PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake ~ Everyone OK?

kiratsukai
03-11-2011, 02:58 AM
Just to check on everyone and to make sure no one needs place to hide-out or emergency loans until all of the building inspections and evacuations are in order.

皆さん大丈夫ですか? もし地震のため、問題や不安があったら、ここに居るレイヤー達と相談したら何か手伝 う事ができるかもしれません。

If anyone needs anything, post it here or contact someone from the board via email or cellphone. We'll get you sorted out.

We felt nothing at all in Shikoku and haven't gotten much in the way of a tsunami. For once, our boringness is actually quite helpful.

Will also be posting some info about support and relief efforts/charities as they spring up. If you can find it in your heart and wallet to help out, please do.

daylight
03-11-2011, 03:02 AM
^ glad your ok :)

hope everyone is okay, I wish there was something I could do to help D:

shortsheik
03-11-2011, 03:03 AM
Just joining Kira to second her invite and offer of assistance. I hope everyone is all right!

Of all the times to be grateful for living on Shikoku... Please take care everyone!

kiratsukai
03-11-2011, 03:36 AM
A user named Quantum9 (http://www.cosplay.com/member/11845) is searching for some friends in Aomori and would appreciate hearing from anyone there about the situation. I'll be sending his address to Mason directly but if anyone can help in the meantime, please drop a PM.

Kimi_Bunny
03-11-2011, 03:42 AM
8.9!! Hoping everyone is safe and avoids the tsunamis! Praying for all that have been affected by this disaster.

kiratsukai
03-11-2011, 03:54 AM
Yuusuke says there was just another one in Fukushima and a bunch of minor earthquakes are popping up elsewhere O-o;;

Apparently all of the public transport in Tokyo has been stopped until the aftershocks stabilize and the lines can all be checked. So no one will be going anywhere for a little while :/

HackerEd
03-11-2011, 04:03 AM
My neighborhood (Heiwadai) is alright, no power outages or any major problems. If I can help anybody in the area please feel free to pm me.

kiratsukai
03-11-2011, 04:06 AM
To those with no keitai service (tip from Minoa, a cosplayer at archive): in the state of emergency it is now apparently FREE to use public telephones for domestic calls ~

公衆電話が無料になりました!携帯電話使えない方ぜひ利用して下さい!  

daylight
03-11-2011, 04:20 AM
I hear Nagoya, Osaka are alright too, Tokyo had a bit of damage

RookBartly
03-11-2011, 04:54 AM
I'm good. Tokyo is nuts right now. Gladly I live on the other side of Tokyo the epicenter. Anyone hear from CelestialShadow? I'm worried. I can't call her because none of the cell phones work.

kiratsukai
03-11-2011, 04:57 AM
Anyone hear from CelestialShadow?

She's fine. Eisuke's fine too.
They're just shaken up.

CelestialShadow
03-11-2011, 05:11 AM
Im okay too! Eisuke is stranded somewhere in tokyo though....

oh yeah i wrote this on deviantart:
Hello everyone, today at about 3pm north eastern Japan was hit buy a very big quake. You can read more about it on any online news source since it just happened. Tokyo was also hit very hard, I was caught in the quake coming home from the store. It was so powerful it knocked me onto the ground. I got up and ran all the way back to my apartment building but could not go inside because the shaking was severe and it was not safe. When I was able to get back in I packed up my wallet cell phone and some snack foods and went outside to wait it out. For about 3 hours after that we have been experiencing a BIZARRE ( and I mean totally not normal shaking after shocks, these are the vertical kind that makes it feel like your on a trampoline, the most dangerous type) series of aftershocks that are still coming even as I write this entry. Phone lines are down, trains are down, nothing works EXCEPT the internet which is the only way of contacting me for the time being. I and my family are safe, the house did get pretty trashed but its nothing that cant be cleaned up. Many buildings nearby have been damaged or caught fire so we are all being very diligent right now to keep an eye out around our neighborhood since houses are so close together and one fire could mean the whole city gets taken out potentially. A tsunami did hit the coast of Japan so a few prefectures were almost completely taken out, including Fukushima. The city if still on quake warning so i have to brace myself for some more, i doubt its over yet.

If you are the praying type, say one for Japan, it needs it.

Thanks everyone!

RookBartly
03-11-2011, 05:30 AM
If need be, you and your hubby can crash at my place. I have more then enough room.

Tsumanne
03-11-2011, 05:58 AM
Everything is fine in my area in North Tokyo, gave us a good scare though. But the quake did spill my tea and prompt me to slap on a WWII German helmet. See, cosplay stuff comes in handy during natural disasters.

