PDA

View Full Version : Fullmetal Alchemist Cosplay

Gypsyangelf4i
03-16-2011, 01:09 PM
How about a thread for general Fullmetal Alchemist cosplay chat? Who are you cosplaying? Problems? Ideas? Future plans?

I have Ed and Evy complete, but after the last con, both need a bit of tweaking. Ed's automail needs resecured and Envy needs a better skort.

And I now have plans to do a Ling/Greed and help my friend do LanFan. Just gotta find a pattern for Ling's shirt and Jacket. Also a wig.
this should get interesting, but fun.

animenerd93
03-16-2011, 01:37 PM
I personally cosplay lust, but I have group with me that does FMA too. It's cool because we have and envy (y does no one cosplay him at anime expo?) And then a Roy, risa with a movie version of ed and al. It's cool since at my con most fmaplayers (look I made a word :)) come alone or with like one other person so we stand out.

Mistbreeze
03-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Alphonse. The movie version at least. Nearly finished my friend's lust costume last night just a few seams left on that but over all its looking good. Im actually thinking about making Al's costume but not sure. Any ideas maybe for a pattern for his jacket. The cape will be pretty easy so im not worried. We are even thinking of skit ideas for us two. So things are going good on the home front here.

Gypsyangelf4i
03-17-2011, 06:14 PM
I just have to sew this "one" shirt for Ling....how hard could this be? Ugh, *head desk*.

Ironhill
03-17-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm finishing my Furher Bradley cosplay. Or as finished as it will ever get. Two days to the con and I lost the badge for the hat.

Gypsyangelf4i
03-18-2011, 06:19 AM
@ Ironhill - That is too awesome! You don't see many Furher Bradleys. I demand pics :D

rubyspitfire
03-21-2011, 11:08 PM
i do various versions of havoc ^_^ so far i've done military uniform and covert ops, working on another version from brotherhood for this year but don't want to give away spoilers for people who only watch dub, and probably will have "date night" (meeting armstrong's sister) and casual lined up for next year. if i can find material that matches my uniform pants i'd like to do a dress uniform version as well, but that might be difficult

Ryushi612
03-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Howdy,

Right now Im another one of the thousands of Roy mustang cosplay hopefuls. Eventually I want to try to do a Combat King Bradley cosplay, but im new to all this,Roy will be my first Cosplay attempt so I am trying to keep it simple while at the same time building up from scratch.

Con is in July, and I don't even know how to begin so wish me luck :D

Gypsyangelf4i
03-29-2011, 05:18 PM
BTW FMAB lovers, Netflix is now streaming the first two sets of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood...dubbed. Makes for some nice little background noise while working on your cosplay. Still no idea when the last two sets will be streamable.

auburnsky
04-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Hello. :toothy: Well, I'm currently working on an Ed costume. I made the belt and bought a wig so far, and I'm currently trying to find shoes. It's turning out to be a challenge though.

I was wondering, does anyone know where I can buy heel/sole for combat boots? I was thinking about buying some boots I saw at a local swap meet but taking off the sole and replacing it with a combat boot sole. Do you guys think that's a good idea? Or would the boots fall apart? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

Gypsyangelf4i
04-07-2011, 06:27 PM
In order to re-sole a boot, the new sole and old sole have to be made of the exact same compounds or it'll fall apart. I'd just buy some boots that are "close enough" to the look you want.

auburnsky
04-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Oh, okay. Thanks a lot, :toothy: you saved me money by not buying the boots, since they have cheap-looking soles that are not related to combat boot soles at all. A friend suggested I glue the combat boot sole to the original boots, but I have a feeling that would look strange and it'd be uncomfortable... So now I have to find another way to get the shoes. -__-

akira_harnett
04-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Ah, I'm still on a search for the right boots. -_- No one wears short boots anymore.. they're hard to find..

Gypsyangelf4i
04-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Black motorcycle boots may work in a pinch. Faded Glory makes one for Harley and I found a few cheaper on Ebay.
I've also seen people wear anything from black work boots to Doc Martens. I have a pair of black combat style boots from Tommy Hillfiger that work well. I picked them up at a yard sale awhile back.

