeDepot
03-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Hurray for feminist boyfriends who find me gems like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmQhCWfXu2o

Sorry if this was already posted. I looked back a few pages and didn't see it.

Volnixshin
03-16-2011, 06:18 PM

I enjoyed this

ashelia89
03-16-2011, 06:59 PM
@ DireKitty :) ,oh research is always important ! I'm not trying to pass off the video as a total judgment call on any side of politics but more on the lack of education about politics and economics that people don't seem to have...that's what really scares me >.>

ADD TO POST from other thread:

Well I tried to introduce some politics and current events but people bitched about it, and it all got shoved into one thread thats now buried under all the funny threads.

yea I saw that ! :( *kudos to ya on that by the way for being brave enough to bring them to light* I was actually intrigued to see a fellow cos.com user address issues of political matter here ,at the time I had posted that most stuff here is meant to be light hearted,but in light and in circumstance of the events going around in the world,maybe its NOT a bad idea to address pressing issues and getting public opinion on the matter...

lollydove
03-16-2011, 09:38 PM
I hate our prime minister here in Australia. e_o;; Julia Gillard's horrible...
LOL actually, I was watching this video on YouTube that this mum filmed, this toddler had a Princess Fiona toy from Shrek and the mum asked, "Who's that?" The toddler replied with, "Julia Gillard!" Haha.

nannyogg
03-16-2011, 10:10 PM
...on the lack of education about politics and economics that people don't seem to have...that's what really scares me >.>

A friend of mine recommended this (http://www.amazon.com/Dumbth-Ways-Make-Americans-Smarter/dp/0879756500) book to me a year or two ago and it really hit home, about how so many people just don't even think about stuff. Or maybe can't. It's a 20 year old book, but very apropos. Apparently there's a newer, revised version, but I haven't read that (http://www.amazon.com/Dumbth-Thinking-Reason-Better-Improve/dp/1573922374)yet.

rubyspitfire
03-16-2011, 10:33 PM

LOL thank you!

Flora88
03-16-2011, 11:47 PM
I hate our prime minister here in Australia. e_o;; Julia Gillard's horrible...
LOL actually, I was watching this video on YouTube that this mum filmed, this toddler had a Princess Fiona toy from Shrek and the mum asked, "Who's that?" The toddler replied with, "Julia Gillard!" Haha.

*Is an American and has no idea about Aussie politics.*
I heard she was popular. What's up?

lollydove
03-17-2011, 05:01 AM
*Is an American and has no idea about Aussie politics.*
I heard she was popular. What's up?

...No. Everyone hates her.
Oh god she's awful. She's one of those cardboard politicians who shows no emotion (lol during the floods in Australia people were in a "stfu" mood to her) and she's spending about $20 billion on some broadband crap that'll be outdated as soon as it's finished anyway and some other tax crap.
Problem is, we got her because the other person running for PM was Tony Abbott and everyone hates him even more... so we los anyway in the end.
God I miss Kevin Rudd.
feelsannoyedman.jpg

ashelia89
03-17-2011, 05:46 AM
A friend of mine recommended this (http://www.amazon.com/Dumbth-Ways-Make-Americans-Smarter/dp/0879756500) book to me a year or two ago and it really hit home, about how so many people just don't even think about stuff. Or maybe can't. It's a 20 year old book, but very apropos. Apparently there's a newer, revised version, but I haven't read that (http://www.amazon.com/Dumbth-Thinking-Reason-Better-Improve/dp/1573922374)yet.

Hey this looks like a great find ! thanks for posting :) ,I shall see about getting this to have a read at it !

this is a speech by Bill Moyers titled "Welcome to Plutocracy"

http://www.truth-out.org/bill-moyers-money-fights-hard-and-it-fights-dirty64766

if anyone wants to have a read and check it out ! let me know your thoughts on it :)

The Hag
03-17-2011, 07:20 AM
And it doesn't help when you have a member of Congress, who is always going on and on about Liberty and Our Founding Fathers, and yet thinks that the Battle of Lexington and Concord was fought in NEW HAMPSHIRE (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51179.html). -_-;

Flora88
03-17-2011, 10:19 AM
...No. Everyone hates her.
Oh god she's awful. She's one of those cardboard politicians who shows no emotion (lol during the floods in Australia people were in a "stfu" mood to her) and she's spending about $20 billion on some broadband crap that'll be outdated as soon as it's finished anyway and some other tax crap.
Problem is, we got her because the other person running for PM was Tony Abbott and everyone hates him even more... so we los anyway in the end.
God I miss Kevin Rudd.
feelsannoyedman.jpg

Whoa, that does suck. I'm sorry y'all's first female prime minister was a bust. :(

Flora88
03-17-2011, 10:20 AM
And it doesn't help when you have a member of Congress, who is always going on and on about Liberty and Our Founding Fathers, and yet thinks that the Battle of Lexington and Concord was fought in NEW HAMPSHIRE (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51179.html). -_-;

Omigod, I saw that. I face-palmed. Seriously. Basic mastery of Revolutionary War History shouldn't be that much to ask from an American congressperson. >_<

penny_dreadful
03-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Omigod, I saw that. I face-palmed. Seriously. Basic mastery of Revolutionary War History shouldn't be that much to ask from an American congressperson. >_<

Even I know that much, and I suck ass at American history. Maybe she's too busy being a devoted stay-at-home mom to her five kids (despite being in Congress and constantly on the road, etc, that's the magic of Michelle Bachmann) to remember really elementary facts about our war for independence.

Lithium Flower
03-17-2011, 11:00 AM
When I was a wee little child we skimmed over most of what was in our History text books, didn't really learn anything and where made to memorize some basic dates then forget them for the next test.

