PDA

View Full Version : Name Rants

Kuchikichan
03-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Yeah I don't mean tell us your full name on the Internet and everything but does anybody have any "Ugh! I hate this name!" or "I love this name" things.
For me my name is 1st name: flower 2nd name: Animal. It's the same for my brother. We just figure since our parents have generic Sally and Bob names they wanted to get creative with ours. I don't really mind, I love my name because it's unique. My only real grudge is I don't have a middle name so my initials are HE. What parents consign a innocent baby girl to the initials HE! Ok, end rant.
I would love to hear other peoples weird and funny name stories!

Lithium Flower
03-15-2011, 02:37 PM
H.E.
Hydrangea Elephant?

I think Emmers is a good name.

Cadmium Polyphony
03-15-2011, 02:39 PM
My 'ethnic' birth name, if mispronounced, sounds oddly similar to the onomonopia of a chicken sound.

Fun.

sam vimes
03-15-2011, 02:46 PM
H.E.
Hydrangea Elephant?

I think Emmers is a good name.

I was going to go with Hibiscus Ermine.

Wait, Draw Girl, your name really is Emmers? I thought it was a nickname for Emily. Now I feel dumb.

Arc_The_Lad
03-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Grow up with a name like Gary, I effing dare you.

BsWN
03-15-2011, 03:00 PM
... I have the most Spanish last name ever... And I was named after my grandmother... my first name is one letter away from being a Russian name. Oh how I wish...

Is this going to turn into "Guess The Name?" >.<"

penny_dreadful
03-15-2011, 03:00 PM
My given name is one of those "gender-neutral" names. My surname is also a male first name. The number of people who refer to me as "Mr. R" or get the names mixed up and refer to me as "R.M." is really astonishing, but apparently I should have been born a man, because it would've made life easier for everyone.

Well, tough for everyone. I LIKE my name. It was given to me in a dream. Maybe I was a boy in the dream, though; I don't think you got to find out in advance in those days.

Akiyhrah
03-15-2011, 03:02 PM
My name was totally unique when I was young (it's Kaitlyn). The only other place you heard it was in Ireland. But now it seems like EVERYONE has the same name as me! It sucks... :(
I remember when I'd be in the dollar store and be upset because the name magnets, pens, etc never had my name. Now there is like, four different spellings of it. I miss having a rare name :/

doxiequeen1
03-15-2011, 03:02 PM
I actually like my name, it's not really uncommon, nor is it particularly common. It's kinda gone out of style though.

Angela Michelle

But everyone calls me Angie, which I don't like as much, but i'm more used to it.

For me my name is 1st name: flower 2nd name: Animal. It's the same for my brother.

Well that must get confusing.

Moon Melody
03-15-2011, 03:05 PM
I love my name :)
It's Vicky. But I would have love to have a lot of middle name because a love long long name and mine is just so short !

sailortintin
03-15-2011, 03:08 PM
I like my name~ It all flows. But with the way its pronounced *Has a Y sound in it* and the way it's spelled *Jamelia*, it's almost always miss pronounced.

The Hag
03-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Having once tried to make a hotel reservation for Ms. Dreadful, I can attest to the highly annoying confusion that is caused by her perfectly lovely name.

When I was 6 months old, my parents decided that my first name didn't really fit me, so they decided to call me by my middle name which is, erm, ethnic, I guess. Not western anyway, though really common where my dad was born. However, because they never legally changed my name, all my official papers are still under a name that I never use. Important documents were always getting lost and misfiled :/ Also - my middle name when misspelled, which it often is, is a western boy's name. When spelled right, it is always mispronounced.

On the other hand, I managed to mess up both my kids. They have great first, middle and nicknames. However, we decided to give my daughter my last name (which I kept) and my son my husband's last name. I had not anticipated that this would confuse people to no end. Also, my last name is Asian and my husband's last name is German. So my kids, who are full brother and sister, always get listed in different racial categories.

Arc_The_Lad
03-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Also, my last name is very Irish, despite me being only 1/4 Irish at most, I'm mostly French.

Chaletica
03-15-2011, 03:38 PM
My name is Silke. In Norwegian, this is the word for "silk". Cue "Your name is Silke? My name is Cotton lolololol" jokes. -_- Otherwise, I like my name.

sam vimes
03-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Grow up with a name like Gary, I effing dare you.

As a Joe, I'm unimpressed. My name rhymes with everything.

I have no middle name. My dad didn't have one and insisted his children wouldn't either.

My last name begins with a Z, so I'm doomed to a life of being last for everything.

penny_dreadful
03-15-2011, 03:43 PM
On the other hand, I managed to mess up both my kids. They have great first, middle and nicknames. However, we decided to give my daughter my last name (which I kept) and my son my husband's last name. I had not anticipated that this would confuse people to no end. Also, my last name is Asian and my husband's last name is German. So my kids, who are full brother and sister, always get listed in different racial categories.

I personally LOVE how you named your kids, and I was kind of thinking about doing the same. Of course, I'm not at all attached to the idea of "passing along my legacy" or anything; bearing my father's name is only incidental because that's how white people in the U.S. have traditionally named their kids forever. My last name is much easier to spell and pronounce than SV's, though.

Having grown up with a half-sister whose last name was different (and both of us with different last names than our mother), I also know it can be pretty confusing. We never really cared, though; we're still family.

Also, my last name is very Irish, despite me being only 1/4 Irish at most, I'm mostly French.

The etymology of my last name is technically Old French, and as far as I know I have no French heritage. Freakin' Europeans.

Tonyu
03-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Despite my name is so long it didn't fit on my report cards in elementary school, I like my name. It's two names making up one first name and no middle name. Although for whatever reason everyone assumes I just want to be called by the first part. Why would I introduce myself with both if didn't want to be called my whole name? That boggles my mind. Anyways, aside from having to correct people constantly, it's not that bad.

Akiyhrah
03-15-2011, 03:56 PM
I like my name~ It all flows. But with the way its pronounced *Has a Y sound in it* and the way it's spelled *Jamelia*, it's almost always miss pronounced.

So it's like "ya-me-lia"? I like it :D

All my names are very Irish. My heritage is fairly obvious XD

Pocketfightr
03-15-2011, 04:13 PM
My name is French, despite not having any French blood in me. My understanding is mom was trying to name me after Joan of Arc but as far as I can tell I should have been Jeanne then. I like my name, it's fairly unique and doesn't have any stereotypes attached to it. Shame it's not the common spelling... or people just fail at guessing right.

Axelai
03-15-2011, 04:16 PM
My first name is "Rachelle". In case you've never seen that name, it's pronounced "Ruh Shell". Or, by my southerner friends, "Raw Shay-uhl".

My teacher all semester has been calling me "Ray Chull".

Since I've been called that my entire life (as it seems people seem to mentally block out the last two letters in my name), I don't even care. I let him call me Rachel. Whatever.

Today, I asked him if he got my email. He said, "Yeah, what was your name again?" and I say "Rachelle". He stops and says "Wait, say that again?" and I do. And then he says "Ah shit! I'm sorry! I've been saying it wrong!!" and I'm like "Dude don't worry about it, I'm used to it."

He felt so bad XD;; I really didn't care. Being called that for so many years, I don't even notice the difference anymore.

sailortintin
03-15-2011, 04:16 PM
So it's like "ya-me-lia"? I like it :D

Close :D~ It's pronounced "ja-mel-ya* Most people say "ja-mel-la"

tsukie
03-15-2011, 04:30 PM
For my official name..... well....it is in Chinese...
Three different Chinese characters, three different pronunciations.
I won't say I dislike my name, although the last two characters when pronounced in Chinese sounded like "squid" in Chinese, but I don't love it either.

But I actually like how my name is right now after translating it into English~XD
Because English doesn't have those stresses/accents that Chinese has, my name is pronounced very differently..XDDD
Well, if you include the last name, my name basically sounds like "U-U-U"...
.....Really, it just sounds like three U......

No one has similar name, it's special and funny, so I like it~XDD

penny_dreadful
03-15-2011, 04:32 PM
My first name is "Rachelle". In case you've never seen that name, it's pronounced "Ruh Shell". Or, by my southerner friends, "Raw Shay-uhl".

My teacher all semester has been calling me "Ray Chull".

Since I've been called that my entire life (as it seems people seem to mentally block out the last two letters in my name), I don't even care. I let him call me Rachel. Whatever.

Today, I asked him if he got my email. He said, "Yeah, what was your name again?" and I say "Rachelle". He stops and says "Wait, say that again?" and I do. And then he says "Ah shit! I'm sorry! I've been saying it wrong!!" and I'm like "Dude don't worry about it, I'm used to it."

He felt so bad XD;; I really didn't care. Being called that for so many years, I don't even notice the difference anymore.

I would've thought it was basically a fancy "Rachel", too. :skidude:

At my office, we see a lot of people with "unusual" names. If I'm not sure of the pronunciation, I always ask the student how to say it, and sometimes they tell me there's something they prefer to be called. I try to write the correct pronunciation on their charts.

And then sometimes there are names you would think aren't that hard-- Sean, for example, which is fairly common now and most people know is pronounced "Shawn", but some of the people in my office consistently pronounce it "Seen".

Akiyhrah
03-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Close :D~ It's pronounced "ja-mel-ya* Most people say "ja-mel-la"

Ooh I see! I like that better actually. It's very pretty! :3

KiraCosplayHai
03-15-2011, 04:40 PM
lol, I was actually named after this Lady in Star Trek XD (TREKKIE MUM) and it's a VERY common name here in the UK as an irish name, but mine is spelled without an e. so everyone asks were is the e in my name, and i tell them i lost it XD you don't see girls with my name spelling.
I only Found out my Name was Japanese like last year, so that suprised me :)

And oh god, my last name is after the scottish city. and EVERYONE thinks i'm named after the Burger, NO i'm named after the goddamn city LOL
get it right people XDD

k, rant over.

Axelai
03-15-2011, 04:42 PM
I would've thought it was basically a fancy "Rachel", too. :skidude:

Really? o . O I've met a bunch of people with my name. Its fairly common. I'm surprised people keep getting it wrong. Especially since its based off of "Rochelle" which is also a fairly common name.

penny_dreadful
03-15-2011, 04:46 PM
lol, I was actually named after this Lady in Star Trek XD (TREKKIE MUM) and it's a VERY common name here in the UK as an irish name, but mine is spelled without an e. so everyone asks were is the e in my name, and i tell them i lost it XD you don't see girls with my name spelling.
I only Found out my Name was Japanese like last year, so that suprised me :)

My husband's sister has the same name, same spelling. It's actually a feminine first name in Gaelic, Russian, and Japanese, which is kind of interesting. I think my sister-in-law got the Russian version and was named after a character in a book.

Really? o . O I've met a bunch of people with my name. Its fairly common. I'm surprised people keep getting it wrong. Especially since its based off of "Rochelle" which is also a fairly common name.

Rochelle is a name I see fairly frequently, but I think the "a" in your name is what was throwing me off. The different spellings might be more regional, too.

KiraCosplayHai
03-15-2011, 04:51 PM
My husband's sister has the same name, same spelling. It's actually a feminine first name in Gaelic, Russian, and Japanese, which is kind of interesting. I think my sister-in-law got the Russian version and was named after a character in a book.

