PDA

View Full Version : Adding shoulders.

Fault
10-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Anyone have some advice for making it not look stupid? I will be covering my shoulder completely, so it just need to be something like shoulderpads.

Karisu-sama
10-27-2003, 08:46 PM
Shoulder pads are YOUR FRIEND. ^____^
Those latest pics of mine in the binding thread - oh YES that shirt has shoulder pads! ^^

They're not terribly thick ones, but they help hold the shoulders out to the sleeve seam (it IS a man's shirt - my husband's :p , so it's cut for wider shoulders than I have.) It helped give a bit more balance to hide the fact that I have nice 36" 'childbearing hips'.

Fault
10-27-2003, 09:04 PM
REally? Cool. Those look seamless. I couldn't tell.

Hmmm.. I'm just wondering how much I can extend my shoulders before it just look silly. Iori is rather well endowed in the shoulder department.

Karisu-sama
10-27-2003, 11:59 PM
I used those "1/2" covered soft molded set-in shoulder pads". (What thickness you use is up to you - I have pretty wide and non-sloping shoulders for a girl already.)

How I sew them in: I match the center seam of the shoulder pad with the shirt shoulder seam, and I put stiches at only 2 spots on that center seam: one right at the sleeve seam edge, and one about 2/3 of the way toward the neck. (pin in place and try on before you sew, so you can adjust if necessary.)

If you are going for a realistic (as opposed to exaggerated) basic boy shoulder look, I would use a man's shirt that is generally your size (it will be bigger in the shoulders than you are.) The pads will take your shoulders out to "boy width", (maybe about 1" or so wider than your own and more straight) and it may look a bit strange in a mirror to you. :p But not so strange for a boy. :p

Fault
10-28-2003, 05:23 AM
Thankyou muchly, once again most helpful. I will be posting more once I've given it a try. Unlike binding, this'll take some time, since I have to cross town to use a sewing machine *sweatdrop*.

Karisu-sama
10-28-2003, 07:58 PM
All you may have to cross town for is to BUY the sholder pads - I hand-sew them in! :) Really quick & easy. Takes like 5 min. - quicker than buttons!

Fault
10-30-2003, 07:01 PM
And also to buy the shirt. I don't own any boys shirts in my size.

I'm intending to hand-sew the pads in. With my Iori shirt though, I need to sew it up first (I took it apart to majorly adjust the proportions).

..does anyone know any exercise programs that will give you bigger shoulders? *sweatdrop*

Karisu-sama
10-31-2003, 03:28 AM
LOL, it's veeeerry helpful to have a husband who wears a size in tailored shirts that also fits ME really well (with binding and shoulder pad adjustment, of course.) :p

Exercise? Wrestling should do it - you should see the shoulders on my (female) wrestling instructor! Also lots of pushups. :/ Or lifting weights....