PDA

View Full Version : FanFiction

BsWN
03-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Fanfiction. Opinions? Really good fics you've read? Really bad fics you've read? I might as well say, no slamming/flaming a specific author.

Be sure to include which fandom and what site they're on. Feel free to recommend other authors or stories.

~
Authors that I love=

-Matilda on AdultFanFiction.net, also known as MRS-Jeevas on MangaBullet
-ShinigamiMailJeevas on Fanfiction.net or Alexhliel on dA
-Holly-chan on FF.Net
-NothingsSorrow or NothingsXSorrow on FF.Net
- Xxbeyondxbirthdayxx on FF.Net
-LovelessSlave on FF.Net

Stories that stand out in my mind (That aren't written by any of the authors above)=

-(Death Note Fandom: MelloxMatt) Techno Rejump and Breathe Electronica by DiabolicaJeevas on FF.Net
-(DN fandom: MXM) Broken Colours by City Girl Dreamer on FF.Net
-(DN Fandom: MXM) Dirty King by ThatJeevasFanChick on AFF.Net and LadyDragonCharmer on dA
-(DN Fandom: MXM) Tinted Gold by 0-Kelly-0 on FF.Net

There are more, but I'm too lazy to post them all now. ^^" *FanFiction nerd/addict*

SheAteMyHeart
03-19-2011, 01:16 AM
I'm a HUGE fanfiction buff. It's sort of an addiction of mine. I discovered it actually when I was like... 12 and obsessed with The OC of all things. Then I got into Inuyasha which was my first anime, and I've been reading ever since. XD

Some of the best fanfics (in my opinion) come from the Yami no Matsuei writers. I spent a good three years stuck in that fandom and even now I poke my head back in to see if there's anything good/new for me to read. I mostly skim through ff.net, but there's stuff on AFF and other sites where you can find fics.

Glee is my current obsession and boooy, have I read tons of fics. I totally recommend going to a live journal community of the pairing of your choosing and reading some of the stuff there. The Brittany/Santana ones are AMAZING. I've also read some Puck/Kurt by an author named IceQueenRia on ff.net and let me tell you, they're awesome.

Akiyhrah
03-19-2011, 01:30 AM
I love fanfics. I've been reading them for yeeeeeeeeeears, and I've seen the good, bad, and the very very ugly. lol
I also write fanfics, but I haven't written a new one in a while.

Ineedaname9
03-19-2011, 03:48 AM
Love fanfics XDDDD I've ventured off into a lot of different fandoms because of them.

I love HP fic's the best though...or older, pre seventh book fic's are the best. lol

My most recent favorite would be Broken Slipper by Rutoh-Chan in the Skip!Beat fandom XD

Axelai
03-19-2011, 04:39 AM
I wrote my fair share of fanfics in middle school.

They sucked.

I've written two fanfics over the past year, both for the Hetalia Kink Meme. The first was really horrible. The second... I'm proud to say, I reread my own fic and laugh at it XD;; Its not done. Its on chapter 3 out of 4, and I hope to finish chapter 3 soon. I'm just lazy.

Yukikittie
03-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Oh fanfiction, my favorite. ^^;;;
I read it and write it. I like the Hetalia, Drrr!!, VOCALOID, and Shiki sections. Don't really remember good authors, but I remember this one writer named Orihara Izaya who wrote a really good Shizaya fanfic in Drrr!!. It was amazing, and then after she finished it, she deleted it.
I was so sad. .w.
Writing, I've written two Naruto from when I was a Narutard, and three VOCALOID. C: They're pretty shitty but people seem to like them, so I'll continue writing them. (I'm a lazy whore and never update though. >> )
I'm working on a Shiki one at the moment. SHIKI FANFICTION IS SO SMALL. NEEDS MOAR.

Yukikittie
03-19-2011, 07:38 AM
POST~!

We... we have the same character's avatar. This is so ironic and so awesome. xD

andprosper
03-27-2011, 12:27 AM
I'm a huge fanfiction buff. But I never lay a hand on the Pit of Voles.

Lots of slash. Lots and lots of slash. To be honest, I don't read anything but slash and femslash. I tend to focus on Star Trek, Harry Potter, and Doctor Who fanfiction. Because I have pairings in those. There would be other shows and such I'd love to read fanfiction of, but I read it mostly for non-canon pairings. If I wanted canon, I'd read/watch the actual book/show/movie.