Yeah, i found out it has Gaelic, Russian, and Japanese verson of it, so it is very intresting! i only knew the russian version of it before ^^

Akiyhrah
03-15-2011, 04:53 PM

My best childhood friend's name is Rachelle, so whenever I see "Rochelle" I think someone spelled it wrong.. lol

Axelai
03-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Rochelle is a name I see fairly frequently, but I think the "a" in your name is what was throwing me off. The different spellings might be more regional, too.

From what I understand, Rochelle is the English spelling, while Rachelle is the French spelling. Of the same name *shrugs* Name is also more popular in Canada, i hear. Much be the French influence. XD

And idk, I just... think Rachelle is far closer to Rochelle than Rachel. I honestly don't see how "chelle" could be pronounced like "Chel".

My best childhood friend's name is Rachelle, so whenever I see "Rochelle" I think someone spelled it wrong.. lol

XD Yeah, whenever I see "Rochelle" i think its spelled wrong.

LeekFish
03-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Personally I don't really mind my name too much. Christina Marie. *shrugs* Most people call me by at least one of my various nicknames anyway. xD More people call me Fish or Manfred (long story for both of those LOL).

What I do hate though, is the fact that I was named that for my mom's obnoxious over-religious-psychoticness. =________=; Christina has the word "Christ" in it and means God's follower, and Marie was meant to be a variation of Mary or something. My mother attempted shoving religion down my throat for years and it sort of makes me rage that I have such an apparently religious name. >____>; Religion I can ignore. But my name is stuck, and I don't see a point in legally changing it. xD;

For some reason I think Abigail would be a cute name to have though. >w> Maybe I'll name one of my OCs that...

Arc_The_Lad
03-15-2011, 04:57 PM
I also just remembered that my Irish comes from my grandfather, who ironically, can speak perfect French.

Just to confuse you more.

The Hag
03-15-2011, 05:05 PM
My last name begins with a Z, so I'm doomed to a life of being last for everything.

Except in our hearts. :P

Akiyhrah
03-15-2011, 05:10 PM

When I was in high school, I had one teacher who would alternate the attendance and such and do it in reverse alphabetical order every other day so the people at the end of the alphabet weren't always last. But I'm an "O", so I'm pretty much in the middle either way. XD

Ashbrie
03-15-2011, 05:10 PM
I share the same name as a pop star.

Bad jokes--I get them a lot. :(

Arc_The_Lad
03-15-2011, 05:13 PM
O'Brian

What do I win.

Kuchikichan
03-15-2011, 05:13 PM
One of my friend nicknamed me Heath at the beginning of freshman year(last year) and it always cracks me up when people automatically look around for a tough football player and I'm laughing in the corner. This is only funny when you consider my appearance. I'm very twig like, average height, long curly blond hair and has been described as looking like a dancer. Obviously that person has never seen me dance.

Kildread
03-15-2011, 05:14 PM
My first name is awfully common, I don't think much of it.

My last name is commonly mistaken as ending with a 'd' --- because a lot of people think about M1 Garand. (wtf)

As for what I like, I've been obsessed with names that begin with 'K' ever since I first picked 'Kildread' as an online handle (More than 15 years ago). I couldn't explain it in any terms that make any sense other than 'I like those names'.

tifaia
03-15-2011, 05:23 PM

Poor kids. XD Sadly I wish I had that problem. Even with a blatant Native American last name, I am so white that I can only be categorized as Caucasian and nothing else. lol

I like my name. First name was given by my uncle, and I love him to this day for it because the alternatives were Bobby Joe and Robbie Jr. >.> Love you pops but please don't pass your naming legacy to your daughter. Even though my aunt of 26 years still can't spell it properly. French/German origin of a Roman saint.

Last name was awesome for the longest time. Comes from the Sioux, Eastern Dakota/Santee division. I had this giant tree of info that was pretty cool about the origin of the name.

And then a musician got popular while I was a teenager and it became "oh my god! are you related to so-and-so?" Ugh. So the last name is very uncommon, but we've figured out through some research that there are 2 family branches of the same name that are not related to each other.

I was hoping when I got older the hype would have died down. I still get it whenever I have to show my driver's license. Happened at the airport once. That was a fun 5 minutes with security. "Hey, are you related to this guy?" "Yep! That's why I'm flying coach and cramming everything into a carry-on bag!" *cheesy grin* To everyone who works at a register at Walmart, Target, all grocery stores, and Joann's, if I were related to a celebrity, I would not be shopping at your establishment. So stop asking.

Otherwise, I like my name. lol

Cadmium Polyphony
03-15-2011, 06:18 PM
My mate named his dog Megatron.

It's f*cking awesome.

sailortintin
03-15-2011, 06:28 PM
I share the same name as a pop star.

Bad jokes--I get them a lot. :(

Which pop star~ You can tell me. I won't crack a bad joke.

You should also cosplay Papillon again~ We'll have fun together a a Eclair and Papillon duo.

Chimera~Moon
03-15-2011, 06:42 PM
I loved my name when i was little "Allyson" Cause i loved never being able to find keychains or bracelets or w/e in stores that were spelled with a "y" since almost everyone spells it "Allison"
Yeah so my name is Pretty much really english.. Allyson Elizabeth...
then my first name is portugese.. and my other name is english... so yeah
I go by Ally tho...
Allyson is just way too common..

Gabbyv23
03-15-2011, 06:43 PM
My name is always pronounced as "Gabriella" by some idiot. no. there is NO A AT THE END OF IT. It's "Gabrielle" and it is NOT "Gabriel" either. and then people jack up the last name too... like "Van Heusen" or "Van HELSING." No. I'm not a vampire slayer, a Mexican, a boy, or some vampire royalty. I'm a Caucasian, human, girl. ;.; Vampires don't exist, morons!
It's also kind of sad that my first and last name combined are like 18 letters long... couldn't have been something easy to write like "Lea Smith" or something. and "Gabby" rhymes with "Flabby". I don't get how people think my name is pretty.

squ33k t0y
03-15-2011, 06:47 PM
My name is Kristine, with a K.

My parents told me they wanted me to have a name that they thought would sound nice throughout the years. Same with my brothers. I forgot why they chose to spell it with a K, though. I guess just to change it up a bit. Oh, and all our names have two syllables to complement our last name. I'm the only one that that has three syllables in my middle name though. Donno why, lol.

For whatever reason, people can't seem to get my name right. Of course, people want to spell it with a CH, I can understand that. But once they do get it down that it's a K, they start calling me Kristen. Or they say my name as Kristen or Christina. Those aren't my name, but I respond to them anyway. e.e;

My last name, I don't know where it's from. I'm assuming English, as it sounds it, and we can't figure out exactly where my dad's family's from after a certain time. They apparently just spawned in the US. My mom's maiden name was Polish though, which I think sounds cool.

Ashbrie
03-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Which pop star~ You can tell me. I won't crack a bad joke.

You should also cosplay Papillon again~ We'll have fun together a a Eclair and Papillon duo.

Ashlee Simpson >:| Different spelling, but nonetheless, same name. You don't really hear much about her anymore, but the name still makes people double-take all the time. Also, "DO YOU HAVE A SISTER NAMED JESSICA?!?!"

PLEASE, Ashlee Simpson, stay quiet for my sake! ;_;

Yay La Pucelle love! But, oh god, My Papillon costume is terrible lol. I would love to redeem myself by making an awesome Prier costume someday though!

nannyogg
03-15-2011, 07:10 PM
I love my name, even if hardly anyone can pronounce it correctly. It's Antigone. My mother is Penelope and I named my first daughter Persephone. But we aren't the least bit Greek. My birth son is Zury; comes from 19th century literature and is also the name of an African-American wig company, so I figured that wasn't too bad (but it annoys him people assume he's a girl because in Latin/South America, Zuri is a feminine name). Of my three adopted kids, the first one kept her name; Yun Jie (meaning excellence in sports), or Jiejie for short. Very easy name in Mandarin, apparently torture for Americans. The second has a name that's really cute in Mandarin(Fu Yu, meaning lucky treasure), but could be easily misconstrued as something inappropriate, so we added Rain to the beginning (because she's a powerful force of nature). And my Ethiopian son has a great Ethiopian name, Benniam (pronounced like bin-ee-um; nick name is Binni), but he constantly has people calling him Benjamin or Ben or Benny, and has had teachers try to "correct" him on the spelling of his name, argh!! The girls and I all have the same middle name, and the boys have the same middle name as the first son's dad and the second son, as my stepdad (which is the same name, different spellings).

Chal
03-15-2011, 07:33 PM
My name's Róisín and as with almost all Irish names, it's pronunciation is weird. It's pronounced "Row-sheen", but people always end up confused. I've seen so many different spelling frompeople giving me cards over the years, it always amuses me seeing them~

I usually just go by "Sheena", it's easier to remember how to say/spell, haha.

rajamitsu
03-15-2011, 07:37 PM
I share a first name with a fast food chain. So it was always "fun" running into people (mostly younger sibling's friends) at said fast food chain. "Haha, Wendy's at Wendy's!" etc etc.

Otherwise, I like my name. I do get some Peter Pan comments from time to time, but those I don't mind. Like for example, I got comment at Disney World... from Aladdin. ^^;

rubyspitfire
03-15-2011, 07:41 PM
i'm seriously considering going through a legal name change, not because i hate my name, but because lately i've been put in a position where i'm vulnerable to identity theft and no one will take any action to correct it. thankfully i have a very common name, so even if someone tries to steal my identity they're going to have a bit of difficulty getting the right one unless they know me specifically

Cadmium Polyphony
03-15-2011, 08:07 PM
i'm seriously considering going through a legal name change, not because i hate my name, but because lately i've been put in a position where i'm vulnerable to identity theft and no one will take any action to correct it. thankfully i have a very common name, so even if someone tries to steal my identity they're going to have a bit of difficulty getting the right one unless they know me specifically

You could always take the stupid and easy route and f*ck up your credit. That way if someone takes your identity, what could they do with it?

IAmShorty
03-15-2011, 08:15 PM
I really like my name. Italia Grace *Last name withheld!*
Half of my family is Italian, as if that wasnt really obvious. My mom wanted to name me something normal like Vanessa or Sophia or Daniella (Which, I wouldnt have minded Sophia or Daniella) but my dad decided to name me while my mom was passed out in the hospital.
I really like my name, Ive never met anyone else with it so thats kind of cool =]

ELunamoon
03-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Mmm my first name is Elyse (I dont think it needs to be said but it is pronounces eee-leee-sss. I've recently had someone pronounce it as Ellis..)
I don't hate my name... I just dislike the way it looks on paper haha x) I don't think its particularly rare but its uncommon enough for me to find someone who shares the same name as me and be like "Hey cool :D". But the Mexican side of my family and also when I go to Mexico, I'm addressed as "Elisa" which I think is much prettier (: And my father calls me "Lisa" a lot!
But...The part I do hate about my name is my surname... It starts with a T...
So yeah my initials are ET. As in, Extra terrestrial? As in the alien from that one family movie? Yeah. ET. People love to ignore the fact that my middle name is Danielle and therefore would make my initials EDT -not- ET...
I've been playfully teased about it all my life and its never seriously gotten me angry but the joke is overused and tends to get annoying after a while ha xD

You guys have some very interesting names :D Some are very gorgeous!

