PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a hopeful Bixie!

kyreth
03-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Hello there! I am interested in creating a Bixie costume (a sort of human/bee hybrid) for myself to attend the SOE Fan Faire this year. My problem is that I have never actually attempted to make a costume before now, and I am having problems trying to figure out which way to approach this one. I would like to ask for the advice of you more experienced costume makers out there on how doable you think this project actually is!

Here is a link to a picture of the Bixie I wish to emulate, just so you can get a basic idea: http://everquest2.com/images/en/features/LON/visage-of-the-bixie-drone.jpg

My initial thoughts are that I have four options:

1) Buy a black unitard and sew yellow and white faux fur fabrics (because insects are furry!) onto it in the appropriate pattern. This I worry about because I know that a spandex unitard is going to be stretchy, while faux fur will not.

2) Buy a black unitard and use yellow and white fabric paint to recreate the pattern. Although I am not sure how the paint would work with the stretchy material, and I feel like I would end up needing a lot of paint.

3) Buy black, yellow, and white faux fur and attempt to cobble a costume together from scratch. I highly doubt this will happen, as I usually sew things by hand and that sounds like an extraordinary amount of effort.

4) Give up and try to think of a different character to portray.

Thank you for any advice or suggestions you can offer me - I have been browsing this site for a couple of hours now, and I have to say that the costumes here are stunning and very inspiring to a wishful creator :)

Ichigogami
03-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Why not a yellow or white unitard and sew the other associated colors to it?? that way you aren't trying to paint or sew lighter colors over darker ones...in my experience it's always been harder to try and paint black white than it is to paint white black....

kyreth
03-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks for pointing that out - I hadn't really thought about it. I suppose I was planning on going with the black because there is so much more black in it than other colors.

I just had another idea though - maybe I can buy two unitards, one black and one yellow, and just do cut-outs on one of them so that the other shows through.. that way all I have to worry about are the few white patches.. hmm.