PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Wigs

!*Jessi-Chan*!
10-30-2003, 07:35 AM
Those Halloween wigs in Walmart are super cheap.....I know they're not of quality, but would YOU all buy them...esp. if you're on a budget! That $6...$7...$8 pricetag lured me to buy a long pink one for my furture Utena...

Catpaw
10-30-2003, 07:47 AM
they r crap... my opion... *Beats up wig*

Hikaru Tsuki
10-30-2003, 09:09 AM
I would only buy one of those wigs if I was only intending on wearing it once and for something small. But even then I may not. They look so cheap they seen to be a total waste of money. =P

Koumori
10-30-2003, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't, no. Cheap wigs, especially acrylic ones, are hard to work with, tangle easily, fall apart easily, and don't look like real hair. I would rather spend the money for a better product every time.

Hikaruchan
10-30-2003, 10:04 AM
I picked a couple of them up just cause they were fairly cheap. Of the ones I got (most were the higher prices ones that I scrutinized the pics to try to weed out bad ones), only one is crap - the other 3 were surprising okay. Planning on using one of them for Lachesis if it phototests okay.

makonurikoryoko
10-30-2003, 11:03 AM
I used one from target fo rmy dejiko costume an dit pretty good. Though I picked up a long supposedly straight pink one which i planned on cutting up anyway and it was all wavy XP

DarkindDreamer
10-30-2003, 11:11 AM
i've used those wigs for several things.. when properly styled and trimmed they can look very very good.. 2 of my best wigs i get the most complements have come from wal mart over the years.

Gren
10-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Might use them to harvest wefts for spikey wigs (which never need brushing as they are solidly locked into their spikes) or a nappy poofy wig like Inu Yasha. Otherwise? Nooo.

Susumari
10-30-2003, 03:59 PM
yep. my friend got a witch one, and i think it turned out good. she wore it to school. lol, some ppl thought it was her real hair.

Bahzi
10-30-2003, 05:06 PM
Eh, some of the wal-mart ones you can actaully get a comb through, some you just can't. They do have quite a few of them, but for a serious costume, there's no way in hell I'd trust it, besides, if I want to wear the costume a few months later, I want the wig to still be usable, they're mostly oneshot deals.

Songstress_Yuna
10-30-2003, 05:50 PM
I picked one up from..Err..San Fransico(sp?) a store at a mall near me, It was about 10 bucks and Im planning on using it for me Kikyo Costume, and It's not that bad at all. I can comb it and everything. I just need to learn how to put it on properly.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
10-30-2003, 08:46 PM
My pink wig has just been sitting on my dresser.....on my ghetto wig stand (a aresol can and a bowl sitting ontop of it...) for at least....a month maybe....I don't really know how to tell the quality of wigs, however, but it seems good. No tangles...i'm scared to try and bush it though b/c of where it comes from. I'm afraid it'll just fall apart! Is there a sort of...test i would put it through to see if it's good enough for my Utena. (her French Aristocrat costume!)

KaraokeKate
10-31-2003, 02:14 AM
I really ought to start a new topic just for this.

For those of you curious what a "good" wig should feel like, but don't want to spend the $30 to find out, I've got a ton of swatches I can send.

There is a HUGE difference between "cheap" and "good" wigs. More often than not, your $10 would be better spent on something else.

Hikaruchan
10-31-2003, 10:42 AM
Snort, I have $60 dollar wigs - so I know what higher quality feels like. Sometimes if its not a competition costume I just want to keep the cost down, as long as the wig looks decent - like my ghetto InuYasha where the cheap wig is about the best part of the costume.

AniMajor
10-31-2003, 02:13 PM
Back when I thought costumes were for Halloween and parties, I got Wal Mart wigs for everything. Like my Sailor Saturn costume. I got a black wig, had to cut it short and put bangs into it. It was alright for that one night, but afterwards it really looked like crap. Another one I got was for my original character Halloween costume, and I got a blond wig and cut it short. Then I used the hair color spray stuff and put streaks in it. It worked for the night, and luckily I knew how to put my hair up so that it wouldn't come out. When I did my first convention cosplay, it wasn't around Halloween, I didn't know of any wig stores, so I knew I had to get it online. I though that since I was getting it online, I could get something as close as possible to the wig I needed. That was also the most expensive wig I bought, but it didn't feel like a broom when you combed it, and it didn't go bald when you combed it either.

I did get a Wal Mart wig for my friend's Miroku, and it came out decent, after we spent the night ripping the sparkly things out of it.

In short, Wal Mart wigs are good for Halloween, if you're on a tight budgent, but don't expect them to last more than a night.