Arc_The_Lad
03-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Ashlee Simpson >:| Different spelling, but nonetheless, same name. You don't really hear much about her anymore, but the name still makes people double-take all the time. Also, "DO YOU HAVE A SISTER NAMED JESSICA?!?!"

Yay La Pucelle love! But, oh god, My Papillon costume is terrible lol. I would love to redeem myself by making an awesome Prier costume someday though!

I'm sure you have more talent in your pinky finger than their whole family combined.

oh...burn.

Ashbrie
03-15-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm sure you have more talent in your pinky finger than their whole family combined.

oh...burn.

Oh ho ho, this name would be so much more enjoyable if I got more comments like this! :D

sailortintin
03-15-2011, 08:57 PM

My baby cousin loves Ashlee Simpson~ *Of course, she loves any type of music*

You name the con, and i'll get there as fast as my 5 inch platforms will take me :3

Lithium Flower
03-15-2011, 09:21 PM
I was going to go with Hibiscus Ermine.

Wait, Draw Girl, your name really is Emmers? I thought it was a nickname for Emily. Now I feel dumb.

It is Emily.
But Facebook calls me Emmers.
And I trust Facebook.

Psycho_Kitty
03-15-2011, 09:30 PM
I love my name since not many people have it but its spelled completely different than its pronounced. When people spell my name they put Franchesca (when its actually that without the h), but all my friends and family really don't call me my first name. I have many nicknames. My maiden name was Ruzzini so I get a lot are you italian by any chance or that's a rare last name. Well here in the states it is but back in Italy there is a lot of Ruzzini's and there is a really nice hotel named after my last name.

UsakoLuna
03-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I like my name - Stephanie Lee *last name secret*
Stephanie means crown and Lee means meadow. I was named for my great grandmother and my grandfather on my dads side (since Lee really can go either or). My mom says she named me well, my nana was short, liked to garden and was stubborn.
My friends all call me "Stephie".

Volnixshin
03-15-2011, 09:51 PM
I have my birth name, through over the past 23 years, I have grown to hate, to feel disgusted with, for reasons I shall withhold. When I was 21, I legally changed my name. I am in love with the new name I have chosen, and it means a great deal to me. I have no qualms with sharing my name, so I shall do so.

My name is Dez Noa Volnixshin, it is a pleasure to meet you

ThakYuki
03-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Haha, my former boss named her son Kingston. Poor kid is probably going to get teased in school. Plus you can't really shorten Kingston. Maybe call him "King" or something.

As for me, I have a common name. I'm a Katherine *middle name withheld* Williams. I've met many Katherines of varying spellings, but discovered in my college biology class that there's another Katherine Williams (exact same spelling) in my class.

ShinobiXikyu
03-15-2011, 10:10 PM
My last name is Brommit.
....it's weird, rare, I can't find out where it originates from (the name was first recorded in England, but it does NOT sound English), and I got called "Vomit" in school a lot. And NOBODY can spell it right. Half of my and my Dad's certificates/diplomas are spelled as either Brommitt, Bromit, or Bromitt. And substitute teachers in school would misspell my name, and sometimes mispronounce it (one called me "Broma. Like broom with a short o...EMBARASSING.)
And my first name is ridiculously common. I'll withhold that one:P
Middle name is Ann. Plain and boring. I used to spell it with an "E" on the end when I was a kid just to fancy it up (Lol, thanks, Anne of Green Gables...). Apparently I got my middle name after a family friend named the same.

...I'm glad in any rate that my Dad named me. Mom wanted to give me a "P.J." name. UGH. NO. (Hers already is and nobody calls her by her legal name...)

And at work I actually am driven a bit nuts about what to call my bosses. They're Chinese, so they have both Chinese names, and Western names. My boss (now on maternity leave) is generally known as "Anna", but her Chinese name is Chi/Qi- not sure which spelling. And the boss filling in, uses the Western name Watson, but his Chinese name, which he signs/writes everything with, is Sunyear. So it gets confusing what I should call him.

rubyspitfire
03-15-2011, 10:57 PM
You could always take the stupid and easy route and f*ck up your credit. That way if someone takes your identity, what could they do with it?

LOL my credit is already screwed, so whomever manages to steal my name is going to be in for a nasty surprise... and if they do manage to make it worse, i can claim fraud. hm, maybe this is a blessing in disguise :D

sdeegan
03-15-2011, 11:20 PM
My middle name is Anne, my Mom put the E in because of Anne of Green Gables.

Not to Mention my initials are S.A.D

Clyde_2.0
03-16-2011, 12:04 AM
I've had no problems with my name. It's rather boring, but I like it enough to keep it.

On the other hand, my Mum has an old german name that everyone mispronounces, "Gerlinde". 'Grrr-Linda' is how it's supposed to sound but sooooo many telemarketers have called her Gertrude, it's not even funny. I suppose the 'e' at the end throws people off.

Daqua4ever
03-16-2011, 12:22 AM
My first name's plain, average...and I share it with too many other people in the world.
I guess this is the case for many people, but it bothers me to have such an overused name >.<;;

As for my last name, nobody can pronounce it correctly. Sometimes I can't even pronounce my last name correctly xD

Now as for my sister....Her name is Gebrel. No, it's not a mispelling of 'Gabrielle' or something like that. It's pronounced Jeb-rell. Sometimes I wish I could steal her name >.>

ThakYuki
03-16-2011, 12:24 AM
I've had no problems with my name. It's rather boring, but I like it enough to keep it.

On the other hand, my Mum has an old german name that everyone mispronounces, "Gerlinde". 'Grrr-Linda' is how it's supposed to sound but sooooo many telemarketers have called her Gertrude, it's not even funny. I suppose the 'e' at the end throws people off.

Lol, my best friend's mom is pure German, and her name is Sabine, and I'd imagine all those foreign telemarketers trying to pronounce her name.

Rinoa07
03-16-2011, 12:34 AM
I adore my name, though I'm terribly possessive of it. It's pretty rare, though people often assume I'm Greek, which is far too much to the south of Europe. I've met more than my share of people with my name though, I actually went to school with a girl with my name, only she spelled it with an I instead of an E. She was greek.

At AX last year I was cosplaying chun-li and took a picture with this little tiny girl who was cosplaying as Chun Li as well. Guess what? She had the exact same name as me! I was wondering why her parents kept saying my name when I hadn't introduced myself!

Also, I hate it when people call me by my name. I have a preference for nicknames.

Eau de Decus
03-16-2011, 01:02 AM
I love my first name and have no issues with it except that it is a lot more common now than it was when I was first named. However, my last name is England, just like the country. The universal question people ask me is:

"Are you from England?"

I automatically hate anyone who asks that question sincerely. Hate...forever...

☆ Kei ☆
03-16-2011, 01:44 AM
My mom has a name that everyone butchered. Instead of taking that and giving her children normal names, she chose to do the same with her kids. (My younger sister's name is Tommee, and my even younger brother's name is Correy.)

Nice to meet you, my name is KeiAnna. It's pronounced 'key-anna'.
It took my Junior year of High School to finally get a teacher/school figure who pronounced it right their first try, and I've had teachers who pronounced it wrong the entire year, no matter how many times I or someone else corrected them. :T
I also can't explain that's a different spelling of the Hawaiian version of Diana without people jumping to the conclusion that I'm Hawaiian.

My middle name's Marie, and if there's any significance to it, I wouldn't know. It's just been a tradition to pass it on to the first daughter of the first daughter for generations, so I got stuck with it.

And my last name's really bland. xD The only complaint I have is that it starts with a 'W', so I'm always near the end of any alphabetical list.

Cadmium Polyphony
03-16-2011, 02:27 AM
LOL my credit is already screwed, so whomever manages to steal my name is going to be in for a nasty surprise... and if they do manage to make it worse, i can claim fraud. hm, maybe this is a blessing in disguise :D

Hmm....yes, yes. I like the way you think.

Akiyhrah
03-16-2011, 02:47 AM
Also, I hate it when people call me by my name. I have a preference for nicknames.

I also have a fondness for nicknames. I like my name and all, but most of my closest friends call me "Kitty" and have for years, so I often prefer it.
Then of course there are my cosplay and online friends, and they all call me "Aki" (short for Akiyhrah, of course). I love hearing people call me Aki in real life :3

Nathus Dorkus
03-16-2011, 03:11 AM
I wasn't born with the name I have now, and.. Uh, I like it?

Tigress
03-16-2011, 03:13 AM
My first name is Katherine, but NO ONE calls me that, even my family. They either call me "Kat" or "Tigress" and I answer to either. The only time I use my legal name is on legal documents that require it.

So when someone calls me Katherine and insists on doing so (because it "sounds more professional/feminine/etc."), I know that person and I are going to have problems. Two of my prior managers did this and they turned out to be micromanaging jerks with no people skills whatsoever.

I also hate it when people call me Kathy or Katie. Kathy is my aunt's name and Katie is the name of one of my best friends from high school. So it doesn't register when someone attempts to call me either name.

Also, I'll never understand why people seem to have so much trouble pronouncing my last name, which I share with a major construction equipment company. It's pronounced just like it sounds, but no one can seem to manage it locally.

rubyspitfire
03-16-2011, 03:49 AM
Nice to meet you, my name is KeiAnna. It's pronounced 'key-anna'.

my best friend's name is qiana, pronounced the same way. not a common name ^_^

Kell-chan
03-16-2011, 04:05 AM
I love my first name and have no issues with it except that it is a lot more common now than it was when I was first named. However, my last name is England, just like the country. The universal question people ask me is:

"Are you from England?"

As Eau de Decus' sister, I second this. The only thing worse than asking whether we're English is asking how to spell it.

With an E or an I?

Really? Like the country. If you still need help, it's a personal problem.

_Kumi-chan_
03-16-2011, 05:13 AM
My name was pretty uncommon when I was a kid, at least in my region. I never met another Kirsten, could never find keyrings/souvenirs with my name on them, and have been called "Kristen" and "Christine" more times than I can remember (in fact, I'm still surprised when people get it right on the first try). I was terribly happy when Santa gave me the Kirsten doll from American Girl. Apparently, it became a lot more popular about ten or so years back, because I've run into more people with young daughters that share my name these days. I'm not sure why this is.

It was misspelled on my high school graduation certificate. I was not surprised, but I was not pleased in the least.

My last name is even rarer, and is also constantly misspelled/mispronounced. It's short, but I've never met anyone else with the same surname, and in fact my dad's pretty sure that we must be related to anyone who shares it. We're not even really sure what nationality it's supposed to be.

ShortCutie
03-16-2011, 08:59 AM
I don't hate my name,it's the problems that come with it that I hate.
My name is some odd mix between aslin and ashley. I can't even find a meaning for my name or nationality. I remember as I kid I was disipointed when I never could find my nmae in the keychains and such.

My real name is Ashelyn (pronounced Ash-lin) and every time I meet someone new it's like all they hear is ash and they think 'oh,you're ashley.' It's annoying. I'd rather just go by Ashe (ash,e is silent). Although, recently one of my teachers has called me aslin (ace-lin) which was... different.

