PDA

View Full Version : Earth Hour! Tell us About It!

melfina89
03-26-2011, 10:40 PM
I hope everyone has/is/will have a fun Earth Hour tonight!! I just finished mine. Quiet and simple and very dark. Sadly no stargazing though because it's snowing!

Here is a place where I hope to hear about anyone who had a fun Earth hour and what you did for it!

Oh and if anyone lives in any of the cities that turn off all their lights, it would be sooo cool to see any pictures anyone might have took.

If you don't know what Earth hour is, it is one hour of time where people all over the world turn off their lights. It happens from 8:30 - 9:30 pm in your time zone. If you haven't participated yet, I hope you will!

Yui
03-26-2011, 10:45 PM
I could *almost* see a few stars tonight, unlike normally, so a few people around here must have been cooperating at least. Wasn't dark enough for me, but can't do much about the huge hospital/helipad lights. >XP

Lithium Flower
03-26-2011, 10:53 PM
I missed Earth hour because I was drawing on my tablet.

/sorry earth/

Kildread
03-26-2011, 10:54 PM
I was rambling for the last 1~2 hours in my living room with a friend who dropped by.

I never noticed.

Angathol
03-26-2011, 11:14 PM
I totally forgot to go outside. I just turned off all the lights and unplugged my laptop, then continued watching a movie on it, lol. Is that cheating?

ShinobiXikyu
03-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Oh yeah, that thing. Yeah, I forgot completely and can't say I care.

penny_dreadful
03-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Oh, was it Earth Hour? Whoops. Do they even do that in the suburbs?

nannyogg
03-26-2011, 11:43 PM
I forgot to do earth hour this year. :(

I live in a rural area, so if I get just a few miles from town, I can see the stars with amazing clarity. It never fails to take my breath away.

melfina89
03-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Oh yeah, that thing. Yeah, I forgot completely and can't say I care.

Then I can't quite understand why you would even enter this forum...

Glad to see at least someone remembered and actually cares! So far the number of cities is amazing.

ShinobiXikyu
03-27-2011, 12:14 AM
I just find it pretty ridiculous to just spend one hour in the dark to apparently show how much you adore the earth and environment. I lived practically off the grid with the nearest house a kilometer away until I was ten. I've done enough power outages for my lifetime. And environmentalism being subjected to being the "in thing" and massively trendy as of late just sickens me, for the most part.

melfina89
03-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Well lots of people seem to think it is important, so that's who this thread is for and what it is about, so let's keep it on topic please.

Chipface
03-27-2011, 03:54 AM
It's nothing but greenwashing. Turning your power off for an hour won't do shit. Finding alternatives to fossil fuels and bringing down the costs of solar power will. Besides, most people will light candles instead which are petroleum based anyways, therefore causing more pollution.

IAmShorty
03-27-2011, 04:05 AM
It's nothing but greenwashing. Turning your power off for an hour won't do shit. Finding alternatives to fossil fuels and bringing down the costs of solar power will. Besides, most people will light candles instead which are petroleum based anyways, therefore causing more pollution.

Hear hear!

But yeah, I forgot anyways. And I spent too much time in black outs the last two years (Our house was on a horrible grid and we had pointless wars with electric companies) So I think Im good for the next 39 Earth Hours.

Yui
03-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Guys. It's just a symbol. It's meant as a reminder and a meditation for people to simply be more conscious everyday, a testament that individuals -can- choose to make a personal difference without sitting around passively waiting for someone else to solve the big issue. Walkathons don't cure diseases and cosplaying doesn't cure tsunamis…er, well, you get the idea. These actions are just small tokens one person can do to get into the right mindset and advertise their cause.

So, as was requested by the OP, if you *didn't* do anything for the Hour &/or don't observe it, please don't feel the need to post here. You can start your own topic for disliking small outward displays of interactive social reform instead if you need to.

Ematheo
03-27-2011, 02:52 PM
I was working during earth hour and I'm pretty aware of the environment so I nagged my co-worker that we should turn the lights off! He didn't really want to but finally I got to turn off all of the lights in the building. (well those I could access at least) Except the ones in the restaurant because he thougtht it would bug the customers.

I found a funny video of promoting earth hour. It's a year old but still funny, and kinda fits to cosplay. xD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgm3uTiLL4o

Also these are pictures I found at my countrys official WWF website.
Before and during the event in Beijing. (China world trade center)

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/8463/earthhour.png

Michi
03-27-2011, 08:21 PM
I forgot about it, but we were out of the house during that time anyway! We were at Borders and then at a Chinese restaurant... Haha.

rubyspitfire
03-27-2011, 08:26 PM
my roomie just made a valid point. if everyone cut their power consumption and the power company wasn't expecting it, one of the generators could overload and explode. that would be a green fail all around

i'll probably still turn my lights off and get around on battery power and candle light for a bit

Arc_The_Lad
03-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Guys. It's just a symbol. It's meant as a reminder and a meditation for people to simply be more conscious everyday, a testament that individuals -can- choose to make a personal difference without sitting around passively waiting for someone else to solve the big issue. Walkathons don't cure diseases and cosplaying doesn't cure tsunamis…er, well, you get the idea. These actions are just small tokens one person can do to get into the right mindset and advertise their cause.

So, as was requested by the OP, if you *didn't* do anything for the Hour &/or don't observe it, please don't feel the need to post here. You can start your own topic for disliking small outward displays of interactive social reform instead if you need to.

I find that is the problem with a lot of "help" events, there are a lot of symbols and we just get so sick of them a lot of people don't do anything anyways because they feel swamped. So we do these little things a feel better about ourselves and we didn't have to take precious time out of our day. A good example is the big breast cancer month or week or whatever it is. They put the pink ribbon everywhere and on lots of products stating when you buy it they will donate to breast cancer research. A lot of people will buy said products and get a sense of accomplishment, but when it comes down to it if you want to find a cure, don't get ribbons, don't buy health foods, just straight up donate, or hell, become a scientist.

Earth Hour helped a bit, but honestly, you would be better off to just go out and volunteer. Whatever, I guess a little bit of help is better than none.

Kildread
03-28-2011, 12:37 AM
I found a funny video of promoting earth hour. It's a year old but still funny, and kinda fits to cosplay. xD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgm3uTiLL4o

This is amusing. I like.

DireKitty
03-28-2011, 12:49 PM
I was worried everyone in Ontario would get into it, and then we would once again have to pay to send our hydro to other areas. Luckily power didn't drop that much.

... we produce too much power here. It's also expensive because our gov got all excited about wind turbines and bullied people into getting them dotted all over the place. No one likes them.

.... why couldn't they just get into solar ffs....