PDA

View Full Version : Did Hot Topic Change?

ZombehPanda
03-27-2011, 09:23 AM
I was looking up Hot Topic possibly for my Misa cosplay and also to see if they had anything I wanted and I got this

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Homepage.jsp

Wut in the world happend to them?!?! They were my favorite growing up! The closest HT was farther away so I rarely got to go but when I did it was special to me. I looooooved their style. Black/Plad/Anime/Internet. But now they have prep and ancient style! :blubber: why??????

Someone please tell me they changed their name! :( I wanted to find some clothes I had been planning to buy for myself and they aren't there!!!

Gypsyangelf4i
03-27-2011, 09:43 AM
No, unfortunately that's them. They've become less grungy/goth and more mainstream. Huge bummer. I was in a store a couple months ago and, like you, I was shocked.

ZombehPanda
03-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Wow....that truly sucks. Do you know if there is any other store like them out there? D: Well, who they used to be, that is.

fujyoshi
03-27-2011, 09:50 AM
that is pretty tragic I barely go there anymore now either.

Nathus Dorkus
03-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Wow.

Back in my day, they didn't accept any UK forms of payment other than credit cards, let alone have a UK store.

Lithium Flower
03-27-2011, 10:12 AM
I recall in High School that HT was heavily into music gear and the like. But I didn't really wear much of it to begin with, it was always a bit too slutty for me. Though I still go there for movie and comic shirts.

You can still get clothing that HT used to sell by going to the brands themselves you liked. Like Lip Service (http://www.lip-service.com/lipservice.php) I do know the brand Tripp doesn't really sell its clothing online and seems to not have any individual stores but you could still probably find something on ebay from them.

You can also try finding a reliable online store for your more goth-y styles.

nannyogg
03-27-2011, 10:28 AM
OMG, they have gone over to the fluorescent side. I am frightened. Ah well, maybe it will bring back out the DIY spirit in those who liked the old flavor, and room for independent folks to fill that gap in the market.

sam vimes
03-27-2011, 10:51 AM
You know what you have to do. (http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/210827/burning-down-hot-topic)

Fabulousity
03-27-2011, 10:55 AM
O.O this is a sad, sad day in Fabulousity land.....

Flora88
03-27-2011, 12:20 PM
The Internet and Pop Culture happened to Hot Topic.

Also, HT is owned by the same company that owns Abercrombie and Fitch. What did you expect?

And, really, I can't stand Hot Topic.

Mesoian
03-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Meh, HT has always always always been about adapting to changing trends. When I was a kid, it was the place you could get stand alone corsets and chinko jeans. That place is the very definition of keeping 12 year olds supplied in whatever fad is currently hype.

In 6 months, it will change yet again.

Yui
03-27-2011, 02:42 PM
The contents of each individual HT are completely determined by the manager of that store - thus that is why you get such a non-consistent stock: some are more classically equipped with music gear, some look like a dealers' room exploded in them, and some are barely indistinguishable from any other store in the mall. The online shop barely has a fraction of what might potentially be included at any one site, for some reason.

But Hot Topic is always changing. When I was a kid, it was a wonderfully scary place that only included thrashy black studded 80's metal gear, plus that strange wall of gothic ren faire dresses. Then they started throwing in bright raver stuff instead. And then we got anime junk. And then we got gamer junk…which was admittedly kinda cool. And then we started getting cool 80's cartoons stuff (cuz it was finally "retro" enough) and etc…

I was worried a few years ago when the stores were under orders from the higher-ups to "turn up their lights" and mix more regular music into the normal playlist - I thought that I wouldn't be able to get any more additions to my normal wardrobe (cuz where else was I going to find size 0 baggy pants with obscene amounts of hardware?) but luckily, a few staples remain there such as the Tripp brand. Even still, some products have completely left the retail stores - like Demonia platform boots (which were too heavy, took up too much space, and had to be stocked in multiple sizes for the stores to mess with anymore) - so you do have to shop elsewhere for those. But because of the necessity, I've found that everything that used to be more readily available at HT is still out there - whether it be in independent downtown shops or online.

Cadmium Polyphony
03-27-2011, 04:19 PM
I thought HT always kinda sucked. The only redeeming quality they had was all the band shirts, but getting a band shirt outside of the band's concert is like buying army ribbons without being in the military.

YukinaKipling
03-27-2011, 04:22 PM

fujyoshi
03-27-2011, 04:31 PM
You can still get clothing that HT used to sell by going to the brands themselves you liked. Like Lip Service (http://www.lip-service.com/lipservice.php) I do know the brand Tripp doesn't really sell its clothing online and seems to not have any individual stores but you could still probably find something on ebay from them.

You can also try finding a reliable online store for your more goth-y styles.

Now that you bring it up I haven't seen many tripp stuff on the site these days :o I got a few pairs 'a tripp pants from them on clearance of course because I'm cheap :D I got a voltron shirt from there as well and a few pairs 'a arm warmers but these days I go there alot less.

TBut Hot Topic is always changing. When I was a kid, it was a wonderfully scary place that only included thrashy black studded 80's metal gear, plus that strange wall of gothic ren faire dresses. Then they started throwing in bright raver stuff instead. And then we got anime junk. And then we got gamer junk…which was admittedly kinda cool. And then we started getting cool 80's cartoons stuff (cuz it was finally "retro" enough) and etc…

I first FIRST went there when I was younger because one 'a my friends told me there was anime stuff there but at the time my mom didn't let me go because she thought there was demonic stuff in there <,<

Also, HT is owned by the same company that owns Abercrombie and Fitch. What did you expect?

the funniest part about that is that if I walk into A&F in my everyday attire they look at me like I'm not welcomed ...

marshmallowpie
03-27-2011, 04:33 PM
I hate all the hate they seem to get for "changing" or whatever... I live in Canada, and I don't think there are any here, but the few times I've been in them, they seem fairly awesome. :\ I went to one when I was on holiday last month and bought a nice pair of earmuffs. (rabbits! :'))

But, if they have made drastic changes, I would assume they're only doing what they need to do to "keep with the times" or whatever and to stay in business.

ZombehPanda
03-27-2011, 06:31 PM
I live in the south and there is absolutely no gothic stores here at all so what little HT had is why I liked them. I have no problems with mainstream clothing but I liked having at least one place I could go to if I wanted to explore my 'darker' side. Keeping in mind when I was growing up I didn't have the ability to just buy stuff online...

Angathol
03-27-2011, 06:59 PM
I live in Canada, and I don't think there are any here

There are three; they're all in Ontario. There's one in Burlington, one in Mississauga and one in Scarborough.

I've been to the one in 'Sauga. It kind of looked like pop culture/goth vomit. I would've loved the place if I'd gone there somewhere between the ages of 12 and 15, but nothing there really appeals to me at this age. They even have Bieber shirts...

UsakoLuna
03-27-2011, 07:26 PM
I bought my first 4 volumes of Sailor Moon manga at HT when I was in middle school. Ahh memories

Miyabi-
03-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Sadly Hot Topic is a business and they want to make money. Making money means selling/carrying what's popular with their demographic at the moment and sadly it seems neon is in. I went through neon once and I really had hoped it wouldn't return..lol

The Internet and Pop Culture happened to Hot Topic.