Flora88
03-16-2011, 10:20 AM
My name is neither Flora nor Jillian.

penny_dreadful
03-16-2011, 10:30 AM
My name is neither Flora nor Jillian.

Ooh! Ooh! I know this one! It's Rumplestiltskin, right? Right? NOW I DON'T HAVE TO GIVE YOU MY BABY.

Flora88
03-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Ooh! Ooh! I know this one! It's Rumplestiltskin, right? Right? NOW I DON'T HAVE TO GIVE YOU MY BABY.

DAMMIT. I wanted that baby, too.

sweetnsassy
03-16-2011, 11:16 AM
I've always thought my name (Rebecca) was rather old-fashioned, which I like. I just wish my first and last name didn't start with the same letter. Do you know how many "restroom" and "railroad" jokes you get when your initials are R.R.? Alot.

It's a little odd though, because my sister-in-law's name is the same as mine (she spells it differently though). And since she took my brother's name, there are now two Rebecca/Rebekahs in the family. It gets verrrry annoying sometimes.

Kyomi
03-16-2011, 11:32 AM
My Chinese name is roughly the same as my English name (when translated) because my mother was extremely creative.

I can't say I absolutely like the name because it was the complete opposite of my childhood, but hey, I've gotten used to it, so no real complaints.

Except for how they're written and pronounced - both the Chinese and English ones.

Akiyhrah
03-16-2011, 01:59 PM
I don't hate my name,it's the problems that come with it that I hate.
My name is some odd mix between aslin and ashley. I can't even find a meaning for my name or nationality. I remember as I kid I was disipointed when I never could find my nmae in the keychains and such.

My real name is Ashelyn (pronounced Ash-lin) and every time I meet someone new it's like all they hear is ash and they think 'oh,you're ashley.' It's annoying. I'd rather just go by Ashe (ash,e is silent). Although, recently one of my teachers has called me aslin (ace-lin) which was... different.

It's a Celtic name! It's original form is "Aisling" (pronounced Ash-ling), but "Aislin" (pronounced Ash-lin) is popular too. It means "dream" or "Vision".

fullbleed
03-16-2011, 02:25 PM
I really don't like my last name, I'm called Ryan (fine with this) Block, as in a breeze block or a piece of wood. It's the most boring name ever, it doesn't mean anything there's no ancestral history there it's just Block.

ashelia89
03-16-2011, 03:09 PM
The problem I had with my name growing up was the fact that other girls had the same name in kinder garden and it was like a joke to the teachers >.> they wouldn't differentiate it in any way so we'd both stand up when they'd call out Carla/Karla *face palm*

other than that I'm good and dandy with it :) ,I kept my 2nd name but changed my last name when I got married to keep the tradition of "take your husband's last name" so...that was it !

SailorMoonUsagi
03-16-2011, 03:58 PM
I've always hated my name. (Colby) It's really boring and dull and everyone I meet who has my name is a boy. My name means coal town. Thanks parents, that's the best you can come up with? My mom wanted name me Prudence or Lily or Fern or Duke (God thats an awful name :walkoff: no offense to people named Duke) which are all names I really don't like, but I would much rather prefer because at least they don't mean Coal Town. (My mom grew up in England, which is why she likes a lot of english names)

As for my last name, I like it! I wish my first and last names could be switched. Even though my last name is just as masculine as my first name, it's different and cool, and not dull. I wouldn't mind having an uncommon name, as long it has a little personality to it. Even a name like Kate or Hannah (which are really common where I live) is better than Colby:bigcry:

Some people have really pretty names on this website! :toothy:

Michi
03-16-2011, 04:06 PM
I like my name aside from many people's insistence on shortening it without me introducing myself that way.

I also like my last name but everyone thinks it's a different, similarly spelled, more popular last name and says it wrong. Haha.

Angathol
03-16-2011, 04:13 PM
My first and middle name have already come up twice in this thread. Luckily it's pretty much impossible to rhyme with anything, not that kids didn't try; I seem to recall some boy in early grade school unsuccessfully attempting to insult me by trying to rhyme my name with "bathroom," which didn't even make sense.

My last name is extremely uncommon in Canada (it's Hungarian, taken from my step-grandfather), and paired with my first name it's ridiculously unique (my brother at least has a handful of other people with the same first and last name as him, so he's unlikely to turn up on Google). As such I've removed my surname from Facebook for privacy purposes.

(side note: 3800th post woo)

penny_dreadful
03-16-2011, 04:14 PM
I love my name, even if hardly anyone can pronounce it correctly. It's Antigone. My mother is Penelope and I named my first daughter Persephone.

That is the most awesome thing that ever came to Awesome-Town.

P.S. "an-TIG-uh-nee", is that right?

You know, I'm actually a little surprised I haven't seen more unusual names on this site. Maybe I'm just used to seeing a higher proportion of off-the-beaten-track names than most people thanks to my job.

Akiyhrah
03-16-2011, 04:26 PM
I love my name, even if hardly anyone can pronounce it correctly. It's Antigone.

I love the name Antigone! I was using it as a roleplay name for a while, and people kept calling me "Anti-gone" -__- People really don't read enough Greek literature.

RaDragon76
03-16-2011, 04:29 PM
I like my name most of the time. My first name is really common, so common that there were six of us with the same name in my kindergarten class. I've gone by a shortened form of my middle name since that time and although it's a fairly common name it's spelled an unusual way. My grandmother and I share a middle name and when she was born it was misspelled by the doctors of the time.

The last part of my name is the part that is annoying. It's 100% Italian and no one can seem to say or spell it correctly. I had a credit card once that had the name misspelled on it and I didn't realise it for some time until someone checked it against my ID and noticed the mistake. The thing was that a person at the store in question had been looking at my ID when they were entering the info for the card so how they could have misspelled it to begin with is a mystery.

Celia Rose
03-16-2011, 04:31 PM
I remember really disliking my name when I was in elementary school, because I never met another person who had the same first name as me. I remember wanting to change my name to Lindsey at one point.

Now I'm okay with my name, but I really dislike the song attached to it. -A-;; I didn't know that Simon and Garfunkel had a song with my name in it until I was in 7th life science, and my teacher started to sing it when she called for attendance on the first day of class.

Plus, when my relatives from Louisiana visit, I can never tell if I'm in trouble or not, because they address me by my first and middle name, but that's what my mom does when I'm in trouble. xD

btw, my first and middle names are in my username.

rubyspitfire
03-16-2011, 07:06 PM
I've always thought my name (Rebecca) was rather old-fashioned, which I like. I just wish my first and last name didn't start with the same letter. Do you know how many "restroom" and "railroad" jokes you get when your initials are R.R.? Alot.

my married initials are "railroad", which is another reason why i started using my maiden name again. "rallye sport" is so much more acceptable

nannyogg
03-16-2011, 07:29 PM
That is the most awesome thing that ever came to Awesome-Town.

P.S. "an-TIG-uh-nee", is that right?

You know, I'm actually a little surprised I haven't seen more unusual names on this site. Maybe I'm just used to seeing a higher proportion of off-the-beaten-track names than most people thanks to my job.

Yep, that is exactly how to say it! :) :) :)

I'm surprised at the low frequency of unusual names, too (at least, of people who have spoken up). Southeast KS seems to be a haven of unusual names. Names that stand out include Mars, Shatosha, Sharayah, Blaze (for a girl), Sterling Blaze (a boy, went by both names), and Arveca. There's tons more, but I can't think of them When I lived in Little Rock, kid names I ran across were a boy named Demonicus, a girl named Temerity, and a girl named Co'cola McJunkins.

I've had a fascination with the Utah baby namer (http://wesclark.com/ubn/). I bet some of those kids really do not appreciate their parents' choice.

izuosve
03-16-2011, 07:34 PM
---

Miss_Wraith
03-16-2011, 07:41 PM
I don't hate my name, it's just boring and common. Jennifer. There were so many Jennifers in my classes all through school that I got very used to going by Jenn S. Also, a point of contention for me: 2 N's thank you very much. Not one.

My middle name is Liane (Lee-ann) which I like on paper, but like far less spoken out loud >.<

DarkFujin
03-16-2011, 07:48 PM
My first name is pretty boring (Kelly). I think I was named after Queen Kelly, though, but the more I think about that the more I doubt it. I'll have to ask my mom haha

EDIT: no, wait, my middle name came from Queen Elizabeth because my mom went through a British phase. I always think about Queen Kelly though, because my sister has a girlcrush on Gloria Swanson.

My last name, however, is I think an Americanized Slovakian last name, and yet people still can't pronounce it, and people certainly can't spell it! Also, I'm pretty sure that my last name has been Americanized, and therefore the only people with that last name are related to me.

ShinobiXikyu
03-16-2011, 10:38 PM

I'm surprised at the low frequency of unusual names, too (at least, of people who have spoken up). Southeast KS seems to be a haven of unusual names. Names that stand out include Mars, Shatosha, Sharayah, Blaze (for a girl), Sterling Blaze (a boy, went by both names), and Arveca. There's tons more, but I can't think of them When I lived in Little Rock, kid names I ran across were a boy named Demonicus, a girl named Temerity, and a girl named Co'cola McJunkins.

I've had a fascination with the Utah baby namer (http://wesclark.com/ubn/). I bet some of those kids really do not appreciate their parents' choice.

Heh, one of my aunt's names is "Blaze"...but she always goes by her middle name of Kathy. I didn't know her first name was Blaze until I was thirteen. XD And here's another weird thing; I have ALL aunts, no biological uncles, and almost all have "K" names. O_o
Kendra (my favourite aunt with a pretty Celtic name. Lol.), Kathy, Kim, Kelly, and Debbie. And a great aunt named Karen, and a grandpa (died before I was born, though), named Clyde. And a marriage-related uncle named Chris. So much guttural "Kuh" sounds. X_X

Miyabi-
03-17-2011, 02:05 AM
My first name is rather common but people ALWAYS mess up the spelling. My name is Nicole and I've had people spell it:
Nichole, Nickole, Nickhole, Nichale, Nikcole, Nikhole, Nakole, Nacole, Nakhole etc.
Seriously? What's so hard about this name? It's an old French name that's been around forever! I love my name..it means "victory of the people".

I also absolutely hate it when people call me Nikki and I won't answer to it. People at work used to keep calling me Nikki so I finally wrote "Not Nikki" under my name on my badge..lol According to my Mom I've hated it since I was small too. (she has a funny story about it but for the sake of post length I won't go into it atm)
....I won't even go into my last name. It's German, starts with a vowel and not *that* hard to pronounce but people always put the wrong vowel sound on it.

x-Steffi-x
03-17-2011, 03:08 AM
My full first name is Stefanie as it is the German spelling and I absolutely hate it when people spell my name with a "ph" instead of an "f". It's a unique spelling. I also dislike people calling me "Stef", I dunno, it's just, idk, I hate that nickname.

