PDA

View Full Version : To The Mighty Pizza Man!

Kesra
03-31-2011, 12:45 AM
So I have a list of House Rules we keep listed on our wall. I'm not going to list them because some are inappropriate, some are person specific, and many are inside jokes.

There is a rather unspoken one though that seems constant in our house though: Don't let the Pizza Man leave the porch without a tip. I'm not even sure that's a job you're supposed to tip for but look at what the Pizza Man's job is:

- Running around all day.
- Has to deal with pissy customers ALL THE TIME. Ask one some time. He'll tell you he gets people that are just impossible to deal with and likely stupid all the time.
- His job may not even help him cover the expense of gas (Our Papa Johns delivery men have to buy their own gas)
- He arrives in as timely a manner as he can.

And he will probably need more car maintenance in six months than most people need in two years.

And why does he do all of this? To bring you a box of hot cheesy happiness so you don't have to venture out into the dark, cruel world yourself. (Okay, the pay as well but it isn't much to speak of most of the time)

Let's face it, he is our hero. So let us discuss this.

-Do you tip your pizza man? (Don't have to say how much)
-Have you ever delivered Pizza? (You brave, brave soul)
-What other working class jobs do you think deserve more tips?

Lithium Flower
03-31-2011, 12:50 AM
Let's face it, he is our hero. So let us discuss this.

-Yes I do. Depending on how the guy/girl behaves and the condition of which the food arrives, and other such factors. I try not to tip based on how long it took to arrive unless the pizza is clearly ice cold. Generally between 2-4$. If I lived farther away I'd tip more. Maybe. Whatever. FOOD.

-No I have not. I don't have the spine to do it and I willingly admit this.

-Retail. All retail. And by tips I mean dosages of Vicodin and a swift kick to the head.

Kesra
03-31-2011, 12:58 AM
-Retail. All retail. And by tips I mean dosages of Vicodin and a swift kick to the head.

You are a lady of mercy.

UsakoLuna
03-31-2011, 01:00 AM
-yup! Usually $2-$4, more if it's a party and there are lots pizzas
-I have never and never plan to deliver pizza
-retail! We have to listen to crazy annoying People all day too!

DireKitty
03-31-2011, 07:43 AM
- I've never ordered pizza, I tend to pick it up.... usually we get delivery charges from the pizza places that goes to cover gas.
- No.
- Retail. Dear god.... I mean at least when i served food i got the comfort of tips at the end of the night, but retail? You are all alone, no tips.... so less pay, and more stress...

Nathus Dorkus
03-31-2011, 07:56 AM
I don't tip, because.. Tipping behaviour and stuff is very different in the UK. o~o

(Tipping is generally reserved for restaurant and cafe occassions, though tipping in not-posh cafes is very much optional and is usually just sticking money in a jar/pot on the counter. Whereas restaurant tipping is usually adding a tip to the bill.)

sam vimes
03-31-2011, 08:01 AM
I don't tip

http://news.thomasnet.com/IMT/archives/MrPinkReservoirDogsLeavingTips.jpg

Nathus Dorkus
03-31-2011, 08:10 AM
If it were normal to here, I would. o~o

(Ahhh Steve Buscemi~ *Swoon*)

toshirua3846384
03-31-2011, 08:20 AM
Let's face it, he is our hero.

The particular common pizza man i usually have encounters with isn't my hero (* see response "do i tip my pizza man")

Do i tip your pizza man- It depends really; but in all honesty 3 out of 5 times, no i don't. Only because one; the pizza i tend to get always is synonymous to looking like crap from it sliding around in the front seat of their car. And second; im naturally a very VERY stingy person.<-- Im not really ashamed to admit that, because i have the stuff i want by being stingy with some things.

Have you ever delivered pizza- I did it once; didn't like it, quit and got another job. Problem solved.

What other working class jobs do you think deserves more tips- I think Sackers that try hard at Krogers or Just anyone that has a Concession job Needs to get tipped. I worked both jobs; (the sacker position worked my ass off pushing in 10-18 carts at a time,(though your supposed to push about 5, you cant afford to do that since people take every cart in site every day of the week)*also mind you this is in 92 degree weather* and still i barely got any type of major tips from anyone. All i got was a pat on the back "GOOD JOB", and really that sucks. So definitely any job that requires that deserves to get tipped.

tn_scotsman
03-31-2011, 08:36 AM
Do I tip the pizza guy/lady? - All the time. Typically $4 - $6. Not really because it is a hard job though, just because he/she is responsible for bringing me food.

Have I ever delivered pizza? - Nope, and I hope I never have too.

