PDA

View Full Version : Anime North Yearbook: New Idea!

lainey
10-27-2003, 03:58 PM
I have come up the idea with a yearbook for the Anime North con.

I don't think other cons have it, but I think it's awesome.

I'm going to write up a proposal to the publications head...but I need your help ^_^

Just post in this thread:
http://pub43.ezboard.com/fteahouseofthemaplemoonfrm87.showMessage?topicID=5 2.topic

that you'd like the idea of a yearbook. If you are willing to help, be sure to state so and a contact e-mail address.

It's not like I'll be working on it or that it's going to happen for sure, but I think it's a good idea.

archangeli
10-28-2003, 01:10 AM
I would, except that I'm booked for another engagement that weekend so I won't even BE at Anime North next year. . .

JustinCredible
10-28-2003, 01:43 PM
As I said in the original thread,
I'm up for another round of yearbook action... no teachers to trample my creative spirit. Although I would need a steady supply of timbits and anime to make it through :bigtu:

Mia-P
10-29-2003, 01:48 AM
Wee sounds good! :bigtu:

Chosuke
10-29-2003, 08:18 AM
I like that idea.

nuriko001
10-29-2003, 09:05 AM
how much does this year book.. will cost? hehehe
. if it's not as expensive as the REAL year book.. sure:) make sure it majority IS COSPLAY>>

lainey
10-29-2003, 06:03 PM
we don't know....

we aren't sure if it'll happen...

so just help make it happen ^_^

i'll write the proposal this weekend

Machiko
10-29-2003, 06:42 PM
cool ^^ i'd luv to have a AN yearbook lol might be expensive though O.o'

Kia
10-29-2003, 07:07 PM
Depends on what *kind* of yearbook it'd be. If you're looking at a hardcover one like most highschools have then it'll be VERY expensive. ESPECIALLY if you have colour pages. Those cost the most.
If you want just a little softcover one like my brother's middle school did then I don't know the price of that.... but if we can guarentee a nice bulk order then hopefullly prices may be reasonable.
The only thing I wonder about is that most people would probably want colour pages, b/c they make things like costumes look a lot better, but that'll cost more and cause more people to not be interested... if the proposal gets accepted then it'll really need a good advertising campaign to get people interested in it and boost sales..... but I'm just babbling now....

*Anyways*, if this goes through then you have my help too. I was on staff w/ Justin Credible for awhile, so I can help a little. ^_^
Good luck!

lainey
10-29-2003, 07:40 PM
it probably won't be colour...
colour is WAY too expensive...

*shudders* most high school yearbooks are black and white..but the memories of it is still very nice.

i'm sure at the con...when people buy their tickets, they can be asked if they want to order a yearbook...
or set up a booth to order them or something...
and have it available for order online O_o

JustinCredible
10-29-2003, 09:16 PM
If anyone is willing to send me to Yearbook Camp, I think I could russle up some color pages:bigtu:

heki-chan
10-30-2003, 03:57 AM
from what i remember...

the cost per book if 600-800 yearbooks are ordered for print is about $30-40/book

but then again, taht is glossy pages, hardcover, and about 50 colour pages.

my middle school ones were decent. soft-cover, some colour pages, mostly b/w. but still glossy.

they made about 500 copies, the cost was $25/book.

heki-chan
10-30-2003, 03:58 AM
also

Josten's does great yearbooks.

they also give you their yearbook layoutting software.
u send them the layouts digitally (good quality stuff)

makes it real easy to handle :)

anna n i still have the software...i think. but stil, if we order from them, they will send the software and stuff.

Kisa
11-04-2003, 02:37 PM
I think the big questions are:

Who is planning to make this yearbook.
What will be in it.
What kind of quality will it have?
An "Anime North" yearbook will no doubt have great features such as colour, or something, because they could get advertising space to sell, but might have restrictions on content, or worse, because of their sponsors, have to include crap like metabots/yugioh/dbz/YTVHosts....

