PDA

View Full Version : Are Cats (Musical) costumes acceptable at conventions?

NefertariNami
03-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Hey guys! I tried looking this up, and either I'm not typing the right things or I'm just stupid, lol, but I was thinking- what exactly is acceptable at anime conventions and what isn't (costume/cosplay-wise)? If I were to go to an anime convention dressed as a cat (from the musical cats) would that be acceptable? Is there a line that shouldn't be crossed? Thanks!

MDA
03-18-2011, 01:14 AM
I would think so, there are girls walking around in skipmy as heck cosplays like Yoko from Gurren Lagann, or Velvet from Odin Sphere. And there's always people in spandex like what the performers in the Cats musical wear. So it should be appropriate.

If I saw such at a con, I'd have to have a fangirl squeal (Cats is my all-time favourite musical).

Narnian
03-18-2011, 06:29 PM
At the first con I went to there was an awesome Cats cosplayer there. It was so cool to see. I say go for it!!! Just have fun and those around you will too. Oh, and don't worry about the chauves or elitists. Even if you had the best cosplay at the con they still wouldn't be nice.

Luxuria85
03-18-2011, 07:28 PM
I Saw a CATS cosplayer at San Diego Comic Con in 2009. They exist. :)

KnightJeran
03-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Yes, there were two at Youmacon and everyone was freaking out about them! (freaking out in the good way!)

KiraCosplayHai
03-20-2011, 11:36 AM
There were a WHOLE group of Cats cosplayers at Expo, and everybody loved them!!

CerysKitty
04-02-2011, 12:44 PM
If it was a specifically Anime-only con, then I personally wouldn't cosplay as ANYTHING which wasn't from an anime, or at least from something Japanese. Same way I wouldn't cosplay Naruto to a western sci-fi convention...

However, if it's a general con, including Japanese/western/comics/games/movies and everything else, then it's be perfectly fine and everyone would LOVE you :D

I assume most people would love you anyway, I think I'm just personally a bit weird about what you wear to certain events....

GraelynRose
04-02-2011, 04:10 PM
If it was a specifically Anime-only con, then I personally wouldn't cosplay as ANYTHING which wasn't from an anime, or at least from something Japanese. Same way I wouldn't cosplay Naruto to a western sci-fi convention...

I'm doing it wrong! :reverse:

dagmarus
04-06-2011, 06:44 PM
NO!

Nah, just kidding. Sure, why not? There's no real rules. In fact, pretty much ignore what CerysKitty has to say about the subject of where it is and is not "appropriate". Wear what you like, to hell with "theme" of the convention. It's all about having a good time in costume anyway.

xxMaoxx
04-07-2011, 02:53 PM
There are quite a few CATS cosplayers at conventions..... try the Cats Costume Discussion Board http://theccdb.com/ There are quite a few on there.... :) and dressing up as a Cat is fine.... there are people that wear less..... ;)

vampricyoda
04-09-2011, 07:15 AM
I'd say do it if ya wanna. But don't be shocked if you get a few jokes made at your expense about being a furry from other con goers. Not that something like that should stop you of course but it'll probably happen.

I was at a con where there were Cats cosplayers who were fully in charactor and while (to me) it was a little odd since all they said were "Meow" and were crawling around on all fours they got a good reaction from the people around them. But that also wasn't an Anime Con and alot of times Anime Cons have con goers who are on the immature end of the Convention spectrum.

Lauren Halstead
04-13-2011, 12:06 AM
as far as i'm concerned all cosplay is acceptable! then more obscure the better! <3

as for cats cosplay!

LOOK! Melbourne supanova 2011

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2896768/

they one best group cosplay on the Saturday... or should i say "Caturday"....?

I'd say do it if ya wanna. But don't be shocked if you get a few jokes made at your expense about being a furry from other con goers.

I can have no bads on furry cosplayers, often there costumes are more detailed and complex then mine. They just leave me going woooooow!

kiratsukai
04-13-2011, 04:09 AM
Cats costumes are fantastical and seeing one at Comiket made our day.

Do it.

I'll love you for it.

So will a lot of other people, I'm sure.

Victoria Kitty
05-17-2011, 02:39 AM
I created an account just to reply to this hurr :P
I've cosplayed at a convention as a cat four times, once at an anime convention, the other at just general conventions, and to be honest... The general public just loved us. Cat cosplaying is a HECK of a lot of fun, and it is also a grand bonding experience, you tend to get noticed... a LOT, as well as meet up with a number of other cats costuming fanatics.

If you ever had in mind of cat cosplaying, there is a fantastic site (the cats costume discussion board -> theccdb.com) that we all come from. Basically, all the cat cosplayers are from there, it's like a world wide fandom of the cat variety :P

Do eeet do eett do eeeeett!

Stormraven24
05-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Why would it matter? They're not gonna kick you out because your costume isn't "omg Japaneeeeeese kawaii desu desu!!!111!" Anime conventions (I've seen lately) have been moving toward the mixed media thing in terms of costumes for a while. Sure, you're going to see an overwhelming amount of anime/manga/game cosplays, but others make their appearances.

Btw, I point you to a pic I took at a photoshoot I did last year (I haven't renwed my Pro account, so not all the photos are showing): Pouncival (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mistress_mu/5184073793/)

Akiyhrah
05-17-2011, 06:01 PM
I've seen two people cosplaying as Glinda and Elphaba from Wicked at conventions, so why not??

Axelai
05-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Why not? Anyone who says no to you is an elitest anyways P:

Victoria Kitty
05-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Yaaay that Pouncival is my friend Sere!

Ozymandias
05-21-2011, 05:00 PM
I myself have cosplayed as Victoria from "Cats" for Halloween, so I say go for it! :D Really though, depending on the material you use (I just used tight white jeans and a long-sleeve T-shirt), "Cats" costumes can be quite modest, especially since you are essentially covering every part of the body, so that shouldn't be an issue.

lunaladyoflight
05-22-2011, 10:29 PM
I did CATS cosplay for years before I got into Anime. I've been making those costumes since I was 12. :P

CharCharx3Anime
06-20-2011, 03:47 AM
I cosplay as Mistoffelees!! And they guys at my cons loved it!! And its so much fun! I got to roll around on the ground :]

lunaladyoflight
07-09-2011, 03:10 PM
I wore MY CATS costume to Anime Central 2007. I've since sold it, but I'm planning to wear a new one in the future. I have friends that wear theirs to conventions all over the US.