LEARNING IS POWER

penny_dreadful
03-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Not politics per se, but: to hell with you, Citibank (http://dealbreaker.com/2010/09/citi-advocates-that-female-employees-do-not-sit-with-their-legs-crossed-but-rather-spread-eagle-with-their-balls-hanging-out/).

rubyspitfire
03-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Not politics per se, but: to hell with you, Citibank (http://dealbreaker.com/2010/09/citi-advocates-that-female-employees-do-not-sit-with-their-legs-crossed-but-rather-spread-eagle-with-their-balls-hanging-out/).

i do none of those things. apparently i would make a killer office exec... too bad i hate desk jobs and the stress and drama that goes with them

"women sit demurely- the power position when seated at a table is forearms resting on a table and resting forward."

i guess they've never seen this (http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/images-9/sharon-stone-basic-instinct.jpg). yeah, it's obscenely sexy, but also the first thing i think of when i hear "powerful woman"

nannyogg
03-17-2011, 07:21 PM

Apparently whatever prick wrote that never read this (http://www.amazon.com/You-Just-Dont-Understand-Conversation/dp/0060959622). The research presented toward the end of the book shows why even when women do all "the right things" (aka, behave like men), they are still at a disadvantage.

penny_dreadful
03-17-2011, 07:36 PM
The research presented toward the end of the book shows why even when women do all "the right things" (aka, behave like men), they are still at a disadvantage.

Pretty much. Act like a woman, you're being too womanly. Act like a man, jeez, why you gotta try and act all manly? You're not fooling anyone, go make a sandwich.

I read something else today where a woman asked how to get men to stop ogling her, and was basically told by a panel of three male "experts" that that's just the way men are, so she should either try to be uglier or just deal with it.

Consistently women are given the message that their voices do not matter, the way they are is stupid and wrong, and that they should change, but men will never bother to amend their ways when their actions disrespect or disregard women.

sam vimes
03-17-2011, 07:40 PM
To be fair, there is a difference between ogling and glancing.

penny_dreadful
03-17-2011, 07:43 PM
To be fair, there is a difference between ogling and glancing.

Yeah, there is. Everybody glances. We like looking at attractive people-- big surprise! That doesn't mean we have to stare at them and make them feel uncomfortable, and then tell them, when we do, it's their fault for being too hot.

Kildread
03-17-2011, 07:45 PM

Wow, that's grade A bullshit right there.

then again, all my interactions with CitiBank has been limited to them calling me to hoax me into signing up for credit cards, loans and other crap I don't even need. If anything was learned from it, it's that the company strives on BS.

Lithium Flower
03-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Wow, that's grade A bullshit right there.

then again, all my interactions with CitiBank has been limited to them calling me to hoax me into signing up for credit cards, loans and other crap I don't even need. If anything was learned from it, it's that the company strives on BS.

Is it funny or sad that those ten bullet points come from a book written by a woman?

sam vimes
03-17-2011, 07:56 PM

The first thing I saw upon clicking the link was the notion that "women tend to be more naive."

Given that I'm married to who I'm married to, I can be excused for choking on my Guinness.

nannyogg
03-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Pretty much. Act like a woman, you're being too womanly. Act like a man, jeez, why you gotta try and act all manly? You're not fooling anyone, go make a sandwich.

I read something else today where a woman asked how to get men to stop ogling her, and was basically told by a panel of three male "experts" that that's just the way men are, so she should either try to be uglier or just deal with it.

Consistently women are given the message that their voices do not matter, the way they are is stupid and wrong, and that they should change, but men will never bother to amend their ways when their actions disrespect or disregard women.

That's pretty much what Tannen documents. Here's (http://www9.georgetown.edu/faculty/tannend/sandbox.htm) a good article on communication in the workplace.

Kildread
03-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Is it funny or sad that those ten bullet points come from a book written by a woman?

Amusing. Those bullet points make it seem like that woman thought that acting in the same manner men meant getting ahead in the business world.

Personally, I know men who do the 'sorry' thing too, that speak last (or do everything in their power not to have to speak at all) --- the majority of those things she lists as what 'women typically do' aren't really only done by women.

DireKitty
03-17-2011, 08:19 PM

Indeed. If you act more dominant or assertive, like a man, you are a bitch.

But to be fair, the list didn't say not to cross your legs... just to look more assertive by leaning forward at the desk... likely to expose some cleavage. Once the man is entranced, make demands, if you catch him unawares, he should agree... it's a trap!

A.F.S. 1984
03-17-2011, 09:46 PM

THIS. And it seems not just any woman. She has made a career out of driving a stake in between the sexes. Several books she authored are on the New York times bestseller list. I tried looking up to see if I could verify any of her resume and all that was out there seemed self produced on her website.

What would make the situation even more sad with citibank is if a woman is responsible for posting this in the human resources department. I would like to think not but there is not enough information to be sure. And I don't think that there will ever be. I bet they made this thing quitely disappear after someone called them on it.

Lithium Flower
03-17-2011, 10:07 PM
THIS. And it seems not just any woman. She has made a career out of driving a stake in between the sexes. Several books she authored are on the New York times bestseller list. I tried looking up to see if I could verify any of her resume and all that was out there seemed self produced on her website.

Reverse womens rights? Hooraaaaaaaah?

I don't even...

Miyabi-
03-17-2011, 10:56 PM
I read that and well,..I normally don't like using this kind of language towards fellow women but...

What a twatwaffle.

Volnixshin
03-18-2011, 12:23 AM
I read that and well,..I normally don't like using this kind of language towards fellow women but...

What a twatwaffle.

I am using this language from now on.

Another word from this forum: Douchecanoe

Flora88
03-18-2011, 12:37 AM
*reads Citibank article*

What the...?

*Shakes head.*

It's really sad that a good deal of the misogyny I encounter on an everyday basis comes from other women.

