PDA

View Full Version : How is Otakon like?

Mandy Mitchell
10-21-2002, 11:33 PM
I've never been to Otakon before but I'd like to hear how Otakon is like. I might like to go there someday since Otakon is the largest con in the East Coast. I'm opened to hear what anyone would like to say about his/her experience at Otakon.

Kamui Motoaki
10-21-2002, 11:41 PM
Its big. . . and a lot of ppl. . . the Cosplay is great. . the dance is Fun. . and you don't have to wait like a million years to get into the Dealers heheh ^_^

I love this con. . .^_~

Celine
10-21-2002, 11:54 PM
Well, I've had miserable experiences both years I have gone, but I don't actually think it is the fault of the con itself. Baltimore is just a really awful city. Be sure to get a nearby hotel, preferably one that's connected by skywalk to the convention center. The weather is miserable. Expect hot, sticky, and some rain. Yuck.

Besides that, the layout of the con is weird, though everything is spaced out pretty well. They had an excellent gaming room this year. There are tons of cosplayers and lots of open areas for cosplayers to mingle and get good photo shoots (such as the several hundred FF cosplayer group).

Since it's in a convention center, everything closes for several hours during the late night/early morning. That's kinda different than some other cons. Who knows, maybe they will change that.

Keurblitz
10-21-2002, 11:54 PM
Otakon is FUN! Especially the dance at night, the video game room, dealer's room and all that fun stuff.

Oh yeah, and *ahem Will goes to Otakon, so you might wanna stalk him ^_^ like all the other die-hard fangirls on the board.

Aya Mizu
10-22-2002, 12:08 AM
:crylaugh: I only went one time in 2001 and despite the chemical floods that threatened to eat everyone, I had a good time! ^_^ I'd go back with friends again if I could afford it. I'd definitely recommend getting THE closest hotels too because ours was still a block away to walk.

Oshi
10-22-2002, 12:19 AM
It's BIG, that's for sure. Easy to lose someone, hard to find someone. Cellphones are a must. o_o;;
But, being the largest on the east coast, they have all the super-cool stuff. Huge ass dealers room, really cool guests... etc.

This is THE one to go to if you're in the eastern US.

Aya Mizu
10-22-2002, 12:21 AM
*nods* Definitely. I was using my cellphone every hour while I was there trying to find friends. I also recommend getting a nation-wide cell plan for that ^^; Roaming charges are scary. :crylaugh:

Gingerbread Man
10-22-2002, 12:58 AM
I only went once and had a miserable time...but that's because of two reasons, The people I went with and the fact that I got there at 8 on saturday evening after sitting through an aggressive drivers course. But I'm willing to give it a second chance if it ever get the time.

khamryn
10-22-2002, 11:46 AM
>"Oh yeah, and *ahem Will goes to Otakon, so you might wanna >stalk him ^_^ like all the other die-hard fangirls on the board."

u.u;;;; please don't stalk Will. ::cough::

Anyway....

My first time at Otakon I had a blast. There are some very good points about the con. ^^ The past two haven't been that great but that was more for personal reasons then anything the con did. :) Definately try and get a close hotel and preferably one connected via skywalk. It makes things easier. ^^

shadow
10-22-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Keurblitz

Oh yeah, and *ahem Will goes to Otakon, so you might wanna stalk him ^_^ like all the other die-hard fangirls on the board.

Poor Will.....
Maybe I should mail him a stun gun for protection hahaha. :p

KuroBara
10-23-2002, 12:19 AM
I've been to the past 2 otakons, and they've been great experiences. The weather does suck, there's no getting around that. It will be humid, and it will ruin all of the work you put into straightening your hair to cosplay as Mirielle Bouquet...(still a little bitter)

Other than that, make sure your shoes are comfy as the convention center is large. There's lots of oppurtunity to take pics of cosplayers, which is my favorite thing to do there.

Mandy Mitchell
10-23-2002, 01:22 AM
Just by reading everyone's responses, I might like to visit Otakon at least once just to see what it's like. AX is the only large anime convention that we have down here in Southern California.

Keurblitz
10-23-2002, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by shadow
Poor Will.....
Maybe I should mail him a stun gun for protection hahaha. :p

He has to service all the fangirls, even if he refuses to ^_^ So using a stun gun is out of the question LoL

shadow
10-23-2002, 10:34 AM
Wow he has to "service" all the fangirls... must be a tough job. hahahahaha :D

katchoo
10-23-2002, 11:41 AM
Do we have a date for the con yet?

thanks,
katchoo ^_^

khamryn
10-23-2002, 11:53 AM
He has to service all the fangirls, even if he refuses to ^_^ So using a stun gun is out of the question LoL

::Raises a brow:: Service? And you know he doesn't have to to anything he doesn't want to. ::Prodprod:: :p Sorry defensive friend feeling popping up.

