PDA

View Full Version : cosplay stereotypes


rainydaylulu
10-21-2002, 07:46 PM
hi...me again, the newbie wannabe cosplayer who really only has experience in making costumes for musicals and rocky horror...

i was just wondering, do any of you less-than-perfect cosplayer girls get intimidated by the abundance of gorgeous half-naked catgirls and faye valentines etc etc etc...?

i know that at rocky and ren faire, there are just as many "big" girls that are considered adorable, talented and such as there are cute little model-types...but this is the main reason i'm scared to cosplay.

any thoughts on this?

jilly-cat.

aeva
10-21-2002, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I'm a little intimidated, but that's okay. I'm doing what I love to do, so nya. They may have more talent than myself, but I'm still having a helluva good time. ^^

hi...me again, the newbie wannabe cosplayer who really only has experience in making costumes for musicals and rocky horror...
ROCKY HORROR!
<- obsessed
I just saw it live the other day, and I had the most wonderful time. *-* Went as an unconvientional conventionalist. Met drag queens, too. Much fun, it was. ^______________^ </bragging>

Koumori
10-21-2002, 08:19 PM
No. I do very different kinds of cosplay than those girls. If they have it, they might as well flaunt it; I don't hold it against them. The kind of people who would follow them around just because they're showing off their thighs aren't the kind of people I want following me around anyway. Live and let live.

Besides, I wouldn't say I see an "abundance" of any one body type in particular. Takes all kinds.

Karisu-sama
10-21-2002, 09:34 PM
I like taking cosplay pics of people in cool COSTUMES. I feel this deserves recognition. Unlike some cosplay pic sites, I do not take pics based on who has the most "popular" body type as according to our high-pressure media.

Do what you like, don't feel intimidated! :)

Himemiya
10-21-2002, 09:38 PM
It is there to think about, the skinnier/cuter/prettier girls usually get more attention ^_^ But I try not to turn down a costume idea because I've seen someone smaller do it before.

Bobbi
10-22-2002, 01:20 AM
There's times when I feel very intimindated. I'm not really that big, but I'm also not skinny. I'm just there. I'm also short and I've got a bigger bust line, so it only makes me look bigger. Such a pain. I love making costumes and wearing them, but I feel like I don't get as much attention as say, someone who's skinny and wearing next to nothing. It bothers me even more when I see sites that make fun of girls who cosplay and aren't exactly the stereotypical size 2. But you know what? I'm doing this because I like it, and if anyone feels the need to poke fun at me, let them. It doesn't make them any better.

Rosiel
10-22-2002, 09:13 AM
> do any of you less-than-perfect cosplayer girls get intimidated by the abundance of gorgeous half-naked catgirls and faye valentines etc etc etc...?

Why look at others for a standard?
You're YOU and that's what's important.

And not everyone has the same idea of beauty. I for one don't find these "gorgeous" cat girls all that, but then I never understood why people thought the girls in Baywatch were cute either. o_O;;; There are many types of beauty that can be appreciated by many different people. The key is being confident in who you are, in thinking you are beautiful, and others will think you are beautiful too.

In conclusion, don't compare yourself to others, especially based on a set of guidelines that were dictated from the pop culture establishment. And, well, don't run around a con half-naked either. >_<;;;;

Celine
10-22-2002, 11:00 AM
Personally, I'm not bothered by all the beautiful people out there. They certainly don't dominate the community or the photo sites of cosplayers. Most of them are really nice people since, overall, cosplay is a happy little community. There really isn't a reason to be intimidated by them. It's not like an "us vs. them" perspective- we are all cosplayers, no matter what we look like.

If you're worried that they might get more attention than you, choose a costume that's attention getting and then do your best to make it as impressive as possible. Giant mascots, for example, get a LOT of attention, regardless of what the person wearing it looks like (though I've seen a good number of very cute people who wear mascots, counter to popular belief!). Other very intricate costumes, like large dresses similar to ren faire stuff (personal experience speaking here), or costumes with really unusual and creative pieces (swords, wigs, wings, etc.) draw a ton of attention as well! And if you make a costume which knocks people's socks off, they don't care as much about what you look like because they see the costume.

The biggest benefit that incredibly beautiful women have over the less-than-perfect ones out there is when they wear less. I'm not saying that you shouldn't wear whatever you want, but if you're cosplaying just to get more attention, work with what you have! And girls, no matter what their size, ALWAYS get attention for wearing less.

Mink
10-22-2002, 11:09 AM
That is totally true!

I do feel a little intimidated by the beautiful cosplayer only because they tend to show less. I mean, its not really fair that they get all the attention but hey, thats just the way life goes. I also hate when you make other people costumes and then they get all the attention. That makes me crazy (and is the reason why I am starting on my AX03 costumes now)

Ayaka
10-22-2002, 11:22 AM
I've done Faye . . . and stood next to people who were really gorgeous. Yeah it did make my self-esteem twinge, when I got the photo developed . . . But I also know that her hair was inaccurate. lol. Petty, I know. But I'm saying, I'm proud of how well I know Faye's character. I don't have any really encouraging things to say beyond that, lol. I haven't really come to terms with wearing the outfit around yet. oo;;; Except I was much more comfortable in it the second time I wore it. I sort of forgot exactly what kind of outfit I was walking around in, though not completely. But it became my outfit.

Celine
10-22-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Mink
I also hate when you make other people costumes and then they get all the attention.

Hmmm... I feel differently on this. I am very proud when people recognize the weird costumes I make for friends. It makes me happy to see friends having a good time and enjoying their costumes. ^_^ I've never really felt overshadowed by a costume I made for someone else- and I don't mind loaning out my costumes to friends (even if they get more attention), because it's cool to have the costume get more exposure. But if this is a concern of yours, then good luck working on your AX costume! If you're starting already, I'm sure it will turn out very well!