Nathus Dorkus
03-18-2011, 03:07 AM
Silly women and their inappropriate smiles.

The Hag
03-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Yeah, there is. Everybody glances. We like looking at attractive people-- big surprise! That doesn't mean we have to stare at them and make them feel uncomfortable, and then tell them, when we do, it's their fault for being too hot.

True story from a guy I know. One day he was in the cafeteria, standing in line to pay for his food. All of a sudden, he got this really creeped-out feeling. He looked around and every single man in the room was staring at him. He was like, "OMG - did I just walk into a Mafia meeting? Is there a guy with a gun behind me about to shoot me?" He looked back over his shoulder. The person behind him was not a man with a gun, but a drop-dead gorgeous woman. No one was staring at him. They were all staring at her. And he realized that he only had to deal with the creeped-out feeling for a few seconds. This poor woman had to deal with it every single goddamn day, no matter where she went, no matter how she was dressed. Yes, we are always going to notice attractive people. But in the words of Jerry Seinfeld, "It's like looking into the sun! You don't stare directly! You sneak a peek!"

DireKitty
03-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Imagine being a male poodle at a dog show. You can't look like a male with all that frou frou hair and little fluffy balls all over you. :(

Lithium Flower
03-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Not exactly politics. But I am sure it will get the thread going again.

http://cheezfailbooking.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/funny-facebook-fails-hate-priceless.jpg

rubyspitfire
03-19-2011, 01:33 PM

that actually made me laugh, but not for the obvious reason

Lithium Flower
03-19-2011, 01:36 PM
that actually made me laugh, but not for the obvious reason

Dare I ask..

rubyspitfire
03-19-2011, 01:46 PM
just how ignorant the "dad" is for posting something like that. it sounds like something the people in my town would say

A.F.S. 1984
03-19-2011, 08:20 PM

http://cheezfailbooking.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/funny-facebook-fails-hate-priceless.jpg

Failbook is one of the main reasons I cancelled my main facebook account.

EDIT: Other than the one I keep for my writing.

DireKitty
03-19-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm hoping that was a really bad joke.

A.F.S. 1984
03-19-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm hoping that was a really bad joke.

The fact that I cancelled my facebook or the fact that I write?

Kildread
03-19-2011, 08:26 PM
The fact that I cancelled my facebook or the fact that I write?

Both? :p

Kidding --- pretty sure she was talking about the content of the failbook screenshot and not your own comment.

(Why would you close your main account because of failbook? You post statuses/have people on your friends list that make it so you could easily end u pthere?)

A.F.S. 1984
03-19-2011, 08:49 PM

Kidding --- pretty sure she was talking about the content of the failbook screenshot and not your own comment.

(Why would you close your main account because of failbook? You post statuses/have people on your friends list that make it so you could easily end u pthere?)

I didnt really do the update thing all that much. Dont get me wrong I believe facebook is a great tool but I think that it may have taken a darker tint in the present. I believe it is equivalant to reality tv in being a guilty pleasure that people indulge in. Unlike reality tv though (I think), facebook has caused death.

Shana05
03-19-2011, 09:01 PM

This is what led to me quitting my job and the worst part was that my bosses who sent this message were women.

DireKitty
03-19-2011, 09:04 PM

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

sam vimes
03-21-2011, 02:36 PM
The man awarded the Nobel Prize in 2009 is currently bombing the former head of the UN Human Rights Commission, who has been slaughtering his own people for weeks.

Classic.

Chipface
03-21-2011, 03:31 PM
I still think Paul Rusesabagina should have won the Nobel Prize instead of Obama.

Amanita
03-21-2011, 05:50 PM
About the whole business of how some of the worst misogyny comes from women, I was reading a post recently, I believe it was something linked to from angryblackwoman.com.
The OP talked about the disgusting sexual harrassment she encountered on a daily basis.
For the record, she mentioned she was pretty, and the so called "pretty privelege" which went with that.

I couldn't believe some of the comments. Nasty, snarky comments made about her looks- how dare a "pretty" or "priveleged" person complain? How dare somebody on the upside of things come out and say that it's not all wonderful, and it has its sucky sides? There were even hateful comments about users of public transit, and how anyone who doesn't like being sexually harrassed on a daily basis should use the money from their "grown-up job" on cab fare to and from work each day.
And most of this crap was coming from other women.

Rather than recognize how much sexism hurts everyone (not just pretty people, and not just women), many of the people in that discussion just tore each other down. Sad.

rubyspitfire
03-21-2011, 09:55 PM
@Amanita: i have found that a lot of people with the "victim mentality" end up taking actions that only hurt themselves. it isn't just in politics

penny_dreadful
03-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Starbucks is a small community-based company, health reform kills jobs (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/03/22/959014/-Boehner:-Starbucks-is-a-small-business,-proves-health-reform-is-a-job-killer). And if you buy that, there's a bridge I'd like to sell you.

ShinobiXikyu
03-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Wow. That is just one reason that I won't even walk into a Starbucks, much less buy their overpriced swill.

Lithium Flower
03-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Lol I applied at a Starbucks recently because I heard they had good health care.

/snarf/

ShinobiXikyu
03-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Wouldn't make a difference in Canada, since we have universal health care... (also, the US's complete and utter refusal to make health care actually accesible to people is one of my biggest pisseries. For fuck's sake, people living in COMMUNIST DICTATORSHIPS are better able to get actual medical treatment...)

Lithium Flower
03-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Wouldn't make a difference in Canada, since we have universal health care... (also, the US's complete and utter refusal to make health care actually accesible to people is one of my biggest pisseries. For fuck's sake, people living in COMMUNIST DICTATORSHIPS are better able to get actual medical treatment...)

