PDA

View Full Version : Period costumes...

Beware_UY7
10-30-2003, 06:04 PM
I was just working on a victorian dress for a musical that I'm currently in and a question came to me...
What is everyone's favorite period of dress?

Mine is totally the 1860's. I love hoop skirts, and the bustle in 1868 was nice too. Though, hoop skirt + car = out of cheese error. It just doesn't work. I have enough trouble with knee length petticoats in cars *slams a few yards of tulle in the door*

So... while some things might not have been logical, they're still damned fun to make and wear.

Hikaruchan
10-30-2003, 10:35 PM
I have two favorites, and am planning on making both styles next year (at least I can wear them to DragonCon - anything goes there).

Tudor @ 1540 http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/sca/tudor/
Have the outer red velvet going to use, inset brocade for inner skirt and sleeves, 2 necklaces, matching bodice jewelry and girdle belt. Need to try to make correct undergarments for this before anything else.

Regency @ 1820 http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/ACKERMAN.HTM

aachan
11-03-2003, 09:32 AM
I think my favorite period of dress is the Victorian period, from I'd say 1855 until you come to the bustle period (I have natures own bustle). It's just something about a hoop skirt that makes me feel so comfortable.

Can you really get in a car with a hoop skirt on?

Koumori
11-03-2003, 10:16 AM
I'm on a bustle kick right now.

Yes, you can get in a car with a hoop skirt, but I don't recommend trying to drive.

Sarcasm-hime
11-03-2003, 12:53 PM
I like Tudor, but my favourite is medieval (1100-1400). I have a thing for long sleeves and funky headdresses. ^_^

gwegz
11-04-2003, 05:13 AM
middle of 19th, with long coat and horse boots... ^^ or i like the futur style (argh PSO!!)

DarkindDreamer
11-04-2003, 12:30 PM
aww.. you can drive in a hoop skirt!! my mom does it alll the time.. hell.. she's driven in a bustle as well as paniers.. lol..
i personally love the 1840's and 50's for men's suits.. so well fitted with fully coat bottoms.. as for woman's i love the 1870's thru the 1880's.. anything worth goes.. i love his work..

the 1860's are great.. but that's cause i'm always making clothes from that time period ..

BlueLady
11-04-2003, 12:58 PM
hahah i made the mistake of driving with a tight laced victorian corset one time.. I do NOT reccomend that.

I wanna make a 18th century ball gown, unfortunatly i dont have an event to justify the large amount of cash it would require.

Ali
11-04-2003, 01:17 PM
It might be relatively modern, but I LOVE the roarin' 20's. Since my first history lesson on the period, I've been wanting to make this stuff.

And for those of you who drive in hoop skirts and bustles... let me know when, so I can make sure I'm not on the road at the time...

Koumori
11-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Driving in corsets is VERY bad, since the way the car makes you sit and the way the corset makes you sit are not remotely compatible and you'll end up with a screaming backache.

For my Otakon presentation next year I'm doing a few outfits from Paradise Kiss, but instead of doing an exact copy of a manga outfit for my Isabella, I'm doing a full-on bustle dress instead. (Well, natural form.) So much fun.

keri1966
11-04-2003, 10:01 PM
You can see me in two period costumes in my gallery. A late 1867-early1868 dress, sort of made as a tribute to a female ancestor who was an abolitionist, and an 1880 costume I made for Dragon con to show off to my friends at the Buffy track (1880 is when the BTVS character Spike was turned into a vampire) I also have a late Heian period itsuginomo, and 1790 dress.

I've been on a big historical costumes kick for the past year and it's not waning yet. I've always loved historical costumes. I was constantly checking books out on them from the library as a child, drawing them, imagining making them, etc...

When I did Kaoru's yellow kimono from Rurouni Kenshin, I decided to make the whole shebang- all the undergarments, tabi, obi, etc... That was a major pain in the you know what to put on and my obijimi was too stiff and broke when I wore it at a con. I've replaced it with a softer but stronger one that shouldn't break. (I've also since simplified the obi- thus making that part less authentic, but a lot easier to put on!)