Ayaka- You were a great Faye. You pulled her off well. You had the hair. :P I *wish* I could pull Faye off!

Rosiel
10-22-2002, 11:47 AM
> I also hate when you make other people costumes and then they get all the attention.

I'm PROUD of my friends getting exposure in costumes I have created for them!

Although, I would not lend costumes to friends... first of all because as a rule I am not big on lending clothes (or anything, really) to people who aren't very close to me, but also because I spent so much time and blood and sweat and tears, they are like my babies. ^___^

Shima-Mizu
10-22-2002, 03:32 PM
if you have it flaunt it, but if you don't have it, PLEASE SPARE US. I only have a problem with the really big girls who go to I-CON wearing the super tight 5 sizes too small leather costumes that thier breasts and fat are falling out of on all sides. All I can say, is just ew.

Ayaka
10-22-2002, 10:10 PM
> You were a great Faye. You pulled her off well. You had the hair. :P I *wish* I could pull Faye off!

Thanks. ^^ And I didn't have the hair; I had a good wig. XD Go wigs! Okay, so my parents were not hot on the idea of me dying my hair dark purple permanently . . . eh. Like I said, go wigs!

Shadow Lady
10-22-2002, 10:30 PM
It dosn't really bother me (about 95 percent of the girls at my school are skinny little barbies so I guess I'm used to it). If its comfertable and you have the body then who cares.

I did see this really creeping looking guy dressed up as Sailor Mars once *shudders* but thats a little off the topic.

ChenCzen
10-22-2002, 11:01 PM
i dont know about the other guys on the board, but i like a lil 'meat' on girls bones.

there was a girl in my school named mary jane who was on the track and field team. she threw the discus and the javelin i think, so she was even a bit beefy muscle wise. anyways she was 'plus-sized' but she coulda been a model.

its also alot about tone and definition. usually those scrawny girls you are talking about have legs like sticks... theres supposed to be two parts a calf and a thigh, yknow?

but im not totally knocking the barbie girls. theres no doubt that alot of them are head to toe undeniably attractive.

KuroBara
10-22-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Shima-Mizu
if you have it flaunt it, but if you don't have it, PLEASE SPARE US. I only have a problem with the really big girls who go to I-CON wearing the super tight 5 sizes too small leather costumes that thier breasts and fat are falling out of on all sides. All I can say, is just ew.

I-con seems to be a big cleavage competition 0_0

Anyways, back on topic. As long as people choose costumes flattering to their own body it's all cool. I agree with Rosiel, don't judge yourself by how others look. I know it's hard, I had problems with weight in middle & high school, a short bout with anorexia and still have some distorted body image problems. I learned the hard way that looks aren't worth getting bent out of shape over.

Cosplay the characters you love in the outfits you want to. It's not about how many websites you get on, or how many glomps you get, it's about having fun.

I helped my boyfriend make his Kaiba coat for Otakon (still not finished! eep!) but the Beckett people were so impressed that it'll be in the next Yu-Gi-Oh collector's magazine. Watch me buy 5 ^_^ They also gave him a free booster pack, lol!

Kosei
10-22-2002, 11:25 PM
opinions vary on the subject.... i think cosplay should give anyone some self esteem. I'm little, and actually i dont like it... but to be totally honest, i dont really 'flaunt' anything, everyone who thinks that being a size 1 is cool never got a reality check... I am severly anemic, I think that girls who are appropriatly proportioned for their size is good. even if that means being a size 12 instead of a size 1. I may be able to wear a plugsuit, but in a prom dress i look horrible... Theres something for everybody out there.

rainydaylulu
10-22-2002, 11:51 PM
i really appreciate all the positive-ness floating around here! i was hoping it was more like this in the world of anime cons. ^o^

honestly, it's not like i want to do this for attention. i don't care if i get more attention than anyone else...if i get any attention, i would want it to be because i had a really cool/unique costume. i have always liked dressing up and making costumes...especially when i make them from my own ideas. it just so happens that anime-type characters suit me well. i'm not a fat girl, i'm just...uh...voluptuous, i guess. ^_-

i just get intimidated, like "oh jeez, what am i doing in this outfit? i hope nobody laughs at me."

either way, you all have made me somewhat confident...arigato.

jilly-cat.

Mink
10-23-2002, 01:27 AM
Okay okay, so Im just bitter because I ended up spending all my time hand making my friends costume, and then had no time left for mine....so sue me....*sniff*

AX will be different!

Daala
10-23-2002, 01:19 PM
I'm not the best looking girl around, and I don't mind. But I love to do cosplay and if I see other skinny cosplayer I don't mind them one bit. We're all in the same group I say ^_^ Anime/manga fans.
But I will admit there are some ppl that come only for the cat girls and "cute" girls. It's sad I know some of these types too..LOL

Gothic_Lulu
10-24-2002, 05:49 PM
"if you have it flaunt it, but if you don't have it, PLEASE SPARE US. I only have a problem with the really big girls who go to I-CON wearing the super tight 5 sizes too small leather costumes that thier breasts and fat are falling out of on all sides. All I can say, is just ew."