That's what so many people in the U.S use against Universal Health Care. Because they say they don't want to be 'like the communists' or some-shit.

ShinobiXikyu
03-22-2011, 04:53 PM
And yet pointing them up North to Canada, a first-world democracy with universal health care, and western Europe, all first-world democracies with universal health care, and Japan, first-world democracy with universal health care won't prove that otherwise.... (And hell, Canada's is CRAP compared to many of the other countries I mentioned. But I can be guaranteed that if I'm injured or sick and need medical attention, it's not going to cost me anything at all (except for if I have to buy a prescription. Since I don't have a drug plan/Dad's won't cover me.).

Kildread
03-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Pretty sure it's because people in general do not want to pay for other folks.

Universal health care here is nice, practical and there when I need it.

However, I still cringe when I think part of the money taken out of my paycheck every 2 weeks goes to support the cancers that do not work in this area of the city and smoke all day. And it goes to cover their medical treatment and clog up the lines for treatments because while I'm at the office working, they're sitting in the medical office waiting for 3 hours.

...I've used extreme examples, but it's that kind of reality I'm fairly sure is hard to stomach for a lot of people in the US.

ShinobiXikyu
03-22-2011, 05:10 PM
...but then in the long term, having a nation of sick people who can't keep up with the rest of the world due to lack of billionare bucks to just simply be healthy?... i sure don't see the sense in that. Not having universal healthcare is something like saying "Medical care is NOT a human right, it's a PRIVILEGE, and you're not rich so you can't have it".

If it weren't for U.H.C., my dad would probably have been killed by severe hypothyroidism, and I'd be in shit shape too.

sam vimes
03-22-2011, 05:13 PM
some-shit.

Off topic, but I giggled wildly at this.

Kildread
03-22-2011, 05:17 PM
...but then in the long term, having a nation of sick people who can't keep up with the rest of the world due to lack of billionare bucks to just simply be healthy?... i sure don't see the sense in that.

You're asking a race of selfish sacks of meat to take away part of their work rewards to help other sacks of meat. Even if the idea is practical for people out there and will even come to help those complaining, it still stops at the stage of "You're taking money out of my paycheck" when it's presented.

Something that will likely never change. :sulk:

ashelia89
03-22-2011, 05:19 PM
You're asking a race of selfish sacks of meat to take away part of their work rewards to help other sacks of meat. Even if the idea is practical for people out there and will even come to help those complaining, it still stops at the stage of "You're taking money out of my paycheck" when it's presented.

Something that will likely never change. :sulk:

Not just that it's "you're taking money out of my paycheck and we're in a recession... and I have no idea what the Federal Reserve is or who Chairman Bernanke is for that matter" :waaaah:

penny_dreadful
03-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Pretty sure it's because people in general do not want to pay for other folks.

Universal health care here is nice, practical and there when I need it.

However, I still cringe when I think part of the money taken out of my paycheck every 2 weeks goes to support the cancers that do not work in this area of the city and smoke all day. And it goes to cover their medical treatment and clog up the lines for treatments because while I'm at the office working, they're sitting in the medical office waiting for 3 hours.

...I've used extreme examples, but it's that kind of reality I'm fairly sure is hard to stomach for a lot of people in the US.

Problem is, while there are inevitably people who scam the system-- every system, everywhere-- they're typically a very small minority. The more conservatively-hearted among us keep insisting that public aid programs are supporting lazy, shiftless, immoral drug addicts (which usually translates to minorities and/or single mothers), but most of the people receiving real benefit from these programs are decent folk who don't have the opportunities the rest of us do.

Having lived without insurance (thankfully, I'm a pretty healthy person overall), I know how fortunate I am to have gotten a job that provides me and my family with affordable health coverage. Now I very frequently see students who aren't insured, for whom a trip to the ER can be a devastating blow to their finances. Some people have even had to drop out of school because they need to work enough hours just to cover hospital bills or pay for medications. We just had a campus employee who had been unemployed for a while before coming here, lost the insurance that covered his medication, and then wound up losing his job again before health coverage could kick in because the lack of meds led to debilitating seizures. Seeing that sort of thing breaks my heart, especially knowing it doesn't have to be that way in this country.

ShinobiXikyu
03-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I'd debate the "I'm losing money!" argument by saying "Well then, you can kiss public services like Police, EMTs, Firefighters, government aid, public schools, and libraries goodbye, if you don't want to pay for anything." If people don't want universal health care, well, let's not stop there, let's get rid of EVERYTHING that'd take money from your paycheque... should I throw in "You capitalist pig-dogs?" Deduction-wise, I've never seen anything remotely close to "taking too much money out of my paycheque". I can't even figure out what teeny percentage it is with my salary... (and mine's benefitless, so it's the bare basics of EI, taxes and RRSP)

Kildread
03-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Problem is, while there are inevitably people who scam the system-- every system, everywhere-- they're typically a very small minority. The more conservatively-hearted among us keep insisting that public aid programs are supporting lazy, shiftless, immoral drug addicts (which usually translates to minorities and/or single mothers), but most of the people receiving real benefit from these programs are decent folk who don't have the opportunities the rest of us do.

That's totally true --- and me (like the rest of human beings) focus on the bad ones than the ones who need it.

Chances are I've crossed paths with multiple people who benefit from those systems without even noticing, thinking it only applies to the unshaved wastes of skin who've been hanging out the local McDonalds smoking cigarette butts every day of the week (I've worked the same job, walked the same path the past 5 years and they are *always* there at any hour of the day, smoking, talking, getting a small coffee from McDos now and again).

It's those I notice, the other ones, I wouldn't even know they exist unless they told me outright.

Lithium Flower
03-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Off topic, but I giggled wildly at this.

It has been...a red dawn..

