PDA

View Full Version : Location Suggestions MD

koi-ishly
03-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Hi there =)

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a cosplay I'm planning with a friend of mine. I have some ideas as to what I'd like but finding a location is proving to be a bit harder. Below are some references.

Dead Master 1 (http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt180/koi-ishly/Cosplay%20Refs/f4c50553daab4429c01fbb6238ca4fca1efd51db.jpg)
Dead Master 2 (http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt180/koi-ishly/Cosplay%20Refs/sample_d5c1d766937da4a4231c8ddf2f770e187464c95e.jp g)
Dead Master 3 (http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt180/koi-ishly/Cosplay%20Refs/9cd03c28d7e9ae6c52c4caa8f5ed5e91f836ab85.jpg)

What I'd like to find is an abandon building... but there are so many things that could go wrong with that type of location, it's not worth it, unless I'm able to get permission. Other ideas was a gothic inspired church (not hard to research, but I'm basically a devil girl. I can foresee that going really well) and industrial sites. When I mean industrial sites, I'm not thinking of walking on a soon to be built property. I'm not trying to commit a crime here. I'd like an area that's nitty-gritty, and show's its wear.

Any help would be appreciated and any other suggestions.

KitKatCaughtcha
03-11-2011, 12:10 AM
There might be somewhere around mainstreet in Old Ellicott City, there are a lot of historical buildings there.

koi-ishly
03-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Kit, I will look into that =)

Scorpion89
04-30-2011, 12:02 PM
What part of Maryland are you looking at because I know a few different location in Bmore that might fit what your looking for

koi-ishly
04-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Scorpion- I live in the vicinity of Bmore, so it's not hard for me to get to at all.

Scorpion89
05-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Scorpion- I live in the vicinity of Bmore, so it's not hard for me to get to at all.

Okay let me ask this one Goth Church about using it for pics as for grave Yards may I suggest Loudon over the rest in the City

VKlover
05-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Ok, so I live near Ft. Meade and I actually used to live there, and there was a church we went to, and since Ft. Meade is really foresty, I thought it would be a good idea. But the church is kind of small, if you don't mind. xDD

VKlover
05-01-2011, 10:06 PM
BTW I'm gonna be cosplaying as Grell from Black Butler, and I need locations. Please, they can't be further than Odenton, Annapolis, Baltimore, Hanover, or Ft. Meade. Thanks! :D

koi-ishly
05-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Okay let me ask this one Goth Church about using it for pics as for grave Yards may I suggest Loudon over the rest in the City

Sorry for the late reply, is Loudon the name of the church?

koi-ishly
05-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Ok, so I live near Ft. Meade and I actually used to live there, and there was a church we went to, and since Ft. Meade is really foresty, I thought it would be a good idea. But the church is kind of small, if you don't mind. xDD

Is it on Ft. Meade property or outside the base? I can get to the base easily so could you give me the name of the church or the road it's on? I know the area... not very well. That way I can check it out an find it =)

Pardon the double post, I was lazy to copy and paste it all together.

VKlover
05-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Uh... Yeah, it's on Ft. Meade property. But I don't know the street. I know it's near the PX and Commissary. But I could find out tomorrow. But it's right next to a movie theater. :D I used to live in base YEARS ago, but I ended up moving out of base into Severn. :D I love Ft. Meade because it's natural and they protect the enviroment, so it's gorgeous. :D I highly reccommend it. <3 I miss living on base now! LMAO.

Scorpion89
05-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Sorry for the late reply, is Loudon the name of the church?

No it's the name of the Cemetery they have some rather cool Crypts and it's a safer place then Greenmount

koi-ishly
05-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Uh... Yeah, it's on Ft. Meade property...

Ah, things have changed a lot on the base. They are going through a major renovation due to the influx of personal/jobs coming in. I don't know the base too well... I only use it when I need food, I live off of the base. But, that would not be a hard thing to look into =) My only concern would is that the character I am going to be has a very large scythe... and well, the military is the military. Granted, I can go with out the scythe. I'm just not to sure how well I'd be received. Ha, I'm just thinking of going through the gate and if I had my scythe in the back what the entrance guard would say ;p

Scorpion89:
I did a quick search for some of the images, some of the vaults/crypts look really great. Thank you for the tip! I don't know that part of Bmore all that well, so that is something I'll scope out with my husband prior. It's kinda sad to know the a cemetery can be considered not safe due to the area around it =/

Scorpion89
05-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Scorpion89:
I did a quick search for some of the images, some of the vaults/crypts look really great. Thank you for the tip! I don't know that part of Bmore all that well, so that is something I'll scope out with my husband prior. It's kinda sad to know the a cemetery can be considered not safe due to the area around it =/

The location isn't that bad their are two different Cemetery right next to each other the smaller one is Loudon National Military Cemetery and that has allot of Civil War grave's including the 2nd largest grave's of Color Troops and their are 5 medal of Honor buried there also. Worth stopping in and walking. As for the big Cemetery next door it dates back to the late 1700s may I suggest before you decide to show up in costume that you come over and drive the Cemetery look for locations you want to use because of the size of it. If there is anything else I can help you with just ask.

