PDA

View Full Version : Paint Dilemma for Dragonball

LxExplosionx93
04-02-2011, 08:46 PM
I wanted to make a Dragonball to go along with my Bulma cosplay. I bought one of those high-bounce air balls and intended to spray paint it. I ran into a few bumps with this plan.

The spray paint wouldn't stick to the ball very well, and it ran and dripped. Looking back I should have worked in smaller layers, I definately tried to layer it on way too thick. Second problem: Even if I had managed to get an even coating, the ball isn't completely firm. If it gets pushed inward, the paint cracks.

So here are my questions:

Is there any kind of primer I can use to help the paint stick to the ball and not crack?

OR

What kind of paint can I use to avoid these problems altogether? I'll admit, I wasn't very observant in my paint selection. I was in a hurry and grabbed the first orange can I laid my eyes on.

Any advice is appreciated! :)

Kanti Kane
04-02-2011, 10:36 PM
If you coat the ball in a couple layers of white acrylic paint or gesso (same thing almost), the paint SHOULD stick to the ball and the spraypaint can anchor to the acrylics (:
I've never painted one of the balls you're talking about, but acrylics usually stick to anything. You just have to wait till it dries completely before you paint another layer.
As long as you don't throw the ball around, it shouldn't crack. I've painted some things in acrylics and worn them/walked around with them all day and nothing has happened to me yet!

tunesonatuesday
04-03-2011, 03:35 AM
You might be able to use a latex-based paint and it might be a bit more forgiving, though not much. I think your best bet might be to use a different ball.

LxExplosionx93
04-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Kanti- Thanks, I might give that a go!

tunesonatuesday- A different ball is something I've been considering. I think I'll just experiment a bit with these suggestions, and if those fail, I'll switch balls.

Thanks guys!