And, really, I can't stand Hot Topic.

Nope, Hot Topic isn't owned by the Abercrombie and Fitch company OR the Gap..they're their own publicly traded company (NASDAQ Ticker Symbol: HOTT). Hot Topic does own Torrid and Shock Hound though.

Abercrombie, Hollister and RUEHL 925 are affiliated though!

tabetha2010
03-27-2011, 08:56 PM
While I'm not one to complain about things becoming mainstream, It is a bit disheartening to see people who swore they would never step foot in that "devil store", Suddenly become the # 1 customer over night :/.

fujyoshi
03-27-2011, 09:01 PM
I live in the south and there is absolutely no gothic stores here at all so what little HT had is why I liked them. I have no problems with mainstream clothing but I liked having at least one place I could go to if I wanted to explore my 'darker' side. Keeping in mind when I was growing up I didn't have the ability to just buy stuff online...

This is why the south is gonna suck when I have to move there -_- Anyway if your in GA anime remix has become like a second rate hot topic even though they're prices are kinda jacked up.

While I'm not one to complain about things becoming mainstream, It is a bit disheartening to see people who swore they would never step foot in that "devil store", Suddenly become the # 1 customer over night :/.

well if they were cases like mine formerly was then they probably had parents that called it a "devil store".

rubyspitfire
03-27-2011, 09:44 PM
i liked HT about 10 years ago... not so much now :(

ZombehPanda
03-27-2011, 11:10 PM
This is why the south is gonna suck when I have to move there -_- Anyway if your in GA anime remix has become like a second rate hot topic even though they're prices are kinda jacked up.

Haha don't hate on the south to quick now. :P We mite not have the coolest places for gothic and anime stuff but still the people are nice. :) I really hope you enjoy it in the south. ^_^

I don't live in GA but I travel there pretty often so I'll see if I can look around. Guess they don't have a website eh?

LOLz at HT being considered a devil's store...I always thought that was Spencers. o.O that was the one store I was forbid to go into when I was a kid at least. lol

Psycho_Kitty
03-27-2011, 11:17 PM
I loved Hot Topic when they actually had the goth stuff, but now its all neon colors and trendy things. The one near my house use to have black walls and be all dark but now its all bright in there. I still remember when they sold Tripp chain pants but now the only way I can get them is online, but even that I decided to stop spending money there.

Flora88
03-27-2011, 11:36 PM
About Gothic stores in the South.

Um...there are Gothic stores all over the place in Texas.
...Move to Texas, if it's that important?

toshirua3846384
03-27-2011, 11:38 PM
I was looking up Hot Topic possibly for my Misa cosplay and also to see if they had anything I wanted and I got this

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Homepage.jsp

Wut in the world happend to them?!?! They were my favorite growing up! The closest HT was farther away so I rarely got to go but when I did it was special to me. I looooooved their style. Black/Plad/Anime/Internet. But now they have prep and ancient style! :blubber: why??????

Someone please tell me they changed their name! :( I wanted to find some clothes I had been planning to buy for myself and they aren't there!!!

I guess they did change in a way but that would depend on where your at and how well the store is doing. The one over here changed because frankly they weren't doing so well. Their stuff was always over priced, their gear or merchandise was all over the place with sizes completely mixed up and they got more "looky loos" than actual buyers; not to mention a lot of the time people just ran in and out because it was a "weird" type of store and if you were to put one foot in there and not get ill it was some sort of triumphant achievement to the immature people.

But im actually glad they changed it up a bit. The one here put more "gamer" gear in the store and tried to not be so selective with their clientele . They also remodeled the store and put more lights in so that the people behind the counter won't necessarily give you the evil eye. It may not be "punk" but im not complaining to say the least. I can't say that for some people though.

toshirua3846384
03-27-2011, 11:50 PM
I loved Hot Topic when they actually had the goth stuff, but now its all neon colors and trendy things. The one near my house use to have black walls and be all dark but now its all bright in there. I still remember when they sold Tripp chain pants but now the only way I can get them is online, but even that I decided to stop spending money there.

If i may; theres nothing wrong with trendy things, even goth wear and tripp pants are both trendy things because they are still in demand and they are part of fashion. ( though their not as trendy as say new york and company) But they're still a trendy *must have * among people who frequently buy there.

I dunno why they stop selling tripp pants at stores. They stopped selling tripp pants at my local hottopic about two years ago. Now its just skirts with spiderweb lace and chains.

fujyoshi
03-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Haha don't hate on the south to quick now. :P We mite not have the coolest places for gothic and anime stuff but still the people are nice. :) I really hope you enjoy it in the south. ^_^

I don't live in GA but I travel there pretty often so I'll see if I can look around. Guess they don't have a website eh?

LOLz at HT being considered a devil's store...I always thought that was Spencers. o.O that was the one store I was forbid to go into when I was a kid at least. lol

/heh the website died as of recently I guess xD http://www.anime-remix.com/ yea its dead o-o but yea thats where having an uber religious set of parents land you in most cases. The funny part was that way back when, a friend told me to check it out after saying there was anime goods in there and I guess a whiff 'a that music and the atmosphere then got them on my case about anime for a good while.

DireKitty
03-28-2011, 09:33 AM
There are three; they're all in Ontario. There's one in Burlington, one in Mississauga and one in Scarborough.

I've been to the one in 'Sauga. It kind of looked like pop culture/goth vomit. I would've loved the place if I'd gone there somewhere between the ages of 12 and 15, but nothing there really appeals to me at this age. They even have Bieber shirts...

The one in Burlington looked like it was a gag gift store. =/

Just a bunch of random crap and some t-shirts.

Rinoa07
03-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Hot Topic started being trendy ages ago. I can't believe people are only just starting to notice. It lost the grunge/goth/punk vibe about 10 years ago and started to cater to a much more poppy clientele. The day I really knew it was dead was the day I saw Hello Kitty stuff in the window.

About three years ago they used to at least carry some really nifty looking t-shirts, but not so much now. It's all Jack Sparrow, Pokemon, and *shudder* Justin Beiber. There's one store not too far from where I live that doesn't have any of the old decor or feel. All windows and bright lights, with a giant television screen playing bad poppy music. My puddin' and I call it "girl topic" since it seems like a girly teeny-bopper store now.

What was great about Hot Topic is that they catered to that specific base of consumers, but it's just as well. It was poser anyways. And proper self respecting punk/goth/grunge type person will either do indy stores or make the stuff themselves, as Hot Topic completely goes against what it was originally supposed to be. The irony of it all, really.

Sakura Blizzard
03-28-2011, 01:03 PM
They changed. Now I get to hear my friends complain about it. Most of my friends I guess loved to go there now they go shopping elsewhere online. They are changing the one in my mall. I'm a little afraid that it won't look like the HT I knew.

CountMetal
03-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Hot Topic use to rock back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I use to empty my wallet getting Gothic jewelry, clothes, and some band shirts. When shopping there today, I rarely buy stuff there unless I see a video game or anime shirt that caught my interest. The last thing I bought there was a Marvel vs. Capcom 3 hoodie.

Kelley
03-29-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm only 21, but I don't really notice a difference.