Koumori
11-05-2003, 08:17 AM
I find as I'm getting drawn out of cosplay (too old/too many little kids/don't like cons anymore; Otakon 04 will probably be my last gasp), I'm getting drawn back into historical costuming, which is where I started out. I wish there were some kind of local group (besides the SCA - tried that, not my thing) that held costume events - I am green with envy at the things that seem to go on in Southern California (www.gbacg.org).

aachan
11-05-2003, 10:00 AM
I just finished my victorian dress this past weekend. I don't think it came out to badly either, which is surprising considering it was the first thing I've sewn all by myself without any help from anyone (Including Simplicity and their horrid instructions).

Koumori, try this link:

http://www.costume.org/

They may have something going on in your area.

Koumori
11-05-2003, 10:07 AM
Koumori, try this link:

http://www.costume.org/

They may have something going on in your area.

Thanks, aachan - I do know about that group, but I've had some bad experience with some of the folks in their local chapter, so unless things have changed I think I'm on my own. :)

Meredisu-chan
11-05-2003, 03:44 PM
I really love renaissance. So much fun to do. I'm a rennie, although I don't actually work at a particular faire. The costumes are so pretty...and guys in tights. Mwahaha.

Love and peas,

Meredisu-chan

Kabuki
11-06-2003, 01:54 AM
mid to late 1700's for moi *______________* I started out really liking 1750-60's now I'm leaning more toward the later revolutionary styles...I also have an affinity for the vic. bustle eras.

Kirschwasser
11-06-2003, 11:30 AM
I really like the outfits for the Victorian Era/late 1800's, and also for the late 1700's. Although, they look really hard to make. ^_^* So many layers...plus there is that corset deal. I've never worn one, but they do look like they would cause some...difficulty to breathing. *Laughs*
I also like most of the medieval era clothing. One of these days, my mother, sister, and I are going to make costumes based of the medieval era so we can wear it to a Rennaisance Faire. ^__^

Koumori
11-06-2003, 01:11 PM
I really like the outfits for the Victorian Era/late 1800's, and also for the late 1700's. Although, they look really hard to make. ^_^* So many layers...plus there is that corset deal. I've never worn one, but they do look like they would cause some...difficulty to breathing. *Laughs*

You do need to know your way around fitting and drafting when you're making these. Most high-class clothing during the pre-Victorian period was created by draping directly on the body, and it's still the best method.

As for corsets, a properly made, fitted and worn corset should not be uncomfortable. Problem is, most people's corsets are none of the above.

keri1966
11-10-2003, 03:40 PM
I have a lot of periods of costumes I like. I tend to like transistional periods because of the cute quirkness of the looks, plus they tend to be more comfortable than styles once they become a fixed "look".

projectanime
11-10-2003, 04:49 PM
Tudor style dresses are my favorite, they're so pretty. ^-^

Susumari
11-11-2003, 02:12 AM
i would love to do a victorian...like what mana wears. but, i will get to do that. and one from the 1920s

caver
11-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Elizabethan for me - definately.
But I have dabbled in Victorian as well. I Much prefer the full bodied multilayered cloaks of the the Victorian timeframe, to cloaks from any other period.
Hoops and corsettes are great fun, but I really have never had need nor desire to make a bustle.
I just love the grand elegance of Lady dressed to the nines, and a hoop skirt has a way of creating that regal "Presence"
It's a good thing.

Beware_UY7
11-15-2003, 06:30 PM
Whee~
This past week I've been poking around at bustle designs for a costume for a show my friend is doing. I don't like the late bustle at all, but earlier bustles were nice. Though I've been on a historical undergarments kick lately too. *giggles* Running around in 'undergarments' is fun.

