PDA

View Full Version : Eating grapefruits (or lack thereof)

DireKitty
03-20-2011, 09:46 AM
So... i walk into the kitchen and spy a grapefruit. Well, half of one. I grab a spoon and a bowl and hungrily dig in.

Five minutes later my glasses have been assaulted several times by streams of citric acid and my stomach is trying to digest itself.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Arc_The_Lad
03-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Sprinkle sugar on it first, and/or eat with toast.

DireKitty
03-20-2011, 10:15 AM
I don't think it needs sugar... but toast, neat... isn't it too juicy to slice up though?

Arc_The_Lad
03-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Toast isn't juicy at all my dear.

DireKitty
03-20-2011, 10:20 AM
HAHHA... i just reread that.... sorry! hahahha.. i meant the grapefruit. I imagine you would cut it up to serve with the toast.... lol....

Arc_The_Lad
03-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Yeah that's fine, just cut on like a paper towel or something.

I also knew what you meant, but took the opportunity to be a sarcastijerk.

UsakoLuna
03-20-2011, 11:18 AM
I can't eat grapefruit, I guess it messes with how my body absorbes my meds. Of course, since I can't have it I kind of want it, even though I don't really care for it.

ShinobiXikyu
03-20-2011, 01:08 PM
I could never stand it myself. WAY too sour, even with sugar on it for me. Even the juice (you could try that, too. Disgusting plant matter is easier to choke down as a juice/smoothie). I'll stick with oranges...

nannyogg
03-20-2011, 01:16 PM
I always peel them and then eat like an orange. I like them.

DireKitty
03-20-2011, 01:22 PM
I could never stand it myself. WAY too sour, even with sugar on it for me. Even the juice (you could try that, too. Disgusting plant matter is easier to choke down as a juice/smoothie). I'll stick with oranges...

I make a wicked smoothie... but have never tried with a grapefruit.

Everyone seems to like melons... i can't stand them though. However they are good in a smoothie.

Arc_The_Lad
03-20-2011, 01:24 PM
naw, Melons suck in all forms.

ShinobiXikyu
03-20-2011, 03:50 PM

Even when they're boob-melons? (This was just ASKING for it. XD)

beEp
03-20-2011, 05:31 PM

Hey hey hey. Watermelon is the most amazing thing known to man.

On an off note, I'd like to say that I'm glad my forum avatar isn't an actual picture of me.
...Don't investigate that statement if political incorrectness bothers you. :P

Origin
03-20-2011, 05:37 PM
A sprinkle of brown sugar. Yum!

DireKitty
03-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Hey hey hey. Watermelon is the most amazing thing known to man.

On an off note, I'd like to say that I'm glad my forum avatar isn't an actual picture of me.
...Don't investigate that statement if political incorrectness bothers you. :P

I don't get it. :(

I'm gonna attribute it to my being blonde.

Watermelon isn't that bad... just kinda lacks any "oomf" I think it needs to be kicked up a notch.

Origin
03-20-2011, 06:17 PM

Watermelon isn't that bad... just kinda lacks any "oomf" I think it needs to be kicked up a notch.

It could be because I don't really get it either (and I'm a brunette 0.o) but I'm sensing something racial?

Arc_The_Lad
03-20-2011, 06:30 PM
watermelon is just fine, other melons can suck it.

squ33k t0y
03-20-2011, 06:42 PM
When I lived with my grandmother, I basically had to learn to like honeydew and cantaloupe, because she gave me a little bowl of it with my breakfast every morning. I think I liked cantaloupe a little more...but I would still prefer other fruits to melons >>.

But yeah. I loveee grapefruit. :9

beEp
03-20-2011, 09:03 PM

Heh that's probably for the best.
But it's so JUICY and DELICIOUS. I wish I had some right now.

It could be because I don't really get it either (and I'm a brunette 0.o) but I'm sensing something racial?

You're on the right track. xP

DireKitty
03-20-2011, 09:07 PM
You're on the right track. xP

It's because i'm Canadian isn't it?

Arc_The_Lad
03-20-2011, 09:11 PM
We thrive off poutine.

DireKitty
03-20-2011, 09:16 PM
We thrive off poutine.

I've never had it. :)

ShinobiXikyu
03-20-2011, 09:16 PM
I've never had it. :)

BLASPHEMY!!!

DireKitty
03-20-2011, 09:17 PM
BLASPHEMY!!!

S'ok, I frequent Tim Hortens.

Arc_The_Lad
03-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Actually I hate poutine and Tim Hortan's.

DireKitty
03-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Actually I hate poutine and Tim Hortan's.

I go there when my stomach demands a Boston Cream Donut.

But now... i have a recipe for a Boston Cream Pie (actually a cake) ....

BWAHAHAHHAHAHA

Arc_The_Lad
03-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah I go sometimes for an ice cap but that's about it, maybe a chocolate glazed or boston creme. I can count the number of times I went to Timmies last year on one hand.

DireKitty
03-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Yeah I go sometimes for an ice cap but that's about it, maybe a chocolate glazed or boston creme. I can count the number of times I went to Timmies last year on one hand.

Hmm, I would have to say I can do the same.

I prefer the green tea cream frapps at Starbucks.... but the Timmies ones are not bad when you add chocolate milk.

Arc_The_Lad
03-20-2011, 09:42 PM
I go to Coffee Culture for my caffeine, Starbucks is poopy.