When I was a kid, they had a lot of overpriced mass-produced stuff of so-so quality - the redeeming factor being that it was of a slightly different aesthetic than everyone else's stuff.

I used to be okay with them - good place to get fishnet gloves last minute and band shirts before the dawn of shopping on the innertubes. However, they've started blatantly stealing crap from the internet and for this reason I don't plan on doing business with them again.

And I don't mean just cashing in on memes - they've blatantly ripped art. If you have an ethical bone in your body and respect artists' right to not have their work ripped, don't support this store. :/

ShinobiXikyu
03-29-2011, 12:38 AM
. It was poser anyways. And proper self respecting punk/goth/grunge type person will either do indy stores or make the stuff themselves, as Hot Topic completely goes against what it was originally supposed to be. The irony of it all, really.

This, QFT. Also half the reason I quit wearing virtually all my goth wear in the first place (all of which I'd made myself or bought from a small independent shop in my city that was never light on the patchouli incense and had a store dog that was a rottweiler-dachshund cross, since there was mercifully no hot topic and I was a broke teenager who had to save her money). If you're trying to make a statement, it won't work when all of a sudden the bleach-blonde poppy girls in your class are sporting too much eye makeup and black fishnets because "It's liek, totally kewl to be goth now!1!". Ugh. Sickening.

SabienStrange
03-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Hot Topic stopped being Hot Topic forever ago.
I remember being really pissed about them " brightening " up the store and changing around the aesthetic, and then I just stopped caring.
I think the only reason I'm ever in there now is because they periodically sell stuff I liked, like True Blood [ I snagged a delicious looking Eric Northman T. ohmanthatwasagreatday. ]

The only stores I can think of now that are remotely Hot Topic - ey is Shrine in Hollywood, and the Electric Chair.
I've personally shopped at Shrine and they have some pretty awesome stuff.
They are pricey, but you get what you pay for. If I wouldn't feel weird dressing like that now, I'd buy from them again.

Rinoa07
03-29-2011, 03:28 AM
This, QFT. Also half the reason I quit wearing virtually all my goth wear in the first place (all of which I'd made myself or bought from a small independent shop in my city that was never light on the patchouli incense and had a store dog that was a rottweiler-dachshund cross, since there was mercifully no hot topic and I was a broke teenager who had to save her money). If you're trying to make a statement, it won't work when all of a sudden the bleach-blonde poppy girls in your class are sporting too much eye makeup and black fishnets because "It's liek, totally kewl to be goth now!1!". Ugh. Sickening.
Also, the unspoken irony of trying to be an individual in such a blatantly conformist subculture. I've always been partial to the punky look myself, but I've never classified myself as anything. But I get what you mean, the goth look suddenly being fashionable struck me as annoyingly stupid.

Tigress
03-29-2011, 05:40 AM
Hot Topic's merchandise has always struck me as really overpriced crap. Most of my "goth" clothes have come from, no joke, Belk's and JC Penny's clearance racks. It was either nice black gothy clothes that either didn't sell or had ONE button missing and just needed some minor TLC.

In fact, the 3/4-length black linen jacket that every chick at work wants to steal from me came from Belk's. :D

I either wait for sales at mid- to upper-level department stores, go to consignment and outlet shops, shop on eBay or make my kewl stuff.

Lithium Flower
03-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Gunna leave this here. (http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/154316/goth-stan)

Volnixshin
03-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Hot Topic has become Cold Idea. I asked one store why they didn't sell Tripp Pants. Their answer and I quote them completely

"What, do you want us to go out of business?"

Went to another, and they had worked their for years, but are still holding onto the Golden Years. They sold Tripp in the online store. It's tragic. The whole change is just... just wrong to me

And I say this not because they don't sell Grunge/goth/awesome stuff anymore.

I say this, because to me, the store wasn't a place I could find things, that I could find anywhere else. I can't even find a good Punisher shirt there. It's just a store that sells Bieber, twilight, and commercial crap now.

Arc_The_Lad
03-29-2011, 11:18 AM
I apparently have a shirt from Hot Topic, that "Don't mess with me or I'll go Zelda on you" shirt. I dunno, my girlfriend at the time gave it to me.

Skeff
03-29-2011, 11:39 AM
The only hot topic I had near me growing up was about 2 hours away, so I never really got to go there much. But, in some of my metal edge magazines, I came across a company called the Gesner Legion. I ordered stuff from them all the time, blew my entire part time paycheck at some points.

I looked them up, they are still around, and they have generally the same merchandise, man this brings back memories, hell I may order some stuff this weekend.

http://www.imosh.com/

They still have a lot of the old school metal and gothic jewelry and clothing listed on their site. Its not as much as their old catalog, but awesome none the less :)

fujyoshi
03-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Also, the unspoken irony of trying to be an individual in such a blatantly conformist subculture. I've always been partial to the punky look myself, but I've never classified myself as anything. But I get what you mean, the goth look suddenly being fashionable struck me as annoyingly stupid.

wow I don't even keep up wit trends and just where pants and an anime t shirt <,< I also never really considered myself as anything either.

Hot Topic has become Cold Idea. I asked one store why they didn't sell Tripp Pants. Their answer and I quote them completely

"What, do you want us to go out of business?"

wow and mine sugar coated it and said they don't have high demand for them and that me and one other guy asked for them -_-

As for seeing justin bieber stuff in there one time one 'a my freinds went in there and justin bieber's song was playing and they walked out o_o The day I walk in on that will be the day I cut ties wit hot topic xD

Flora88
03-29-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm only 21, but I don't really notice a difference.

When I was a kid, they had a lot of overpriced mass-produced stuff of so-so quality - the redeeming factor being that it was of a slightly different aesthetic than everyone else's stuff.

I used to be okay with them - good place to get fishnet gloves last minute and band shirts before the dawn of shopping on the innertubes. However, they've started blatantly stealing crap from the internet and for this reason I don't plan on doing business with them again.

And I don't mean just cashing in on memes - they've blatantly ripped art. If you have an ethical bone in your body and respect artists' right to not have their work ripped, don't support this store. :/

Details, please!

Rinoa07
03-29-2011, 12:28 PM
wow I don't even keep up wit trends and just where pants and an anime t shirt <,< I also never really considered myself as anything either.
I don't follow trends either. Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable we must alter it every six months. Rather, I just happen to notice certain fads coming in and going out. I like people watching. How very French of me.

Skeff
03-29-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't follow trends either. Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable we must alter it every six months.

I hear you on this as well. I've been generally wearing the same style of clothes since the mid 90s, I haven't changed much of it. Torn jeans and a t-shirt is what I wear on most days lol.

fujyoshi
03-29-2011, 05:25 PM
I don't follow trends either. Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable we must alter it every six months. Rather, I just happen to notice certain fads coming in and going out. I like people watching. How very French of me.

The only door to fashion I ever get is my mom trying to push that on me. She wishes I dressed more feminine and didn't look like a boy half the time. My brother doesn't make things any better either by agreeing wit her and my dad is just indifferent. Honestly in my opinion its too much trouble, from what I see stuff that was in the past is fashionable again or something o_O? You might as well wear what you want and make life easier instead 'a trying to be like everyone else.