-Ack...I would have to say that it is just a little bit mean to say something like that (especially if you do not know how it feels to be plus size). I am a girl of size.....not to heavy....not small either. I used to be thin then I got a disease that made me gain weight when i was nine and was only diagnosed a year ago.....I know how it feels....and trust me self conifednce is usually not something that comes in abundance. I have not gone swimming since I was nine untill this year...do i know how tough it is to go in front of ppl in stuff like that. i have come to the conclusion that I will never be the weight that popular culture wants me to be. I have gained some conifedence in that sense so when i hear such comments from ppl that go to cons I usually feel a bit aprehensive after. I have lost 70 pounds but still I am not thin....and I eat healthier than most thin ppl. It even bothers me when I hear that ppl will actually go up to you at cons and say those things. if thin ppl can do it why can't plus size. I mean if you degrade a person like that, i would have to question your on self-conifedence. I mean, why would you want to spoil a persons fun.
I say to all plus size women:Don't be restricted by ppls narrowed minded visions of what you should look like. We are no different from anyone else.

Ganbate!

Long live fat chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(like me ^-^)

-Gothic Lulu

:devil:

Karisu-sama
10-24-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Gothic_Lulu
"if you have it flaunt it, but if you don't have it, PLEASE SPARE US. I only have a problem with the really big girls who go to I-CON wearing the super tight 5 sizes too small leather costumes that thier breasts and fat are falling out of on all sides. All I can say, is just ew."

-Ack...I would have to say that it is just a little bit mean to say something like that (especially if you do not know how it feels to be plus size).
True, and I agree with you that this definition of "if you don't have it" is a rather arbitrary. However, to me it also sounds like "don't wear a costume that is way too tight" and not well-fitted to your body.

I have seen wonderful costumes on plus-size cosplayers that were tailored to their shape, including "skimpy-type" costumes, and the key is really DOES IT FIT WELL?? If it does, it should look good, not like the cosplayer wrapped rubber bands around their body.

I'm skinny, but a costume (or even an article of clothing off the rack! DAMN you, boy-cut "Target" pants!) that is not cut to work with MY body shape will look really unattractive and can definitely make parts of me bulge in unwanted ways, or whatever. It's the clothes! It's not me.

And I definitely would not look good in rubber bands, either. ;)

Ayaka
10-24-2002, 09:20 PM
I've kinda been at both ends; I was thin for some time, and then gained a good bit of weight when I got sick (and lost a lot of what little self-esteem I had as a result), and have since been thin to the point of it being very unhealthy, again because of illness . . . so I have to agree with Karisu here -

>I'm skinny, but a costume (or even an article of clothing off the rack! DAMN you, boy-cut "Target" pants!) that is not cut to work with MY body shape will look really unattractive and can definitely make parts of me bulge in unwanted ways, or whatever. It's the clothes! It's not me.

Whatever body type you have, you CAN find an outfit that will make you look icky. XP Conversely, you should be able to find things that are flattering, too . . .

soshi
10-25-2002, 05:21 PM
I dunno... I seem to have bad luck with costumes.. I've had a bunch of people look at me and cringe, ask me to move out of a group picture, throw blatant insults, ect. and I don't wear anything revealing, so, I dunno, maybe I just happen to run into every single asshole at cons.

I've also gotten a lot of compliments, but they're hard to take with the bad, you know? I always feel like people are just complimetning me to make me feel better. I don't think I've gotten a compliment from someone I don't know.

but I'm cosplaying Final Fantasy X-2 Yuna anyway, and anyone who doesn't like it can kiss my fat white ass. XP

Tenjou
10-25-2002, 05:56 PM
[ if you have it flaunt it, but if you don't have it, PLEASE SPARE US. I only have a problem with the really big girls who go to I-CON wearing the super tight 5 sizes too small leather costumes that thier breasts and fat are falling out of on all sides. All I can say, is just ew. ]

^^: I'm really the opposite. I'll probably never make/wear/buy a skimpy costume.

Reason Number 1: My odd little puddginess. O_O; not pretty.

Reason Number 2: Unwanted fanboy attension. >_> I get enough at school. Blech.

Reason Number 3: I don't want pictures of me on/in/at the [insert place] that make me uncomfortable. Or me showing cleavage, a regular bad picture, etc.

Those are my reasons.
=I

Kurenai
10-26-2002, 10:32 AM
Wow...lately I've been feeling like a heifer and reading this thread makes me feel much better ^_^ I think that people should cosplay whomever the hell they want, as long as it's in good taste.

soshi
10-26-2002, 11:49 AM
there should be a "cosplayers with imperfect bodies" meeting at every con, where we can all talk about how sexy we are and eat cookies. XD

Yggdrasil Pie
10-26-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by soshi
there should be a "cosplayers with imperfect bodies" meeting at every con, where we can all talk about how sexy we are and eat cookies. XD

Yeaa! That would be fun... heh..heh...heh...

Hikaruchan
10-26-2002, 07:33 PM
Cookies? I say order pizzas to eat in front of the waifs. Seriously though, it might be good to have a panel about costuming without a 'perfect' body.

Ukayoru no Chou
10-26-2002, 07:45 PM
Ahhh, this thread is makeing me laugh, and I agree with Soshi XDDD that would just be so funny...V_V;

I got the stupid little clumps of fat hanging off me , and the stupidly large chest that makes me look even fatter as it is..and no matter how much I do anything ( exsercise ) dosent seem to help, and I don't like to eat much anyways. -_- either its just going to stay on until one day its going to poof off..or I need to do moreeeeee stuff o.O;; er...off topic..yah..but..I'll get back soon...

