PDA

View Full Version : My taokaka cosplay mask

SirFluffykins
03-28-2011, 01:31 AM
Im just about to start making my taokaka cosplay ( yes I will be one of very few male taokakas ) and was wondering on how you guys would go about doing the face itself. I want it to be solid and well rounded and overlaying on the inside of the coat( if it is a half mask, if it was a full rounded head then it won't really matter ). I do know that I will be putting a light fabric over the outside and don't care if it's a full round head or just a half mask. One thing is for sure I don't want a flimsy fabric only mask that folds. Need to get your ideas so I can have this outfit ready for metrocon in June.

Tuesday.
04-06-2011, 05:09 PM
My suggestion would be to paper mache the top of a balloon to the size you want, and then attaching fabric to that. Cut out eye holes and fill with some translucent red fabric or mesh. Or, if you're feeling a bit snazzy, use black fabric and install red LEDs in to the eyes so that they can glow.

PhDPepper
04-09-2011, 04:30 AM
I actually have made a mask using a snowboarding goggle as a base, then using wonderflex to make a bowl shape, then wrapping it in black stretch velvet. I also inserted EL-wire into the lenses of the goggles to make the eyes glow, and made the teeth out of Paper Clay that i had left over, so that it would have a 3d design and sort of pop out. Its in my Work in Progress Gallery. Link (http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/162925/)

I'm sure that paper mache would work in place of wonderflex too like the above poster mentioned. Its just, remember Air Hole if your going to cover it in fabric. It gets really hard to breath otherwise. I actually stripped off the velvet and punched in the air holes later, because it became unbearable under the mask.

R1KKu
04-11-2011, 10:30 AM
I actually have made a mask using a snowboarding goggle as a base, then using wonderflex to make a bowl shape, then wrapping it in black stretch velvet. I also inserted EL-wire into the lenses of the goggles to make the eyes glow, and made the teeth out of Paper Clay that i had left over, so that it would have a 3d design and sort of pop out. Its in my Work in Progress Gallery. Link (http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/162925/)

I'm sure that paper mache would work in place of wonderflex too like the above poster mentioned. Its just, remember Air Hole if your going to cover it in fabric. It gets really hard to breath otherwise. I actually stripped off the velvet and punched in the air holes later, because it became unbearable under the mask.

That mask looks pretty nice. I love how you did the teeth. I think I might have to do something like that.

I've been meaning to redo my mask, probably outta Wonderflex. The one I have now is outta Rigid Wrap and Paperclay, and kinda uncomfortable. Maybe I should put some air holes in mine, lol.

PhDPepper
04-12-2011, 01:13 AM
The part that makes the mask comfortable is i guess the snowboarding goggle underneath. I took a pair of wire clippers and clipped the front of the snowboarding goggle off, and stitched/glued it onto the wonderflex part of the mask so the lens would be flush, and since its a goggle with built in cushions, etc, it stays pretty comfortable, and has an adjustable strap already built in, lol.

Took a while for me to admit that it was me with the Tao outfit, lol. I didn't want to take that mask off before i added those air holes, and i had a problem with muscle cramps and almost passed out from suffocation so... air holes, extremely important, lol.

I guess at this point i'm just making the fix's in case a friend feels like borrowing the cosplay or something. I've already outgrown the outfit, lol.