ZombehPanda
03-29-2011, 07:21 PM
I don't avoid any style if I like it. It really doesn't matter to me if it's trendy currently or not. I like what I like. I never classify myself as anything because I'm not anything. I wear whatever I want to wear at the time I decide to wear it.

I understand why people get upset if they feel like their fashion culture is being degraded. That's why I don't take offense to anyone who says they hated HT from back when I loved it. At the time I first went to HT it was one of a kind and I have always had an inner love with that type of style. Granted, I didn't feel I could acceptably wear any of it 75% of the time but I got some of it anyway.

I don't really have a style and if you opened my closet you wouldn't know what to think of me based off the very wide variety of clothing inside. I honestly have nothing against the current clothing HT sells. I'm only disappointed because it was the only store I could think to go to when I was younger to get anime/punk/goth related gear. I also accept that while I think Twilight and Bieber are certainly not my cup of tea, it's someones and I can't hate on opinion.

<< btw, I'm so shocked this thread is getting so much attention O_O; >>

Kelley
03-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Oscar Wilde was an artist, you can't take anything he said seriously.

Lithium Flower
03-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Details, please!

I believe they ripped off some dA artists and stuck the drawings on some tee shirts.

DarkFujin
03-30-2011, 01:59 AM
They're called "Hot Topic" because their merchandise follows the current hot trends. It's all in their name - of course they're mainstream, they've ALWAYS been mainstream, and of course they're going to change what they sell to follow the trends.

Cadmium Polyphony
03-30-2011, 02:26 AM
Oscar Wilde was an artist, you can't take anything he said seriously.

Or is it, you must take everything he said seriously?

Kelley
03-30-2011, 02:45 AM
I hope not, he's much too important to be taken seriously.

On the subject of Hot Topic being a bag of dicks (or at least working with companies that are, which I take as being the same thing since they don't seem to care) - here's one : http://consumerist.com/2008/09/hot-topic-likes-your-art-so-much-theyre-selling-it.html (there are more). And the whole "Rage Guy" meme tee-shirt debacle. Trying to profit off a ripped meme is the low that finally put me off them for good.

Rinoa07
03-30-2011, 03:06 AM
I hear you on this as well. I've been generally wearing the same style of clothes since the mid 90s, I haven't changed much of it. Torn jeans and a t-shirt is what I wear on most days lol.
A pair of jeans and a t-shirt with smartass slogan on it for me. Oh, and my pair of trusty boots.

The only door to fashion I ever get is my mom trying to push that on me. She wishes I dressed more feminine and didn't look like a boy half the time. My brother doesn't make things any better either by agreeing wit her and my dad is just indifferent. Honestly in my opinion its too much trouble, from what I see stuff that was in the past is fashionable again or something o_O? You might as well wear what you want and make life easier instead 'a trying to be like everyone else.
Everything repeats: history, fashion, the weather. Be comfortable in your clothes (high heels though goddamned sexy are not comfortable), just don't look unkept, you know? And I understand about your parentals, everyone is always trying to get me to wear colour, and I don't know why.

I hope not, he's much too important to be taken seriously.
Exactly.

kuroki-neko
03-30-2011, 06:24 PM
i have never been to hot topic until just recently and i remeber hearing that they had naurto stuff..i went there and yea,, i was looking to get the cut leaf headband for my itachi cosplay but i also wanted to get a fishnet shirt too for the same cosplay

Formalhaut
03-30-2011, 11:10 PM
What people who complain about this fail to realize is that if hot topic ( a clothing store that sells to a certain demographic) had NOT changed...they'd have gone out of business YEARS ago. Hot topic sells what is essentialy a fashion. And fashion changes. Its just how the cookie crumbles. To keep up wit the changing demands of fashion, the had to switch up their merchandise, or turn into one of those stores that doesn't exist anymore because they ran out of business. Don't like it? Fine. Don't shop there. But remember, the reason they changed is because people jut like us said "we don't like it" so they did what any smart company would do. They adapted.

Ineedaname9
03-31-2011, 02:27 AM
I use to buy a lot of clothes from Hot Topics Tripp pants, band shirts, walets, etc... I walked into it last week and walked straight out of it. Man it has changed a lot. I understand it had to change to attract more customers but it lost a lot of old customers. I think the last thing I bought from them was a small little hair extention for 10 bucks for my prom two years ago.

The only thing that caught my attention was cheeseburger earmuffs...America cosplay anyone? lol

Kesra
03-31-2011, 03:31 AM
Hot Topic HAS always and WILL always be trendy. Even the 'goth' stuff they have/had is just mass produced for people without the time/drive/creativity or passion to make their own stuff at the risk of looking like everyone else that shops there. Trends change. So do trendy stores. Hot Topic will always be a trendy store.

Not that I hold that against it. I got these knee high sneakers there once I -adored- until the zipper broke. Damnable flimsy thing!

DarkFujin
03-31-2011, 10:49 AM
What people who complain about this fail to realize is that if hot topic ( a clothing store that sells to a certain demographic) had NOT changed...they'd have gone out of business YEARS ago. Hot topic sells what is essentialy a fashion. And fashion changes. Its just how the cookie crumbles. To keep up wit the changing demands of fashion, the had to switch up their merchandise, or turn into one of those stores that doesn't exist anymore because they ran out of business. Don't like it? Fine. Don't shop there. But remember, the reason they changed is because people jut like us said "we don't like it" so they did what any smart company would do. They adapted.

Thank you.

Seriously, you never see anyone saying "my, The Gap sure looks different than it did a decade ago!" It's kind of silly to complain about a mainstream mall clothing store selling different merchandise over the years.

fujyoshi
03-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Everything repeats: history, fashion, the weather. Be comfortable in your clothes (high heels though goddamned sexy are not comfortable), just don't look unkept, you know? And I understand about your parentals, everyone is always trying to get me to wear colour, and I don't know why.

the only time I wear anything wit a heal is if I'm cosplaying xD

I use to buy a lot of clothes from Hot Topics Tripp pants, band shirts, walets, etc... I walked into it last week and walked straight out of it. Man it has changed a lot. I understand it had to change to attract more customers but it lost a lot of old customers. I think the last thing I bought from them was a small little hair extention for 10 bucks for my prom two years ago.

the last few things I perchased from there were for cosplay including 2 wigs, hair dye(for one 'a the wigs) and boots that I ended up spray painting xD

ViolinRose
04-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Most of the people in my town seem to agree that HT has changed for the worse... ours actually went out of business.

fujyoshi
04-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Most of the people in my town seem to agree that HT has changed for the worse... ours actually went out of business.

Gee and the last I heard from mine is that it was going under renovations o_o I hope I don't come back and there's hot pink wallpaper -_=

hollowchrist
04-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Bahh, I noticed this too. I was thinking about getting a big pair of Tripp pants complete with Hardware and can't find a girl's pair to save my life. Luckily my Hot Topic's still have the men's pants, I'm just waiting for them to hit Clearance to buy a pair or two. I used to dress the full Hot Topic goth garb back in junior high and I kind of miss it sometimes. Was planning on getting an outfit that I woulda wore back in the day for old times sake. e.e

But they have changed, pop music has been integrated into everything when a few years back you could only get rock and some hardcore hip hop garb. Anymore you've got Cradle of Filth sitting next to Justin Beiber. Hopefully scaring him. e.e;

But they do still have some cute stuff. The two near me have a bunch of scene things, and some of it's really cute. All low quality and overpriced, but cute none the less. :)

sam vimes
04-05-2011, 03:31 PM
I realized that I am truly unhip when I waltzed into Hot Topic a few months ago and didn't recognize the names of half of the bands whose T-shirts were on the wall.