I've never really "loved" my name, but didn't really hate it. So I've resorted into being "Steffi" as it sounds adorable, I've been getting people to call me that now as I like it :D

As for name I hate? I hate the name Mackenzie, just sounds so butch... Also celebrity children's names, seriously, wtf?
I'm all for people being creative with their children's names, but there's a point where it shouldn't be too creative as it just sounds ridiculous, I mean, don't mothers realise if you name your child a ridiculous thing that they can get bullied for it? :S

I had a friend who's called Nicola, and her last name is Britton, and apparently, her dad wanted to call her Maiden, get it? "Made in Britain?" Thankfully, her mom coaxed him out of it xD

FallofIcarus
03-17-2011, 08:21 AM
My mom named me just because she liked how the name looked in cursive. Thats it. I think its hysterical. Nobody ever believes me and we even had an assignment back in elementary school of "why did your parents name you as you are" and everyone had these loving explanations. I got to mine and everyone thought I was trying to be funny. I wish!

ThakYuki
03-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Being a Katherine, lots of my friends try to call me Kat. I absolutely hate that name because it's what my first boyfriend called me, and my first breakup was hell and I wanted to kill myself. I had to post a facebook status to let everyone know not to call me Kat.

As for horrid names, my mom's an elementary teacher so she gets quite a few:
Lemonjello (pronounced all fancy-like)
his brother Orangejello
she's had a few Epiphanies and other emotional names
and a run through of bible names

UsakoLuna
03-17-2011, 08:52 AM
@x_steffi_x I'm a Stephanie with a "ph" and and try to spell my name with an "f" all the time. That drives me crazy! Do you ever get people trying to spell it with a "y" on the end? Like Stephany? Or (to me) even worse Stefany?
And Stephie is the best nickname ever

Pocketfightr
03-17-2011, 08:58 AM
I totally forgot to add, my last name is shared with the name of a mascot for Gundam. After finding that out, my last name became a lot cooler. :D (I was totally neutral to it before... in fact, wasn't a huge fan of my last name because people still manage to mistype/misspell it.)

Suiseiseki0284
03-17-2011, 09:11 AM
My first name is Michele, but everyone spells it Michelle. Back when I was in school, I had several instances where a sub or new teacher doing roll call would call me MICHAEL. *face palm*

Also, my middle name is Margarete. It's pronounced "Mahr guh reh tah" Not "Mahr Grit" I've also had people say "Margarita" or "Macarena"

Celia Rose
03-17-2011, 10:09 AM
My full first name is Stefanie as it is the German spelling and I absolutely hate it when people spell my name with a "ph" instead of an "f". It's a unique spelling. I also dislike people calling me "Stef", I dunno, it's just, idk, I hate that nickname.

I've never really "loved" my name, but didn't really hate it. So I've resorted into being "Steffi" as it sounds adorable, I've been getting people to call me that now as I like it :D
"Steph" always reminds me of "staph infection." I'm glad you have a way cuter nickname. :D

I had a friend who's called Nicola, and her last name is Britton, and apparently, her dad wanted to call her Maiden, get it? "Made in Britain?" Thankfully, her mom coaxed him out of it xD
Dude, my dad tried to name me "Claire Annette" because my older sister played the clarinet. Thankfully, my madre told him 'not a chance.' :thumbsup:

penny_dreadful
03-17-2011, 10:12 AM

A high school did the Sophocles play in college, and he kept referring to it as "anti-gohn" (like, rhymes with "cone") and it DROVE ME NUTS. I kept telling him it was like Persephone, Aphrodite, all those other Greek names, but he insisted everyone on set pronounced it "anti-gohn". His college theater director must have been a great wit, let me tell you.

We're not friends anymore.

a girl named Co'cola McJunkins.

I would absolutely subscribe to her newsletter.

I was reading it's become a Mormon tradition to combine names for a baby-- hence awkward appellations like "Renesmee" from Twilight, although of course Bella and Edward were... not supposed to be Mormon. Those are some seriously cracked out names on there, although I must admit "Zestpoole" has rather a nice ring to it.

Some of my favorite names from work have been:

Peskey Salmon
Princess Nocandy
Peace-n'-Love
Malcolmx

Apparently no one around here holds a candle to some of the Southern (or Utah) names, though. Dang.

DarkFujin
03-17-2011, 11:54 AM
....I won't even go into my last name. It's German, starts with a vowel and not *that* hard to pronounce but people always put the wrong vowel sound on it.

My last name starts with an "O" but people always try to spell it with an "A". It's... not even really pronounced with an "A" sound.

Anmanda
03-17-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't like my name very much... It's so common.. There are like.. an unknown number of Amandas in my school (luckily, I'm the only one in my class). I want a cool, different name. But no. My parents had no creativity when they named me.. It doesn't help that my last name is really short too, only four letters lol.

Clyde_2.0
03-17-2011, 02:18 PM
I was reading it's become a Mormon tradition to combine names for a baby-- hence awkward appellations like "Renesmee" from Twilight, although of course Bella and Edward were... not supposed to be Mormon. Those are some seriously cracked out names on there, although I must admit "Zestpoole" has rather a nice ring to it.

Some of my favorite names from work have been:

Peskey Salmon
Princess Nocandy
Peace-n'-Love
Malcolmx

Apparently no one around here holds a candle to some of the Southern (or Utah) names, though. Dang.

Oh those Utah Mormons.... Some of their 'traditions' are so lol-worthy. But, just as a side note, not all of us Mormons are like that. It's just the fanatics that get gossiped about on the internet.:crylaugh:

ShortCutie
03-17-2011, 03:31 PM
It's a Celtic name! It's original form is "Aisling" (pronounced Ash-ling), but "Aislin" (pronounced Ash-lin) is popular too. It means "dream" or "Vision".

Thanks for telling me this! :square: I've been trying to figure out forever!

Ariyakas
03-17-2011, 03:50 PM
I honestly know a girl, though we're not on best terms, named La-a (pronounced ladasha) lolol. No, but I seriously hate my name. It's Nubia, like that place in egypt. And I always get told 'a traditional african name for an african' dude, i'm not even african I am BAHAMIAN/HAITIAN.

nannyogg
03-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Those are some seriously cracked out names on there, although I must admit "Zestpoole" has rather a nice ring to it.

I thought Treasure Anne was kind of cute. But I bet Tugdick and Vulva Mae go by their initials.

Miyabi-
03-17-2011, 10:49 PM
My mom named me just because she liked how the name looked in cursive. Thats it. I think its hysterical. Nobody ever believes me and we even had an assignment back in elementary school of "why did your parents name you as you are" and everyone had these loving explanations. I got to mine and everyone thought I was trying to be funny. I wish!

My Mom named me after her favorite soap opera character. :sulk:

On the topic of odd names my cousin went to school with a girl who was named Liberty Bell. :bigtu:

ShinobiXikyu
03-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Heh, I've actually got a bit of a funny story relating to my Mom's name (Pamela Jill but as I said before, NOBODY calls her by Pamela. She always went by Jill, even as a kid. Makes me wonder why Grandma named her Pamela.:P)

But Mom told it to me, her first day of school, and the teacher was doing roll call. The teacher called my Mom by Pamela, and my Mom just freaked out, got out of her seat, stomping her feet on the floor (and it being the sixties and the first day of school, she's in the cutsey mary janes and the frilly dress) and yelling "NOOOO! MY NAME IS JILL! JILL JILL JILL JILL!!" To me, it's hilarious. XD

(Oh, and a sidenote; my Mom's a contractor/handywoman, and her business name is "Jill of all trades"- play on the "Jack of all trades" term. People are always so surprised to learn that her name is ACTUALLY Jill. XD)

RinoaShadow
03-18-2011, 12:28 AM
my name is a family name... so technically im the 4th (or 5th..?) of it in my family. i personally don't like the name much but oh well. i could be named something worse, couldn't i now??

ugh, i watched as a woman suggested namign her kid 'Kisses'.... GET A DOG, LADY. seriously, if you wanna give someone a ridiculous name, give it to an animal who wont actually have an opinion on the matter.
there was also a lady who tried to name her child 'Whisper' and her middle name 'Twilight'...
no thanks xD

i love hearing about what people's names were going to be if they were the opposite gender...
my dad wanted to call me Mercedes or Stephanie if i were a girl (neither of which stuck :P) and if i were a boy i was gonna be called Jack...
a friend of mine was going to be called Humphry is she was a boy :'D and another, Oswald; and another, Billy xD

Ororo Howlett
03-18-2011, 03:17 PM
My first name, Delicia, can be pronounced Duh-lee-shuh or Dee-lee-see-ya, though I prefer the former since the latter sounds stuffy and snobby to me.
I love my last name, but when it's mispronounced, OH THE RAGE! It's the same as a famous author, and yet every single literary teacher/professor I have ever come across has pronounced it "dumb ass"!

penny_dreadful
03-18-2011, 03:25 PM
It's the same as a famous author, and yet every single literary teacher/professor I have ever come across has pronounced it "dumb ass"!

That is really, profoundly sad.

P.S. your name is awesome.

P.P.S. HIIIIIII! *waves*

pltshp
03-18-2011, 03:29 PM
My name is Sophie. People call me Soph. Occasionally someone will call me Sofa. And back in primary school, someone figured my surname sounded like "barrel" (it doesn't), he changed it to Bazzy and that became Bazzy-Wazzy, which has actually stuck for over 10 years now.

My name causes me no hassle, which is nice.

Ororo Howlett
03-18-2011, 03:43 PM
That is really, profoundly sad.

Hiya PD ^_^

Yeah, the only thing worse was when my first and last names were mispronounced by several teachers on the first day of school. The other kids wouldn't let me live it down. From middle school up until my first semester of college, I was called Delicious Dumbass!

Akiyhrah
03-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks for telling me this! :square: I've been trying to figure out forever!

You're very welcome :D I've done lots of research on Celtic names, so I recognized it instantly :3

GraelynRose
03-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Micaela- (Hebrew, some say Irish) Who is like the Lord
Rebecca- (Hebrew) To bind
My Surname- (Irish) Lord

Well, I like my name. I think I would have personally liked it more if my parents remembered that they were going to name me Micaela Catherine. But, they forgot after the 22 hour labor, so my middle name is after my grandmother's first name and my mom's middle name.

RinoaShadow
03-18-2011, 11:07 PM
(woot, double post... sorry.) i have a lot of friends with rather exotic names or just uncommonc names so im jealous of them yet still glad mine's simple and easy- as it means the teachers wont mispronounce it, it's easy to write (yet people STILL WRITE IT WRONG ALL THE TIME.), and i dont get jokes made about it.

My best friend's name is Trelawney (Treh-law-nee), and she hates it when people instantly make some joke about the harry potter character. also, her last name is slightly unusual... it doesnt start with a capital... it begins with a lower case 'de' and the a space and then the capital... i find that interesting.
but really... imagine having to explain that to people all the time,your whole life, when they had to spell it?? what a pain!!

my nickname (in real life) is Izzi (on the internet it's mostly Rinny or Rin... for...obvious reasons, but my cosplay friends call me Rinny anyway...). i thought that was a common form of it, until i realised... it isnt. nobody spells it right on the first try, and nobody spells it right unless i tell them how :'D
I've had people write is Izzy, Issi, Issy, Izy, Isy, yssy/yzzy (<--WHAT?! HOW DOES THAT WORK?), Izzie, but NEVER just 'Izzi'. it's MADDENING XD
i peronsally hate it when people write it with 'S', like Issy, cause it's meant to make a Z sound... not an S sound xD

beEp
03-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Hrm, my initials make BEP, which sounded kinda lame, till one of my friends gave me the great idea to make it BEeP, hence, my cosplay handle ^^

DireKitty
03-20-2011, 09:14 PM
I like my name aside from many people's insistence on shortening it without me introducing myself that way.