Hm, I almost always end up doing period costumes for plays and musicals, not just because. It seems a lot of people make costumes because they just want to. Awesome. If I ever have extra money, I'll make an original design... and probably combine my favorite aspects from different time periods (For example, I don't like 1840's bodices, but I like the skirts...)

Now I want to go to the fabric store... growl.

I'm actually going to go to a show tonight, I'll drool at the theatre's costumes for a bit, and then maybe sew some. (It makes me want to become good friends with a costume designer.)

Wombat.

keri1966
11-18-2003, 12:07 PM
If I can finish the shirtwaist before Friday I'll have a 1917 costume done to wear at Sugoicon. I like the WWI period a lot. The women's clothes are both comfortable and pretty.

Gale
11-20-2003, 02:29 PM
i have a summer voulenteer job roleplaying at a historical museam in my town. the year we use is 1876. i'd post some pictures...but the only good ones are from the day we got soaked so all of us are in our underwear (corset, shimees, bustle, etc.)

i'm not really sure what my favorite fassions from history are. i do like traditional Indian and Thai clothing though.

Satine
06-17-2004, 06:01 AM
Resurecting an old thread as I wander around looking for things;)

My favourite eras are:
1870s and 1880s
1830s and 1840s
1660s
1470s to 1570s Northern European (ie not English or Italian etc)
1100s Northern Europe, the super fine pleated "Bliaut" style, the fragments of fabric looks so amazing.

JunJun
06-17-2004, 09:20 AM
My favorites are the older, ethnic styles. Ancient greek, English and Irish styles before, including and past the roman occupation. I like the really popular stuff well enough, but i don't feel the need to make it like i do the more medieval or even barbarian time periods. I think its also because I <3 pre-christian religion. Hehe.

I do have an insane soft spot for the 1920s though. Muaha.

rox_my_sox
06-17-2004, 09:33 PM
i like 1600's clothing/stlye dresses (elizabethan era)

G-Hawk
06-17-2004, 11:17 PM
I have two favorite dress periods.

The 1800's Victorian/European/Steam Punk/Gas Lamp look. (See: Studio Foglio's Girl Genius)

Turn of the 20th century adventurer types, ala Indiana Jones...with the fedoras, leather caps and jackets, etc...

GoldfishGirl
06-18-2004, 08:37 AM
I absolutely love the Transitional Tudor style. But the only 'pseudo-historical' garments I've ever made or worn are typical "Bodice-Skirt-PeasantShirt" Ren Fest ensembles and Old Western Prarie Pajamas. (I'm too fat to be a can-can girl, but I can wear a shapeless, purple calico shift with a blue calico apron and every one thinks i'm the inn keeper's daughter.)
...Bastard Boot Hill.

Sweet~Pea
06-18-2004, 09:05 AM
I love the old medieval/Arthurian legend type, whixh I intend on making a few dresses and such from for renn faires. I also love elizabethan, even if I could not, at this time, make them. Victorian is one of my faves too. I also like various styles from 1900s-1940s.

Cheers
-Christa

Xanthe Kelsylva
06-21-2004, 01:29 PM
As for corsets, a properly made, fitted and worn corset should not be uncomfortable. Problem is, most people's corsets are none of the above.

Mine's definitely not a good corset, which really ticks me off because it was fairly expensive. It probably wasn't made right because the boning is constantly popping out, it wasn't fitted for me, and it's a little *too* worn I think. I can't get the boning to stay in and it's just plain uncomfortable at this point. So I just skip wearing it. I also skip most of the other layers too because they're just so illogical. I mean, you're trying to make your waist look small so you add about 5 inches with a bunch of draw string waists, and then you crush it all against your body with a tight corset? It makes no sense! When you wear dresses from the 1860's as often as I do, you realize some of the illogic lol.

