PDA

View Full Version : Female Outfit Questions

Seiten Taisei
03-17-2011, 11:54 PM
So I am slowly, yet surely getting into the steam punk phase. Though I have this question that has annoyed me that stumps me in making my outfit and buy things I would need for it.

First off a little about my idea.
-I am part of a Thief/Outlaw faction in Southern Louisiana. Its a fairly new group trying to get up off our feet. Yes I know there is a group in New Orleans called Steampunk America.
-My outfit is one of a Thief, most likely in a dress.
-The colors range for light tan to brown.

My questions
-I have seen nearly every female dressed in the steam punk attire wear the corset on the outside of their outfit. It almost seem required, is it?
-Even though they are mostly period outfits with a twist, is there a required color pallet?
-I know some people create outfits and personas to got along with different things like SKy Pirates and Airships. Is there a story behind this?
-If so where can I find it?

ThakYuki
03-18-2011, 12:47 AM
I don't think corsets are required. I've seen lots of great female outfits that didn't have corsets.

Mehdia
03-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Corsets certainly aren't a requirement, neither are certain colors. Browns, reds, and brass are certainly the most popular, but you can do any color you want. I've seen steampunk costumes in all sorts of colors and styles, so I say go for whatever you want to have.

Sutie
03-18-2011, 04:44 AM
"-I have seen nearly every female dressed in the steam punk attire wear the corset on the outside of their outfit. It almost seem required, is it?"

No, it is not required. I believe people do this because it is visually appealing. Look at a costume that has a visual corset vs. a dress with the corset worn underneath. Which catches your eye more?

"-Even though they are mostly period outfits with a twist, is there a required color pallet?"

Not necessarily. Steampunk is still a science fiction punk. You can create what ever color scheme you please. Though people tend to lean toward darker colors, leathers, and pinstripes as they were greatly common during the victorian era.

"-I know some people create outfits and personas to got along with different things like SKy Pirates and Airships. Is there a story behind this?"

This is due to finding out what tools and gadgets your character would need or have on them. Would a high class lady need goggles or glasses? A welder wear a lot of jewelry or a bunch of pockets for tools?

"-If so where can I find it?"

All over the internet (Deviant artists sometimes link online shops, Etsy, ebay), thrift stores, army surplus stores, grandma's closet, etc.

I hope this helps! ^^

Kelley
03-21-2011, 02:01 AM
I have seen nearly every female dressed in the steam punk attire wear the corset on the outside of their outfit. It almost seem required, is it? Gosh, no - I'd say it's overdone, if anything.

Even though they are mostly period outfits with a twist, is there a required color pallet? No. It depends on your personal conception of "steampunk". It doesn't really apply to a thief character, but it's good to remember that the Victorians actually did have hideously bright dyes available to them by mid-century. And they *did* use them in abundance.

I know some people create outfits and personas to got along with different things like SKy Pirates and Airships. Is there a story behind this? Like corsets on the outside, I think it's just an overdone cliche. I am always glad to see people doing something different and more creative. I know there are ways to put a new and interesting spin on an old idea, certainly - but there are so many Sky Pirates and Captains that I think you'll stand out a lot more with a creative idea and costume that's *different*.

Akira-hime
04-25-2011, 11:14 PM
First off a little about my idea.
-I am part of a Thief/Outlaw faction in Southern Louisiana. Its a fairly new group trying to get up off our feet. Yes I know there is a group in New Orleans called Steampunk America.
NYAW!!!! It's at times like this that I wish I wasn't poor. u.u I would LOVE to visit you guys. ;o;

-My outfit is one of a Thief, most likely in a dress.
-The colors range for light tan to brown.
Awesome! A thief on a dress!! i bet it will turn out lovely. ^^

My questions
-I have seen nearly every female dressed in the steam punk attire wear the corset on the outside of their outfit. It almost seem required, is it?
Nah! Depends on your SP persona really. If your idea of your persona requires it, then it does, if not it doesn't. It all depends on the outfit you want. But there's SP outfits that don't have a corset... and it doesn't mean it's not SP. It's just that that's the first garment many girls come across when discovering this Anachronistic world.

-Even though they are mostly period outfits with a twist, is there a required color pallet?
Hmmm... I don't believe it does. Even though tan, tea, brown chocolate, etc give off a vintage-ish air, they're not required. I've seen amazing SP outfits in pink, antique white and green. ^^ It all depends, again, on the persona and garments you choose for him or her. An example of an outfit with colours could be a bustle skirt in... say... black and white, and... a pink and white chinese blouse. ^^

-I know some people create outfits and personas to got along with different things like SKy Pirates and Airships. Is there a story behind this?
-If so where can I find it?

Ummm... I'm not sure... But Sky Pirates and Ariships are a bit overdone IMO. X.X I prefer to work with everyday careers and jobs. XD I dunno if there's a story of how that came to be, but you can write your own story of your own persona, and whatnot. ^^

Ppl work a lot with personas because it's much more fun that way in their opinion (I have my own persona, Alessa Marie), but you don't have to if you don't want to. If you just wanna be yourself and wear SP go ahead and do so. ^^

Good Luck with your group!! ^0^

EDIT: I also learned something just a few minutes ago: The outfit will also depend on how realistic you want it to be. So you have to think about that too. ^^

Seiten Taisei
04-26-2011, 01:44 AM
Well I have almost everything done with my outfit. And we started a group that is cross country.
The Thieves of Steam Paradigm (http://thievesofsteamparadigm.webs.com)

ThakYuki
04-26-2011, 02:21 PM
For some reason your character (a thief in a dress) reminded me of Miria from Baccano.

Seiten Taisei
04-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Never seen it. But that kind of makes me laugh a bit.

rubyspitfire
04-29-2011, 03:57 AM
Well I have almost everything done with my outfit. And we started a group that is cross country.
The Thieves of Steam Paradigm (http://thievesofsteamparadigm.webs.com)

i know of you guys :) i hope you're able to hit some cons up here. i like your idea of a thieves guild instead of the typical air/landship

Seiten Taisei
05-01-2011, 03:19 AM
Thank you ruby! We have been trying our best to be different. Hopefully, later down the road, we will be able to make it to Missouri Cons. Naka, ASTL, and I think there are a couple more in Springfield?

Anyways back on topic. I found this amazing vest. Its so comfy and I found it for $2 when the vest itself at the store was worth over 50$. Thank you Goodwill. We where actually hunting for some items to make my husbands outfit, though I think we got more stuff for me, lol.

rubyspitfire
05-03-2011, 01:23 AM
Thank you ruby! We have been trying our best to be different. Hopefully, later down the road, we will be able to make it to Missouri Cons. Naka, ASTL, and I think there are a couple more in Springfield?

i don't know of any in springfield, but there is glitchcon (http://www.glitchcon.com/) in bentonville, ar this year. it's being put on by dj infam0us and airship isabella is one of the guests. i'm planning on going to this one, but i don't know if i will have my steampunk outfit ready by then. i'm planning on going to anime festival wichita again this year as well, but still waiting on my tax refund and haven't been able to pre-reg or make any reservations so i have no clue where i'm staying

TheFontBandit
06-29-2011, 05:31 PM
There's also a steampunk convention in Wichita... Emerald City Steampunk Expo. http://www.emeraldcitysteampunkexpo.com/