DireKitty
03-22-2011, 08:37 PM
I wish our system was like Sweden's. A public system that everyone pays into, and a system where those can afford to pay can use. Plus we need a bunch of auditors to rip apart our public system and find where all the money is going...and also cover more drugs.

ShinobiXikyu
03-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Yeah. I'm not saying Canada's is remotely close to perfect (I envy Sweden's, too. Their system is legendary...). But it's a hell of alot better than no universal health care.

DireKitty
03-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Yeah. I'm not saying Canada's is remotely close to perfect (I envy Sweden's, too. Their system is legendary...). But it's a hell of alot better than no universal health care.

For some reason I thought "what would life be like without universal health care?" ... suddenly i was a cave women with a sharp stick gesturing wildly at an injured cave dude (not sure if that was my fault...).

... and then we were helping him out (guess the sharp stick wasn't to blame...).

... so somehow things went back to universal health care.

Flora88
03-22-2011, 09:05 PM
For some reason I thought "what would life be like without universal health care?" ... suddenly i was a cave women with a sharp stick gesturing wildly at an injured cave dude (not sure if that was my fault...).

... and then we were helping him out (guess the sharp stick wasn't to blame...).

... so somehow things went back to universal health care.

Sounds pretty accurate to me.

DireKitty
03-23-2011, 07:29 AM
So the NDP turned the budget down today. Looks like we will go back to the polls... which is something i'm not looking forward to.

The NDP really are just hoping for more seats, instead of trying to compromise. Instead we will likely end up with another minority government....

Chipface
03-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Or that majority Harper has been itching for, which is a very scary thought.

DireKitty
03-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Or that majority Harper has been itching for, which is a very scary thought.

I don't think he's capable of netting a majority, which is sad considering he's up against a party that will never win (NDP) and... Ignatiff... it's like the Liberals don't WANT to win. I mean Dion...and now him.

rubyspitfire
03-23-2011, 01:23 PM
universal health care would work here if the government spent money a little more responsibly

DireKitty
03-23-2011, 01:31 PM
universal health care would work here if the government spent money a little more responsibly

...ours doesn't.

*grins*

Kildread
03-23-2011, 06:31 PM
...ours doesn't.

*grins*

Do they ever?

DireKitty
03-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Do they ever?

No. The liberals are crazy too. "The Conservatives are spending to much money." "They aren't spending enough money!"

Same day, two different stories.

At least the NDP is pretty consistent on that they want to bankrupt the country.

penny_dreadful
03-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Obama's DOJ gets lax on those Miranda rights (http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2011/03/24/miranda/index.html). This guy. THIS GUY. At this point it's like he's trying to make really, really sure he alienates everyone in the country.

A.F.S. 1984
03-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Obama's DOJ gets lax on those Miranda rights (http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2011/03/24/miranda/index.html). This guy. THIS GUY. At this point it's like he's trying to make really, really sure he alienates everyone in the country.

Well I think that I can shed some light on this...

It isnt Obamas fault directly. I guess if you wanted to talk about it in star trek 6 language, he is the captain of this ship, and as captain he is responsible for the actions of his men. But if the history of the supreme court is examined carefully in terms of desicions supporting miranda and destroying miranda, there are two time periods that are important. The first time period is known as the warren court time period. During this time, protections to citizens were given and restrictions against police conduct were enforced. Due process was the word of the day.

The second time period that we are in today with the supreme court is known as the post warren court. They are undoing alot of things that the warren court worked on in terms of due process.

An easier way to think of things is Dubya was able to appoint 3 judges to the supreme court to carry out policy the way he liked it. Obama has only appointed 2.

So, to attribute the actions of 3 judges, who owe their appointments to dubya, with Obama is misleading. Not to mention the fact that the post warren court era has been in for about 20 some odd years...

sam vimes
03-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Given all his dithering over everything involving the Middle East and North Africa for the past two months, I feel completely validated in not having voted for Obama.

That is all.

FalconW
03-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Even though I'm not American, the stuff I read about the Tea Party and what they want for America kinda scares me. What they want to do if they get elected is almost on par with fascism. I also fear what they'll do if Obama or another Democrat wins next year's election.

Flora88
03-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Some Tea Party beliefs = pretty similar to facism

I know, right?
I'm skurred.

FinalEVA
03-28-2011, 05:43 PM
What they want to do if they get elected is almost on par with fascism.

They always talk small government, but they sure don't mind making it the government's business of what goes on in your private bedroom, even consensually.

I do get tired of people who claim to be libertarian (much of the tea party), but don't actually know what libertarian actually means. IMO, a government that protects religious values does not fall under libertarianism.

penny_dreadful
03-28-2011, 06:06 PM
I also fear what they'll do if Obama or another Democrat wins next year's election.

I have a distinct worry that someone is going to try to start a revolution in this country, and things are going to get violent.

I do get tired of people who claim to be libertarian (much of the tea party), but don't actually know what libertarian actually means. IMO, a government that protects religious values does not fall under libertarianism.

It really does seem like a lot of the far-right contingent has sort of co-opted the term "libertarian" and refitted it to their own specifications, which I really don't appreciate, even if I do not subscribe to libertarianism myself.

sam vimes
03-28-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't often do this,but BRB, LOLing forever. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W07bFa4TzM)

EDIT: And the comments! Oh my stars, the comments!

DireKitty
03-28-2011, 07:18 PM
I don't often do this,but BRB, LOLing forever. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W07bFa4TzM)

EDIT: And the comments! Oh my stars, the comments!

I don't get it. The whole trailer i was all "wtf". Seems like a boring movie to me.

Blah blah train derailed... blah blah needs new steel to make railway... blah blah gov says no more railways (wtf, railways rock!)... blah blah angry lady blah blah suddenly a man blah blah drives train anyways because she's bad ass?