VKlover
05-07-2011, 07:29 PM
haha yeah. The base has definately changed. haha. I used to live there for like 4 or 5 years (since 2003). I go to school in base. So I'm in base EVERY DAY. xD LMAO. But you should definately tell em it's fake. Cuz if not, then they WILL arrest you. Ever since people from my school have been jumping the gate and getting in when they aren't supposed to be there, the MP's have been at the front of my school (in the gate that leads in base) checking IDs. If you don't have an ID, then you are basically EFFED. lmao.

koi-ishly
05-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Scorpion- I will certainly look around before I would get pictures. If I were to take picture in the get-up that I plan, I'm going to stand out like a sore thumb. I'm not about to walk around searching for places to take pictures with out some kind of idea. I really do appreciate the advice and tips =) Maybe the weather will be nice tomorrow, my husband and I were looking for something to do. Lately I feel MD is just one giant puddle, it's been raining way too much this spring.

VK- Jump the gate? That's just, I'm dumbfounded...

Next time I'm at the base, I'll look around for it. I probably would have to leave the weapon at home due to me not wanting it confiscated or anything to go wrong. I kinda like going to the base, I'd rather not have my tag/ID revoked or something. No idea if that could happen, but I'm not about to test that theory. If all else, maybe I could use it for a different cosplay with not so evil a look.

VKlover
05-07-2011, 11:11 PM
I am too! I was like "How the hell is that even possible?!?!" But that caused the MP to change rules... it annoyed me, but I got used to it.

And yeah, good idea. I don't want you to get in trouble...

I have the address to the church in Ft Meade:
4419 Llewellyn
(301) 677-6703 (phone number) :D

koi-ishly
05-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks VK!

Scorpion- I checked out the cemetery. It is beautiful. Some of the graves are so ornate! And the vaults are just beyond cool. When I get my costume done, we're certainly going to be going there as it's a very quite place. We even went on Mother's day, there were a ton of people, but if you go into the older part, it's like you're the only person on the property.

It's going to be a while before I'm able to take some pictures. I can't wait until I get this done!

VKlover
05-10-2011, 12:48 PM
@koi-ishly No prob. :D Hehe
I mean I have ben living here since 2003, so the area is nothing new to me. hahaha xD

Scorpion89
05-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks VK!

Scorpion- I checked out the cemetery. It is beautiful. Some of the graves are so ornate! And the vaults are just beyond cool. When I get my costume done, we're certainly going to be going there as it's a very quite place. We even went on Mother's day, there were a ton of people, but if you go into the older part, it's like you're the only person on the property.

It's going to be a while before I'm able to take some pictures. I can't wait until I get this done!

I'm glad I could help did you get a chance to walk the Military Cemetery next door???? When your ready let me know would love to meet you and do some photo's.

As for the Goth Church still waiting to hear back form the folks who own it.

Scorpion89
05-10-2011, 06:21 PM
BTW I'm gonna be cosplaying as Grell from Black Butler, and I need locations. Please, they can't be further than Odenton, Annapolis, Baltimore, Hanover, or Ft. Meade. Thanks! :D

Do you have an idea's o what type of locations your interesting in. if you can give me a basic idea I can see what I can fin din Baltimore for you.

koi-ishly
05-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm glad I could help did you get a chance to walk the Military Cemetery next door???? When your ready let me know would love to meet you and do some photo's.

As for the Goth Church still waiting to hear back form the folks who own it.

No, I don't think I went to the military cemetary next door. We used the entrance that had the Loudon Funeral Home. I didn't realize there was more. We drove pretty much the entire place. You know what, come to think of it, while we didn't go into the military section, we did drive by it. My husband remarked on it, I didn't think about how to get over there at the time. If I have time this week after work, I'll see if I stop by and check it out.

As for the time frame for the costume, it will be absolutely completed by the end of July for Otakon. I wish I could finish before summer starts, but there's no way to get it done in that time. With work and going back to school for my masters, I'm pretty much limited on time.

When the time get's closer I can let you know, since you know the cemetary it'll be easier to find some key spots to shoot.