Scortia
10-31-2003, 02:45 PM
All of my wigs have been $25 and less off of eBay... and I haven't found any unstylable or crappy... I did buy one wig in a store before and the hair quality and bangs were horrible... but this was years ago before wigs became a big thing again so the quality is probably better now.

KaraokeKate
10-31-2003, 03:40 PM
Sometimes if its not a competition costume I just want to keep the cost down, as long as the wig looks decent - like my ghetto InuYasha where the cheap wig is about the best part of the costume.

Oh yeah, I agree entirely, if you plan to only wear the costume for few hours total, or done care if your hair looks messy, then it would be silly to spend the $30 on something you'll never use again.

What I'm talking about is for cosplayers who have already spent quite a bit of time, money, and heartache on the costume itself, and aren't familiar with the real differences between a good and a "disposable" wig. Or whose parents aren't familiar with the difference, and honestly think they're getting a "great deal" on a less expensive wig. I've had plenty of people contacting me, asking if I can "fix" their Wal-Mart wigs because they don't look as nice as they did on the package, and they are unable to style them. Of course, this is often only a few days before the convention, so ordering a good replacement online isn't even an option anymore.

So it's not really about whether or not you think the $20 cost difference is too much for a good wig, it's more about informing the cosplaying community that the wigs you see being worn that make you go "Wow! That's looks great!" were not purchased from Wal-Mart. Afterall, you can also get a plastic "Amidala" costume at Wal-Mart, but no cosplayer would think: "Hey! This is a lot less expensive than a fabric costume, and it'll look just as good!"

There are plenty of resources for sewing information widely and readily available for cosplayers. But there is a marked lack of good wig information. I'm just trying to let folks know that there's a lot more to it than just finding a place that sells them. I'm trying to help them make informed purchasing decisions. ~_^

Meredisu-chan
11-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I personally have never bought a Wal Mart wig, but I have bought two from K-Mart. They are really not all that good, but if you're not too proficient in styling or cutting and you know you're going to have to, a cheap one sometimes is better, because even if you totally screw it up, it was only like eight dollars. But if you're getting one that you don't plan on cutting or anything, even a few extra bucks can make a huge difference.

Love and peas,

Meredisu-chan

ainslye
11-06-2003, 05:47 PM
My walmart wig is sucky, but it works for my emi costume (since all but the ends are under the hat)... it was bought in the uber-cheap-post halloween sale a few octobers ago. I love post-halloween sales... I tend to wait until then and buy a bunch of fun accessories, cream makeups, latex stuff, etc.
Oh, back to the topic at hand: walmart wigs are good for playing and experimenting, and for quick costumes, but not for the one you've spent ages bleeding over. ^_^

witchwigs.com is for that.
I've also had great luck with easleys.com .. their eve wigs are awesome (a nice bob that comes in many colors that includes hair on the nape of the neck to cover any strays of your own) and regular shipping takes only a week (plus or minus a few days), but you can speed up shipping up to overnight for less than other places have cost. Just an FYI. :)

Miaka No Baka
11-06-2003, 06:15 PM
i dunno i have some walmart ones and they're pretty nice, granted they're not $30 quality but still they're good. In a pinch for ani-magic i had forgotten my padudu wig in modesto and we were entering the costume contest and i needed BRIGHT red hair, so off went one of my groupmates to walmart and found the wig that is now my padudu wig, granted it has tinsel strands in it but still it's kick ass and makes it stand out more against the black of the inside of the fish and it's held up soo much. I've worn that wig to cons since oct 2002, that wig has been combed, stored and combed again and still hasn't fallen apart.

Miaka no Baka

SaiyenGirl
11-10-2003, 09:01 PM
Wal-mart wigs aren't very reliable. You can get a good one or you can get a bad one. I bought one for my freya costume, it really wasn't that bad, but I screwed it up because I didn't know how to handle it. I'm sure had I known how to brush it out it would have lasted me a good while. It all depends on how you treat them and what quality they are in when you get them.
Yet if you poor blood and sweat into a costume there's no question, get a better quality wig then wal-mart. Wal-mart wigs are for costumes that you a.) made to only wear once anyway, or b.) need a quick fix until you get a better wig.

Jinx
11-10-2003, 10:15 PM
I bought those two that are short and spikey.. one is red and pink and the other is black and red, and they're all right. Pretty cute. ^-^;; I did buy one like, two Halloweens ago, it was a long blue one, and it works okay. I mean, like everyone says, if you're not going to do anything with it, they should be fine.

lunasreincarnat
12-01-2003, 03:46 AM
i hate walmart or any other halloween wigs. they are so crapy no matter how u try and style it you see the netting cap. i only use em if i wanna make cyber falls or something for like one time use.