SailorAndromeda
10-29-2002, 01:59 PM
Hey Mandy!
Well, I've been to the past two Otakons, and plan on going again this year, if they ever decide on their date. When I talked to a staff member here in State College, he said that they were still talking to the convention center about possible weekends and trying to work them out. So no, they really don't know yet.
Anyway, I love Otakon ^^ It's the only con I go to so far, but I love it. It's huge, and yes, the weather does tend to suck. The humidity ruined part of my Zelda costume this past year, but no biggie, i'm fixing it for halloween. Definitely get one of the hotels nearby! Trust me, you don't want to have to walk blocks to get to your hotel in Baltimore. The people, are weird. ("Are you working at the circus?" was literally asked by someone, to my husband O_o) But it really is fun! especially if you enjoy taking pics of cosplayers, and talking to other people. I found a lot of the people to be very nice and friendly, which is always nice ^^
~Liz

shadow
10-29-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by khamryn
::Raises a brow:: Service? And you know he doesn't have to to anything he doesn't want to. ::Prodprod:: :p Sorry defensive friend feeling popping up.

hahahaha
Don't worry I am sure will does not mind either way. (Shadow is referring to funny pictures posted of events)

Hmmmm looks around.... it seems that Will officially has stopped posting on this thread....... I wonder why? =)

Kamui Motoaki
10-29-2002, 04:07 PM
cause i'm too busy Time warping

*continues dancing. . *

with a Hop to the left. . . ^_~

khamryn
10-29-2002, 11:10 PM
>hahahaha
>Don't worry I am sure will does not mind either way. (Shadow is >referring to funny pictures posted of events)

:p

>with a Hop to the left. . . ^_~

o.o you've seen Rocky? ::So did not know that::

MrWonderfulToji
10-30-2002, 01:45 AM
Otakon was my first convention and I had a spectacular time. I really loved it and I can't wait to go back this year! I can actually recognize the people on the boards, just by their avatars and my memories...
SailorAndromeda.. your costumes rocked!!! I got pictures of you and your zelda family and the Space Channel 5 ones.. awesome, and the chibi zelda/ulala was soo cute!
and khamryn, I stayed down the hall from you, the girls of our cosplay group stayed with you.. hope we didn't bug you!!!
anyway, I can barely wait for otakon 03! but on the other hand, these costumes won't make themselves....
sean

Keurblitz
10-30-2002, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by khamryn

LoL don't worry ^_^ I won't personally stalk him, I'm just giving the fans girls some suggestions LoL :D

khamryn
10-30-2002, 11:17 AM
LoL don't worry ^_^ I won't personally stalk him, I'm just giving the fans girls some suggestions LoL :D

u.u;; I meant anyone... cuz.. its really not that fun to be mobbed/stalked. ::cough::

::hackhack.. dies of some weird virus::

SohjiroX
10-30-2002, 12:05 PM
*walks around and sees Kyamryn's body and kicks it a bit looking at it dead.* Hmm, wow, guess I can make her costume than for kingdom hearts and go as that person now, in anycase, I am on my way to this con right after AX03, jet lag here I come! *thumbs up* one problem......dont know how to book a flight and even how to get from the airport to the con.

and one more thing, *sounding like uncle from jacky chan adventures* whats a plane?

Kamui Motoaki
10-30-2002, 12:57 PM
ditto . .
i too will be heading to AX03
then Otakon. . 03 ^_^

SailorAndromeda
10-30-2002, 02:26 PM
Sean- Thanks for the compliments! I really was shocked at the reaction to our costumes, it was nice being recognized for our hard work ^^ Especially since Evila almost didn't make it to Otakon (my mom ran over the skirt a day or two before Otakon..long story)
I can't wait for Otakon '03 *wishes they'd announce dates*
~Liz

khamryn
10-31-2002, 12:41 AM
>*walks around and sees Kyamryn's body and kicks it a bit looking at it dead.* Hmm, wow, guess I can make her costume than for kingdom hearts and go as that person now

You wish. ::Undead look:: :p~

Kellie
10-31-2002, 02:22 PM
^^; Baltimore's not THAT bad. Trust me, I've lived there for 19 years. And I love going to Otakon! Especially because it IS in Baltimore. If you guys wanna know anything about Baltimore though, like...where anything else, just ask. ^^ I can probably answer it. If not, I can call my mom! ^__^;

Kain
11-01-2002, 11:19 AM
I thought Otakon 2002 was fantastic. I live and breathe anime, and nothing beats being surrounded by 12,800 anime otaku in their element.

