PDA

View Full Version : What are these called (and where could I get them?)

What-the-Spork
03-19-2011, 10:40 AM
So I'd like to get these two cosplays, but I kind of want them to be real, or at least not an intentional costume. I really like the Victorian feel and I would be planning on wearing them regularly if I got them. The two cosplays-

1 (http://www.hellocosplay.com/black-butler-kuroshitsuji-ciel-phantomhive-cosplay-costume-p-440.html) 2 (http://www.hellocosplay.com/black-butler-cosplay-chapter-22-ciel-phantomhive-costume-p-2375.html)
So, does anyone know the actual names of these types of garments? Thanks :)

Mehdia
03-19-2011, 08:14 PM
The green jacket is sort of a frock coat. Though all of Kuroshitsuji's costumes are a bit of an exaggerated version of Victorian clothing. As for the blue jacket...I don't know exactly what it's called. I just always associated those coats with Sherlock Holmes (I grew up reading those books)...

Kelley
03-19-2011, 10:49 PM
1830s frock coats are closest to the pinched-waist, coloured, and flambouyant look of the manga. Actual 1890s frock coats look almost nothing like that. The construction is not accurate to any era - real tails are actually a lot more elegant than what happens if you make a direct copy of what is drawn (the whole "splitting to reveal your rear" thing).

A women's coat could work, and you'll find similar ones from the 1900s to present day.

There were similar caped coats around the early 1800s as well.

What is it you'd like to do ? Are you trying to do a "historically accurate" version of the costumes ? Do you just want to do them "as is" and have names to go with them ? If it's the latter, I wouldn't worry so much about it - there's nothing wrong with the fact that these are garments that would never have existed. They would make perfectly normal modern coats, although I wouldn't buy those two examples for use as coats (I'd want something heavier and more "real", but it might be different if you live somewhere warmer).

Satine
03-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Yeah those are totally modern aestetics in both and I cannot think of anything earlir than say the 1930s that they would be appropriate for and then they would be for those wonderful famboyant Hollywood musicals :)

Wear them if you like them, they are pretty. And will fit in with a modern wardrobe far better than an historical garment would as those have a very different fitting system and look strange to eyes used to modern fitting.

One is a fitted jacket that flares to mid thigh and the other a flared coat with capelet. But they are generic terms not pinned down to a style or place or time.

Kelley
03-20-2011, 01:42 AM
She draws really modern shoulders and everyone gets princess seams everywhere, lol. xd

These are the coats I feel they may have taken inspiration from :

http://media.vam.ac.uk/media/thira/collection_images/2008BT/2008BT6524.jpg
http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/10/1/5/3/18721423159165083.jpg

Combined with the more traditional late-century frock coat and some fairy sprinkles.

What-the-Spork
03-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Yes, I'd like to have it look realistic (ie historically accurate), but in the same colours and such. Thanks for this information!

Kelley
03-20-2011, 10:02 PM
I think making garments look "realistic" is more about fabric choice and construction quality. Those are the things that make something look more "clothing" than "costume".

Historical accuracy is a different can of worms. Historically accurate in relation to what ? Historically accurate for 1890 is almost impossible - you'd be making completely different clothing. Historically accurate to 1830 is going to introduce a lot of different shapes and ideas, too - ones that go against the grain of the manga.

Either way, I think it would be borderline recognisable at best. Now, that could be fun, but if your first and foremost goal is "realistic", I'd go for better fabrics and construction - not historical accuracy. To make these garments REAL requires getting away from that, actually.

What-the-Spork
03-22-2011, 09:52 PM
So, I should just make them/buy whatever way I feel would be best and most aesthetic?

Mehdia
03-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Pretty much what you said. You will have to compromise between historical accuracy and what is aesthetically pleasing to you. You can mix them (as I did for Madam Red) but you will still have to compromise here and there to make it all work in the end. Since you seem to be going for Ciel's look, I would say try for some of the cuts of the era and find the best fabrics you can that will hold the shape. Then you can tailor them to be a bit more modern fitting and flattering to your shape. The fun of a costume piece is that it doesn't have to be something that would have been worn in the era of the series, but influenced by it.

Kelley
03-23-2011, 02:19 AM
Mixing-and-matching is pretty hard to do right. It would be simpler to just interpret the drawings into reality - then you know you have something that should work.

Mixing and matching across eras requires a lot of knowledge of said eras and more. More often than not, I see it come out looking "wrong" than cohesive. Pick and choose carefully - sit on a design for a few weeks and come back to it before buying any materials. Show the design to other people.

Otherwise, you're just looking to draft some pretty well-defined patterns from the manga and use medium-heavy weight wool to render them a reality.

What-the-Spork
04-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks-so I'll do that. Does anyone know any good patterns?