Is this to support high speed rails? That train looked like the kind you see in Europe. I want high speed rail here! NOW!

penny_dreadful
03-28-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't get it. The whole trailer i was all "wtf". Seems like a boring movie to me.

Blah blah train derailed... blah blah needs new steel to make railway... blah blah gov says no more railways (wtf, railways rock!)... blah blah angry lady blah blah suddenly a man blah blah drives train anyways because she's bad ass?

Is this to support high speed rails? That train looked like the kind you see in Europe. I want high speed rail here! NOW!

Atlas Shrugged is the magnum opus of Ayn Rand, famed writer and creator of Objectivism. She held strong political and social views that promoted individualism, a limited government, and "ethical egoism"-- basically, the idea that it is morally right for people to look out only for their own self-interest. I think she became very popular in the anti-Communist, anti-Socialist era and her works are still taught widely in high schools and colleges. She is seeing a resurgence now with the Tea Party's calls for smaller government and "stronger rights for individuals".

sam vimes
03-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Have you ever suffered through the novel? If that isn't the case, then you know not my pain or hilarity.

Kildread
03-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Dear US fellows,

Do you really have a political party named 'Tea Party' or is it a nickname?

A canadian in search of answers.

penny_dreadful
03-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Dear US fellows,

It's not really a party, it's a political movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement), but there are currently a lot of Americans subscribing to their ideologies, and in the last elections quite a few candidates ran under Tea Party endorsement-- and quite a few of them won seats. Right now you can't actually register yourself with the Tea Party or go into a voting booth and select a Tea Party candidate, but... *sigh* who knows what the future holds?

sam vimes
03-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Dear US fellows,

No. The Tea Parties were pretty much to 2010 as the anti-war protests were to 2003; just a brief phase lazy U.S. citizens from opposite sides of the political spectrum were going through.

DireKitty
03-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Have you ever suffered through the novel? If that isn't the case, then you know not my pain or hilarity.

No. I recognize her name, but likely from some US news show.

... and afaik the tea party hasn't splintered off from the republicans, it's more or less as festering sore on their side.

DireKitty
03-28-2011, 07:55 PM
It's not really a party, it's a political movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement), but there are currently a lot of Americans subscribing to their ideologies, and in the last elections quite a few candidates ran under Tea Party endorsement-- and quite a few of them won seats. Right now you can't actually register yourself with the Tea Party or go into a voting booth and select a Tea Party candidate, but... *sigh* who knows what the future holds?

There is also now the coffee party.

Which makes me wonder... when will we get the hot chocolate party? It can sit in the middle.

Progressive socially, fiscally conservative. THE PC PARTY WILL BE REBORN IN AMERICA!

*moves down and starts party*

We used to have them in Canada, until they made a dumb move and aligned with the reform party so they could actually win an election. They got eaten up and spit out basically under the new party Canadian alliance or w/e, which then changed its name to the conservative party. I miss them.

A.F.S. 1984
03-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Dear US fellows,

Anything you want to know about teabaggers, this youtube channel will tell you:

http://www.youtube.com/user/nauiocelotl?feature=chclk

rubyspitfire
03-28-2011, 09:52 PM

Which makes me wonder... when will we get the hot chocolate party? It can sit in the middle.

Progressive socially, fiscally conservative. THE PC PARTY WILL BE REBORN IN AMERICA!

*moves down and starts party*

i would join the hot chocolate party!

penny_dreadful
03-28-2011, 10:24 PM

Progressive socially, fiscally conservative. THE PC PARTY WILL BE REBORN IN AMERICA

The coffee party barely even exists; it's more of a hipster reaction to the Tea Party that thinks it's being funny or something. I would join the Hot Chocolate Party, though, so long as their marshmallows strike a sufficient balance between crunchiness and meltiness.

Pretty certain Americans are physically incapable of grasping the notion of being socially progressive and fiscally conservative at the same time. It's like defying laws of U.S. nature, or something. You're socially and fiscally conservative, or you're socially and fiscally liberal, or you might as well go live in Canada or something, GOD.

Incidentally, while Republican politicians have run with Tea Party support, because let's face it, the U.S. operates along a two-party system, more and more Tea Partiers consider themselves libertarians (You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.) and consider the majority of Republicans too soft and wishy-washy.

The Hag
03-29-2011, 07:26 AM
I've been to a Tea Party rally. They're Republicans. They are just the far-right wing of the party. And, FYI, Misters Ron and Rand Paul, anti-choice libertarian is an oxymoron.

DireKitty
03-29-2011, 10:59 AM
The elections in Canada really bum me out. Minority governments are just way to unstable as the opposition just has too much power, and they always end up whining about everything and threatening to other-throw the government with a collation.... and then bam we are back to the polls again. Elections in the past few years? Lots...

2004, Liberals get in.... 2006 new elections due to non confidence vote provoked by a sponsorship scandal... conservatives get in... and have a minority government. A really weak one. 2008 new elections held after conservatives feel the government was ground to a halt due to lack of co-operation (liberals, NDP and the block had conspired to take over the government with a coalition, but nothing came of it... sparked an election anyways) and the conservatives win a health minority goverment. 2011... back to the polls after the liberals decide they can't wait, and throw down a non-confidence vote as well as reject the budget.

...way too many elections... been every two years since 2004...

Amanita
03-29-2011, 12:11 PM
^And on top of that, we have to put up with US-style attack ads, where all they do is trash on the other guys. United States I like you, but attack ads were one thing you really didn't need to export. Ick. Take them back, please!

penny_dreadful
03-29-2011, 06:29 PM
The Tea Party's going to have trouble maintaining credibility with fringe doodles like this (http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/03/tea-party-nation-whites-are-going-extinct) still aligning themselves with the movement.