The 1860's is definitely one of my favorite periods of clothing, even if the undergarments are over the top lol. I love the big skirts, the elaborate hats, everything. I have a bunch of 1860's dresses, including 2 ballgowns. And actually it's not that hard to get in and out of the car if you're with a gentleman who knows that he's supposed to open and close doors for you. :) One of the things I love about 1860's clothes is the way guys act when I'm wearing the dresses. It's so easy to get attention too, since I have this way of making the skirt sway slightly that makes everyone go nuts lol.

I also like Medieval and Renaissance dresses, especially my 14th century ballgown. I love the 14th century style, with the really fitted dresses and the elaborate sleeves and everything (there were 4 pieces to each sleeve on my dress-- pain in the butt, but totally worth it!)

And I like wearing long veils with Medieval dresses too, especially because in the 1920's version of Robin Hood there's this really romantic scene where Maid Marian is wearing a long veil and Robin Hood touches it a certain way. As soon as I saw that I HAD to make a long veil, even though there's no way Douglas Fairbanks is going to randomly show up and flirt like that... But I've always had a thing for wearing long veils. I used to take old curtains and wear them like a veil when I was little. I even wore them at school some times, along with dresses that were way too big.

I like a lot of time periods and would actually like to expand my costume collection to cover even more time periods, even though people already think I'm nuts.

GoldfishGirl
06-21-2004, 04:48 PM
"I have this way of making the skirt sway slightly that makes everyone go nuts lol."

~*~*~Scene in me Head~*~*~
-Xanthe swings skirt about-
(Father): RUN BILLY! The SKIRT'S GONNA EAT YOU!
(Kid): AHHHH!
(Xanthe): -All alone- Well, I felt pretty.
~*~*~/Scene in me Head~*~*~

I miss sleeps.

TsukinoUsagi
06-21-2004, 06:11 PM
18th century!! I'm obsessed really ^.^ I have bought books that describe the types of dresses, and uniforms worn by the Continental Army. It's my dream to have a ball gown and General's uniform.

Ellehina
06-21-2004, 06:55 PM
1530's German Woo Hoo!!! Yeah feathers, pearls, gold, and slashes eccentric wild and fun. Um yeah sorry about that. I'll let you get back to your normal discussion. Oh and also like 1490's German.

Countess Lenore
06-25-2004, 09:24 PM
I love the Elizabethan Renaissance (I have a few costumes in my gallery.) I'm a big time Rennie, and spend way to much money at the faires. I've always wanted a wheel farthingale, but I don't know how to make one (hoops are fine though, I love them^_^)

ardhri
07-02-2004, 05:56 PM
I love medieval gowns, but I'm also partial to old Scottish dress, as I am in a Scottish dance group. Give me anything with a tartan and I love it. :) I actually have a Rennessaince gown with a tartan skirt and it looks awesome. So comfy, too.

_Mandy_
07-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Actually...me and my sister's were planning on making costumes for each decade of the 20th century up until 2000. I have to say my favorites from research we've done are 1920's, 50's and 80's. Fun stuff ^^ I love old civil war era dresses too...can't forget renaissance either. Anything pretty rules. ^^

D001
04-05-2008, 11:35 PM
I prefer pre-Ching (Qing) dynasty China, like Warring States Period through the Tang Dynasty. I love Japanese historical costume (with the exception of the blackened teeth...ew). I also really like Tudor and Elizabethian styles. And the 1940s. I love Ingrid Bergman and Alfred Hitchcock and the movies from then and the clothing (especially the ladies' suits and evening gowns) from that era.

laizeohbeets
04-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Mmm, English Restoration-era to 1720s, with the big, full coats and big full skirts. And big fluffy wigs!

And for the 20th century, 1940s film noir is excellent.

Biscuit
04-08-2008, 01:18 PM
I LOVE Tudor clothing. and 18th century, as well as Victorian and ancient Egyptian...in fact as long as it's before 1930 I love it ^_^

zootsgirl15
04-08-2008, 01:38 PM
After watching Pride and Prejudice for the 4th time this week, I have concluded that I just love the regency era, and I want to make a dress and jacket really bad!