I also like my last name but everyone thinks it's a different, similarly spelled, more popular last name and says it wrong. Haha.

That happens to me too...

Arc_The_Lad
03-20-2011, 09:18 PM
My name also rhymes with a once popular movie. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116695/)

I hate that movie, so much.

DireKitty
03-20-2011, 09:20 PM
My name also rhymes with a once popular movie. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116695/)

I hate that movie, so much.

Jerry.... Berry?
Mc....

I give up.

Phew!

Arc_The_Lad
03-20-2011, 09:39 PM
I said my first name (Gary) already, and you are SO CLOSE.

Formalhaut
03-21-2011, 03:21 AM
My full birth name: Tzarfrira Zippora Gallagher. Im know as Tzaf to my friends. :3

Hanyaan
03-21-2011, 03:41 AM
My first name is shared with a celebrity from around the time of my birth, my last name is a word, and the first two letters of both names are the same. I've been told (to varying degrees of amusement on my part) that I sound like a Stan Lee character, a romance novel author, a Vegas stripper, or a porn star. That last one IS true, just not for me; a friend of mine was trying to google me and found several "escort services" with women using my name as a pseudonym! So you can guess how outlandish-sounding it is.

I got teased for it as a kid. A lot. Then I got older, and I totally love it. I think I just had to grow into the FABULOUS which is my name, and stop hating on my parents for giving me something so ridiculous. It's the damn last name. Everything sounds totally ridiculous when you pair it with that particular word, so why not go for something totally awesome? I'm glad they did. Hell, my fiance likes my surname a lot more than his and actually wants to give it to any children we end up having.

Melanie
03-21-2011, 04:53 AM
What parents consign a innocent baby girl to the initials HE! Ok, end rant.
My initials used to be ME... if that makes you feel better? :thumbsup: I used to get hell at school when we had to write our initials beside things, and someone would always say "Who was the idiot who wrote 'me'?!"

Soooooo... in adulthood, I had my surname legally changed to something very exotic, avoiding the initial E of course. Best $300 I ever spent!

Levitas
03-21-2011, 05:30 AM
I'm okay with my name. It's super long, looks nothing like how it's pronounced, and can't fit on any school forms, but whatever. I would rather be a Lesya pronounced like Liza than what my gram insisted. Argrapina, pronounced "Ah-gruh-pee-nuh". What kind of name is that? Ugh.

Junnie
03-21-2011, 09:27 AM
I actually like my name a lot ^O^ In Chinese it means a nightingale in voyage, if you translate the kanji into Japanese it is pronounced as Fune Uguisu >W< As for my English name, it will be Florence (I seldom use it in introductions, but it sounds nice, I should use it more often <3)

Ollie Sixx
03-21-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm Ollie, which i like, short for Oliver, which i really don't. Especially due to the song in the musicals/fils of the same name >.> my surname i like though, Baron!

fujyoshi
03-22-2011, 06:46 AM
my name is from the bible(/heh uber religious parents) and you can't ever find those name tags in it.

x-Steffi-x
03-22-2011, 07:04 AM
@x_steffi_x I'm a Stephanie with a "ph" and and try to spell my name with an "f" all the time. That drives me crazy! Do you ever get people trying to spell it with a "y" on the end? Like Stephany? Or (to me) even worse Stefany?
And Stephie is the best nickname ever

High five for another Steph/fanie. Yes, I've had people spell the "ie" as a "y", I even had someone spell my name as "Stefanny" and I'm like wtf? O_O;;
Although I've known my school friends for years, some of them are still like "How do you spell your name again?" -face palm-

Stephie is as equally as an awesome spelling and nickname as Steffi is :D

Stephie and Steffi <3

Axelai
03-22-2011, 04:36 PM

^THIS.

My name is Rachelle. Not Shelly. GOD I hate being called Shelly. Rashelly is fine. But not Shelly. *punches my friend Jordan in the face for calling me that*

I do call my cousin Rachel "Rachie". Like, "Ray Chee". She likes it XD Calls me "Ruh Shelly~" right back. BUT SHE AND I ARE TOTES CLOSE SO ITS SPECIAL :I

sam vimes
03-22-2011, 05:10 PM
^THIS.

My name is Rachelle. Not Shelly. GOD I hate being called Shelly. Rashelly is fine. But not Shelly. *punches my friend Jordan in the face for calling me that*

I do call my cousin Rachel "Rachie". Like, "Ray Chee". She likes it XD Calls me "Ruh Shelly~" right back. BUT SHE AND I ARE TOTES CLOSE SO ITS SPECIAL :I

Clearly, we are cut from different cloth. If my name was Rachelle I would rather be crucified than be referred to as Rashelly. :/

Oh well. To each her own.

Axelai
03-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Clearly, we are cut from different cloth. If my name was Rachelle I would rather be crucified than be referred to as Rashelly. :/

Oh well. To each her own.

I only allow to be called that name by people who deserve to call me it :P Like my cousin. I just prefer it over "Shelly". BLEHH.

Cadmium Polyphony
03-22-2011, 09:58 PM
My name is ******, but most people just call me sir.

Honestly, I'm surprised that old gag didnt happen yet. I felt it an obligation to finally say it.

nannyogg
03-22-2011, 10:10 PM
High five for another Steph/fanie. Yes, I've had people spell the "ie" as a "y", I even had someone spell my name as "Stefanny" and I'm like wtf? O_O;;
Although I've known my school friends for years, some of them are still like "How do you spell your name again?" -face palm-

Stephie is as equally as an awesome spelling and nickname as Steffi is :D

Stephie and Steffi <3

My daughter goes by Seph or Sepphie. If I had a dime for every time someone tried to put a t in it, I'd be rich!

Flora88
03-22-2011, 10:13 PM
My name is ******, but most people just call me sir.

Honestly, I'm surprised that old gag didnt happen yet. I felt it an obligation to finally say it.

I'm not sure why this made me laugh, but it did.

On a similar vein, I knew a kid named Mister once. He received letters addressed to "Mr. Mister Terrel."

DarkSkyAngel
03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
My name is Sandra and the most reasonable nickname would be "Sandy", But gosh I almost hate it when people call me that. When my friends first suggested calling me "San-San" I almost couldn't bear to hear it, but after using it non-stop how could I not just get used to it. Now they shortened it to just "San" but it gets confusing when I'm near my friend Sam x_x

Though my friends did make one nickname I liked right away "SanaBun" :]

Shana05
03-22-2011, 11:47 PM
I really hated my name (Toni) as a kid because people would give me crap about it because "it's a boys' name." Not when it's spelled with an "i" then it's typically short for Antoinette. But my parents gave me something that is usually a nickname instead of a proper name. After middle school the stuff died down and I accepted my name.

I do really hate the names Sarah Palin gave her kids. Seriously, Bristol, Piper and Trig aren't names for kids.

IAmShorty
03-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Ah, I get alot of weird nicknames. My mom had the wonderful idea of shortenig 'Italia' to 'Toots'. Toots......And then other people heard her calling me that and decided to expand on it. Tootsie pop, tootles, the list goes on and on. But then most people just call me 'Italy' because, apparently, Italia is too hard to remember.

Chirudesu
03-23-2011, 12:06 AM
I hate my name cuz nobody can say or spell it right unless I do, and I have a mental block against saying my own name, I hate it.
It's supposedly latin for cherry, or french for charity, something like that.
middle name means cherished one.

My first name also sucks cuz I don't get enough letter spaces sometimes, and I never can have any kind of customized name tag thing you find at the dollar store, and I think it sounds ghetto, my whole name does. D<

Lulu.FFX
03-23-2011, 01:27 AM
I love my name and actually wish it wasnt becoming popular :[ (its Devon). Its awesome cause you can spell it with EVERY vowel including "Y". (-in, -an, -en, -on, -un, and -yn). I used to LOVE that I was the only Devon in the whole school district but by the time i graduated high school there were like 5. Only downside is, people assume I'm either a boy, black, or a black boy. I AM NEVER A WHITE GIRL. xD and people pronounce it wrong all the time :l but I cant imagine having any other name.

x-Steffi-x
03-23-2011, 05:17 AM
My daughter goes by Seph or Sepphie. If I had a dime for every time someone tried to put a t in it, I'd be rich!

Aw, what an original nickname, that's so cute :)

Yazoo_the_Kazoo
03-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Katherine Anne, which to my family in America is Kitty Anne or Kitty, and to my Scottish family is Kat.
Either way, for having such an incredibly "normal" name, I have endured every sort of cat related joke known to man. Ever. Last. One. And then there's the teachers who asked "Do you prefer Katie?" and that got annoying after a while.
That being said, I freaking love my name.

Sybren117
03-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah yeah, you lot can complain all you want, you have no idea what it's like growing up with my name.

...Dave.

Yeah, thats right, you'v all forgotten me already. Thats what its like.

Lt.Finn
04-07-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm a cake decorator and my brother works with kids... we trade stories.
Troix (not Troy)
Shi'Thead (pronounced Sheh-Teed NO JOKE)
Anal Shitty (as it's spelled)
Typphanniey (TIFFANY)
MiacKaeyala (Michaela)
Gay Hamburger (from a customer's client)

My Aunt subbed for a class with twin girls Regina and Vagina. Vagina was supposed to rhyme with Regina. As in Va-GEE-na. Great job ma'am. Your kid is literally screwed for life.

My FIRST name is not hard to screw up. Samantha. I love when customers spell it out for me when it's in big, blocky letters on my name badge. "S-A-M-A WAIT I'M NOT DONE!!" And nobody can figure out Sami. They teased me in school. "Why do you spell it like that? You should spell it with an "E" Sam-EE." No jackass, then my name would be SAME. People that I've known for years can't be bothered to spell it right. Not Sammy. Never Sammy. No I didn't change it. Someone actually incorrectly corrected someone else in my yearbook, making a bubble and an arrow saying "Um you spelled her name wrong, it's SAMMY." No sorry actually, you're the one who is wrong.

I'm not even going to get started on my last name. I was told it was changed when we got here only to discover that the big change was "de" to "De." Thanks America. It's an impossible Brazillian name that nobody ever can pronounce or spell EVER. I had to give my boyfriend a mini lesson on it. When people call and butcher it I just go, "No sorry, they don't live here." Click.

ViolinRose
04-07-2011, 06:15 PM
I love my first name, but it's so easily mispronounced. It's surprisingly easy to mispronounce Gabrielle as Gabriel. I had a particularly interesting experience with that in 10th grade. As you can see from my (somewhat old) picture, my hair was very short then. I also dressed more on the masculine side... I only wore guys' jeans, and most of my shirts and sweatshirts were pretty baggy, so what little curves I had were pretty much invisible. My first hour class was Visual Basic Programming, and I was the only girl in the class. It went something like this.

Teacher: "Is Gabe here?"
Class: *giggles*
Me: "Eh... it's Gabbi..."
Teacher: "Isn't that a girl's name though? Why wouldn't you shorten Gabriel to Gabe?"
Class (including me ): *dies laughing*
Me: "It's Gabrielle, and I'm a girl."