-Edo-
03-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Alright here, strongest shake I've felt as long as I've lived in Japan. Nagoya's a good 1000 kms away from the epicenter and here it felt like a wide, light sway.

Largest recorded earthquake ever in Japan, the tsunami images are intense. Here's live streaming NHK news:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/foxtokimekitonight

Blood_Sword
03-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Sorry I'm not from Japan (Finland actually) but this catastrophe affects me too since my brother has a japanese wife and so her family is there. I'm so glad to hear Nagoya is alright.

I've watched the finnish news about this like 5 times already and it's horrible. I feel so sorry for everyone affected, what a loss. :'(
Only one day away from my birthday too... so bad.
Tomorrow I'll be dressed in traditional japanese clothing (my 18 years birthday is asian themed) and I'll say some prayers then. I'll keep a silent minute today too.

Actually the first thing I heard in the morning when I woke up was my mother telling me that Jorma (her brother) called her and said that Japan got struck by a major earthquake and tsunami... and after that mom's mobile have been ringing all day because all our relatives kept calling and asking where my brother was.
Actually my brother's wife was about to fly to Japan this Sunday... I don't know how that will go...

However. Enough talking for me, I just hope everyone here is alright...

Kxela
03-12-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm alive. Public transportation all over Tokyo shut down, I had to walk 8km/5miles for two hours to get home (I really didn't want to camp out at a train station)
Besides that my part of Tokyo had relatively few damages. Nothing very serious here.

Have been feeling tons of aftershocks though.

Quantum9
03-12-2011, 01:26 AM
Just got word that my two friends (Coscom users Archelon and Violetsky) are okay, but stuck in Tokyo.

rubyspitfire
03-12-2011, 04:19 AM
these showed up on my FB feed 5 minutes ago, from someone who lives there:

"I think we have a nuclear disaster. I think the electricity will soon be cut off. I will not be able to keep you informed. I will keep posting as long as I can. We are being warned about dangerous rain, if it rains. There has been a big explosion."
"We have been seriously lied to. (Not that I ever believed it was true.) The building one is destroyed. Very high levels of radiation are recorded."
"Told to keep electricity use to a minimum. *name removed* is freeked out and crying. She has been praying on my bed. Told not to eat fresh foods. Small earthquakes continue."

please be careful and take all possible precautions

kiratsukai
03-12-2011, 04:43 AM
Thanks. We turned on the news now and it's true... the core of at least one of the reactors is beginning to melt down... One of the buildings has exploded.

No one knows what this means...

rubyspitfire
03-12-2011, 04:56 AM
the person who posted those is in tokyo. she is posting updates every few minutes for as long as she can before electricity is shut off

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kimono/52376183722

CelestialShadow
03-12-2011, 05:10 AM
a small update from both Kira and myself. The reactor DID blow up about 2 hours ago, still not much info on it yet since NO ONE seems to know whats going on. Kira wrote this on facebook and I suggest that all of us in Japan follow suit:

government official announce】①explosion happened in nuclear plant. all experts are trying figure out what's going on. people within 10km radius have to move safely place now.② we don't have enough power in Japan now. so everyone in japan Please try to save electric. (from Yuuji Imai) , There are also "black rain" warnings out. Stay out of the rain if you're anywhere near Fukushima and watch for government alerts.

My tidbit: Japanese goverment does not want a panic so they did not announce this on TV which was STUPID, now thousands of people are going to potentially get radiation sickness because they are too concerned with their public image, control of the public and themselves because the american military offered assistance to help cool the reactor and japanese officials refused citing `we have the necessary supplies`. Pshhhh supplies my foot! take help when offered japan, Jesus Christ!

kiratsukai
03-12-2011, 05:17 AM
My friend Yuuji is in the area. He's translating the government warning in realtime on facebook as he watches the news. He's being a godsend.

The dai-ichi reactor hasn't completely exploded. Currently only one building has been compromised. Though it seems really likely things will go downhill as pressure builds from the failed cooling systems.

A few updates:

-The official evacuation order has been updated to 20km.... If you're anywhere near that plant, get the hell out of there.

-Farron has called the Osaka power company. We in the south of Japan are NOT on a shared grid with Tohoku. We can use power as usual and shouldn't be affected by the explosions or any power shutdowns/diversions. If you live in the Kansai, Shikoku or Kyuushu areas, it's okay to use power as usual.

rubyspitfire
03-12-2011, 05:21 AM
from what the person who's link i posted has been saying, people have been in a panic since news of the explosion went public. i understand wanting to keep people calm but this is not a time to keep silent

please stay safe, all of you

kiratsukai
03-12-2011, 06:06 AM
Sounds like this only effects Fukushima (an area I don't think we have any members living in) for the time being... but it's scary nonetheless.