Jia Jem
03-21-2011, 12:01 PM
I usually slice and eat grapefruits like an orange.

Sometimes I butter them and sprinkle them with brown sugar and put them in the broiler for 10 minutes. Nothing like taking a perfectly healthy food and making it unhealthy for you.

Origin
03-21-2011, 12:50 PM
I usually slice and eat grapefruits like an orange.

Sometimes I butter them and sprinkle them with brown sugar and put them in the broiler for 10 minutes. Nothing like taking a perfectly healthy food and making it unhealthy for you.

It's like taking an apple. Sticking it in caramel. Then in chocolate. Then deep frying it.

I love melons. They're yummy. Anyone know why a grapefruit is called a grapefruit? (No cheating dammit. Don't look this up. I will tell you.)

DireKitty
03-21-2011, 01:24 PM
It's like taking an apple. Sticking it in caramel. Then in chocolate. Then deep frying it.

I love melons. They're yummy. Anyone know why a grapefruit is called a grapefruit? (No cheating dammit. Don't look this up. I will tell you.)

I take an apple, core it, put in brown sugar and bake it.

I thought they were called that because they "kinda" look like grape clusters in trees. I still think it's dumb, they don't look like grape clusters to me.

Maybe thats wrong, and thats why it seems so dumb.

penny_dreadful
03-21-2011, 01:32 PM
I like grapefruit spritzers. Also grapefruit cake. Regular grapefruit is uninteresting to me, kind of like how zucchini is intolerable unless it's been grated and baked into a chocolate loaf.

Arc_The_Lad
03-21-2011, 02:24 PM
I slice apples and eat them with that caramel dip from the grocery store.

Origin
03-21-2011, 03:50 PM
I take an apple, core it, put in brown sugar and bake it.

I thought they were called that because they "kinda" look like grape clusters in trees. I still think it's dumb, they don't look like grape clusters to me.

Maybe thats wrong, and thats why it seems so dumb.

Yep, that's why they're called that. Not so much cause they look like grape clusters, but their growth is technically called a cluster.

My apples are eaten with peanut butter. Lots of it. Like a 2:1 ration of peanut butter to apple.

rubyspitfire
03-21-2011, 09:52 PM
i can't eat citrus of any kind. it makes my mouth itch and my throat close up

UsakoLuna
03-21-2011, 10:41 PM
I love apples. And lemons

~H~
03-22-2011, 01:46 AM
I prefer the green tea cream frapps at Starbucks....

I could live off those! *drools Homer Simpson-style*

makotohanabi
03-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Grapefruits have too high acid content for me, and hubs can't eat it due to medications. So no grapefruit for us.

Flora88
03-22-2011, 07:10 PM
I read somewhere once that the grapefruit is not consumed by any animal other than humans.

No animal in nature eats them.

I think this should be a hint to mankind.

DireKitty
03-22-2011, 08:41 PM
I read somewhere once that the grapefruit is not consumed by any animal other than humans.

No animal in nature eats them.

I think this should be a hint to mankind.

I thought monkeys would eat it.

It has high amounts of vitamin C, and smaller amounts of vitamin A, B complex, E, K, calcium, folic acid, phosphorus, and potassium.... so it's good for us. =)

ShinobiXikyu
03-22-2011, 08:45 PM
But to many of us, myself included, it tastes awful. (BTW, what exactly IS Vitamin K? I always thought that it was the same thing as potassium...)

DireKitty
03-22-2011, 08:49 PM
But to many of us, myself included, it tastes awful. (BTW, what exactly IS Vitamin K? I always thought that it was the same thing as potassium...)

I dunno but wiki tells me lots of big words and funny pictures.

Flora88
03-22-2011, 09:03 PM

It has high amounts of vitamin C, and smaller amounts of vitamin A, B complex, E, K, calcium, folic acid, phosphorus, and potassium.... so it's good for us. =)

Oh, they're totally awesome, nutrition-wise. But other animals can't get past the acidity. Lol.

Humans. We can out-walk and out-acid (?) any other animal on the planet.
I swear, if aliens came to Earth, they might just think we're badass for voluntarily drinking cocktails of acid (soft drinks) over and over again.

nannyogg
03-22-2011, 09:19 PM

Maybe they just don't occur in nature where the creatures who would eat them live? In my household, there are at least 4 species besides humans that eat (and appear to like) them.

Flora88
03-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Maybe they just don't occur in nature where the creatures who would eat them live? In my household, there are at least 4 species besides humans that eat (and appear to like) them.

They don't occur in nature at all. They're hybrids. :D (I wiki-ed it. Lol.)
Probably another reason. Animals are like, "Wtf is this? You expect me to eat this? What is this I don't even."

nannyogg
03-22-2011, 10:19 PM
They don't occur in nature at all. They're hybrids. :D (I wiki-ed it. Lol.)
Probably another reason. Animals are like, "Wtf is this? You expect me to eat this? What is this I don't even."

Hybrid animals or hybrid grapefruit?

Flora88
03-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Hybrid animals or hybrid grapefruit?

Grapefruits! :D

FE Freak
03-22-2011, 11:25 PM

Agreed. I don't understand how anyone can eat or drink the stuff. It's so tart and ~__~. By the way, K is the symbol for Potassium so maybe it is the same thing?