Is it a 'cosplay' yearbook, or an All-Anime North yearbook? because if it's an All-Anime North one, there's no doubt going to be a majority of stuff a lot of us aren't interested in, and how do you keep there from being like, pages devoted to the English Gundam Voice actors, or guests of questionable apropriaticity in the mind of the fans? No matter what you do, you're going to piss off a lot of people with your choices.

Who is going to Make the yearbook and are they qualified to make it not-suck? I worked on my highschool yearbook and that's harder then it sounds.

how do you keep it from being a yearbook about "The Most Popular" people at the con? Balance so to speak. Does the Jrock room get the same space as English DBZ actors for example.

How are you going to make it worth buying vs. a great colour gallery like Eric's, LLL's ect. Granted, a lot of people have a Lot of $$ to spend at cons. How do you get them to buy one, instead of their favourite DBZ dvds?

heki-chan
11-04-2003, 02:57 PM
Maybe to cut down on costs of printing, a free-online yearbook could be made?

I know AN has *some* "official" pictures taken by their designated photographers, but theres never any captions or whtevr. i dunno just a suggestion :)

they can burn it onto a CD and still sell it if it floats their boat. even if its on computer-format, they can still sell advertising space and whatnots. i dunno^_^;

lainey
11-04-2003, 06:18 PM
I think the big questions are:

Who is planning to make this yearbook.
What will be in it.
What kind of quality will it have?
An "Anime North" yearbook will no doubt have great features such as colour, or something, because they could get advertising space to sell, but might have restrictions on content, or worse, because of their sponsors, have to include crap like metabots/yugioh/dbz/YTVHosts....

Is it a 'cosplay' yearbook, or an All-Anime North yearbook? because if it's an All-Anime North one, there's no doubt going to be a majority of stuff a lot of us aren't interested in, and how do you keep there from being like, pages devoted to the English Gundam Voice actors, or guests of questionable apropriaticity in the mind of the fans? No matter what you do, you're going to piss off a lot of people with your choices.

Who is going to Make the yearbook and are they qualified to make it not-suck? I worked on my highschool yearbook and that's harder then it sounds.

how do you keep it from being a yearbook about "The Most Popular" people at the con? Balance so to speak. Does the Jrock room get the same space as English DBZ actors for example.

How are you going to make it worth buying vs. a great colour gallery like Eric's, LLL's ect. Granted, a lot of people have a Lot of $$ to spend at cons. How do you get them to buy one, instead of their favourite DBZ dvds?

"there's no doubt going to be a majority of stuff a lot of us aren't interested in"

obviously, a con yearbook features the ENTIRE con.
Conventions are not SOLELY on cosplay. Which entirely makes sense. People want a souvenir of the entire con, meaning the events, guests, etc. Just because cosplayers aren't interested in that stuff... what about the other thousands of attendees?
It makes sense to have it on everything.

Making a simple yearbook is not TOO difficult, I'm sure volunteers would love to spend the time on it. Are you going to criticize people who have volunteered their free time on the yearbook? Because that's just downright mean. I'm sure they are going to put their best efforts.

And if the option is available...have it available for order online. I'm assuming people will be interested for sure, maybe not you, but maybe many others.

JustinCredible
11-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Maybe to cut down on costs of printing, a free-online yearbook could be made?

they can burn it onto a CD and still sell it if it floats their boat. even if its on computer-format, they can still sell advertising space and whatnots. i dunno^_^;

I especially LOVE this idea... because its cost effective, plus a multimedia experience will be available. Plus it can be used as a sample of AN! :bigtu:

Plus I believe my tallents lie more so with web/CD based rather than Yearbooks!

Kia
11-04-2003, 08:18 PM
Making a simple yearbook is not TOO difficult, I'm sure volunteers would love to spend the time on it. Are you going to criticize people who have volunteered their free time on the yearbook? Because that's just downright mean. I'm sure they are going to put their best efforts.