I write fanfic, too.

Kildread
03-27-2011, 12:33 AM
Fan-fiction scares the bejeezus out of me. While I didn't read a whole lot of them, it often feels like a window into someone's inner fetishes.

I don't mean any graphic stuff, I mean taking their favorite characters in a setting they enjoy and playing around in it. I'd pick the official stories over the fanfictions any day.

And some books over fanfictions as well (I say 'some' because there's likely books written in the same vibe as fanfiction, thankfully I've been spared).

dagmarus
03-27-2011, 12:56 AM
It's really rare that I'll come across a good fanfic. And I really don't get the obsession with making every attractive male character gay. I mean, yeah, it happens a lot with female characters as well, but slash fic seems to be much more common. Sometimes it makes sense, like anything involving the Hobbits? Yeah. Not much of a stretch. I think the biggest problem is when people don't understand the characters and they pretty much fundamentally change the character. I love finding a fic where the writer very clearly gets the characters and knows how to write them so well, it feels almost canon.

And I have to admit, it's kind of funny when you can clearly tell the writer is a virgin and doesn't really get the mechanics of what happens, especially with same-sex partners.

LovelyOmen
03-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Fan-fiction scares the bejeezus out of me. While I didn't read a whole lot of them, it often feels like a window into someone's inner fetishes.

I don't mean any graphic stuff, I mean taking their favorite characters in a setting they enjoy and playing around in it. I'd pick the official stories over the fanfictions any day.

And some books over fanfictions as well (I say 'some' because there's likely books written in the same vibe as fanfiction, thankfully I've been spared).

I usually write fanfiction because I have no decent characters of my own to use. Once I get my hands on them, I mold them into my own shape, and they become 'my version' of them.

It's more of a resource to me than a need to write a story about my favorite characters.

IAmShorty
03-27-2011, 01:29 PM
I love fanfic. Ive been reading it since I was about 12 or so. I used to write some of my own too. Boy, did they suck, haha. I took them down years ago so as not to unintentionally kill people's brain cells.

I don't write it much anymore(And the FF community takes a collective sigh of relief) but I still read lots and lots of stories. I also enjoy reading the really bad ones with gramattical errors. You know, the ones written by 12 year olds. They're just really funny XD

HareyuNanami
03-27-2011, 01:34 PM
I LOVE Reading fanfictions.
I am a fan of M rated ones though ^^; I guess its because the author can be as detailed as possible. I barely read any T rated ones.

My favourite ones to read have got to be;
- Labyrinth (Sarah x Jareth)
- Harry Potter (Lily x Severus)
- Harry Potter (Hermione x Draco)
- Harry Potter (Hermione x Tom Riddle) ~ its pretty good XD

I dont read alot of anime/manga based fan fics unless I really loved the story or pairings from the original concept. I think the only one I've ever read was Escaflowne fanfics with Hitomi and Van x3 and a couple Skip Beat! with Kyoko and Ren <3
But yes, I just LOVE FanFiction <3

HidingintheMist
03-29-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm a fan of fanfictions, but sadly I have preferences. I cannot read in first person due to some horrible books I've read in the past. I know I'm probably missing out on a lot of good ones, but thats how I am with it.

Lately I've only being reading Hellsing and Vampire Hunter D fanfics. Hellsing more so that VHD.

Some of my favorite fanfiction.net authors:

death-in-the-orchard (for Hellsing)
Soul of Ashes (Hellsing and VHD)
-RiP-Vii (VHD)

I do prefer the original work over fanfictions, however good the fanfiction may be.

TR Rose
03-29-2011, 02:52 PM
I used to write fanfic but haven't in years. Usually they would be short comedies, short sweet/romantic ones (non-graphic), and my favorites were the longer "in-universe" explanations for things glossed over in the real series. I had some really nifty ideas for stories but ran out of steam/ideas after the beginnings.

Pocketfightr
03-29-2011, 03:22 PM

I feel that way too. On a whim, I once looked to see if there was Star Fox fanfics. I stumbled upon the worst piece of writing I had ever seen. It had Fox, Batman and I think Santa Claus in there. I don't even know if there was an explanation for Batman. It didn't help punctuation and grammar were throw out the window. I'm not a grammar nazi but yeesh, I couldn't understand what the author was trying to say at times. (I like to think maybe it was written by an elementary school kid and that's why it was so bad/random.) I think that was the last time I went searching for fanfics.