BUT ANYWAYS, until something happens, im stuck the way I am, cant do much, I went to Fanime, had fun, and im alive. And usally it bugs me..but I got friends who think I look good as I am, so ..meeh..@_@;

But, yes please , cover up as much as possible.. Its just wrong when it looks like your circulation is being cut off. o.o; Oh, and I was going to say. I've got broad shoulders, and hips, I was never built to be tiny , or close to "really thin " ..IM not waaaaaaayyy over weight, and Im never going to be wayyy under weight. So. Whatever, im stuck..this has been to long

</rant>

soshi
10-26-2002, 08:03 PM
I don't think it's bad when bigger girls wear skimpy stuff, they just need skimpy stuff that FITS.

for example: I'm making FFX-2 Yuna (and this is the only thing I'm working on for the moment, so, I'm prone to ramble about it), but I'm altering the design ever-so-slightly to fit my body. her little booty shorts are apparently SPANDEX and they show her, uh, ass cleavage. X_o; soo I'm going to make those out of something thicker, like sweat material, and longer. because no one needs to see my ass hanging out. I'm also lowering the mid-drift top, because no one needs to see my tummy.

even with those alterations, it's still a skimpy costume. my back and cleavage will be out for all the world to see.. ^^; but the costume will fit me, and it won't look like I'm falling out all over the place, which I think is the biggest "EEK" factor with most people.

um.. yeah.. rambling.

Hikaruchan
10-27-2002, 12:25 AM
I've got broad shoulders and am large framed, so I will never be a little thing no matter what (I actually fit mens patterns better than womens). I do want to loose some weight, though - but I don't let that stop me from cosplaying. There are a couple of getting toward skimpy costumes I want to do - once I can figure out how to do them tastefully.

Ayaka
10-27-2002, 05:16 PM
Hey. There's no such thing as a perfect body. Without surgery, anyway . . . but still, no, no perfect body.

*wonders if she can have some cookies*

Hikaruchan - They had one at AXNY, actually, it was more general than that though. But Ranma was on it.

Oshi
10-27-2002, 06:45 PM
I try to cosplay within my body type. Like, Kaze: gaunt, semi-muscular arms, like I have. Seifer is totally covered, so no problem there. Auron, again, gaunt but semi-muscular arms.
Now Kurim from .hack//SIGN, he bears his chest. I have decent pecs, but my abs arn't visible... yet... I'm working on that... trying to burn off this gut I developed from sitting in front of the computer so much...
*tightens his abs and feels how much fat is left* Oooh... I'm making good progress ^_^;;; THank you DDR! XD


...yes, what I lack in upper body strength is compensated by lower and middle...

Ali-kun
10-27-2002, 07:22 PM
*sniff* Are thin-but-not-anime-style-anorexic people allowed to have cookies toooooo? I like cookies!

I do agree with...er...who said the line about people with too-small costumes they're hanging out of? *scrolls up* soshi! Yeah, I totally agree x.x Well, any clothing should fit you...which INCLUDES costumes. Too-tight clothing that's squeezing your body in weird places makes you look like you have extra fat even if you -don't-.

...I was going to add another few very deep, thoughtful sentences to this post, but Erin sent me an IM about smiling Mana cosplayers and it made me giggle and now I've totally forgotten what else I had planned to say XD

...oh, hmm, I think it was about people who DO feel they have to stay with body type in cosplay...that is cool...as long as you don't hold others to your standards ^_^

Karisu-sama
10-27-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Ali-kun
...oh, hmm, I think it was about people who DO feel they have to stay with body type in cosplay...that is cool...as long as you don't hold others to your standards ^_^
Bingo! :)

pakachu420
10-28-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by soshi
there should be a "cosplayers with imperfect bodies" meeting at every con, where we can all talk about how sexy we are and eat cookies. XD

shoot, i'm there!!!
free food, good looking cosplay girls, more free food!!!


^__^;;
...wait, imma guy. guess i wasnt really supposed to post on this topic but since im here i guess i might as well give a little encouragement to all of the selfconcious women.

GO FOR IT!!!!
cosplay as who ever you want. as long as you are comfortable with who you are, why care what other people think.

p.s.
if you at AX and anybody starts to talk sh**, look for me i'll handle them :skidude2:

Nine
10-28-2002, 12:44 AM
I'm all for anyone cosplaying any character.. no matter what body type, and gender they are. Cosplay is fun, so go out and have it. I've seen some girls that aren't a perfect 10 cosplay perfect 10 characters, and a lot of people get disgusted and even sometimes horrified because of that. You know what? If you have the guts, no matter what size you are, to go out like that then I think that's VERY awesome. Don't listen to the shallow idiots that base their opinion of beauty from the stereotyped people in the media...

Myself, I am 220lb. I was 260lb when I started to cosplay. I was obease when I started cosplaying, and now I'm just over weight. Did it ever bother me when I cosplayed? Unfortunately, it did. It bothered me because I found myself disgusting. Did it bother others? It bothered the shallow people, but the others at the convention who went there for a good time, to go there to have fun and to meet others... the people who hold no stereotyped image of the perfect male in their mind saw past my exterior (I'm making myself sound like I was an ugly freak.. I'm not I was just really big..) and found the fun loving me.

Now I am just over weight... I still don't meet upto the stereotyped image that shallow people only care about, and I'm happy about that.

Don't get bothered by the idiots who pay more attention to the half naked, as thin as a tooth pick cosplayers... Heck, you know what? The "half naked, as thin as a tooth pick cosplayers" aren't shallow people... (well some can, but not all.. Just like how some large fat cosplayers can be shallow...) They are nice people and it's not their fault that shallow idiots drool all over them.

We all are who we are, and we should all be proud of ourselves.

Karisu-sama
10-28-2002, 02:05 AM
You go, Nine! :)

Lady
10-29-2002, 09:27 AM
I think above any other issues is whether or not you feel comfortable in your costume. When I did my first cosplay (Aeris Gainsborough) it certainly wasn't the world's best costume, but I was thrilled to be wearing it and running around with my friends. People took photos of me left and right that year.

