PDA

View Full Version : Azula Armor/Boots?

pinapplegum
03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
I'll be cosplaying Azula from Avatar, but I'm not quite sure how to create the awesome stiff curves of her armor. Any ideas? All I can think of is 'interfacing', but I don't know how much, or how to shape it into the armor look... And I've never made boots before, either, and hers aren't quite 'boots' and curvy at the tips. Help!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f189/Superdreuzel/Azula.png
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/el_diablos_chica/FireNationArmor01.jpg
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/yendor1214/Azula3.png
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg65/Flare2057/azula2.jpg
http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t341/Silvermorning997/Ep56-85.png

EDIT: I sort of already bought a thick black fabric that isn't leather/pleather... so I was wondering if I could still work with that... or should I scrap it?? ><

Aurora Maryte
03-13-2011, 04:15 PM
I really don't know what to say about the shoes.
The armor though... You would take leather(real or faux, whichever you prefer) and make the armor shape, cut a piece of interfacing like you thought and use that as the lining for your armor. That will give it a stiffness that will aid you in achieving the curves on Azula's armor, but it won't actually get the job done.
You will, when you sew on the interfacing(or when you sew on your bottom layer of leather to hide the interfacing), need to sew the edges in such a way that you create a slot, and you need to buy wire. 18 gauge should work, though you can feel each wire gauge and decide for yourself what you prefer. These wires are sold at craft stores everywhere and I believe are normally used for jewelry and crafting.
You will need to slide the wiring into the slots you've created, CAREFULLY bend it to the shape you desire, then sew closed the ends of your fabric(the ends of the armor that you still had open to slide the wiring into your fabric slot).

Make sure your sewing machine doesn't hit the wiring or the needle can shatter. And make sure the wiring isn't right up against the edge of your fabric or wear and tear may cause it to fray and rip the fabric.

pinapplegum
03-13-2011, 04:34 PM
I really don't know what to say about the shoes.
The armor though... You would take leather(real or faux, whichever you prefer) and make the armor shape, cut a piece of interfacing like you thought and use that as the lining for your armor. That will give it a stiffness that will aid you in achieving the curves on Azula's armor, but it won't actually get the job done.
You will, when you sew on the interfacing(or when you sew on your bottom layer of leather to hide the interfacing), need to sew the edges in such a way that you create a slot, and you need to buy wire. 18 gauge should work, though you can feel each wire gauge and decide for yourself what you prefer. These wires are sold at craft stores everywhere and I believe are normally used for jewelry and crafting.
You will need to slide the wiring into the slots you've created, CAREFULLY bend it to the shape you desire, then sew closed the ends of your fabric(the ends of the armor that you still had open to slide the wiring into your fabric slot).

Make sure your sewing machine doesn't hit the wiring or the needle can shatter. And make sure the wiring isn't right up against the edge of your fabric or wear and tear may cause it to fray and rip the fabric.
Aww... that WOULD be great if I could cash out the dough for that kind of stuff, if I KNEW how to work with leather (without killing it) and if *sigh* I hadn't already gone and bought black fabric. Because I suck! Is there a way I can still work with what I have?

Aurora Maryte
03-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Yeah I don't see why the black fabric wouldn't work... I just didn't realize you already bought your fabric, so I mentioned leather or pleather since the general consensus is that Fire Nation armor is leather.
And the wire is cheap. Like $4 at the very most, but I paid $2.99 when I bought it.

Edit: I don't see any reason why you would need to scrap your black fabric. You will probably need to double layer it up to give it the right appearance so it doesn't look flimsy, but if you have it double layered and use interfacing(make sure you use black interfacing! White would probably show through normal fabrics unlike with leather), it should be fine.
Leather/pleather isn't really difficult to work with though. I used it with no prior knowledge of what I was doing- it was my 2nd time ever sewing- and with regular machine needles. Just so for the future the idea of using leather as bring hard doesn't prevent you from using it.

Celyddon
03-14-2011, 01:33 PM
I've made that armor out of nothing more complicated than craft foam and fabric, with fabric paint over it. It's rather stiff in terms of holding up, but flexible in case someone randomly glomps me from behind *grumble* as they did at AnimeFest last year. I haven't done the boot covers--I simply wore black heeled boots, since I was in a hurry for that convention--but they can be made of regular fabric with fabric paint, and either magnets or temporary fusibles if you want to keep the boots for some other cosplay.

My method/tutorial and pictures are on my DeviantArt site, if you would like to see.