Flora88
03-29-2011, 06:33 PM
The Tea Party's going to have trouble maintaining credibility with fringe doodles like this (http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/03/tea-party-nation-whites-are-going-extinct) still aligning themselves with the movement.

Wooooow, really? Really?

DireKitty
03-29-2011, 07:32 PM

Well, I would agree that WASP's are going extinct... but it's mainly because not many people are Protestant's anymore.

The Seventh Sea
03-30-2011, 03:07 AM
First a spat between the Phillipines and China over territories, now another one with China executing Filipino drug smugglers on the day they announced their sentence despite appeals for clemency and political concessions.

I wonder if China's execution was a reaction to Phillipines' sending of warbirds to tell them to back off their borders.

But then again I'm not good at this. Though my relatives are Filipinos it's gotten me curious.

FalconW
03-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Want to say something after reading another thread, kinda deals with politics, though more of what I call politics of humanity.

I don't quite understand what's the big deal about getting furious and mad whenever someone sits on, drags, burns, etc. a flag. To me, it's just a flag, a piece of material. If I saw someone doing one of those things to my country's flag, I wouldn't really care. Do I love my country? Of course, but I'm not going to go all ballistic on someone over a piece of material.

This is one of many reasons why I think we humans are failing as a society. We fight over the stupidest of things like who's country is better or who's god is better. And if we slightly criticize our own country's policies or actions, we get called out as being "anti-freedom", "anti-(insert nationality)" and told "If you don't like what our country does, then leave it!" What is wrong with us? We should have learned from society's past, but it seems we haven't.

DireKitty
03-30-2011, 01:56 PM
On the flag issue, it's about respect. The flag is a representation of a country, and all it stands for, it should be treated with respect. Yes, it's "just a piece of material", but so are a shit ton of other things that we don't trash.

...much like a wedding ring represents marriage and all it stands for (or should stand for)

Also, Obama's ratings hit a new low (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/president-obamas-approval-rating-hits-a-new-low)... /sadface

Seeteke
03-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Since I read 'politics', I'm just going to pop in and say what frustrates me.

The fact that Belgium doesn't have a federal government, but they can still declare war. What's up with that? /facepalm

ashelia89
03-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Not surprised about Obama's ratings going low,we still have troops in Iraq,went into Afghanistan and now in the name of "humanitarian efforts" are making our way into Libya...without even talking to congress about it.Bahrain and Yemen amongst other countries have been asking for the U.S help and need for democracy but because Libya has oil it's at our best interest to be there.

DireKitty
03-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Not surprised about Obama's ratings going low,we still have troops in Iraq,went into Afghanistan and now in the name of "humanitarian efforts" are making our way into Libya...without even talking to congress about it.Bahrain and Yemen amongst other countries have been asking for the U.S help and need for democracy but because Libya has oil it's at our best interest to be there.

Well Libya doesn't really have much oil at all, and Gaddaffi has declared all out war on it's citizens. Bahrain and Yemen haven't reached that point yet.

I think they did the right thing by going in there and stopping Gaddaffi from bombing his own people. They have the support of the Arab League if that means anything...

penny_dreadful
03-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Nebraska: We don't want women to murder their babies. We just don't want to pay to keep wanted babies alive. (http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2011/03/babies-die-nebraska-due-lack-prenatal-care)

ShinobiXikyu
03-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Sheesh. I still can't believe how backwards so many people are. That really does make NO fucking sense from either perspective. (If it hasn't been massively obvious by now, I'm pro-choice, but what I read there?) "You can't have an abortion for an unwanted or unhealthy pregnancy OR a healthy pregnancy/wanted baby..."

Naturally, I blame this on men being in charge of all the politics who have no bloody idea what women actually need and want.

penny_dreadful
03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
What it sounds like to me is: women should never be able to terminate pregnancies that are damaging to them. AT THE SAME TIME, non-white, non-citizen women who want safe and healthy pregnancies don't deserve the same respect for their bodies or their children.

If I can say one thing for the Catholic church, at least they're consistent: all life, always, for everyone (except animals, which don't have souls and God doesn't give two craps about).

(Also, Catholic hospitals have sometimes refused abortion for women with life-threatening pregnancies; this has caused women to die, and in at least one case a dissenting nun was excommunicated for saving a pregnant woman's life.)

sam vimes
03-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Penny...why are you still at work?

EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread. Perhaps this would have been best PMed.

My bust.

penny_dreadful
03-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Penny...why are you still at work?

AW CRAP I FORGOT TO GO HOME.

Lithium Flower
03-30-2011, 06:52 PM
except animals, which don't have souls and God doesn't give two craps about

http://www.quizopolis.com/funny-pictures/church.jpg

penny_dreadful
03-30-2011, 07:10 PM
http://www.quizopolis.com/funny-pictures/church.jpg

Bffff. Yeah, I think I saw that somewhere else. YMMV; I was told in Catholic school that animals didn't go to Heaven because they had no souls.

ShinobiXikyu
03-30-2011, 08:40 PM
As was I. :p Which I didn't believe. Psh. I didn't believe ANYTHING they taught me in Catholic school. I found fault with all of it. Particularly the "If you enjoy life, it's a sin. If you ever think about your OWN needs and wishes, it's a sin. If you're human, it's a sin", crap.

Chipface
03-30-2011, 09:07 PM
I was told in catholic school that having premarital sex will lands you an STD. Not banging someone with one, just having sex before marriage.

Lithium Flower
03-30-2011, 09:32 PM
I was told in catholic school that having premarital sex will lands you an STD. Not banging someone with one, just having sex before marriage.