What other jobs deserve tips? - Not really sure on this one. I do agree that sackers and cart pushers should if they help take the groceries to the car for you, and if the store allows, we do usually tip for that. I've worked retail and hated every minute of it, but I'm not sure about the tipping part. I know the retail stores where they give you a lot of assistance and attention 99% of the time they have a commission, so the better they do at getting me to spend money, the more they make. But if they did an exceptional job, I would consider it.

DireKitty
03-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Do I tip the pizza guy/lady? - All the time. Typically $4 - $6. Not really because it is a hard job though, just because he/she is responsible for bringing me food.

Have I ever delivered pizza? - Nope, and I hope I never have too.

What other jobs deserve tips? - Not really sure on this one. I do agree that sackers and cart pushers should if they help take the groceries to the car for you, and if the store allows, we do usually tip for that. I've worked retail and hated every minute of it, but I'm not sure about the tipping part. I know the retail stores where they give you a lot of assistance and attention 99% of the time they have a commission, so the better they do at getting me to spend money, the more they make. But if they did an exceptional job, I would consider it.

Most retail places give their workers quotas... no commission, just a number they have to meet to keep their job.

Arc_The_Lad
03-31-2011, 09:38 AM
I sometimes tip, depends if they didn't fuck up. I'll open the pizza right there to see if it's correct.

No

I dunno, I do know some jobs don't deserve tips.

Lithium Flower
03-31-2011, 10:15 AM
You are a lady of mercy.

Only when the mood strikes me.

DireKitty
03-31-2011, 11:46 AM
I sometimes tip, depends if they didn't fuck up. I'll open the pizza right there to see if it's correct.

No

I dunno, I do know some jobs don't deserve tips.

People who work higher up at majour banks who fuck it up for the rest of us get big tips every year. :)

x-Steffi-x
03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Pizza...

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091224185124/mysims/images/4/46/Gross.png

rubyspitfire
03-31-2011, 01:04 PM
having been the "pizza man" once, all i have to say is PLEASE TIP!! we use our own cars, pay for all of our own vehicle maintenance (and drive more in one night than most people do in a week) and our own gas. the pay check goes toward other expenses. most people don't know this but delivery generally gets paid less than minimum wage as well, because the assumption is made by the company that you WILL be tipped. yes we may only burn up at most $1 of gas and vehicle wear and tear bringing your food to you, but even if it's just coin change we greatly appreciate it!

if it weren't for tips i would have run out of gas and starved more days than i want to think about D:

Akiyhrah
03-31-2011, 01:09 PM
I always tip the pizza man. Well, if he (or she I guess) shows up and is a total dick, then I won't, but that's my policy for any tipping.
I always tip 15%. But if the service isn't that great, I'll tip 10%. If it was REALLY bad, I won't tip at all. On the other hand, I've tipped up to 50% before for good service. With the pizza guy it's a little different, because they usually just come, drop off the pizza, and go so they usually get 15%. But I have had some really cool delivery people before!

Pocketfightr
03-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Yes, I definitely throw in a few bucks to the delivery person.

Nope, never worked in the food industry... I hope I never do, unless it's for something like a cupcake bakery.

I'll agree with the others on retail employees deserving more credit. I worked in a college bookstore. It was hell. Nothing worse than people being forced to buy books for a class they didn't want to take in the first place. >_<

ShinobiXikyu
03-31-2011, 02:41 PM
-Not often. Usually we get it as pickup, but when we get it delivered, we tip about two to five bucks, depending what we ordered. Though with most takeout food I still tip. With the option on the debit machine now to tip, it's a hell of a guilt trip to refuse.

-Nope. No license, so I couldn't even if I wanted.

-Taxi drivers. They really don't make enough. Especially with how expensive gas is now. Most companies make them pay for their own gas. And they pay extra fees if they don't own their own car. And have to put up with all kinds of crap from customers...and of course, all the recent-ish news stories of drivers getting robbed, stabbed or shot...
Provided my driver didn't do a terrible job getting me there (e.g., missing my house more than once, purposely taking a REALLY long route or driving really dangerously), I always tip at least 10%. Usually more, especially if I've got luggage.
Oh, and maids/cleaners/janitors. Do I even need to explain why?

DireKitty
03-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Maids, wow... yeah... minimum wage for a cruddy job. =(

At cons you should def tip as they have to deal with crazy messes.

ShinobiXikyu
03-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Ohhhh yeah. I tipped thirty bucks on top of my boyfriend's ten last year's Anime North because I got sick in the hotel room trash can. X_X (Our room bill came to 240, before taxes..so that's almost a twenty percent tip)