I worked on my school's yearbook for 3 years and I can deffinatly tell you that working on a yearbook, even a *simple* one isn't as easy as you make it sound. I'm not trying to attack you, but I'd like to know if the yearbooks you've worked on were easy or was my school's yearbook just unnecessarily complicated and agrivating? ^_^
One thing I can guarentee you though is that you'll probably get alot of eager volunteers in the beginning, but as soon as they realize that a yearbook takes hard work and dedication you will slowly notice that the size of your staff will dwindle. Trust me, I watched it happen for three years. But I will say, in the end you'll end up with the most dedicated staff you could hope for, but they may be small.
I'm not saying we can't do it, but I'd just like to warnt that a GOOD yearbook, even if it is a simple one, will take time and effort, which will have to be planned out well in advance.

lainey
11-04-2003, 09:37 PM
yes Kia I understand.

from my experience too, the committee always got smaller.
but it was always much better and we got more work when we know who the dedicated people were.

well when I compare my yearbooks to other schools...there's is like AMAZING LOL
But ours is STILL very nice, and does what it is required to do and be.
The most time consuming, and the main job is drawing the layouts and matching the pictures with the numbered boxes on the layouts...

True Kia, I have seen some extravagent ones...but really, for the first time...what can u expect lol At least get it started!

i'm certain Kia...that for the first yearbook, it won't be the best ever. Yearbook creation takes experience and of course it is expected that the next yearbook will be better than its predecessor.

I think we should first worry whether if there is going to be a yearbook in the first place!

Kisa
11-04-2003, 10:47 PM
"there's no doubt going to be a majority of stuff a lot of us aren't interested in"

obviously, a con yearbook features the ENTIRE con.
Conventions are not SOLELY on cosplay. Which entirely makes sense. People want a souvenir of the entire con, meaning the events, guests, etc. Just because cosplayers aren't interested in that stuff... what about the other thousands of attendees?

That was my entire point in asking the question. For Clarification, given that is is a board for Cosplay at Anime North.

"Making a simple yearbook is not TOO difficult, I'm sure volunteers would love to spend the time on it.

I'm sure volunteers would. Afterall Anime North runs on volunteers. But if you expect to make something that will sell enough to cover it's costs and potentially make a profit, You'd probably want something that doesn't Suck and which people are willing to spend their money on. Afterall, People have Cameras and the websites are full of Con-reports where people can get their memories ect. You have to make it *worth* buying, and to do that you need quality. [/QUOTE]

"Are you going to criticize people who have volunteered their free time on the yearbook? Because that's just downright mean. I'm sure they are going to put their best efforts."

I woudln't so much criticize the people, so much as the yearbook itself if it sucked. So I would assume that's less 'mean' then calling the person who slaped together a bunch of pictures haphazardly an idiot.
Well, I would probably call them an idiot. Or useless. Or Lazy. It would depend on the results really. It's sort of the same way I would criticize things at Anime North, Toronto Trek or CrappyCon!
Those are all done by Volunteers too, and if they Suck, I'd tell them. I have told them. It has nothing to do with being Mean. It's about knowing what is expected, and meeting those expectation.
Simply Put: You want people who know what they're *doing* to be in charge of things, and you want people who will say: "No. Send it back. It's not Good Enough." if the case requires it. That's how you get 'amazing' yearbooks btw.
There's no reason why I should be expected to want to pay for something that's less than stellar.
Saying "It can be better in later years." does not encourage me to buy the yearbook NOW. It encourages me to wait a few years until people know what they're doing and get one Then. Until then I can save pictures onto disk and be content with that. Just because it's the first, doesn't mean it has to be poorly made or otherwise crappy.
Does that make it more clear what I was asking?

I'm assuming people will be interested for sure, maybe not you, but maybe many others.
I'm assuming people will be interested too. Hence spending time writing a post in the first place. If I hadn't had a bit of interest, I woudln't have bothered.
It was an attempt to bring up some important issues and looking at it realistically, besides just being genkygenky about the *idea* and making it *worth* buying/doing.