Like marriage made the STD's go away? Lol whut?

sam vimes
03-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Obama's ratings hit a new low (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/president-obamas-approval-rating-hits-a-new-low)... /sadface

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/122010/1291664255_obama-kiks-door-open.gif

Lithium Flower
03-30-2011, 09:41 PM
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/122010/1291664255_obama-kiks-door-open.gif

DANANANANANANA O-BA-MA!

Kildread
03-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Another missive to my fellow humans from south of the border.

Is Obama doing a better or worse job than his predecessor(s)?

nannyogg
03-30-2011, 09:45 PM

It depends.

sam vimes
03-30-2011, 09:49 PM

It's like eating salmon ice cream as opposed to chalk ice cream.

nannyogg
03-30-2011, 09:54 PM
It's like eating salmon ice cream as opposed to chalk ice cream.

That is an excellent analogy.

I like that Obama actually pronounce and uses his words correctly when he speaks.

sam vimes
03-30-2011, 10:00 PM
That is an excellent analogy.

I like that Obama actually pronounce and uses his words correctly when he speaks.

Be that as it may, the phrase "Let me be clear" is starting to grate on my eardrums at an almost "nucular" level.

nannyogg
03-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Be that as it may, the phrase "Let me be clear" is starting to grate on my eardrums at an almost "nucular" level.

But if you "preserve" you can work through that problem.

A.F.S. 1984
03-30-2011, 11:25 PM
But if you "preserve" you can work through that problem.

nice

DireKitty
03-31-2011, 07:28 AM
I think his issue is that he came in, thinking everyone would work together. Instead the Republicans threw sand in his face. So... instead of pushing through everything he wanted to, he let the Republicans lolly-gag about stalling everything and whining that "people don't deserve health care off my back!"... so by the time he pushed his initiate though... it was a watered down pie. Still pie... just somewhat worthless. Then came some elections and he lost some seats and now he's forced to work with the Republicans who are throwing spitballs and pulling hair.

makotohanabi
03-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Obama gets points from me for declaring today Cesar Chavez (http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/03/30/presidential-proclamation-cesar-chavez-day) day.

Apparently the WI Republicans are trying to stop circulation of video of Rep Sean Duffy whining about the difficulties of living on $174,000/yr in Polk county, WI where he makes triple the median income.
here's the video (http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/03/gopers-demand-sean-duffy-salary-tape-be-pulled-from-the-internet.php)

Walker's Union busting campaign is not going as he planned. Husband talked to his very conservative Republican father, and FiL said he signed a petition to recall his Republican state Senator. I should also mention FiL is retired IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers).

DireKitty
03-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Do you get Cesar Chavez day off?

sam vimes
03-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Obama gets points from me for declaring today Cesar Chavez (http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/03/30/presidential-proclamation-cesar-chavez-day) day.

Apparently the WI Republicans are trying to stop circulation of video of Rep Sean Duffy whining about the difficulties of living on $174,000/yr in Polk county, WI where he makes triple the median income.
here's the video (http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/03/gopers-demand-sean-duffy-salary-tape-be-pulled-from-the-internet.php)

Walker's Union busting campaign is not going as he planned. Husband talked to his very conservative Republican father, and FiL said he signed a petition to recall his Republican state Senator. I should also mention FiL is retired IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers).

Pffffft. He should have made it last Monday of the month for a three-day-weekend.

Seriously though, that's groovy.

Shana05
03-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Bffff. Yeah, I think I saw that somewhere else. YMMV; I was told in Catholic school that animals didn't go to Heaven because they had no souls.

Heaven must really suck then.

DireKitty
03-31-2011, 03:00 PM
That flag post in General Cosplay Chat has me a bit peeved. I think a lot of kids these days lack respect for their country and its symbols.

Lithium Flower
03-31-2011, 03:10 PM
That flag post in General Cosplay Chat has me a bit peeved. I think a lot of kids these days lack respect for their country and its symbols.

my bad

ShinobiXikyu
03-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Now I feel bad for my post...(It involves Zoidberg. You probably know what it entails if it's in a flag thread...)

Lithium Flower
03-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Now I feel bad for my post...(It involves Zoidberg. You probably know what it entails if it's in a flag thread...)

I loved that episode.

Just so you know Netflix has all the Futurama seasons on instant watch >__> <___< not like I've watched them all 8 times or anything.

DireKitty
03-31-2011, 03:17 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/1/2/128753624544263250.jpg

... but Zoidburg was eating a flag for a country that doesn't really exist.

.. I forget WHY he was eating it though.

Lithium Flower
03-31-2011, 03:20 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/1/2/128753624544263250.jpg

... but Zoidburg was eating a flag for a country that doesn't really exist.

.. I forget WHY he was eating it though.

Because he loved Earth so much he got all excited and nomed it.

It made sense to him and that's all that matters.

ShinobiXikyu
03-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Heh, that does tie in with the confusion often caused by freedom of expression... make an artistic/ploticial statement by desecrating a flag and such (not saying I approve of it. Just saying, it is an example.:P)

sam vimes
03-31-2011, 03:38 PM
I see the flag thread going down the same route as the swastika thread, so I'm staying far away.

penny_dreadful
03-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Heaven must really suck then.

That's why I'm a deist now. No afterlife is worth it if there aren't any decent animal companions around.

Shana05
03-31-2011, 04:24 PM
http://unicornbooty.com/2011/03/kansas-moves-to-criminalize-homosexuality/

My state sucks so much.

DireKitty
03-31-2011, 04:30 PM
That's why I'm a deist now. No afterlife is worth it if there aren't any decent animal companions around.

Buddhism. :)

ShinobiXikyu
03-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Generally Wicca here. Which is an easier way to say, "I'll worship elements and gods/godesses of almost every non-dogmatic or pagan religion." Hinduism, Buddhism, Shintoism, Classical Greco-roman religion, ancient Egyptian, aboriginal spirituality/animism, ancient Celtic, etc.