Koumori
04-08-2008, 09:03 PM
After watching Pride and Prejudice for the 4th time this week, I have concluded that I just love the regency era, and I want to make a dress and jacket really bad!

I just finished something like that and am in the middle of another...

Also, isn't this thread a 4-year-old necro?

Bealzabub
04-14-2008, 06:08 PM
I love a good variety of eras. I'm a fan of historical Viking fashion and Italian Renaissance, but my current love is 1870's - 1900's. Whilst I do love the dresses of that era, my true love is actually the Men's evening clothes of that era... ^^;

Desse
04-16-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm so excited, I've just started work on making my 1560s German plunderhosen. :D

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9849/es4do6.jpg

Oh yes, it's going to rock.

PixieRisa
04-17-2008, 07:35 PM
I haven't cosplayed any period yet, but if I can, I would love to do the colonial times. The dresses are so pretty then. ^_^

Single Pattern
04-24-2008, 10:56 AM
I love all periods of historic clothing (makes for a VERY full closet, lol). Right now I'm into bustle. It lets me fulfill my love of historic garments, buts fit right in with my love of steampunk too!

Last_Chael
05-01-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm really getting into historical. I already have a Victorian dress (natural form period) but I'm hoping to make an early bustle dress sometime as well! Also on my list is a Rococo outfit, they're just so gorgeous! I'm contemplating Edwardian and Regency as well, but not quite decided.

And in more contemporary history, I love 1930-1950 :D Sooo gorgeous! But fortunately they are more everyday wear for me, where the bustles and panniers aren't exactly everyday wear :P

EelKat
05-17-2008, 10:29 PM
I was just working on a victorian dress for a musical that I'm currently in and a question came to me...
What is everyone's favorite period of dress?

I wear period cloths 24/7, I started doing it about 15 years ago. Over the years I've tried a little bit of everything, at first I wore certain styles because I liked the "look", but after a while I quickly learned that many of the looks I like were sheer hell the actually wear,:bigcry: and after a while what I like changed.

Originally I was "in love" with Victorian, big bouffant skirts, tiny waists, lots of frills.

Today? I live in French Revolution Empire gowns and Japanese kimonos, over worn with huge capes (instead of coats).

The empire gown looks amazing and is a dream to wear, plus I made 4 of them in one day, cause they are so simple to make. I make hem out of thin calico cottons for summer wear and panne` velvets for winter wear.

Over my empire gowns I wear Japanese kimonos (my grandmother brought them back from Japan 40 years ago, they are antiques). I wear them layered the way women wore them in the 1500's

My capes are of near east Normad style... huge cape, 7 yards of fabric, with a big billowing hood. I make them out of panne velvet and wear them year round.

EgnirysFaye
05-17-2008, 10:56 PM
I like this thread XD Since I have to wear 1840's dress everyday for work! (Historical fort) and a soldier's uniform on some days.

My favourite period for clothing..oh boy, being a history student I have alot. I suppose Medieval, Rennaissance and 18th Century Georgian. I also love Roman and Greek attire.

bossep64
06-28-2008, 03:30 PM
1858 to mid 1860s is my first favourite. Mid-18th century and 1950s. I have a huge passion for huge skirts, petticoats and hoop-skirts. Well, hoop-skirt in combination with petticoats. Hoop-lines makes me feel sick.

paper cosplay
06-29-2008, 07:35 AM
well I had a 19th century farmer and blacksmith costume provide to me at my old job.
I'm not working at that museum job anymore but I like the costumes so much I'm making one just for myself. its male clothing so its just pants, vest, hat and shirt

silentspace
06-30-2008, 01:25 AM
1500s Europe: doublets, tunics, and the coolest looking chains of office.

1800s Victorian: frocks, cuffs, and tailcoats

220s-260s AD, China: military battle armor