Yumei
04-09-2011, 08:49 PM
I used snow boots! With is being spring you should be able to find some very cheap at like Walmart or something. Just look for some that are a solid black and have a kinda thick sole. I have a friend who altered her rain boots to look like his. I was lucky to have some old snow boots around the house I bought years ago for like 8 bucks. I ripped off all the fur, buckles and string. Most are plainly made of foam and some water proof material that you can easily cut through and shorten to you desired length just be sure to leave some fabric to fold over for sewing shut. Then you can paint the bottoms red like his and add the black straps he has. This is just a suggestion to hopefully help. ^_^

animenerd93
04-13-2011, 02:50 PM
does anyone know where i can find a pair of boots like lusts?

Stina006
04-23-2011, 06:37 PM
eheheh, going as Mei Chang, not sure if people will like it or not.

MinaUchiha2
05-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I've cosplayed a really casual Ed once before. Lately I've been wearing Princess Ed, it's a fan done design my friend and I did that I've worn a few times. <3 I do love a princess dress...

Gypsyangelf4i
05-06-2011, 11:26 AM
does anyone know where i can find a pair of boots like lusts?

Check your local thrift shops

Gypsyangelf4i
05-06-2011, 11:27 AM
eheheh, going as Mei Chang, not sure if people will like it or not.

Are you kidding me?? People will LOVE Mei Chang!! She's so rarely done! Bravo to you for doing her!:bigtu:

Stina006
05-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Are you kidding me?? People will LOVE Mei Chang!! She's so rarely done! Bravo to you for doing her!:bigtu:

^///^ thankies! that makes me happy<3
anybody know a quick way to get ride of dark circles? i has them. but dun wan tem DX

MinaUchiha2
05-13-2011, 11:17 AM
^///^ thankies! that makes me happy<3
anybody know a quick way to get ride of dark circles? i has them. but dun wan tem DX

Concealer? It works for me. ^^'

AnimeViolinist
05-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Anybody have suggestions for a Riza Hawkeye wig? ^_^

Stina006
05-17-2011, 02:27 PM

ooo riza hawkeye?
http://www.cosplaymagic.com/fualrihacowi.html
it looks super accurate, doesn't it?
careful when ordering from sites!

conceler? hmm never thought about it- derpderp-
and another thing! do you think i should carry a prop? like a stuffed panda or...naw...i can't afford more weapons DX i'll go with a pillow pet XD

Gypsyangelf4i
05-17-2011, 04:58 PM

The Five Wits just came out with an awesome Risa wig. And they're wig are great and usually arrive in a week. I try to order all my wigs from them. I'm out right now, but will try to remember to post a link once I get home.

AnimeViolinist
05-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! :)
I'm leaning more towards the Five Wits. I like the look of their wig, and they're based in the US which is a plus. :D

Gypsyangelf4i
05-18-2011, 08:08 PM
OK glad you found it without a link. I LOVE the Five Wits. Their wigs arrive like 4 days from ordering and their customer service is da bomb. Plus, their wigs are awesome quality as well. Definitely worth the price IMO!

WhisperHeart
06-11-2011, 09:13 PM
going as martel this year....just issues with finding a wig that would work

Gypsyangelf4i
06-12-2011, 07:22 AM
^Awesome. Martel is so underdone.

The wig is a tough one.It's sooo short. If you're comfortable with cutting, I'd almost buy a punky style and trim it waaay down.

If not, maybe this one from The five wits:

http://thefivewits.net/2010/06/starkes-schones-blondes-haar/

They show it smooth, but my friend has the brown one of this length and it's easy to muss it up a bit. You'd have to comb it out and add some slight spiking with hairspray. And you'd also have to either sew or clip in an extra bit for the long piece in front. But you could probably find a close enough weft at Sally's Beauty supply.

Another short hair option from TFW but a bit longer is:
http://thefivewits.net/2010/06/yosh-princely-hero-type/

Not sure how it'd pull back though.Looks thick enough. But once again, you may actually have to trim it. I'd send them an email with some reference pic to get their opinion,honestly. They're very good at answering questions.
Just a couple suggestions.