I attempted to write one, once. It was a cross-over, putting the Chrono Trigger cast in the Fushigi Yugi world with Marle and Lucca playing the roles of Miaka and Yui. Unfortunately, I don't think it got very far.

_Sketches
03-29-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't know if you're allowed to post your own fanfiction here? Mine certainly isn't too fantastic, just oneshots about Kingdom Hearts mostly, haha. Haven't written any since last year anyhow.

I used to read so much Fanfiction... I don't really anymore. >:

Inoli
03-29-2011, 04:49 PM
about 1 story out of 200 is a decent well thought out story. there is next to no fanfiction for some of the characters I want to read about, or if there is in my opinion they got the characters COMPLETELY wrong. So.... I turn and write my own. I dont say its the best, hell I'm a wordy person so one simple fan fic turns into 80 pages quickly. I like a lot of plot and story behind what the character is thinking and why. Even if the cannon character is changed to do as the writer wants and therefor out of cannon, as long as there is PLOT and reasonings behind it, that's fine.

And seriously.... does ever fan fic HAVE to be about fornication? Its better doing then reading, I don't want to read about it. ew.

Stormraven24
03-29-2011, 04:58 PM
I approve of fanfiction in general because it does get people interested in creating and writing, but I don't like how the majority of what goes online is written by 12-year fanboys/girls who have odd fascinations with sexual positions that don't even exist :/

The only one that stands out in the many years I've been reading/writing fanfics is "A Forfeit of Dreams" by KL Morgan for the Labyrinth movie. It keeps the spirit of the film, but is more mature and ventures into more of the psychology of the characters and connectings mythologies to them. It also doesn't cop out at the end and just hand you what you want. Really, really brilliant piece of writing.

moogles1989
03-30-2011, 01:28 AM
omg.....fanfiction is my guilty pleasure i stumbled upon it when my parents got a computer and internet waaaaaaay back in like 1998-1999ish i was around 9 or 10ish at the time and stumbled upon ff8 gundam wing and sailor moon fics. some where amazing at the time and the plot lines have stuck with me even now at 21 lol. I progressed from strictly canon fics to au and slash.

then i moved on from sailor moon and gundam wing to Harry Potter and some animes (mostly HP) until VERY recently that i have moved on to Glee i love Glee like a lot. besides fanfiction was the only thign that got me through the 2 year wait in between HP books as well as the Hiatus for Glee mid season and between seasons..... thouh it is very rare that i find amazing fics. I have read soem truly amazing works that with a name change and a few plot tweaks could very well be their own novels. though the one thing i hate is finding one that has a promising plot summary only to discover its utter crap.....

oh and just to put this out there the twilight fanfiction is sometimes better than the actual book. just sayin lol

tunesonatuesday
03-30-2011, 06:54 AM
I'm a total fanfiction creeper. I'm that person everyone hates who reads a ton of it and never rates or reviews.

I don't know why but lately I've really been into L and Misa, and I'll always love Lily and Severus. I could rant about my thoughts on Severus Snape and James Potter and my thoughts on Lily for hours.

I also pretty much only read M-rated fanfiction. Not for the pr0n but because I think it gives the author more liberty, and some sites are really strict about what they allow under a T rating.

Also, I can't stand when people pair up characters that so obviously hate each other. I'm completely spacing out on which pairs right now, but I guess some examples are Naruto and Sasuke, and Ciel and Alois. Not that I only follow canon pairings (Zutara ftw!) but I just don't think characters that hate each others' guts will fall in love (which I know sounds contradictory as a Zutara fan, but somehow with Zuko wanting to turn good it just works, and Aang is way too young for Katara at their ages and she's more like his mother figure and he's just confused about that - okay, tangent)

Also, it really bugs me when people write love stories about really young characters, like I've seen some Sakura and Syaoran stuff that was Cardcaptors-based. They're ten! Also, some Indigo-League Ash and Misty. ALSO TEN! When I was ten I was kicking soccer balls in boys' faces! Not finding twue wuv!

TR Rose
03-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Also, it really bugs me when people write love stories about really young characters, like I've seen some Sakura and Syaoran stuff that was Cardcaptors-based. They're ten! Also, some Indigo-League Ash and Misty. ALSO TEN! When I was ten I was kicking soccer balls in boys' faces! Not finding twue wuv!

