PDA

View Full Version : ahhh melty wig

ichigo
10-30-2003, 06:26 PM
I was wearing a shortish wig, and I was leaning down to get a pizza out of the oven, and I guess the sudden blast of heat from the oven made the tips of the bangs and a chunk of hair on each side of my head go all...frizzy.... The rest of the wig is fine, and I am sooo glad that oven wasn't any hotter :thumbsup: but is there any way to fix the wig and get it straight again?
(and sorry if there has already beena thread on this)

megumibish
10-30-2003, 07:44 PM
considering that's extreme heat damage you may not be able to straighten it again. plastic tends to curl when on the verge of melting. i would suggest katie bair's method of hot water straightening. http://www.katiebair.com cuz using a blowdryer to straighten it would probably be the final kill.

KaraokeKate
10-31-2003, 02:08 AM
Just out of curiosity... why were you wearing a wig while cooking? That whole "keep away from heat and flame" does apply to stoves and ovens as well. ~_^

The hot water method is probably not going to work. If it's frizzing the way I think it is, the fiber density has been compromised, and there really is no way to get it straight again. What happens, is that the heat causes the flame-resistant plastic to "flash melt", instantly compressing it in the opposite direction from the heat. The shape of the fiber itself changed from being perfectly round, to kind of oval shaped (much like with people who have naturally curly hair...), and no amount of heat is going to make it round (and straight) again.

-Katie

ichigo
10-31-2003, 12:00 PM
Just out of curiosity... why were you wearing a wig while cooking? That whole "keep away from heat and flame" does apply to stoves and ovens as well. ~_^

Heh... I was helping a friend set up for a party, and she asked me if i would run over and get the pizza out. I did so, not even thinking about the wig (yes that was dumb)

The hot water method is probably not going to work. If it's frizzing the way I think it is, the fiber density has been compromised, and there really is no way to get it straight again. What happens, is that the heat causes the flame-resistant plastic to "flash melt", instantly compressing it in the opposite direction from the heat. The shape of the fiber itself changed from being perfectly round, to kind of oval shaped (much like with people who have naturally curly hair...), and no amount of heat is going to make it round (and straight) again.
-Katie
aww dammit. Thanks a ton for the advice, i guess I'll go trim my wig and see how much of it i can save.