Eleryth
11-05-2003, 03:05 AM
Few really little things (in no particular order):
- Yay for asking questions, Kisa. All angles must be covered.
- I like the idea of the disc better. Cheaper, easier, and interactive (possibly). I mean, you could even (potentially) get the winning skits on there, or a copy of the talent show, or red and white show, or something...and sound! Actor interviews! (so many fans can swoon to the GW VAs voices... ;) - I say this only because I know they were really popular, and I have nothing against them or the people who like them). A disc can include files from each area of the con, information, contact info, etc. And if you want to get a bit artsy, put in a cd jacket. Then you can have fun color photos and yearbooky stuff.
- disc would also be cheaper to mail (as who is going to make the trip to TO just to pick up a yearbook? or disc?)

Oooo, I think my creativity is starting to get roiled up again. Too bad it won't help for literary works. >.< Poor poor nano. Consisiting of 0 words....

And back to discussion!

lainey
11-05-2003, 07:30 AM
a multi-media CD doesn't sound too bad, and it's less work.

but i dunno, i was just thinking that a more tangible thing will be nice.

if not if not.

and why doesn't Kisa herself be head of the yearbook, since she has sooo much knowledge. currently no one has volunteered as head, so i say go for it

lainey
11-05-2003, 07:32 AM
seems like it's a possibility u guys...

Elaine,

Sounds like a great idea. Can you provide the following information:

1. How big a book you had in mind--how many pages.

2. What content you had in mind--photos of what, artwork, black and white
and/or colour pages, advertising (if any), hard cover, soft cover.

3. An estimated cost of the book, based on how many people will actually buy a yearbook.

4. Who will print the book, who will be responsible for shipping and handling, and how much will the shipping and handling cost.

5. A timeline showing deadlines for collecting material, producing the layout, when the printer will have the books ready, and the final release date.

6. What equipment do you have to complete this project, and what you would need from Anime North.

7. Profiles on the people who have committed or will commit to the project, the roles and responsibilities of those people, and what previous experience those people had in carrying out those roles.

Get back to me as soon as you can. If you have any uestions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Ian Stuart
Anime North

JustinCredible
11-05-2003, 04:06 PM
a multi-media CD doesn't sound too bad, and it's less work.

Actually quite the opposite... it will take as much or more to make a quality multiMedia CD...

angelcosmos
11-05-2003, 04:21 PM
- I like the idea of the disc better. Cheaper, easier, and interactive (possibly). I mean, you could even (potentially) get the winning skits on there, or a copy of the talent show, or red and white show, or something...and sound!
- disc would also be cheaper to mail (as who is going to make the trip to TO just to pick up a yearbook? or disc?)

I think all of the skits/performances should be on the cd!!! ^_^ Even if the judges didn't award them, it takes a lot of guts to get up in a crowd!!! I'm still a bit overwhelmed by the dance I did with my group... I was worried that they would *boo* us, good thing they didn't. hee hee I still haven't seen the skits/performances by anyone @ cnax because we were very last. *sniff*

The mailing is a great idea! It only cost about $2.50 cdn including the bubble envelope. ^_~

An online yearbook would be a good cheap resource heki!!! ^_^

lainey
11-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Thank you for the prompt reason. My response to your questions are as follows:

1. How big a book you had in mind--how many pages.
Depending on the type of cover. If it is soft, approximately 50 pages, if it is a hard cover, at least 100 pages.

2. What content you had in mind--photos of what, artwork, black and white
and/or colour pages, advertising (if any), hard cover, soft cover.
Photos of the highlight events such as the masquerade, guests, cosplayers, etc.
Artwork of the mascots, and maybe even feature the work of some of the artists at the artist alley. All pages will mostly be black and white, maybe a couple of pages will be in colour if budget permits.
Advertising will definitely be in the yearbook. This usually is found at the last few pages of the yearbook. Advertising in the yearbook should be added to advertising packages offered by Anime North to potential companies.

Hard cover of course would be preferred.

3. An estimated cost of the book, based on how many people will actually buy a yearbook.
I have contacted some staff of yearbook companies and have done some research on my own. They say, on average, $10-15 for a soft cover and $20-30 for a hard cover.
Considering that last year we have received 7000 attendees, the convention is going to grow considerably next year. This is without a doubt, especially since YTV gave the convention huge publicity last year.