Haha, I've always been a Rocketshipper, at least Jessie and James are legal age (or close to it!) ;)

Surprisingly I started reading/writing Pokemon fanfic but I never really looked up other series after I got out of that craze. Although my first I ever wrote was a Mario/Peach love story waaaay back when...

moogles1989
03-30-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm a total fanfiction creeper. I'm that person everyone hates who reads a ton of it and never rates or reviews.

lol im totally that person too i sand praises to ff.net when i discovered they had a mobile site and now nobody can get my iPhone out of my hand, but i spend all my time reading fics and i never review....i bookmark and obsessively stalk the page untill it updats but i very rarely leave reviews, and i also cant stand pairing up really young characters its kinda gross...

FuntomKitten
03-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Fanfiction creeper heeere~ ;)

Right now I'm fidgeting around about one in particular: Commands and Caresses over on FF.net...I totally should not be reading it since it's M-rated but it's my guilty pleasure. XD (It's Undertaker x Grell, with Will x Ron mixed in.) [Somebody please go read it because I need to fangurl with someone without worrying about spoilers. XD]

moogles1989
03-31-2011, 01:25 AM
is it bad that i have another tab open with a fic as im posting here? lol

Kesra
03-31-2011, 01:56 AM
I have to be honest. I hate fanfiction. With a passion. Especially fanfiction that alters a character's sexuality. If a character is straight, it's not the same character anymore if you make them gay. And the same thing the other way around. I'm sorry, it's just not. I mean I can't stress enough just how much I hate fanfiction.

That said, I'm not one to tell people how to enjoy their free time based on my own extremely biased opinion. If I don't like fanfiction then I'm the one with the problem. Not those that read it.

Fan fiction readers/writers tend to keep it in their little corner of the internet. I stay in mine. We're all happy that way, I think. I just hate it when people try to shove it in my face. I used to have friends that wouldn't leave me alone until I read their fanfiction (which was terrible by the way) and commented.

But no one here is doing that and for that you have my eternal gratitude.

Kelley
03-31-2011, 06:37 AM
Characters being altered can make me physically uncomfortable, like a thousand spiders crawling over my skin.

I know this doesn't always happen and some people do try to be faithful, but I seem to run into the creepy stuff more often than not.

If other people want to do that, that's their business, but it just dances on my grave and makes me feel dirty. I don't really know why, either.

I like crackfick, where it's so crazy that it's not even trying to make sense, because then I can enjoy the mindless mayhem and don't have to feel bad because something someone else likes makes me really uncomfortable.

Chaletica
03-31-2011, 06:14 PM
I don't really read many fanfics. And, to be honest, there's a lot of... weird ones. Plus, when 90% of them seem to be about various pairings, and I couldn't really give a damn about pairings or love at all... there's just not much interest. But when I firs tread one, I enjoy... more fun stories. Maybe something slightly cracky.

But I wrote a Pokémon fic when I was ...10, I think? Yeah, just your typical cliché sue-fic where a trainer sets out to be a Pokémon master. Let's see... the main character got a TALKING SNEASEL as a starter, and in the second or third chapter, she got invited to join the "evil team" of that world, and upon learning that they were bad, she stole an Absol from one of the members. As in, she just pretty much... grabbed it and ran away. Then, she got to the first gym (which she of course won at once) aaand that's how far I got.
...It was horrible, to put it mildly.

Kelley
04-01-2011, 01:21 AM
XD

I wrote Sailor Moon fanfic once. I wish I could go back and read how horrible it was (AOL was still sending people CDs in the mail, so this was some time ago), but I've looked for it a couple times and never found it.

ARIADecember
04-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I never got into fanfics, maybe I just haven't found a good one,
Nor do I really write them. I'll check out some of the people that were posted.

Edit: Radleia, that's true, the ones I have came across did change the character sexuality, I'm not really a fan of that.

noctiluca
04-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Oh, fanfiction...:rolleyes:

This'll probably make me sound like a bad person, and I don't do it often, but what's fun is taking turns reading out loud the trashiest smut fanfic you can find with friends over Skype. It doesn't normally make me mad to see people ruin characters/series I like, but it can make it hard to breathe from laughing.:rofl: And for some reason, dirty fanfics based on kids' shows/books/games are almost ALWAYS the most depraved, with the poorest quality writing. omg.

doxiequeen1
04-06-2011, 01:37 AM
I like fanfiction, I really do, their are very few series I truly love, all of which are updated monthly, or have ended entirely, obviously the manga writers work is better then pretty much ANY fanficition writer out there, but for me getting 30 pages of story a month from my favorite fandoms just isn't enough for me.