This year I went as Emeralada from Xenogears (ripped shirt, barely there skirt, thigh high boots version), and I was uncomfortable the whole time. Half of it was me knowning I wasn't in the best shape I've ever been in (though certainly not overweight), and the other half was that I'm used to covering up and wearing big, loose clothing. Going from big loose things to practically nude wasn't very fun. Hence, I didn't have as much confidence, and I think it really shows in the photos (and lack of photos) that people took of me.

Wear what you like, what you think flatters you, and what makes you happy. *nods* In the end, it matters more about whether you're pleased with yourself and how you looked than with how other people responded.

-Lady

Something Lulu
10-29-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by soshi
because no one needs to see my ass hanging out.

(First of all, Soshi your costume sounds like it will be beautiful. :))But honestly, I'm not crazy about seeing anybody's ass hanging out. Male, female, large, or small. I don't care if they're a model in their free time, I don't wanna get stuck walking behind someone in the exhibitor's hall or wherever and have their butt staring me in the face. That's definately not why I go to cons. However, if people want to wear clothing like that, it's up to them, and more power to them for being that secure.

As for me, I get really uncomfortable wearing revealing costumes. I've always had a skewed image of myself and I actually get self-conscious from the male attention at the cons. So when I'm in costume I just try not to think anything at all about what people might think about my appearance, whether positive or negative. The issue of all the attention the skinny-model types get keeps coming up, and even though I think I'm far from being one of those, that kind of attention really isn't all that great.

Hikaruchan
10-29-2002, 01:28 PM
I am not interested in seeing anyones arse, either. Cleavage can be sexy, but rear ends - ehh.

soshi
10-29-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Something Lulu
(First of all, Soshi your costume sounds like it will be beautiful. :))But honestly, I'm not crazy about seeing anybody's ass hanging out. Male, female, large, or small. I don't care if they're a model in their free time, I don't wanna get stuck walking behind someone in the exhibitor's hall or wherever and have their butt staring me in the face.

(thanks! ^_^)

*lol* I agree ~ but apparently loads of the male otaku population will not. I honestly think that if there wasn't anyone to leer at exposed body parts, no one would be exposing them.

The issue of all the attention the skinny-model types get keeps coming up, and even though I think I'm far from being one of those, that kind of attention really isn't all that great. [/B]

I feel the same way, but it seems that girls who want to be recognized in the cosplay community seem to think they HAVE to wear something revealing, and that sexy = good.

actually, it seems that if any girl wants to be recognized in anything, they think they need to wear something revealing. ~_~;;

does anyone else notice that most women cosplayers think costume quality, effort, and skill are really admirable qualities, while most guy cosplayers think showing more and looking like a 35-20-35 anime character are admirable? this is no offense to all guys, as I know some very decent ones myself, but this does seem to be one of the biggest factors for girls cosplaying (or not cosplaying) skimpy outfits - male attention.

sorry for rambling. ^_^; (and for focusing all on girl cosplayers, but they, *I'M* a girl, so...)

Shinobu
10-29-2002, 07:56 PM
Hiyas~~!
Like one girl said Im not huge but not skinny, Im just there. Some days I look skinny others Im there. XD
Well anyway, I do have a lot of pretty girls in my school (I accutally have a friend that's a model) so I am also used to it. Some times I feel bad about myself when I see big-busted, skinny anime characters, but Im on weightwatchers to loose a few pounds so Im not just "there" and I can be skinny like a normal person. ^^;;

Koumori
10-29-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Shinobu
Im on weightwatchers to loose a few pounds so Im not just "there" and I can be skinny like a normal person. ^^;;

"Just there" IS normal.

venus2869
10-30-2002, 09:33 AM
Who's to say what's normal? You see people cosplaying as elfs, dwarfs and other non-human creatures at many a con. That doesn't mean that they are the wrong size for it, right?

I'm a mom, and in my costumes, I have to have them fit as comfortable as possible simply because if anything happens, I want to be able to move to help my child. Yeah, I know I'm not gonna fit a size 6 anytime soon, but I pick my costumes on these points:

Do I like the person?

Do I like the show/game it's from?

Will I be able to make it?

How much will it cost?

Will I be comfortable in it?

What will the care and upkeep of this be?

I give it up to those girls that got it going on and can fill out a Mai cosplay perfectly! But, I look to see for the little things that really make a costume perfect...DETAILS! From the wig, to the buttons on a lapel, shoe, everything should be as close as the real thing as it can be.

This whole community is about loving to cosplay & being able to do what you want either at a con or with friends and such. Don't let society get at you, since cosplaying is kinda anti-society anyway!

Koumori
10-30-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by venus2869
But, I look to see for the little things that really make a costume perfect...DETAILS! From the wig, to the buttons on a lapel, shoe, everything should be as close as the real thing as it can be.


Well, that too is a matter of opinion, exhaustively covered on other board threads. ;)

SailorAndromeda
10-30-2002, 01:01 PM
Hello ^^
Ok, well, I guess I'm somewhat "skinny", but by no means model type. I have some self-confidence issues, but that stems from having a kid and such. I HATE my tummy, and refuse to wear anything that reveals it until I have it, um, fixed or something.
ANyway...It's not always the skimpy costumes that get attention. This year at Otakon, I was Princess Zelda from Ocarina of Time, and my family and I were constantly getting stopped for photos! I'd never had an experience like this, but trust me Zelda is in NO way skimpy! So, I believe that quality DOES get noticed, and that you don't have to be half-naked at a con. I personally don't go for the attention though. I just go to meet other fans and see other people's costumes.
Oh, and there really is no "normal". It's all how you view yourself, and if you're happy with it. No one else's opinion should really matter ^^
~Liz

Karisu-sama
10-31-2002, 12:38 AM
Having 2 kids myself, I am VERY familiar with the "tummy issue" ^^. Kids just somehow INSIST on leaving behind little presents like stretch marks, reshaped belly muscles, and looser skin...