My nickname also has a kind of awkward spelling... "Gabbi". With an "i". Yeah.

And then there's the fact that my last name sounds and is spelled an awful lot like Gravy.

Edit: I should mention that this was a substitute teacher. This was in the middle of the trimester, so the regular teacher and the whole class knew I was a girl.

Shana05
04-07-2011, 07:22 PM
My mom calls me but weird nicknames that annoy me like Toniesha and Tonzetta. I respond to the latter by saying "I'm not cheese."

I'm fine with the nicknames my friends call me, almost all of them are related to my Finland cosplay. My friend who does Sealand often calls me "Mommy" or "Mama." I was once called "Finnigians" which I found hilarious. The roommate of one of my friends (we don't know each other that well so I don't consider him a friend yet) calls me "Ginger" because of my red hair.

AlliedHeather
04-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Mine is Heather as seen in my User name
I have a like/dislike relationship with it

Oniigiri_Basket
04-09-2011, 01:05 PM
I really dislike my middle name, "Lindsey." I just don't think it suits me; I don't even think of it as part of my identity. XD

Pasta_or_Die
04-09-2011, 11:20 PM
My last name is similar to Wade (as in Dwyane Wade). So people are always like "Oh gosh he's your uncle? Are you good at basketball?!". Actually no, people i'm not. I could only play/love soccer and i'm a tanned asian, so how could he be my uncle?
As for my first name....... If you look it up on google, a transvestite has the same name as me T.T, other than that, if you dont search it up, it's quite a pretty first name~

PK.love
04-10-2011, 12:25 AM
The thing I really dislike is my last name! Small. The word small. Really, of all the other last names in my family I get that...I have always hated it. Luckily, when I get married I can change it! That is what I have been saying since I was like, 9. How sad is that, hahaa? I always get really sad when on attendance lists everyone has these beautiful sounding last names and I have an ugly one.

The only time it ever came in handy was first grade when small was a spelling word. I totally knew how to spell that. >D

Caitlin is on okay first name I guess. It just makes me said that everyone else has it. I am never the only one with it in classes and such. I could be way worse off though. But I love unique names!

Glitchy
04-10-2011, 12:44 AM
My name is Alissa. I have a slight lisp. It is sooo awkward to introduce my self.

Mehdia
04-10-2011, 01:07 AM
I can't say I love or hate my name. I've had it for 28 years. Andrea Kathleen. Kathleen was my great-grandmother's name, so I got it. As for Andrea...I have found that there are at least a million different ways to mispronounce it from how I say it. Though ever since I can remember I've been called Annie. Though a few friends call me Nana.

Firefly026
04-10-2011, 01:10 AM
I like and dislike my name. I like my full name, it's nice.
But there are several nicknames for it, which I hate.
One in particular, which is of course the one over half of my friends & family refer to me as =___=;;

Also, my name is ALWAYS misspelled. Always.
But that's a mistake I can understand, and it doesn't make me mad at all.
Only when my close friends and family misspell it, that's when I get a little peeved.
It's like "Really? You see my name every day on Facebook/Skype/whatever and you still can't spell it?"

Oh well.

ShinobiXikyu
04-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Slight rant, not so much about my name, but about the little abbreviation that denotes your marital status...
AND MY FUCKING PHONE COMPANY CAN'T GET IT RIGHT.
I'm NOT married. I told them that TEN TIMES to not call me Mrs. But Mrs. continues to be on my damn bill. And they keep calling me Mrs. if I get called by them. Even though I will INSTANTLY correct them and say "NO, I AM NOT MRS. IT'S MS."....and they STILL call me Mrs. IN PERSON, RIGHT after I told them.

Akiyhrah
04-10-2011, 09:38 PM
People always call me "Catherine" or "Kathleen". It's KAITLYN. Kait. Lyn. How freaking hard is that??
I was in the liquor store today buying a case of beer for a friend who helped me move some stuff, and the snarky cashier made a point of asking for my ID then checking it over suuuuper carefully. I get asking for my ID, but for a minute I thought she wasn't going to take it, so I was kind of annoyed. I mean come on... I'm almost 25 for Christ's sake.
Anyway, when she handed it back, she was like, "Would you like a bag, Kathleen??"
And I'm like, "Actually, it's KAITLYN. And no, thank you." Normally I would just let it go, but she had bugged me so I made a point of letting her know she's dumb. XD
I honestly can't figure out why the heck people can't say my name properly. It's not like it's a super rare name, or it's spelled funny or anything. :/

Miyabi-
04-11-2011, 12:01 AM
The roommate of one of my friends (we don't know each other that well so I don't consider him a friend yet) calls me "Ginger" because of my red hair.
I get so annoyed when people call me Red or "a ginger". I'm not even a natural redhead! I can just pull it off well because my Mom is and I have her features but with my Dad's hair.

...besides, I'm not a Ginger I'm a Daywalker..lol (south park referance)

uruha-fan-girl
04-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Well my name is Angel. But every one spells it WRONG! They spell it as "Angle" even my friends do...And I'm like WTF!? Its A.n.g.e.l. Got it? Geeze I'm not a freaking Angle..Though if I was I would be an 'acute angle' lolz.. Okay I know its a lame joke but whatever ha ha I'm tired^ ^;

zizi994
04-30-2011, 08:37 AM
My real name is Elizabeth and I guess you could say I hate it. Mostly my friends and people at school call me at Zizi though, but at church and with family they mostly call me Elizabeth.

I know what your parents were trying to get at by giving their kids unique names while they themselves do not have them. I've always thought Elizabeth was so boring even though everyone always tells me how beautiful it is. "Aww, your real name is Elizabeth? That's so beautiful! Why do you go by Zizi then?" "It's too common. I like Zizi." "Oh." XD So I've always wanted to give my kids unique names, but not to the point of embarrassing them.

I like Japanese names (Kagami, Kaede,) names from anime (Alphonse, Lain,) some classic but not so common anymore names (Lucy, Alice,) names from Greek mythology (Persephone, Echo,) Shakespearean names (Hero, Nell,) month names (September, December,) reverse gender for fairly traditional names (Blake for a girl, Evan for a girl, Ashley for a guy,) names I made up (Harbor, Natchelle,) and tons others. When it comes down to it, I think I'll give my kid a first name I like and name their middle name after somebody. My dream name for a boy would be Radley "Rad" Valentine, but my boyfriend hates both so I don't see that happening. :<

My boyfriend decided we want to name the kids, if the conditions fit:
Alphonse Marcus (his middle name), AMM
Lucy Miranda (my best friend's first name), LMM
Either Kaede or Alice Rachelle (another of my friend's middle name), KRM or ARM

Speaking of initials, mine are EAR. One of my brother's is TAR and my dad's are MAR. I have a friend who used to refer to herself as KRB (pronounced kerb) and she used to refer to my ex-boyfriend as CAC (prounounced kack) all the time. The first I'm most jealous of is the one with the initials ELF...):<

Haha, was that too much information? XD I like talking about names a lot.

RinoaShadow
04-30-2011, 09:05 AM
My dad is really um.... i dunno, but he comes up with a lot of odd names for me. nicknames, signs of affection, yeah whatever. but um.... recently i've come to grips with the fact that uh.... THEY DONT MAKE SENSE. They're not even CLOSE to my real name, makign me wonder how he thought of them as nicknames, and all my life i'd jsut accepted them as my names without questioning it-- till now.

My real name is Isabella. My family calls me Bella though. anyway. nicknames my dad calls me...

-Bahl
-Bahla
-Ala Bahla
-Ali Bahli
-Agra bagra
-Aggy baggy
-Aggy baggy bones (-.- really dad? i made one joke about chicken bones as a kid and you're... just ugh.)
-Balui (Bah-loo-ee)
-Bella-boo
-Disagrable (Dis-a-grah-bul.WHAT?!!?!?!!? HOW THE--- I MEAN--....HOW DOES THAT EVEN...?.... BUT-- LIKE--...WHAT?)

^of all of them, the one i question the most is definitely Disagrable.

ToroSonyCat
04-30-2011, 09:16 AM
My first name is Olivia and people STILL spell it as Oliver. I mean, really?
Every single year, I'll get a Christmas card where someone spelt my name as 'Oliver' instead of 'Olivia'.

I always have to spell out my surname to people too, which is understandable as it is uncommon. But even if I spell it out slowly, people STILL don't spell it correctly or try to correct me! It's only 5 letters, nothing complicated.

ambertwilight
04-30-2011, 10:59 AM
my last name neel gets me a good discount hotel because of that cooking show,my first name is treated the worst,its saumer,pronounced summer,lol ppl have called me sandmower XD

Convulsive
04-30-2011, 12:06 PM
mine is a different lettering of my mum's maiden name, which means "Candle Maker".

HMTQ - Madge
04-30-2011, 12:58 PM
My name is Raeanne, pronounced Ray-ann. You have no idea how many times I've been called Re-ann, with some people just getting lazy and calling me Renee. Other than that, I think my name is decent. It's unique without being way too out there, and I've only met two other Raeanne's before.

The thing I hate is my middle name. There's nothing inherently wrong with it by itself, except... my parents thought it would be cool for my middle name to rhyme with my sister's middle name. I will never understand their reasoning for doing such a horrendous thing. ._.

Ragtime Mouth
04-30-2011, 03:24 PM
My first name is Mio. It's actually meant to be Spanish, not Japanese, as you'll usually see it. (I'm 1/2 Cuban on my mothers side.) It means "my" my Mio.. it's never pronounced right, and cards were always misspelled.My initials are MAE, apparently means May.

My sister-in-law likes hearing the pokemon Mew and asks me to mimic the sound so she can squee. XD And recently there has been some sort of water flavor things called MIO, and.. the funny thing is, the commercial for it started by some (remember this) red liquid being poured into clear water in slow mo, and then it said "MIO!".. the reason why it was so funny was because I was in horrible menstrual pain, moaning and dying, and my husband just whips his head back with a big smile and points at the screen "THAT'S YOU!"

JiseiHakushaku
04-30-2011, 03:34 PM
My name is Kaitlyn, and since I was very young people called me Katie. Honestly, considering I know about 50 Katie's, I prefer Kaitlyn. No one except the people who met me first as Kaitlyn call me by my given and desired name. :<

And then, when someone lectures me, they call me Katherine. When I say my name is Kaitlyn, people actually look a smidgen offended. "Well, Katherine/Catherine is the proper full name for Katie. >:/"

Most adults who think that my name is Katherine call me Kathy, too. Katie > Katherine > Kathy? It's an endless cycle of BLARG. Dx

I always wanted to be named something like Faye, or maybe something boyish. What I wouldn't give to be named Winry sometimes. >.>' *shot*

Ragtime Mouth
04-30-2011, 03:37 PM
My dad is really um.... i dunno, but he comes up with a lot of odd names for me. nicknames, signs of affection, yeah whatever. but um.... recently i've come to grips with the fact that uh.... THEY DONT MAKE SENSE. They're not even CLOSE to my real name, makign me wonder how he thought of them as nicknames, and all my life i'd jsut accepted them as my names without questioning it-- till now.

My real name is Isabella. My family calls me Bella though. anyway. nicknames my dad calls me...