Thus, when I really need a fandom fix, I look online for fanfics, I do agree a lot of them are bad, I hate when people make the character do something ridiculous that would never actually happen.

If it's not believable, it's not worth reading, at least that's my take on it. So making two main characters gay, or making the female lead inexplicably horny to the point of having a threesome with her now gay love interests- No. Just no. I'm sorry, but if you just want to create some crazy sexual atmosphere, that would NEVER happen in the series, use OC's, don't make my beloved fandom into something disturbing.

So those are my thoughts, just thought I'd share. I do have to say I mostly read M rated stuff, I know that's awful, but I don't read it for the sex, I just like seeing pairings I love being, well, together, since for some reason shojo manga never seems to go into the details.

It's late...i'm tired...sorry if that made no sense.

Kaniki
04-07-2011, 01:57 AM
I am such a nerd when it comes to reading FanFictions. xD Its REALLY bad. My fiance already knows that if I'm on the computer Im either playing a game or reading. I always have one opened in my browser. XD

Ive written a LOT of them and started reading when I was about 11? Ive won quite a few online awards for them too. ;D

My favorites (at the moment at least) would have to be:
HermionexDraco
KagomexSesshomaru
But honestly, I like fanfictions with either of the females being the center and star character.

supergeekgirl
04-07-2011, 04:38 PM
I pretty much only read MGS fanfic although I read quite a bit of that, especially if it's about the Cobras.

My favorite story right now is "This Is a Low" by MissMonkeh. It's in the M filter in the Metal Gear section if you want to read it yourself. Mmmmmm... so good (though not nearly as M-rated as it sounds).

Oh, fanfiction...:rolleyes:

This'll probably make me sound like a bad person, and I don't do it often, but what's fun is taking turns reading out loud the trashiest smut fanfic you can find with friends over Skype. It doesn't normally make me mad to see people ruin characters/series I like, but it can make it hard to breathe from laughing.:rofl: And for some reason, dirty fanfics based on kids' shows/books/games are almost ALWAYS the most depraved, with the poorest quality writing. omg.

I did this recently to a friend. I found a Rachel Ray foot fetish fic and read it out loud. She wasn't so happy with that. :)

pltshp
04-07-2011, 04:49 PM
I used to write fanfiction, although not anime. Good times.

I just let my friend link me to good RedxGreen or AshxGary fanfictions now. Or the horrendously bad ones for a good laugh. I tend to stay away from them because I hate reading mediocre/crap ones unless I have someone else to be amused at them with. Bitchy, I know. I read a really, really good GaryxJames one once. One day I will find that again, to satisfy the AboutTimeShipper within me.

Master_Loki
04-07-2011, 10:03 PM
I love reading bad fanfiction. I pretty much go to toplessrobot and just surf there for hours reading the bad fanfiction to the point my brain wants to explode. I am a particular fan of very good Ganondorf x Link it's about the only non-canon pairing I ship and am extremely embarrassed about with this irrational like of it haha.

Hayroon
04-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Wait is it even possible for fan fiction to be good?

JiseiHakushaku
04-09-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm a total fanfiction nerd in every way, shape, and form. For around five years I've actively written, read, beta read, and reviewed. I'm sort of addicted to the medium, lol.

Of course, I do write original stories and am on FictionPress as well, but I don't post my original works that much. I save those little dearies for special occasions and what not, or for if I need something to present to publishers once I'm out of school. *Creative writing major to be*

@Hayroon - Absolutely! A lot of stories are incredibly well thought out and good. You just have to find the right story and a writer who pulls it off well.

rebel666
04-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I <3 fanfiction. I have been reading a bunch of them on deviantart.com primarily. Sometimes I'll go to fanfiction.com but DA seems to have more variety for me.

There's one lady I particularly love reading on there... http://gyldedfynix.deviantart.com/
She has some awesome fanfictions with Garrus from Mass Effect and Fenris from Dragon Age 2.

rebel666
04-09-2011, 08:28 PM
I spend way too much time reading them. Usually I read ones from Mass Effect and Dragon Age. I'm particularly picky when it comes to them. They have to be captivating or I'll just move onto the next one.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, computer gets ENTER happy.