VKlover
05-11-2011, 12:11 PM
It's my first time cosplaying as him... but... no... i don't... I was also thinking a cemetery or dark ally. xD *MAKE SURE IT'S SAFE!!!!!!!!!!! lol*

koi-ishly
05-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Scorpion89- Found the military cemetery, but my husband and I explored the park a bit more. We plan on going again, so we'll look at the military side at some point. I took some quick pics of some interesting places, in case others are interested.

Loundon Cemetery Photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56407030@N04/)
These are not professional, they are reference images. So, pardon my point and shoot tourist style.

princesspearl
06-20-2011, 04:16 PM
well i live in the frederick/bmore area and downtown frederick has a bunch of good places if you want an old church. also, up in wolfsville near smithsburg, there is a fantastic looking graveyardif you wanted to do a shoot there :) hope that was helpful!

Rose of Battle
06-21-2011, 02:47 AM
well i live in the frederick/bmore area and downtown frederick has a bunch of good places if you want an old church. also, up in wolfsville near smithsburg, there is a fantastic looking graveyardif you wanted to do a shoot there :) hope that was helpful!

I'll second downtown Frederick. Though, locals WILL be very confused and wary of you (but I've noticed that tourists are always happy to ask you what you're doing). XD Some of the churches are very pretty, but it's always best to ask for permission if you plan on going inside. My parents go to St. John's Catholic Church and it's got some very nice windows and a gorgeous ceiling.

koi-ishly
06-21-2011, 09:09 AM
princesspearl and Rose of Battle, thanks for the suggestion of Frederick. Do have more specifics though? While Frederick isn't a too far from Bmore, I doubt I would have the opportunity to scope out the area prior. If I could get a more specific location for me to look, then I'd be able to focus where to drive.

sazumebachi
06-21-2011, 03:41 PM
I also think patapsco state park is a nice place! i think downtown is a good idea too.

Rose of Battle
06-21-2011, 07:00 PM
princesspearl and Rose of Battle, thanks for the suggestion of Frederick. Do have more specifics though? While Frederick isn't a too far from Bmore, I doubt I would have the opportunity to scope out the area prior. If I could get a more specific location for me to look, then I'd be able to focus where to drive.

Do you know what you're looking for in a location? Frederick's got churches, parks (big ones like Baker Park and smaller community ones), and the county's got a lot of trails. Here's (http://www.fredericktourism.org/) the Frederick tourism site.

koi-ishly
06-21-2011, 08:28 PM
sazumebachi- For Otakon I'll be taking pictures down town. There's some industrial sites outside of Bmore that I'm thinking of having as a back drop. There are some cool areas underneath the overpasses.

Rose of Battle- I'll be cosplaying Dead Master from Black Rock Shooter. As far as locations, honestly I'm just looking for anything that's an interesting back drop. Old cathedrals, grave yards, or industrial-ish sites. Thanks for the link!

Rose of Battle
06-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Hmmm...I know there are several gravesites in downtown Frederick. There's also a rather big one by the Frederick Keys Stadium, but I think you'd have to ask for permission to take pictures.

koi-ishly
06-25-2011, 04:00 PM
I figured others can use this thread for their own research for MD sites. So, my husband and I went on an adventure today to Fort Armistead.

Here are my pictures of the area (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56407030@N04/sets/72157626920880877/). Not a lot of details, there were actually two other photographers there, so I just got a few snap shots of the area for reference. It's easy to get to and some great graffiti.

Hope this helps someone.

**edit**
As a word of caution, only go during the day. There's a lot of nice folks that do fishing and boating. Do not go during the night.

Rose of Battle
06-26-2011, 02:41 AM
That graffiti is gorgeous! I've never heard of that area, but I might check it out sometime.

Scorpion89
06-26-2011, 05:05 AM
I figured others can use this thread for their own research for MD sites. So, my husband and I went on an adventure today to Fort Armistead.

Here are my pictures of the area (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56407030@N04/sets/72157626920880877/). Not a lot of details, there were actually two other photographers there, so I just got a few snap shots of the area for reference. It's easy to get to and some great graffiti.

Hope this helps someone.

Hi Koiishly

Armistead is pretty cool place to do photo's I have done a few shoots out their just a word of caution try not to be their in the early morning or evening it's not the safe's place in bmore at those hours.

Hey did you get a chance to see any of the Feral Kitties there is a rather large group of them near the water.

koi-ishly
06-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Scorpion89:
I did see the feral kitties. I was shocked to see all the food bowls and little shelter areas... some one takes a lot of time to take care of those poor things.

I did forget to mention a warning about the area, we went around noon. There were ton's of people, but yes, this area is not safe. My assumption of the area is that it's gang territory at night, there a lot of tags. The park itself seems to be run over by those that that enter the park at night. There are no park employees as far as I can tell, just locals hanging around.