If we were to estimate that 8000 attendees come next year, and 4000 purchase yearbooks, that is still a huge number to decrease the cost per yearbook.

4. Who will print the book, who will be responsible for shipping and handling, and how much will the shipping and handling cost.
Jostens offers to ship the yearbooks themselves for a paid plan, which I feel is highly recommended in our situation. Shipping and handling cost is theirs to mandate.
http://www.jostens.com/yearbook/index.asp

5. A timeline showing deadlines for collecting material, producing the layout, when the printer will have the books ready, and the final release date.
All material should be collected by early June. Layout creation should take until the fall. And hopefully the books will be released early in the following year.

6. What equipment do you have to complete this project, and what you would
need from Anime North.
Certainly help from the staff, to promote the yearbook. Advertise it on the website, have people at the booths ask each attendee if they want a yearbook, etc.
Of course, photographers will be required and some staff to write their bit and cover events of the con.

7. Profiles on the people who have committed or will commit to the project, the roles and responsibilities of those people, and what previous
experience those people had in carrying out those roles.
Since the idea has not really been broadcasted, not many people know about this. There are some people in the lineup, and I'm sure more people will join if Anime North publicizes that they have a yearbook and need a dedicated committee. From personal experience, my yearbook committees were even as small as 7 people, and they still managed to pull off a great yearbook and have lots of fun enjoying it!

I hope that I have helped in some general responses to your questions.

Hope to hear from you soon.

- Elaine

Nyo_kun
11-05-2003, 07:04 PM
Having a DVD woud be great though because you could have Stage Ninjas do the movement between screen choices and you could get shots of the costumes from more than one angle, meaning all the quality of it could be shown, not just half of it.

Kisa
11-05-2003, 07:15 PM

and why doesn't Kisa herself be head of the yearbook, since she has sooo much knowledge. currently no one has volunteered as head, so i say go for it

Why doesn't Kisa herself be the head of the yearbook? Kisa didn't volunteer to do it, because she's not interested in working on an 'Anime North' yearbook. "Interest" and "volunteering" are two very different things.

Mostly tho, it's because Kisa doesn't trust that a pack of idealistic volunteers would be able to do things Her Way and get the job done to Her Satisfaction without more trouble then it was worth.

Practicality and experience and knowledge I have in abundance, but the Desire? No. I'm not dumb enough to think I can make a yearbook, have two masq. entries, and a possibility of three new costumes. And the Costumes are more important to me then something people/friends are already providing for free. Now, if it had been a *cosplay* Book I might have had to think about it a bit more...

That said, I'd of course be willing to offer advice and suggestions to whoever does decide to do it. I'm just generous like that. Tho it was sweet of you to suggest it. I'll be sure to be as helpful as I can in the future!

Also, Kisa doesn't play well with others in the sandbox. ^_^

lainey
11-05-2003, 09:16 PM
i know...
big costume projects and stuff...
so little time for everything LoL

i've proposed the idea, but I personally cannot take responsibility.

Currently searching for someone who wants to take head, because I have a load of costumes in my pile.

Eleryth
11-06-2003, 03:43 AM
I just thought of something else. I have no idea how much this would cost, or if there is interest, but maybe an AN costume calendar? I think TT has one (I really have no idea, I have never seen one, only heard rumors). You could do photo collages, it could be all in color, you could include little blurbs of info/advertising on the pages with the dates.... and it sounds a lot easier to start out with than a yearbook (which is a massive undertaking).

It would be cheaper, it could be a colorful reminder of costumers and the fun times. Also fairly light for mailing purposes. You could even include a special pull-out of all the masq winners, or big group photos or something. Like an AN poster of sorts. And have random information about AN spread throughtout, and AN marked on the calendar for the coming year?

Just tossing it out there.