DarkFujin
04-05-2011, 04:00 PM
I realized that I am truly unhip when I waltzed into Hot Topic a few months ago and didn't recognize the names of half of the bands whose T-shirts were on the wall.

I have a few band shirts from Hot Topic (iwrestledabearonce, HORSE the Band) but I'm with you. I recognize a few of the bands they sell, but other than that I haven't heard of most of them.

Kelley
04-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Okay, this makes me want to design a really badass heavy metal style Mozart shirt.

I headbang to that, okay.

levelsixtyseven
04-06-2011, 12:17 PM
HT definitely got brighter. however they mainly sell graphic tees which I hate. I really like their old style but maybe not too much graphic tee. It's like borderline 13 year old style

fujyoshi
04-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Bahh, I noticed this too. I was thinking about getting a big pair of Tripp pants complete with Hardware and can't find a girl's pair to save my life. Luckily my Hot Topic's still have the men's pants, I'm just waiting for them to hit Clearance to buy a pair or two. I used to dress the full Hot Topic goth garb back in junior high and I kind of miss it sometimes. Was planning on getting an outfit that I woulda wore back in the day for old times sake. e.e

I've been trying to find another girls pair 'a tripp pants but lately all they have is the skinnies and I'm not wearing any crap tight enough to possibly constipate me -_= The last clearanced guys pair I got was back in november D:

Okay, this makes me want to design a really badass heavy metal style Mozart shirt.

I headbang to that, okay.

doo eet and I shall break my neck wit you xD

tarinalove
04-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Meh, quality over quantity is what I think. Also just because they sell nintendo stuff does not mean you can not go somewhere else and purchase the same thing for less.

I do not shop at hot topic anymore because: I feel old and I do not belong in some over priced preteen antigoth store. Check goodwill, ebay, and other thrift stores.

small_lady
04-06-2011, 07:42 PM
at least it hasn't gone the way of torrid. I felt so bad for my plus sized friends when they couldn't dress the way they wanted to any longer because torrid changed styles dramatically.

DarkFujin
04-07-2011, 02:00 AM
at least it hasn't gone the way of torrid. I felt so bad for my plus sized friends when they couldn't dress the way they wanted to any longer because torrid changed styles dramatically.

I always thought Torrid sold the exact same stuff as Hot Topic, only plus size? I never go to Torrid though, so I could be wrong.

fujyoshi
04-07-2011, 07:38 AM
I always thought Torrid sold the exact same stuff as Hot Topic, only plus size? I never go to Torrid though, so I could be wrong.

I never even heard of torrid xD

Lt.Finn
04-07-2011, 05:20 PM
All the Torrid's in our area went out business.. they're not really like Hot Topic at all. At ALL at all. It's frustrating that I'm too big for HotTopic and too small for Torrid. I haven't been able to shop at Hot Topic since they started scaling down their sizes. If I fit into an XL comfortably at Old Navy/ the Gap, I should be able to fit into an XL at Hot Topic, NOT a 3X thanks.

I ALMOST went in there a few months ago until I saw 6 Beiber tees in the window right next to the Twilight display and the giant STARRING JOHNNY DEPP insert-item-here. I had to drag my screaming sister into GameStop to try to cheer her up. Even all the Harry Potter stuff is getting on my nerves. I think that's when they really started changing.. Harry Potter. Too bad, cause I really love the books.. Potter is my homeboy.

Oh and who the hell is Fred?

fujyoshi
04-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Oh and who the hell is Fred?

some annoying helium voiced kid from the internet that has a show on nickolodeon now o_O

DarkFujin
04-07-2011, 08:39 PM
I noticed Target has been selling Twilight and Justin Beiber stuff lately. Target sure is changing for the worse....

Axelai
04-07-2011, 08:48 PM
I remember awhile back, I talked to a manager of Hot Topic about this very topic.

He told me that the store goes through rotations. Every few years, they go more goth, then more scene, then more goth, etc. Just with whatever is more popular at the time. And well, since the more goth fashion is dying out these days, so is its existence at Hot Topic.

sam vimes
04-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Screw Hot Topic. Just go to your local head shop.

secretsof2113
04-07-2011, 08:55 PM
I worked at Hot Topic for three holiday seasons. And I saw a lot of things change there just in the time I worked. I still don't get where everyone thinks Abercrombie owns the company. They don't. Torrid and Shock Hound are the only two other companies they own.

I liked the job, don't get me wrong. But I got crap for hours, even during the holidays. Because they were forced to hire in so many associates that those with seniority still didn't get many hours.

They also change way too much with what the big trend is at the time. I wouldn't be shocked if they start carrying Rebecca Black shirts with some Friday references soon.

penny_dreadful
04-07-2011, 08:55 PM
If I fit into an XL comfortably at Old Navy/ the Gap, I should be able to fit into an XL at Hot Topic, NOT a 3X thanks.

Old Navy is notorious for scaling their sizes larger than most places. I typically wear one to three sizes smaller at ON than I do anywhere else.

I remember awhile back, I talked to a manager of Hot Topic about this very topic.

He told me that the store goes through rotations. Every few years, they go more goth, then more scene, then more goth, etc. Just with whatever is more popular at the time. And well, since the more goth fashion is dying out these days, so is its existence at Hot Topic.

..."Scene" has only been around for, like, five years. /oldlady

sam vimes
04-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Oh sweet baby Jesus. I just realized...if goth fashion is on the way out, that means trends from the early Nineties can't be far behind. Prepare yourselves for high schoolers wearing a whole hell of a lot of neon clothing and Air Jordans and snap bracelets.

albhed_eyes1992
04-07-2011, 11:16 PM
If I remember right, GAP bought their rights. So now.... they suck. Yes, it is quite sad. The thing that disgusts me the most it the ICP paraphernalia that they sell.

Lithium Flower
04-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Oh sweet baby Jesus. I just realized...if goth fashion is on the way out, that means trends from the early Nineties can't be far behind. Prepare yourselves for high schoolers wearing a whole hell of a lot of neon clothing and Air Jordans and snap bracelets.

~.~ I wore snap bracelets but I was in primary school when it was acceptable along with Jell Pens and sticker earrings.