-Bahl
-Bahla
-Ala Bahla
-Ali Bahli
-Agra bagra
-Aggy baggy
-Aggy baggy bones (-.- really dad? i made one joke about chicken bones as a kid and you're... just ugh.)
-Balui (Bah-loo-ee)
-Bella-boo
-Disagrable (Dis-a-grah-bul.WHAT?!!?!?!!? HOW THE--- I MEAN--....HOW DOES THAT EVEN...?.... BUT-- LIKE--...WHAT?)

^of all of them, the one i question the most is definitely Disagrable.

Not one of them Izzy? Dizzy Izzy? Dad's love confusing their kids, that's why they are dads. My dad used to call me boobyhatch, and when I asked what's a boobyhatch he'd tell me to look in the mirror. -_____- "Boobyhatch: SLANG an institution for the mentally ill." Thanks dad. My brother was chewagachuck.. still don't know what that is.

Angel Tear
04-30-2011, 03:53 PM
I love my names, I have my first name and two middle names. My first name is Greek, my first middle name 'Rebekka' is spelt slightly differently, and my second middle name is 'Lian' it's chinese, but really confuses people on how to spell it.

SaskWhovian
04-30-2011, 04:20 PM
My name is French, or French-Canadian... not sure. Anyway...

First name = Dollard.

Don't hate it, but don't particularly like it either. It just.... is. It is my name. Has been my name for years and while I could change it I won't. Family name sort of thing. Named after my dad who was named after an uncle who was named after his Dad and etc...

If my Mom had her way though I would have been called Mark.

RinoaShadow
05-01-2011, 03:29 AM
Not one of them Izzy? Dizzy Izzy? Dad's love confusing their kids, that's why they are dads. My dad used to call me boobyhatch, and when I asked what's a boobyhatch he'd tell me to look in the mirror. -_____- "Boobyhatch: SLANG an institution for the mentally ill." Thanks dad. My brother was chewagachuck.. still don't know what that is.

Actually, my friends call me Izzi, (and you have no idea how many people spell it wrong xD) but my family call me Bella :'D

HAHAHAHA oh man xD ...but yeah... dad's are just being dads when they do that... mine calls my sister (Maddy) Ding, Dinga, Made (Mah-deh) and Mad-Cow...

RinoaShadow
05-01-2011, 03:33 AM
just another thought.... I remember how my little brother, Thomas had this stage in his yougner years where he refused to be called Thomas. it had to be Thomas-*lastname*. and he will not ever be called Tom or Tommy.

his nickname for a while was Bubby :'D because when he was a baby, he'd laugh when we said "TINY BUBBLES!!" so it was Bub, Bubby, Bubby-man, Bubby-mon, Bubba.... etc xD and then theres how he also couldnt spell his name, so he spelled it Tohmas. so now my dad calls him that :'D (Toe-mass)

JewishCosplayer
05-01-2011, 03:42 AM
My mother spelled my name wrong on my birth certificate. She wanted to name me after Nicollette Sheridan, but she didn't realize you say it Nicolelet. She sucks at sounding things out and always heard it as Nicalet.

I hated growing up with my first name, because everyone was saying it wrong. I was constantly called Nicole. Yet, when I discovered that my mother said my name differently then other people I noticed why. She puts an 'a' where the real name is an 'o'. After I started spelling my name with an 'a', my name has never been mispronounced again!

Simple mistake, big results when fixed :D So my name is Nicallette, Nicallette.

My last name everyone always gets wrong. My dad's father was adopted so it's not his biological last name.

Convulsive
05-01-2011, 09:15 AM
my last name is Oldham (old-um), and i got so much crap for it in elementary school.
"haha, ew what smells?"
"Kandler! Kandler OLD HAMMY SANDWICH"
"HAHAHAH OLD HAMMY SANDWICH THATS FUNNY LAWLZ"
-.-"
but everyone's pretty grown out of it now. But now that classes get more serious, and more substitutes come out of the blue, my first name gets mispronounced all the time (mostly by the older people). I've gotten Calandar, Kantler, Chandler, Kander, Kanrer, I even once got Hannah.... lol wtf? and I'm like "No, it's KANDLER. the D is silent. KAN-LERRRRRR."

and apparantly my name was originally going to be Piper, but my dad talked my mum out of that one xD

Axelai
05-01-2011, 07:31 PM
PEOPLE.

My screenname is AXELAI. "Axel" + "Ai". Like, "Axel Eye". Not Alexia, Axelia, Alexai, or whatever the hell.

/sick of it

Akiyhrah
05-01-2011, 07:37 PM
PEOPLE.

My screenname is AXELAI. "Axel" + "Ai". Like, "Axel Eye". Not Alexia, Axelia, Alexai, or whatever the hell.

/sick of it

I totally sympathize XD

DireKitty
05-01-2011, 07:41 PM
PEOPLE.

/sick of it

I pronounce "Ai" like "Eye" or "Aye".... is there an alternate pronunciation?.

Akiyhrah
05-01-2011, 07:48 PM

I'm pretty sure she just means that people are dumb and say it wrong all the time. I have the same issue with my username. People always say things like, "Akee-hee-raw" or "Ak-eye-ha-rah"

CosplayCinema
05-01-2011, 07:49 PM
....I have Adrianna.....

My biology teacher forgot my name and some how came up with Andy o.O

Since i live so close to the border i get those hispanics who are used to Arianna so thats what i get called.....or they emphasize the r to much and it doesn't even sound like my name anymore.

My family calls me nana.....Adri-anna, nana.....and my friend found out.....and calls me adrainna nana banana fe fi fo fanna nana....and she does it everyday and it makes me all 'grr....>___> dude shut the hell up already....'

Plus the girl i greatly dislike's name is Adrianna so when ever someone is like 'i hate Adrianna she does this and she does that' i always end up thinking it's me so I now officially go by Andii at school as to not get confused with her.

My last name is mexican....and because of this lots of people and teachers think i speak spanish so they talk to me in spanish and just to be a jerk i let them finish their WHOLE talk and i go 'sorry i don't know spanish' and let them feel dumb :| just cause someone has a mexican, asian, or something like that doesn't mean we speak the language people.....like my friend's name last name is Chan and everyone asks him if he speaks chinese...

END.

Seraphy
05-01-2011, 07:50 PM
I disliked my name greatly while growing up (Gloria). Name meaning glory/glorious (and my brother was named Victor for victory...) All my teachers would sing the song (which I still have not bothered to listen to). During middle school, my friends and I liked Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and they would call me Glory, after one of the villains (I hated her). I was the only person to have the name Gloria for K-12. I still have not met another person named Gloria to this day. I don't mind my name as much now, but I'm not really attached to it.

Axelai
05-01-2011, 07:55 PM
I totally sympathize XD

( ノಠдಠ)ノ ┻━┻

I'm pretty sure she just means that people are dumb and say it wrong all the time. I have the same issue with my username. People always say things like, "Akee-hee-raw" or "Ak-eye-ha-rah"

^This

Like, I have people coming up to me all "Oh my god, are you Axelia!?" Like... Excel Ee Uh. I'm like "What 8|" at those people.

DireKitty
05-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Like, I have people coming up to me all "Oh my god, are you Axelia!?" Like... Excel Ee Uh. I'm like "What 8|" at those people.

Oh, how could they screw that up?

,,,nevermind, I don't want to know. >: (

Axelai
05-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Oh, how could they screw that up?

,,,nevermind, I don't want to know. >: (

Or being constantly called "Alexia". They wonder why I would put my name as Alexia when my real name is Rachelle.

........... 8| BECAUSE I DIDNT.

Yukikittie
05-01-2011, 08:01 PM
.... I once would say your name wrong Axelai. NOW I can say it right but five months ago? PFFTTT.
Hence the reason I almost never say it outloud. I'm horrible at pronouncing names of ANYTHING.
Let's take KAITO from VOCALOID as an example. I used to pronounce it as KAY-TOE. BUT NO, it's actually KIE-TOE. ;A;

DireKitty
05-01-2011, 08:02 PM
I think it would be hard to mispronounce my user name.

pltshp
05-01-2011, 08:15 PM
I admit, I used to get confused with Axelai (I'd mix up the x and l) but I've got it down pat by now.

I've had issues with my username but that is completely understandable. I would love for anybody to try and pronounce it in all its unpronouncable glory.

DireKitty
05-01-2011, 08:23 PM
I admit, I used to get confused with Axelai (I'd mix up the x and l) but I've got it down pat by now.

I've had issues with my username but that is completely understandable. I would love for anybody to try and pronounce it in all its unpronouncable glory.

I threw in some vowels.

Piltship

hell yeah.

My names eastern european, I really like it, it's sexy when i roll my r's like a vixen.... but in english... it confuses people because the written translation wasn't very... pure.

So people mispronounce it and then when i correct it they wonder why there's an "e" there... i tell 'em it was a free bonus.

Axelai
05-01-2011, 08:25 PM
.... I once would say your name wrong Axelai. NOW I can say it right but five months ago? PFFTTT.
Hence the reason I almost never say it outloud. I'm horrible at pronouncing names of ANYTHING.

I'd cry at you if you said it wrong in person.

I thought I meant something to you /cry

HOW DO PEOPLE DO THAT... /cry moar

And your name is off of Palletshipping, right? o:

pltshp
05-01-2011, 08:32 PM
I threw in some vowels.

Piltship

hell yeah.

I approve.

HOW DO PEOPLE DO THAT... /cry moar

And your name is off of Palletshipping, right? o:

I don't even know. It might be a brain thing? Like, we're more accustomed to reading those letters as Alex so brains just automatically jump to it? /bullshit explanation

...I am so predictable ;A;

DireKitty
05-01-2011, 08:41 PM
I approve.

I don't even know. It might be a brain thing? Like, we're more accustomed to reading those letters as Alex so brains just automatically jump to it? /bullshit explanation

...I am so predictable ;A;

That's it.

It's why we also skip words when reading things.... words that may be important!

TAE CAT usually gets read as "the cat" when you write it out and don't connect the A's at the top. Our brain will flip the A into an H because "THE CAT" makes more sense.

Brandenalex
05-02-2011, 06:27 AM
My first name is fine but my last name means (in english) buringcastle >^<
I like my name but...after so many pyro jokes it´s kinda getting on my nerves =.=

But a cool thing is that both my first and last name are parts of the names og famous partsof Berlin...strange thing is that I´m not even german XD

Yukikittie
05-02-2011, 01:44 PM
I'd cry at you if you said it wrong in person.

I thought I meant something to you /cry

But I won't anymore! I was young and foolish and I've learnt my lesson!

BABY COME BACK, YOU CAN BLAME IT ALL ON ME. ;o;

Edit; I can say confidently that no one has ever mispronounced my name. :3
Emily Adelaide Carlson/Yukikittie. IT'S SO EASY, HAHAHA.

ThakYuki
05-02-2011, 02:42 PM
That reminds me of a number of years ago back on Gaia. My username there was Thak. I had made one of those wishlist things in my sig that said "Thak's wishlist". Somebody said I spelled "thanks" wrong on my picture. And they insisted getting into an argument with me when I said I didn't. Then I obviously pointed out that it's my username that's in that picture.