I've had to get creative at times with characters whose costumes want to show more midriff.

As far as those characters with um, big chests: well, stuffing and creating cleavage with sport tape goes only so far if one is modestly endowed. So what. ^^

Airisu
10-31-2002, 01:39 AM
If you look feel good, you look good, it should matter what size you are ^_^ I've seen lots of great costumes out there. I've gotten comment not because of my size.. but of my height ~.~ I am very short but I dun care I'll dress up like I want no matter what people say!! Who says Nehelenia from Sailor Moon can not be four foot 11!!

Kellie
10-31-2002, 01:01 PM
First off to Karisu-sama: ;-; You sound like an awesome mom! I'm STILL trying to get my mom to cosplay with me! She'd make an awesome Mama from Kodomo no Omocha. I almost got her to wear a moogle pom-pom, but I didn't have time to make it.

Second, to Nine - I'm there with you. I think I'm around the 200 range myself, but really. I too am happy I don't meet the stereotypical image of a "normal" woman.


I've always been the short, stout and stocky girl ALL of my life. Even when I took dance lessons, I was pudgy and that was for like... seven years or so. I even got picked on all through elementary and middle school because of the way I looked. Self-esteem dropped and I got extremely depressed. I lost weight in my freshman year of highschool and I weighed around 180 or more and I have to admit, I looked good because of my build. Just like because of my cuild and so forth, I would never really buy a pair of boots because my calf muscles .

I know for a fact that a good, healthy weight for me would be 150. I don't want to be "skinny" and I don't want to wear a size 0. I would be extremely pleased to wear a size 13 for the rest of my life. After all, some of the most well-known women wore a size 14. ;)

I think, just like everyone else has said, it all matters on how YOU think of yourself. It took me a long time to actually like myself both physically and mentally and I finally do. So, as far as cosplaying goes, go for it. ^_^ Have fun!

Mei Lan Chang
10-31-2002, 02:14 PM
Oh wow, I forgot to look on the anime costumes boards for awhile and look what I miss.

This is a really really great thread that I think addresses a very important point of cosplay: the body under the clothes.

And I am so happy to see that -almost- everything has been supportive of cosplayers not having to feel confined in what they want to cosplay as simply because of bodily shape. I mean...such a very very small percantage of girls are as think as the girls in most animations...and to be honost, if anime girls were magically poofed into real people, they would look reaaaaally funny.

Example: Stick legs and arms, chest size that would no doubt snap their frail spines, eyes the size of oranges and mouths generally without lips.

There are so many funny things to pic on about the characters we make up in our heads. Real flesh and blood humans are hardly human if they are perfect in everyway, let's just do our best to have fun with the characters we love.

Gothic_Lulu
11-02-2002, 08:58 PM
Well said, Mei and Cherri!!!

I totally agree!!


"After all, some of the most well-known women wore a size 14."

Marlyn Monroe was a size 16......and she is one of the biggest sex symbols of all time!

I also never want to be a size 0....it is not me.....as long as I am healthy and fine with myself I feel there is no need to starve myself to fit into America's facist beauty standards....but that is just my two cents

;)

-Gothic Lulu:devil:

Radical Urd
11-07-2002, 07:55 PM
Okay
A) I notice that mostly skinny girls get the attention, becasue they best portray the chara. And most anime charas are very beautiful, but there have been many costumes that are gorgeous and ingenious and i don't even remeber their faces.
2) Since I have a big bust and not exactly a narrow waist(picture Chel from the Road to El Dorado), I do feel intimidated, but I still do my costumes (in moderation) maybe making the same costume as some other skinny girl, just in my size.
3)I still get as much attention as some other girls, if you have a good costume how could anyone refuse?
G)I'm happy when I make a cotume and the person who wears it gets recognized, if it wasn't for me most of them wouldn't have one and would be left out.
18)Also like I said keep it in moderation what I think Shima-Mizu is trying to say is that you should make a costume your size and know what your size is. There is one girl that I admire, she goes to California cons, she's a big girl and she wears the skimpy outfits, she just makes them her size. I admire her soo much. Where ever she is I hope her more luck in cosplay. May she always aspire me!

Alaria
11-08-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Celine

If you're worried that they might get more attention than you, choose a costume that's attention getting and then do your best to make it as impressive as possible. Giant mascots, for example, get a LOT of attention, regardless of what the person wearing it looks like (though I've seen a good number of very cute people who wear mascots, counter to popular belief!). Other very intricate costumes, like large dresses similar to ren faire stuff (personal experience speaking here), or costumes with really unusual and creative pieces (swords, wigs, wings, etc.) draw a ton of attention as well! And if you make a costume which knocks people's socks off, they don't care as much about what you look like because they see the costume.

I agree with u there, Celine. I guess it all depends on what ur going for. If ur making the costume with the intent of getting alot of pics and attention, then yes, u hafta go with something more flashy, whether its intricate, huge plushie, or scanty. I say do whatever costume u want, regardless of the attention, because you love the character or love the costume and want to do it, and do it to the best of your ability. There will always be someone who will recognize the costume and love the anime or game and want a pic. As for those scantily clad girls, if they do a great job on the costume, major props to them, but u have to worry for them where those pics go afterward!

avagoyle
11-11-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by soshi
there should be a "cosplayers with imperfect bodies" meeting at every con, where we can all talk about how sexy we are and eat cookies. XD

i want to go and eat the cookies!!!

avagoyle
11-11-2002, 03:26 PM
bleh. the reason why i stopped cosplaying... FANBOYS! i mean seriously, why would you WANT them?? o.O;;; craziness.