One of the many perks was that I didn't have to wait in line for anything hehe, bypassed the crowds waiting in line at events and was seated up front. Ahh, fringe benefits. ;)

Baltimore isn't a bad city. I have been there quite a few times myself, and yes the BCC is only a block away from the, uh, "less desirable" part of town, but it's hardly ghetto. If you know where to go, you'll find the city quite enjoyable.

heki-chan
11-01-2002, 07:03 PM
YAY!^_^ It seems a bunch of us will be heading down to Otakon2003 *yey!* ^_^

Never been to an American con before, so itll be exciting^_^

just several questions...bcuz of the stupid CAD to USD exchange rate..everything is SOO pricey *dies*

Around wht kinda hotel pricing are we looking at for Otakon? O_o

GYAH! Itll be hard scraping the cash together for the road trip...we'll be surviving on instant noodles for that week to save monies!! ^_^V

O yeah! and are there any good touristy-things to do in Balitmore? My parents would get pretty pissd if we spent all that cash to just be in the convention all the time^_^ *must do some touristy-type-thing to satisfy them LOL*

thanks!^_^

~heki

SohjiroX
11-03-2002, 02:05 PM
great I have to be Reno still......all well. darn her.

Koumori
11-03-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by heki-chan

O yeah! and are there any good touristy-things to do in Balitmore? My parents would get pretty pissd if we spent all that cash to just be in the convention all the time^_^ *must do some touristy-type-thing to satisfy them LOL*

LOTS. For the most information in one place, you might check out the Baltimore convention and visitors' association (their tourism office) at www.baltimore.org.

Last year hotel rates ran from about $110/night to about $200/night. It definitely isn't the cheapest around.

heki-chan
11-03-2002, 09:51 PM
awesome!^_^ *hugs* thanx a lot!^____^

*is all excited about Otakon 2003 hehehe!*

~heki

PS- what's the otakon masquerade like? are there mics on stage and everything??^_^

SailorAndromeda
11-04-2002, 02:07 PM
Yes, there are mics, to pick up your voice. I believe last year they were the kind that hang from the ceiling. The Baltimore Aquarium is pretty close by the convention center, so that's something touristy you can do, if you want ^^
~*Liz*

Radical Urd
11-04-2002, 03:02 PM
Otakon is the best. I love the size, the people, the dealers room,the masquerade. All of it. My favorite past experiences are when we (my anime club) walking down from the hotel dressed as our TRIGUN costumes and this guy shouted, "Hallenuya (I can't spell that, sowwy), Praise Jesus!" when he saw Wolfwood's cross. Also when we went to McDonald's and this guy across the street yelled at me and asked if i was his guardian angel, when I was dressed as Dotta. Personally I love the attention if you don't want the attention don't dress up. If the attention isn't harrassing and you can smile about it in the end i don't see the harm. And you know whats fun? Waving the the people in cars as you cross the street. ;)

Chux
11-25-2002, 03:31 AM
Otakon is great, I've been going since 2000, only cosplayed for the last 2 though. 01 I was Locke from FF6, and 02 I was Ness from Earthbound/Smash Bros. You will get looks, and people might ask silly questions but the Inner Harbor is a pretty safe place, well it's better than most places in Baltimore. The Aquarium is within walking distance, as well as a Hard Rock Cafe. I've lived in annapolis all my life, and think Baltimore is just fine :)

Recca-kun
11-25-2002, 03:23 PM
To reiterate everyone else the place is huge with the best dealer's room and game room I've ever seen (even if I didn't spend much time in either last year). You can find a lot of people to talk with and chances are if you do an obscure series some people may actually recognize it (two people recognized Trouble Chocolate last year several months before it was out, lol). However this also works the opposite way in that if you know people call them on cell phones or else you probably won't find them. ^^;

If you want the closest hotels/best rates then keep an eye on the Days Inn and Holiday Inn; we waited too long on our room and payed $179 at the Marriot. I spent more money on my share of the room than everything else combined save costuming. ;)

And yeah, my opinion of Baltimore isn't that swift so there are places to go during the day but please walk with a group at night. ;)

Doc Stampede
11-25-2002, 06:35 PM
Whee Otakon Discussion! (I am such an Otakon drone...)

A couple of things that caught my eye in the brief glance I just did here..

1. Otakon's VERY VERY Close to announcing their 2003 dates.. I will post something here on Cosplay.com - but keep your eyes focused on Otakon.com for the real scoop.

2. The weather's tricky. :( Weather manipulation equipment is in the budget but probably won't be passed. ;)

3. Comfy Shoes. Otakon is over 28 acres of anime con. Comfy shoes a must.

:)

If anyone has specific questions, throw em up and I'll try to answer.

Doc (Otakon Staff)

Daala
11-25-2002, 08:16 PM
Otakon is life , at least for this poor gov't office worker's summer plans...LOL! I've been going from 99 and I just started cosplaying the last 2 years.

Baltimore has to be the coolest place to have a con ( only 30mins from my house). I can't wait for 03' Otakon. ^_^

Chux
11-27-2002, 12:21 AM
Yeah, that's why I like it too Daala. I'm right by the Bay Bridge and it's just a hop skip and a jump away. I really get a kick out of Otakon though, because all of my high school friends come back from Texas, Florida, and wherever else we might have been scattered across the nation and have a great 2 weeks of fun!