Pudding-chan
04-07-2011, 11:59 PM
I remember liking Hot Topic back when I was in middle school. But as I started figuring out my own thing in high school, I definitely took a step away from them. At least in the stores around me, I didn't like the poor quality of their products. Also, I didn't like how people who went there were all into being different and alternative, when in fact, they were just rich, spoiled suburb kids. It's not "different" if everyone else is doing it too.

small_lady
04-08-2011, 12:14 AM
this is what I remember my torrid and hot topic looking like. =(

Hot Topic http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/donteatmenchi/hot-topic.jpg

Torrid http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/donteatmenchi/torrid-01.jpg

Now they both look like this

Hot topic http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/donteatmenchi/1274302805store_details_hottopic.jpg

Torrid http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/donteatmenchi/newtorrid.jpg

the torrid I can handle. it at least looks like a classy chic place to buy stuff. the hot topic on the other hand feels like it was a limited too but for bigger kids. ;___;

Lithium Flower
04-08-2011, 12:16 AM
~.~ WTF is that bull. I remember my mother snapped a really intense Hot Topic entrance in L.A once it had huge gargoyles outside and it was actually quite cool looking on the outside.

I wonder what it looks like now.

And if they will mail me those gargoyles.

Rinoa07
04-08-2011, 02:20 AM
~.~ I wore snap bracelets but I was in primary school when it was acceptable along with Jell Pens and sticker earrings.
I remember all that! And jelly sandals! The sandals always wore out quickly though and made your feet smell really bad, but still! The nostalgia!!

Also, I miss the creepy looking Hot Topics...And I used to like shopping in Torrid because I always wore the smallest size in everything, hahaha. It used to at least be my go-to place for pants, since they actually fit at the hips! I still had to take them in on the legs and waist, but it's okay. But ever since they started only carrying the skinny-fit jeans, I have to look elsewhere.

FunnyValentine
04-08-2011, 08:26 AM
I used to love Hot Topic in middle school. They completely changed a little after I had a new style so it doesn't bother me. I think all stores are just trying to make teenagers look like douchebags. My younger brother looks like a friggen douchebag all the time. Damn stores.

supergeekgirl
04-08-2011, 01:32 PM
I usually go to Hot Topic around Christmastime to get presents for my sister and some of my friends (they usually have bands they like on shirts or video game-themed stuff). I didn't notice any change in my local Hot Topic this Christmas, but it does look from their website like they've dropped the Gothic-style lines like Lip Service and Red Balls. That's a little sad. I was just starting to admire the fact that they were getting some cute loli dresses in.

I guess companies have to change to keep up with what's cool, and now that I'm in my mid-20s and removed from the "cool" world, I'm not sure what that is. I guess it's what they're selling?

You know... I did notice that they took the Gothic gates off of the front of our local HT. They used to have these lovely black gates with metal vines "growing" over them.

superchan
04-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Most of the time I only buy some of their bands shirts, and maybe earrings and suspenders. The last recent thing I brought from HT was a Daft Punk shirt.
(I Love It!)

I HATE HATE HATEEE though that they have Justin Bieber, Kesha, basically crappy singers/bands merch almost everywhere though, and also that they basically have AWESOME jeans but you have to be a toothpick to fit in them!

Ugh, maybe it's just my chubbiness, BUT STILL...!!! :razz:

Lt.Finn
04-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Hot Topic's clothes are still too small..
Somewhere around a year ago there was a girl who worked in ours who looked so much like old Hot Topic and I felt bad that she seemed so out of place with all the Edward faces and pink tutus hanging around her. I'm pretty sure she's gone now.. she was cool. Not "fake cool" either like the new guy with the attitude who just wears a black shirt and thinks it makes him badass.

Takozu
04-08-2011, 11:27 PM
~.~ WTF is that bull. I remember my mother snapped a really intense Hot Topic entrance in L.A once it had huge gargoyles outside and it was actually quite cool looking on the outside.

I wonder what it looks like now.

And if they will mail me those gargoyles.

That sounds like the one at Universal CityWalk. I think the gargoyles and the torches are still there. Then again, last time I went, was like three years ago.

Takozu
04-08-2011, 11:32 PM
My Hot Topic's still sporting the industrial entrance and the old Red on black logo. All their tags though have transitioned to the silver/black. They keep the Bieber and the Ke$ha to a minimum, our HT opts for more Gamer Chic and Internet memes. Also, Twilight.
Off topic, I work at a PacSun, and lemme tell you, a year and a half ago we were sporting the same bright neon flourescents and animal prints, and now we've moved to floral and Native American inspired surfer girl. Stores change with what's selling. Five, six years ago? It was the Sex Pistols, Green Day and the Ramones tees. EVERYONE had a Ramones tee. Then the Rave/Scene/Emo movement happened, and BAM. Flourescents.

Lithium Flower
04-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Am I the only one who loves me some Hello Kitty swag?

toshirua3846384
04-09-2011, 01:00 AM

Nope me too; but more specifically the whole shebang of sanrio

Takozu
04-09-2011, 01:21 AM

Hello Kitty love, right here. I originally started going to HT for Punk Rock!Hello Kitty stuff.

Rinoa07
04-09-2011, 02:31 AM

Nope me too; but more specifically the whole shebang of sanrio

Hello Kitty love, right here. I originally started going to HT for Punk Rock!Hello Kitty stuff.

That's what the Sanrio store is for. I used to love the little angel hello kitty, though.

toshirua3846384
04-09-2011, 09:04 AM
That's what the Sanrio store is for. I used to love the little angel hello kitty, though.

Our mall sanrio store down here isn't really big enough for me ; not to mention its usually over crowded with very loud obnoxious people that break shit trying to get their grubby little hands on all the merchandise i want, not to mention it has a bad habit of smelling like diapers when you visit around 2-3:00pm. Not fun for me not fun in the least, i order my HK stuff online now.

Lithium Flower
04-09-2011, 09:19 AM
There isn't a mall with a Sanrio store around here for like 45 minutes and its in the upper buttarse cold bit of Michigan.

~.~

lyraparry11
04-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Hot topic sucks, IMO. It's just mall gawf heaven, changing with whatever new trend is the most rebellious and will piss off the parents of the 12 year olds who shop there the most. I've never been much into their style.

If you still need help with your misa costume, they might have SOME plaid skirts and the like, but they're all stupid and poofy, not just the pleated ones, which aren't half bad I guess.

JiseiHakushaku
04-09-2011, 08:29 PM
You just need to find the local Hot Topic that keeps with your trends. My Hot Topic is still the insane paradise it has always been + a little Justin Bieber, which is in the back of the store and easy enough to ignore. /Unless your sister is with you and screaming about the ew emo bands and how you should love Bieber. Not that I don't like a couple of her songs, but still. Nothxplz

I'm into crazy florescents as well as grunge, though, so maybe that's the reason I'm not so bothered.

Ragtime Mouth
04-09-2011, 09:39 PM
I never bought anything from HT unless it was a huge clearance, but our HT was just friendly and laid back with their employees so it was just a nice atmosphere to stroll around in as a kid, even if I never cared for the emo/anime corners, purposely faded tshirts, and the yearly spongebob walls of shame... Last time I was in there, the employees were nailed behind the counters in skinny jeans, glasses with no lenses, knit caps in the middle of summer, and lady gaga was playing through out the store... never again. I didn't know it even needed to change so much for business, there were always people in it previously. It'll eventually change again.

levelsixtyseven
04-10-2011, 02:29 AM
There isn't a mall with a Sanrio store around here for like 45 minutes and its in the upper buttarse cold bit of Michigan.

~.~

I live in Michigan too. There's a Sanrio store 30 mins away from me. it's in Auburn Hills

fullbleed
04-10-2011, 06:31 AM
... Big who cares?