Always a good idea to get information out there where people can get at it.

Jacky
03-12-2011, 07:37 AM
沢山の言葉をありがとう。
私は東京に住んでいるので無事です。

しかし多くの被害者が居るエリアにも多くのcosplayerが居ます。
彼らは同じ趣味を持つ仲間です。

私も彼らの為に祈るしかできません。
皆さんも多くの仲間が助かるように祈ってください。

ありがとう。

Jacky

kiratsukai
03-12-2011, 08:10 AM
(translation)

"Thanks for so many words of support.
I live in Tokyo and am alright.

But there are a lot of cosplayers in the areas with many victims.
They're our friends who share our interests.

All I can do for them (like you) is pray for them.
Please pray with me that lots of our friends can be saved.

Thank you.

Jacky"

kiratsukai
03-13-2011, 04:17 AM
Update on the reactor: looks like everything's taken a turn for the better. Seawater is being pumped in to cool the fuel rods and backup generators have been brought in to restore the cooling system.

The building that exploded was a building housing the reactor, not the reactor itself which is still intact. Apparently in spite of part of the core melting, the damage was halted in time to prevent a major nuclear disaster. We're still not totally in the clear, but things are looking a whole lot better than yesterday ^______^

Radiation has leaked and is still leaking, but current levels are not high enough to pose a significant risk to human health. Any warnings about rain, produce, etc and the distribution of iodine tablets to those in affected areas are preventative measures and need only be heeded if the reactors are officially compromised, in which case there will absolutely be a swift government announcement instructing affected folks. Anything else you hear in the meantime is likely a rumor and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Finally, good news!

As for members of this board: gasei has contacted me. He's alright. But he shared his concerns about the spread of unfounded rumors and panic and reminded us that our buddy elisiss (http://www.cosplay.com/member/104078/) is still unaccounted for. If anyone hears from him or knows how to reach him, please let us know.

RookBartly
03-13-2011, 04:42 AM
I'm glad they got it under control for now. Thats the last thing Japan needs right now. Too much going on with just the quake and tsumami issues alone.

kiratsukai
03-13-2011, 05:08 AM
All Lawson stores nationwide are collecting donations to give to the Japanese Red Cross. You just drop money in the box—very simple.

LAWSONで地震の被害者の為のお金を集めっているそうです。 支援して頂けるならLAWSONの店頭に ある箱に募金をお願いします。

Shall we have a friendly contest to see how much money we can all donate over a certain amount of time? ^^

I'll be putting up some auctions and donating all the change in my wallet for the whole week. I'm curious to know how much I can muster!!! Anyone else up to the challenge?

CelestialShadow
03-13-2011, 08:13 AM
I am not sure if this is true or not but Eisuke heard this that in the next 3 days its 70% likely that another earthquake will hit the same area and tokyo as well. I have a gas stove and candles ready since we share the same power grid as Fukishima reactor. Those in Tokyo (especially northeast side) should prepare to hunker down if it happens again...

I go to lawsons everyday before works so I will be sure to drop some money each day I go there for my coffee =)

kiratsukai
03-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Are you guys alright for food?

At least 5 people on my Facebook are posting pictures of bare shelves...

Our supermarkets seem just fine. So if you need a care package let me know. Apparently the mail still runs as far as Tokyo.

-Edo-
03-13-2011, 02:52 PM
沢山の言葉をありがとう。
私は東京に住んでいるので無事です。

しかし多くの被害者が居るエリアにも多くのcosplayerが居ます。
彼らは同じ趣味を持つ仲間です。

私も彼らの為に祈るしかできません。
皆さんも多くの仲間が助かるように祈ってください。

ありがとう。

Jacky

Thanks Jacky, lets all try to do what we can to help out.

DigiSlug
03-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Another? Just that thought scares me..
@kira thanks for the information about Lawsons. I know what I'm doing with my concert refund (Iron Maiden).

a Box on facebook page about TEPCO says Kanto plain will be having power outages. Sounds like a fun 3 hours.

CelestialShadow
03-13-2011, 11:25 PM
We are alright for food, luckly i went shopping yesterday early before the crowd hit so we have enough for a couple of days. =)

Eisukes tofu job is skyrocketing though, everyone is buying his tofu left and right! He gets to come home early because of it =D

BTW trains are a clusterf--k here, they are only running a limited number per line so if you are in Tokyo better plan your trips accordingly. there is no time table for most trains now so its best to give yourself extra time to get around. I have to leave 1 1/2 early for work to make sure i get there on time...

tenryutsukai
03-14-2011, 12:25 AM
the planned power outage schedule for japan is on the TEPCO website
http://www.tepco.co.jp/index-j.html
some of the pages don't open because they're busy though.

mixaka
03-14-2011, 03:51 AM
No trains running in my area at all and the lines at the gas stations stretch on forever. Okay on food for the next few days, but if the shelves in my area remain empty, it may pose problems down the line. People are clearly starting to hoard. Even toilet paper has sold out. School lunch has also been reduced to nothing but bread and milk for the rest of the week as they have not been able to get food shipments in. On the plus side, the scheduled blackout between 2-5 appears to have been canceled. At least for today.