::sigh:: i am a small, thin, tiny girl. i always want to cosplay these big, bad ass bishounen, but as you can imagine, it doesn't really look right. ah well.

Eriol
11-11-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by avagoyle
bleh. the reason why i stopped cosplaying... FANBOYS! i mean seriously, why would you WANT them?? o.O;;; craziness.

::sigh:: i am a small, thin, tiny girl. i always want to cosplay these big, bad ass bishounen, but as you can imagine, it doesn't really look right. ah well.

It works the other way as well. Fangirls!
Why would you want them???? Just as crazy.

Scarlet Phoenix
11-11-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Mei Lan Chang
and to be honost, if anime girls were magically poofed into real people, they would look reaaaaally funny.

Example: Stick legs and arms, chest size that would no doubt snap their frail spines, eyes the size of oranges and mouths generally without lips.


This is kind of off topic, but I remember hearing once that if Barbie's proportions applied to a normal human being, her neck wouldn't be able to support her head, her legs would be too thin to support her body, and she'd have to go without several internal organs

Just an example of why we should not raise our expectations to the level of inanimate/imaginary characters

Beramode
11-11-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Eriol
It works the other way as well. Fangirls!
Why would you want them???? Just as crazy.

That kind of depends on the degree, actually.

As someone who gets a decent amount of fanthings from both genders (...dont' look at me like that... -_-;;;) I've noticed that the males are usually doing their damndest to hit on you or get you to pose for naughty pictures (surprised? you shouldn't be, if you know anything about the genders) and females tend to just want to sit down, admire your looks and have a nice chat, not necessarily about your appearance or how hot you are or whatever.

Obviously fanthings from both genders will occasionally try to jump on you, glomp you, make you show a little more skin, whatever.... but in terms of fanthings, give me the females any day.

Rosiel
11-11-2002, 05:38 PM
> but in terms of fanthings, give me the females any day.

I have to agree, also being in the realm of cosplayers who attract "fanthings".

Fangirls will glomp you then run away, most of the time, or try to be nice and talk. And tend to take no for an answer if they make advances.

Fanboys, in my experience, tend to be harder to deal with, more obsessive, and in a creepier way. I've had problems with fanboys that went /far/ beyond a simple convention crush. (read: having to involve the authorities) X__X But never with fangirls.

Celine
11-11-2002, 06:09 PM
Fanthings. Yes, that's a good topic all on its own. -_-

Fanthings come in various levels of scariness. I've heard of stalkers of both genders. Both genders are prone to glompage, though fangirls are more common to do so. Fanthings rarely respect your space and usually don't ask before invading it. Personally, I'm not fond of strangers hugging the stuffing out of me, but if they at least ASK first, I'm less annoyed. I'm usually quite terrified of fangirls, since they are always squealing (guys typically don't squeal) and tackling and such.

I would guess that it is reasonable to assume, for a female cosplayer, creepy scary fanboys would be more of a problem. Perhaps we have male cosplayers on this board who've had major problems with fangirls. I could cite examples of freakish fangirls, but they are secondhand. I've had more problems with fanboys, personally. Even when crossplaying!! oooh yes, I have a great story about this guy at Nekocon this weekend... -_-

Fanthings which are also photographers are another peeve of mine, but I think we may have already discussed that.

avagoyle
11-12-2002, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Celine
I would guess that it is reasonable to assume, for a female cosplayer, creepy scary fanboys would be more of a problem.

it's not just the female cosplayers. :P beramode is male and still gets fanboys.

Celine
11-12-2002, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by avagoyle
it's not just the female cosplayers. :P beramode is male and still gets fanboys.

Yes, that is true. Male characters do have fanboys, which are at least as annoying as the fangirls. That's why I said "more of a problem" and not that they are the only source of the problem. ^^

Mei Lan Chang
11-12-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Scarlet Phoenix
This is kind of off topic, but I remember hearing once that if Barbie's proportions applied to a normal human being, her neck wouldn't be able to support her head, her legs would be too thin to support her body, and she'd have to go without several internal organs

Just an example of why we should not raise our expectations to the level of inanimate/imaginary characters

This is very true. Her spine would collapse because of her breast wieght amoung several other bodily disfunctions. It's a song we have all heard before, but our marketed idols, in general, are unrealistic and unhealthy.

Eriol
11-12-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Beramode
That kind of depends on the degree, actually.

As someone who gets a decent amount of fanthings from both genders (...dont' look at me like that... -_-;;;) I've noticed that the males are usually doing their damndest to hit on you or get you to pose for naughty pictures (surprised? you shouldn't be, if you know anything about the genders) and females tend to just want to sit down, admire your looks and have a nice chat, not necessarily about your appearance or how hot you are or whatever.

Obviously fanthings from both genders will occasionally try to jump on you, glomp you, make you show a little more skin, whatever.... but in terms of fanthings, give me the females any day.

I don't care which gender is "worse" at being rabid fans. I merely state that both genders are equally guilty of the behavior.

You are lucky to meet sensible females. I ran into the "glomp" or "hold this sign" up set of females. To substantiate your point, they did ask beforehand. I don't even consider myself handsome or anything, so I'd have to presume it was the costume.

Ranma Saotome
11-12-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Shima-Mizu
if you have it flaunt it, but if you don't have it, PLEASE SPARE US. I only have a problem with the really big girls who go to I-CON wearing the super tight 5 sizes too small leather costumes that thier breasts and fat are falling out of on all sides. All I can say, is just ew.