Because really, the people I can see being intersted in the yearbook the most are the costumers. So, why not cater to them?

lainey
11-06-2003, 08:26 AM
the problem with the calender...
only a few costumers will be in the calender and there will be lots of...

issues with that lol

nuriko001
11-06-2003, 10:12 AM
HAHAH why don't you just mussh everyone on the page AHHAHA everyone will become one.. big mass of faberic and skin tehhehe

Ninja Sensei
11-06-2003, 02:24 PM
... maybe an AN costume calendar? I think TT has one (I really have no idea, I have never seen one, only heard rumors).

TT was going to do a calendar but it was found to be too difficult to set up shoot times, costumes/dress qualifications, etc. ... a big mess. (Kudos to "Silent Bob" tho for his attempts at setting it all up :) )

Bob found that it would cost between $25 and $45 depending on the print costs, size of the print run, colour quality, etc.

I still think this is a great idea though. Go for it! :)

heki-chan
11-06-2003, 09:08 PM
the calendar sounds like a good idea :D

Eleryth
11-07-2003, 12:15 AM
As for the calendar, you could announce it before hand, and have a special place/room used for taking decent photos, and have people sign up beforehand, if possible. I realize getting everyone signed up beforehand is impossible, but it would give an idea of those interested.

It can even be mentioned that groups are preferred (more cosplayers in one shot), and that not all photos will make it in. The picture part could be collage-style, to get more pics in, and a large photo-collage of costumes as a pullout in the middle?

I am ranting, here, I know....sorry!

I didn't think it would be that expensive (referring to what ninja sensei said), but it probably wouldn't be as high quailty as SB from TT intended, I think. Many colleges and universities print calendars, and you might be able to get a deal from a printing/publishing company.

I don't think it would be glossy (that would be nice, but also more expensive), but for a first time thing, who knows, right? If there is a fair amount of interest, it can get bigger and better. And if you want to fit more people in, have it be a 16 month calendar, to cover the last few months of the current year before the next one...

You could even center a pic of a VA (or group of VAs) and then surround that photo with pics of people in costumes from that series, or series' they have been voices for, or something....

Ok, I really should go now. I think it's because I didn't eat lunch...wasn't that hungry. But now I am.

Either one, though, would require a lot of work. I just think the calendar would be a bit less (having never made one, I don't know). Unless, as someone mentioned, they wanted an online yearbook - which would be a lot of work to give to people for free.

angelcosmos
11-12-2003, 05:03 PM
In regards in the calendar idea, does that mean there won't be an AN yearbook?

If so, I'm okay with that because it does seem to be quite a bit of challenge and time consuming.

May be each month could have a 'theme' of cosplayer collages (good idea Eleryth!):

- Video Games (FF and others, sorry I can't list others b/c I don't play games v_v)
- Anime/Manga
- EGL/jrock
- Guests from the past year with autograph scans ^_^
- Panels
- Masquerade photos
- Photos of Dealer's room (may be?)

I think the best way to choose which video games, anime/manga, egl/jrock, etc. should be picked would be by a poll on Anime North's site or on the message board?

Would this be easier to handle? =/ If publishing a calendar will be expensive may be it could be posted on Anime North's site for everyone to print out? Or may be it could be used as a wallpaper on the desktop for people to remember about Anime North? hee hee

Ariati
11-12-2003, 07:59 PM
Hmmm.. which ever are created calender, yearbook or yearbook on CD I'll most likely get one, so I can preserve the memories since last year I forgot my camera.. -_-; so I got no pictures of cosplayers or anything and if there was a yearbook (on CD or not)/calender it would be great for people like me without a camera and too lazy to go buy one... lol

lainey
11-12-2003, 09:40 PM
if you have suggestions, pleast make the suggestion on the anime north board...!

i hope someone takes initiative with these things..
i made the proposal and all, but i am not planning to be head or anything.

just start up a ruckus :D

lainey
11-14-2003, 11:09 PM
i just had a meeting with the publications head...
anyone interested in working on it?

please post your contact and experience!

Nagii
02-22-2004, 11:43 AM
Excellent Idea