I too encourage people to donate if they can. I have made donations, both online to the red cross and the fund my school started collecting today. I would love to give blood as well but can't due to time spent living in the UK (sucks cause I'm O-).

xtrishax
03-14-2011, 04:02 AM
Up here in Misawa, we're all safe.
Didn't have any power or wi-fi for the last couple of days, but we survived. No damage to any facilities in our military bases.
Been really busy up here though, taking care of (international) teachers that came from Sendai needing help. And we just sent some US Search and Rescue teams the other day.
So we're really working on recovering up here and taking care of people who need help.
Hopefully things continue on smoothly so we can return back to our normal lives. It'll take a while, I'm sure of it.

Glad to know that no know in Tokyo that I know is safe. :)

karuka ikashi
03-14-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm alright here. Gifu-ken just got by with some minor swaying on Friday. Thank God...To all those further north, please stay safe!

Ariyakas
03-14-2011, 11:47 AM
I hope everyone is okay ! My thoughts goes out to everyone in japan, it must be truly horrible to have to deal with something like this. At the worst, I've only had to deal with hurricanes and tornadoes but there almost nothing when compared to earthquakes and tsunamis ! I'll be praying for you all.

rubyspitfire
03-14-2011, 09:14 PM
more from my FB feed via http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kimono/52376183722

"BBC - 'UK nuclear expert John Large tells the BBC that the wind direction off the east coast of Japan is moving round to the south, which could take any radioactive plume from the Fukushima plant over the Tokyo region.'"
"What should people do. Stay inside with windows closed. If you have to go out, cover mouth with wet towel. When coming inside, wash hands and face and change clothes."

please continue to take ample precautions, and stay safe

CelestialShadow
03-15-2011, 02:16 AM
http://http://www.7tune.com/news-information-on-japanese-nuclear-reactors/ (http://www.7tune.com/news-information-on-japanese-nuclear-reactors/)

Maybe this will put some peoples minds at ease, its a very long article but written by a german nuclear physicist which takes a detailed look into the fukushima reactor and why it WONT be hurting anyone anytime soon.

kiratsukai
03-15-2011, 03:24 AM
I tried to build a bit of morale in the office today by printing out articles from English language publications and the internet like: "The World is Impressed By Japan" then pasted them up around all of the teachers' rooms and in classrooms.

It sparked a lot of warm-fuzzies toward internationalism :)

shortsheik
03-15-2011, 05:32 AM
I worked all weekend and had no classes today, so I took the day off. Spent in cleaning, doing laundry, and balancing my accounts. Back to work tomorrow, and I would like to do something helpful there. The problem is, I'm not sure how to go about it, given the bureaucracy and ideocentricities of the Japanese school system, not to mention that there is only about a week left of the school year. I just to discuss the matter with a class yesterday and was only stared at blankly.

So, I suppose that's my next order of business: try to encourage discussion of what we can do and hopefully, take action on some of them. Recommendation appreciated (though this thread may or may not be the place for them).

kiratsukai
03-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Have heard from elisiss. He's back at home and checking on all of his friends.

RookBartly
03-16-2011, 04:56 AM
Anyone Heard from Masonkun? I don't have his number nor have I seen him post recently.

RookBartly
03-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Just got word from Masonkun. He is alright.

elisiss
03-24-2011, 10:40 AM
生きてまぁ~~す!

ここに書くのを忘れてました

im alive^^
im forgot to write in this board

LoveisCLM.
04-01-2011, 07:32 PM
thank you everyone for worry about Japan

we are glad for your all pray and worried feeling

this is the song I made for this situation please continue for pray for us ^__^

thank you very much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf5tzznVmKQ

Yonbi
04-08-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm not from Japan, but you're all in my prayers/thoughts! I'll continue doing what I can to support you all, and I'm glad that our fellow cosplayers messaged us to let us know that their alright.

Stay strong!

Beautiful song, Love. You're really talented. All of this (including tributes and NEWS feeds) makes me tear up.

Sakura Blizzard
04-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Hope everyone is ok. I didn't have internet when this happened and couldn't contact a friend from Japan. Scared out of my mind.

Praying for everyone every night. Don't know what else to say. Might cry again. I don't know why...Love you all even if I don't know you. <3