WhisperHeart
06-13-2011, 07:03 PM
she is! i've only found three pics of people cosplaying her and two of the pics were the same person. thanks for the wig suggestions!

Stina006
06-19-2011, 02:22 AM
MARTEL!!!! You must post pictures as soon as it's done! i wanna see a martel cosplayer for the first time : >
i ordered a Xiao Mei plushie!! so cute!
any of you guys going to Animefest?

Mystic~
06-19-2011, 10:42 PM
I'll be there, I'm bringing Promise Day Riza, and maybe my uniform so I can be regular Riza as well. I'm trying to figure out how to build the rifle Riza carries with her during the Promised Day Arc. I really wanted to have that for A-Kon. Hopefully I'll have it done in time for AFest.

Stina006
06-24-2011, 03:52 PM
I'll be there, I'm bringing Promise Day Riza, and maybe my uniform so I can be regular Riza as well. I'm trying to figure out how to build the rifle Riza carries with her during the Promised Day Arc. I really wanted to have that for A-Kon. Hopefully I'll have it done in time for AFest.

Oh cool! Promise Riza!!
i wanted to do a Promise Mei, however her promise arc clothing is blood stained and i have only 1 mei chang cosplay....but perhaps someday...

ShindoW_Kitsu
08-28-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm planning to cosplay Ed this year... I originally wasn't going to do automail but it looked like a fun challenge. By some fluke it actually fits under my jacket XD I just need to seal it so the paint doesn't come up. (Maybe I can post pics for opinions?)
I've also been a bit worried about using my own hair... its a really dark blonde, almost brunette, but I have the same style (maybe a little shorter in the braid) and didn't want to waste money on a wig if I didnt have to. ^^

Gypsyangelf4i
08-28-2011, 10:37 AM
^I'd love to see pics!! What did you use to make the automail? I've seen many Ed cosplayers use their own hair. It's not as crazy as some anime styles so it's quite a bit easier to pull off without a wig. Even without the color being 100%. Some people might give you flack for not having a wig, but if you have automail, it'll probably distract them enough to where they won't mind. ;)

ShindoW_Kitsu
08-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks Gypsy :D Usually there are 2-4 Eds at Oni-Con, so I figure it won't be a big deal. You want one with a wig, there's plenty to find XD

As for the automail... I'm worried its not good enough. I know it's not horrible, but it's mediocre. BUT, I'm very content with it! :D The paint is a bit too shiny, but I got good spray paint that looks "metal" and was on sale, so it was good all around.

The only reasons I don't have pics up are: 1) the automail needs to be heat-shaped to fit better, 2) the hand isn't finished because no one has gloves out yet... However, here's what I have done at the moment:
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/316957_2332327708678_1264335302_32777742_6136907_n .jpg

Here's a funny story... I'm cleaning out my closet to clear out items and find my Alphonse stuff, when I find 3 different gloves, no matches (none thin enough to use for the costume anyway). When I finally find a good pair... and these are a set and match... theyre both left hands!! :mad:I can't wait for Sept so local stores get those cheap/thin gloves in stock so I can finish my cosplay. ^^

harmonyisarine
08-29-2011, 10:51 PM
A really cheap and easy way to make gloves (assuming you have a sewing machine) is to take a fabric that stretches in both main directions, trace your hand in "hand turkey" position (fingers splayed but not super stretched) and then sew along that line through two layers of fabric. When done, cut out about 1/8 inch from the stitch line, and bam! A finished glove that doesn't sacrifice one of a pair. This method is quick and only works with a fully stretchable fabric, but it did wonders for our automail ( http://kitsunesqueak.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d47svyp and http://kitsunesqueak.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d488yr2 ).

ShindoW_Kitsu
08-29-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the advice! (definetly keep that in mind for when I have the right kind of fabric / absolute necessity) I'll probably just modify one of the lefty gloves since I have 2, really. :D

Gypsyangelf4i
08-30-2011, 05:54 AM
The automail looks great so far. Can't wait to see the whole cosplay.