Oh you've changed man!

The idea of the contents of a clothes store changing with fashion? Shock. And if you will, horror.

Well I'm from the UK anyway so we never had any but I was still never into those kind of gothy/grungey clothes. So what if I don't think its fashionable to wear Nightmare before Christmas tees, and maybe I own a pair slim jeans... maybe I'm wearing them right now, maybe fuck yourself. (kidding)

But you shouldn't judge people just for wearing latest trends just as you wouldn't want people judging you for wearing [dated] pop cutlure tees.

Oh and there's nothing wrong with Lady Gaga :)

Ragtime Mouth
04-10-2011, 08:01 AM
... Big who cares?

Oh you've changed man!

The idea of the contents of a clothes store changing with fashion? Shock. And if you will, horror.

Well I'm from the UK anyway so we never had any but I was still never into those kind of gothy/grungey clothes. So what if I don't think its fashionable to wear Nightmare before Christmas tees, and maybe I own a pair slim jeans... maybe I'm wearing them right now, maybe fuck yourself. (kidding)

But you shouldn't judge people just for wearing latest trends just as you wouldn't want people judging you for wearing [dated] pop cutlure tees.

Oh and there's nothing wrong with Lady Gaga :)

Nothing wrong with her, even if I really don't care for her. It's just a major change, I thought I was in the wrong store almost. No one is effect, or really cares, since everyone can shop online for anything. I could care less about what anyone wears, I wear whatever is clean and comfortable and get my clothes from a thrift store. :)

fujyoshi
04-10-2011, 08:20 AM
I used to love Hot Topic in middle school. They completely changed a little after I had a new style so it doesn't bother me. I think all stores are just trying to make teenagers look like douchebags. My younger brother looks like a friggen douchebag all the time. Damn stores.

/heh at teenagers looking like feminine hygiene products ....

I HATE HATE HATEEE though that they have Justin Bieber, Kesha, basically crappy singers/bands merch almost everywhere though, and also that they basically have AWESOME jeans but you have to be a toothpick to fit in them!

Ugh, maybe it's just my chubbiness, BUT STILL...!!! :razz:

Actually I never knew size 0 really existed untill I went there o-0 and yes I don't touch alot 'a todays american music wit a 10 foot pole now ... I even heard of justin bieber by accident because my dumb brother listens to that. He thought listening Aicle or something would make him look gay but whats he think having justin bieber in his iphone make him look like <,< He couldn't handle xodiack o-o

Vexation
04-11-2011, 07:07 PM
What self-respecting Goth shops at Hot Topic anyway? 8|

ShinobiXikyu
04-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Pretty much. :P ((Technically, I don't know why I'm even posting here. There isn't any Hot Topic shops in Canada. Thank gods.))

MermaidRizu
04-11-2011, 11:37 PM
I was confused when I saw this thread, because the HT near me still has a lot of that goth/punk style in it, they now just have a few more shirts with internet memes on them. Nothing wrong with that, as far as I'm concerned~ ^^

But what Yui said a while back in the thread about how individual HT stores decide what to sell cleared it up for me. I guess I'm just lucky~ XD;

fujyoshi
04-12-2011, 10:29 AM
What self-respecting Goth shops at Hot Topic anyway? 8|

you'd probably have to consider yourself goth first xD

DarkFujin
04-12-2011, 11:25 AM
you'd probably have to consider yourself goth first xD

So.... poseur-goth? Because that's who would consider themselves Goth while shopping at Hot Topic.

AlliedHeather
04-12-2011, 12:29 PM
i hate hot topic now they piss me off
i loved them back in the day

Mangochutney
04-12-2011, 12:43 PM
I think Hot Topic's inevitable shift away from goth to be nothing but a good thing. I mean, I bought those goth clothes. I wore those goth clothes. And they were complete SHIT. The cheapest possible fabric, bad seams, bad shaping, bad every-single-aspect-of-actual-clothing. Disintegrated after one wash. Might as well have DIY'd it in the first place, because that's what you did after the seams disintegrated and the lace trim scratched the hell out of your neck.

A shitty screen-printed tshirt is pretty much business as usual. A shitty velvet dress is both sad and embarrassing. Be glad they've moved on to less demanding goods.

fujyoshi
04-12-2011, 01:10 PM
So.... poseur-goth? Because that's who would consider themselves Goth while shopping at Hot Topic.

who knows I don't really considier myself anything ... I always found it easier standing alone anyway

Lithium Flower
04-12-2011, 01:32 PM
I always get excited when Mango arrives.

/ahem/

Anyway.
I always figured that 'any self-respecting goth' didn't refer to themselves as a 'goth' in the first place.

toshirua3846384
04-12-2011, 03:01 PM
I always get excited when Mango arrives.

/ahem/

Anyway.
I always figured that 'any self-respecting goth' didn't refer to themselves as a 'goth' in the first place.

^^this

Off topic though

I was rummaging thorough some old receipts an i found one hottopic receipt from when i bought a hoodie and tripp pants from there. Anyways the receipt at the top stated this

" HOTTOPIC"
"Celebrating 30 years of Punk"
*random date of when the items were purchaced from the store"

Also i asked a manger that has been working at my particular hot topic store for years now; "what type of clothing hot topic usually sells", he replied: "we sell punk, grunge, and pop gear", as he pointed to the play boy bunny things.

So im wondering how is this store "goth" when they sell punk type clothing?

TheAnarCHris
04-12-2011, 03:15 PM
^^this

Off topic though

I was rummaging thorough some old receipts an i found one hottopic receipt from when i bought a hoodie and tripp pants from there. Anyways the receipt at the top stated this

" HOTTOPIC"
"Celebrating 30 years of Punk"
*random date of when the items were purchaced from the store"

Also i asked a manger that has been working at my particular hot topic store for years now; "what type of clothing hot topic usually sells", he replied: "we sell punk, grunge, and pop gear", as he pointed to the play boy bunny things.

So im wondering how is this store "goth" when they sell punk type clothing?

To quote MC Lars, Hot Topic is not punk rock, and post-pop nerd rappers are never wrong about that type of thing. Enjoy your goth-by-GAP clothing children.

toshirua3846384
04-12-2011, 03:18 PM
To quote MC Lars, Hot Topic is not punk rock, and post-pop nerd rappers are never wrong about that type of thing. Enjoy your goth-by-GAP clothing children.

Ahhh and there is lol

TheAnarCHris
04-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Ahhh and there is lol

Wait, did someone actually get my semi-obscure nerdcore reference.

:::Slowly raises hand for internet-high-five:::

toshirua3846384
04-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Wait, did someone actually get my semi-obscure nerdcore reference.

:::Slowly raises hand for internet-high-five:::

High five to that lol

DarkFujin
04-12-2011, 06:37 PM
I think Hot Topic's inevitable shift away from goth to be nothing but a good thing. I mean, I bought those goth clothes. I wore those goth clothes. And they were complete SHIT. The cheapest possible fabric, bad seams, bad shaping, bad every-single-aspect-of-actual-clothing. Disintegrated after one wash. Might as well have DIY'd it in the first place, because that's what you did after the seams disintegrated and the lace trim scratched the hell out of your neck.