That's a problem at all cons... Especially those cosplaying females that do Tira Misu. >_<

Ranma Saotome
11-12-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Hikaruchan
Cookies? I say order pizzas to eat in front of the waifs. Seriously though, it might be good to have a panel about costuming without a 'perfect' body.

There was a panel about that at AXNY and I was on it. I also plan on hosting a costuming panel like this at Shoujocon. My co-panelist is MargauxZ, a new cosplayer to the boards. I am looking for another to help. ^^

Daitenshi
11-12-2002, 10:48 PM
Hmmm.... while fanboys can be creepy, fangirls can be rabid and incredibly annoying. As for glomping..... eh, I'd prefer to not get randomly jumped on or touched by either sex, thankyouverymuch.

Fangirls are also really, really bad out of the con scene. My best friend runs inuyasha.org and gets random death threats from girls who "love Inuyasha more than she ever could blah blah blah." scary.

Alaria
11-12-2002, 11:58 PM
:::shakes head:::: that's as bad as guys stalking female cosplayers. I've never heard of girls stalking, though it may very well happen. But either way, how can forget that there is a person underneath the costume...appreciation is ok, hugging, etc, ok, but taking it that far to death threats and stalking is horrible!
I do have to say though, that for what little experience I've had, guys don't get jealous of each other, while girls can get fiercely, perhaps even dangerously so...

Choice
11-13-2002, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by Daitenshi


Fangirls are also really, really bad out of the con scene. My best friend runs inuyasha.org and gets random death threats from girls who "love Inuyasha more than she ever could blah blah blah." scary.

aww how sweet.

...

......

...........

avagoyle
11-13-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Daitenshi
Fangirls are also really, really bad out of the con scene. My best friend runs inuyasha.org and gets random death threats from girls who "love Inuyasha more than she ever could blah blah blah." scary.

*______*

people are scary. ::cough::

if you want a more mature environment, i suggest yaoi con. shiki was basically whored out at that convention and didn't have any problems. i think for the girls, it's mostly the 15, 16-year-olds that do the whole "eeeeeeee ::glomp:: " thing that is so annoying..

it also depends on how you react to it. remember mike/ashita? he gets more than his fair share of fangirls because he sorta plays along with them instead of just firmly telling them to "go away and leave me alone". at anime expo last year they were being more than extremely rude, and kept lifting/taking pictures up his skirt and grabbing his ass.

however, i have heard of fanboys who have tried to do things with girls. shiki knows a girl who was nearly raped by a fanboy at an anime con @____@ ::shivers::

D-mon Onizuka
11-22-2002, 03:27 AM
Time for me to throw down my opinion on this subject.....

*squats down and lits up a cig*

*puff*

Don't be discouraged from what ya wanna do. If ya got the talent to make a costume, hell, even if you're still learning, ya gotta have fun.....know what I mean?

That's what it's all about. Besides, they only people who would judge you by your body and NOT the quality of yer costume, probably don't even hve guy guts to WEAR a costume, y'know?

So just throw on yer cosplay and strut yer stuff! It's all in good fun, so just HAVE fun.................
.............
............
..........know what I mean?

Karisu-sama
11-22-2002, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by avagoyle
*______*
if you want a more mature environment, i suggest yaoi con.
Yep, Yaoi-con was wonderful, mature and RELAXED, and I never felt unsafe at any time or any place there. People behaved like responsible ADULTS = very well.

('course they WERE adults. Yaoi-con is 18+ :D )

sailor-moon
11-22-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Shima-Mizu
if you have it flaunt it, but if you don't have it, PLEASE SPARE US. I only have a problem with the really big girls who go to I-CON wearing the super tight 5 sizes too small leather costumes that thier breasts and fat are falling out of on all sides. All I can say, is just ew.

dude!!i was like WTF!!! so many wonem at I-CON wearing tight outfits, that didnt flatter them the slitest bit!>.<
we need more anime cosplayers there...anyone attending 2003?

Ranma Saotome
11-22-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by sailor-moon
dude!!i was like WTF!!! so many wonem at I-CON wearing tight outfits, that didnt flatter them the slitest bit!>.<
we need more anime cosplayers there...anyone attending 2003?

Hmm... *ponders the thought of going* If I go, I'd need a place to crash...

Rosiel
11-22-2002, 11:53 AM
> anyone attending 2003?

I attended in 2002 and was invited to return in 2003.
So if all goes well I will be there again, at panels and judging the cosplay.

And yes there is a need for more anime cosplayers!

Alaria
11-22-2002, 02:00 PM
errr, what ish I-CON

Peppermintstix
11-24-2002, 06:12 PM
Ok I'm a skinny bitch. I'm 6'0 130 lbs and I don't care. I have two sisters who are also tall but voluptuous, like amazons. Big breast small waist long legs. If you want intimidation try living with them all of your life. But seriously. it never bothered me. Yes I'm flat chested and narrowhipped. but do I care? hell no. My sisters flaunt their breasts and I will flaunt my model thin body for as long as I have it.

Edit: I'll tell you what I am tired of though. I'm tired of other women giving me dirty looks because I am so thin. These women will have nice bodies and still look at me like they want to kill me. I don't bother them. Why do they bother me?

sailor-moon
11-24-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel
> anyone attending 2003?

I attended in 2002 and was invited to return in 2003.
So if all goes well I will be there again, at panels and judging the cosplay.

And yes there is a need for more anime cosplayers!
woohoo! i now know one of the judges, hi, i love you you know that right.:D :::starts workin gon i-con costume::: hehehe