ShindoW_Kitsu
08-30-2011, 10:59 PM
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3040838/

My completed automail... opinions? :D

Gypsyangelf4i
08-31-2011, 05:50 AM
That looks great!!

Stina006
08-31-2011, 11:01 PM
Looks awesome! But, I'd recommend painting/airbrushing the automail to make it a more accurate color. Or maybe it just looks really bright...

Kibafan
09-01-2011, 08:31 AM
looks good hi am am new to this thread :D I am in the process of building The full suit version of Alphonse that has slowed do to lack of funds to buy the materials needed so i most likley wont be done till next year also i hope to do Briggs Armstrongs sister once i lose some weight that is

charliemaejay
12-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Has anyone cosplayed winry yet? I did last year and i made it in 30 minutes, since my hair was already blonde and i rolled up a black shirt and had frayed tan snow boots under light-wash ragged jeans and a red bandana.

Where do you find a jumpsuit? and those shoes she wears(sandles?).

strawberrys&dog
06-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Curse you Edward Elric's antenna...curse you.
I'm having...issues with that freaking thing.
Anyone have a good tecnique to create his antenna?

PepMaster
06-28-2012, 01:45 PM
What does it look like?

TeaForThought
01-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Just popping in here....for whatever reason I never dropped in on this thread.

Anywho.

I've dealt with the complications with automail and now..I have a new plea.

I can't figure out how to properly tie the shoulder cord for my military uniform.
Are there any good tutorials on how to do this?

Hopefully I'm not the only one who's had this issue before....

KeiFan
04-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Hello, I am currently doing a Lust cosplay, though I'm having trouble finding a good wig for it. My hair has the same colour and style as hers but it's a bit shorter, so If I can find some extensions that'll work too.

Also I wanted to do her nails you can say? on one hand but that leads me to the second problem how to make those and how to make the gloves too.

If anyone knows or have any Ideas I'd really appreciate it

iKate
09-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Hello! So, I'm cosplaying Envy and I have most of it except the shoes and the hair, The hair being my main issue. Do any of you have any ideas?

Akahime
09-24-2013, 04:57 PM
iKate: :) If you google up FMA Envy Wig Tutorial, you'll find some links to tutorials for people who already attempted it. I know there was a really great cosplayer who did an epic Envy wig, but alas I'm at work so I can't surf the net to the fullest. Good luck!

Hey people, my sister recently forced me to watch Brotherhood and I'm loving it. 8D;; Already considering Olivier Mira Armstrong. xP

MissLunatic
10-26-2013, 04:23 AM
@Akahime:
Just seeing your avatar I think she'd really suit you.^^ Brotherhood's a very very great anime indeed. Fell for it already last year when a friend pursuaded me to watch it.^^

And btw hey^^. Haven't written in this part of the forum already since I simply didn't know what to write. But I really enjoy cosplaying from FMA since last year and I really love the Brotherhood anime as already said and I'm thinking about reading the mangas soon.

My favourite character somehow ended up to be Ling Yao and somehow I couldn't resist to cosplay him.^^ It's very much fun at a con and currently after the first version I'm trying to get everything together for Greeling or just the clothes he wore before and in Gluttony's belly. (It's not very different afterall.)
But there is also a very strange random project I somehow came up with since a friend also likes cosplaying Mira... I'm acually thinking about cosplaying Miles as well some time xD. I like him, the ppl from Ishvall fascinate me and well it would be an interesting challenge. Plus I'd not even need contacts urgently since he wears his goggles most of the time.

Nay Tamaru
11-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Wow I can't believe I didn't see this thread sooner.

Anyway... I'm working on making Riza/Roy uniforms because our brought ones didn't work out well.

The blue isn't dark enough & it bothers me. >_< But I'm freaking out, haven't sewn that much before!

Posted via Topify (http://topify.com) on Android

tardispants
05-21-2014, 12:15 AM
I'm a bit late to post on this thread, but ehh I'll do it anyway. I'm planning to do Rose Thomas in the first episode. Seriously this is such an easy one, the hardest part is the wig, and I've already figured that one out.