A shitty screen-printed tshirt is pretty much business as usual. A shitty velvet dress is both sad and embarrassing. Be glad they've moved on to less demanding goods.

Seriously. I used to buy the Hot Topic poseur-goth shit when I was a teen, and it was not only a waste of money but I looked like a complete idiot. Baggy clothes with holes in the seams (usually under the armpit) and whatnot. The clothes were shitty quality and looked like shit. Every time I see pictures of myself from back then I want to punch myself.

I don't care if Hot Topic has changed because I changed

Brutal
04-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Hot Topic does constantly change because it's just as it's name suggest, "Hot Topic". I will admit back when they first opened up they had decent stuff, not good or great. Just decent, but the things they sell now is like complete garbage because they're constantly changing their merchandise to what they think people want to buy when their best costumers are pre-teens who think the stuff there makes them look cool in an odd way since most of their merchandise is aimed towards the emo/scene/hipster whatever they want to call themselves now days crowd.

TheAnarCHris
04-12-2011, 07:27 PM
High five to that lol

No. RESPECT KNUCKLES!

Seriously. I used to buy the Hot Topic poseur-goth shit when I was a teen, and it was not only a waste of money but I looked like a complete idiot. Baggy clothes with holes in the seams (usually under the armpit) and whatnot. The clothes were shitty quality and looked like shit. Every time I see pictures of myself from back then I want to punch myself.

I don't care if Hot Topic has changed because I changed

Hot Topic, much like ANY mall clothes store, changes with the times, catering to what confused teenagers wear per generation. WHEN I WAS, A YOUNG BOY, my generation of idiots was post Marilyn Manson shock-rock/Rise of Nu-Metal/Pop Punk, and Hot Topic capitalized off of that. That and DBZ.

DarkFujin
04-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Hot Topic, much like ANY mall clothes store, changes with the times, catering to what confused teenagers wear per generation. WHEN I WAS, A YOUNG BOY, my generation of idiots was post Marilyn Manson shock-rock/Rise of Nu-Metal/Pop Punk, and Hot Topic capitalized off of that. That and DBZ.

This is pretty much what I've been saying this entire thread.

KitoCosplay
06-26-2011, 03:39 PM
From what I've seen, Hot topic follows trends. When a Hot topic opened in a mall near me (back when I was in middle school), it was big in selling Tripp clothing. Now it's selling clothing which coincides with the new Emo trend

kuroki-neko
06-26-2011, 04:33 PM
from what i have seen on my last vist to hot topic its mostly the new emo trend and a little skater.

i remember when they were selling some naturo stuff (headbands etc)one day i went in there thinking "yay i can get the headband for my itachi cosplay!" but alas they were not selling them anymore

Number15
08-03-2011, 08:39 PM
About the time I could go there to get some clothes I would enjoy... they had gone flashy and mainstream. I've since matured past liking the wanna be goth look and am not as bothered, but I was heartbroken when I first discovered this outrage.

~BloodCaduceus~
08-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Hot Topic did, sadly, change. As a high schooler (2006ish), I would frequently shop there and their clothing was unique, made better, and less....mainstream.

Then, the management changed. At first, the changes were subtle, a dash of pink here, a cruddy made shirt there. Then, the WHOLE store changed and their clothing went downhill. Shirts fall apart, jewelry is cheap and easily breakable, and it looks like Aberchrombie and Fitches worst nightmare.

It's sad to see a good store go to such...wastes.

Jei-Cos
08-04-2011, 01:30 AM
hot topic sux..lol no really i use to wear all their clothes..and boots and shit but now they fucking suck hardcore..like was said tho, by Flora88, they ARE owned by a&f and its sad

Convulsive
08-04-2011, 01:43 AM
Aw, you guys made me feel poopy. I love HT, I shop there because it's the only place with nice colored jeans and gorillaz tees. I also get makeup and accessories there too, like sunglasses and jewelry.
Where I live, HT isn't mainstream [barely]. people still think it's the "weird" store. Meh. My town is extremely stupid.

NeonBunnyGirl
08-04-2011, 02:20 AM
o.O what store doesn't change over time?

Their under garments are pretty cute and i love that they have neon clothes and accessories now, i used to make my own neon skirts, shirts, leggings, leg warmers and arm warmers. Oh how i wish i was alive and kicking in the 80's.
besides that though i don't really care for much else in their store.

now if they start selling 50's style dresses then i'd absolutely love them. all this beiber and hello kitty crap sucks. D:

Jei-Cos
08-04-2011, 12:23 PM
all this beiber and hello kitty crap sucks. D:

u got that right..about the justin part..he doesnt even have too many real fans over age 10..hats kinda creepy..doesnt anyone find it weird that he is like 17 and sings to a crowd of 8-10 yr olds..i do

sam vimes
08-04-2011, 12:30 PM
The amount of people claiming that Hot Topic was not mainstream in their day is staggering.

Cadmium Polyphony
08-04-2011, 12:33 PM
o.O what store doesn't change over time?

Wal-mart?

MissCookie
08-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Wal-mart?

THIS.

hollowchrist
08-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Wal-mart?

IKR. Wal-Mart pretty much stays the same all the time.

lostjuly
08-04-2011, 04:14 PM
hot topic is so different from when i was like, 15, hahaha. i'm 21 now and i go there just to look at whatever fandom stuff they have (i.e. harry potter and superhero merch). i find some random nice things in the clearance aisle, like stockings and makeup, and those things haven't changed that much over the years. their band shirts pretty much suck now, and that's what ht was really known for "in my day." a lot of their things aren't as "gothic" as they used to be, for sure.

~*Vash*~
08-05-2011, 10:47 AM
yes it has i remember when they had like only 4 really dim lights in the stores but they still sell vinlys so i am happy

Anima-Mort
08-05-2011, 11:53 AM
I used to go to Hot Topic to buy for overpriced Mindless Self Indulgence and ska albums.

And then I realized there was a local store four blocks away that sold preowned but-still-pretty-spiffy Less Than Jake CDs. Never looked back.

~*Vash*~
08-05-2011, 12:00 PM
most money i spent on vinlys at hot topic is 9.99 plus tax

Ragtime Mouth
08-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Clearance stockings, flats, candy, and makeup. In the end, that's all I ever bought. No loss there.

BlondieSundae
08-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Hottopic used to be more geared to the "goth and punk" fashions but when those died down they're geared more to "scene and pop" cultures. They sell Bieber and Gaga now. I really don't care much about the change, some times I find neat shirts on the clearance racks =3

I used to go to Hot Topic to buy for overpriced Mindless Self Indulgence and ska albums.

And then I realized there was a local store four blocks away that sold preowned but-still-pretty-spiffy Less Than Jake CDs. Never looked back.

They had ska albums? Never saw those....but personally I agree on the overpriced cd side. I can go to plenty a place and buy cheaper. Though ska is getting harder to find >.< I had to drive really far to get this Reel Big Fish Live album

Neruroll
02-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Exactly!! I feel the same! It's really opened up and brighter in there than I remember...ugh ;(

DireKitty
02-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Did this really need to be bumped?

Lightning Baron
02-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Did this really need to be bumped?

Yes Yes it did :eeek: