PDA

View Full Version : So who likes to role play?

Rukeya
04-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Any of you like to sit down and have yourself a nice, rousing, game of D&D?

DireKitty
04-03-2011, 09:26 PM
I enjoy it, but I find it super hard to find people i would enjoy playing with. So many are uptight people who are all anal about the rules and spend all their time making super powerful characters... or they are the creepy kind that want their character to make out with mine... among other gross stuff.

What i need is a cool group that can sit down and have a good fun game without... the unsociables ruining... a social game.

...been wanting to play a Vampires game for a long time.... QQ

Arc_The_Lad
04-03-2011, 09:31 PM
I tried it a few times but never really got into it.

A bunch of my friends play though, I've sat and been the "reference" guy, I just read the manual when someone is a bit hazy on stats or something.

DireKitty - Agreed, finding not creepy people is incredibly hard, my friends seem ok though.

GraelynRose
04-03-2011, 09:45 PM
I was supposed to play tonight. I only like playing with people who I can joke around with. If the DM (or other players) have a stick up their butt, I'm out.

Rinoa07
04-04-2011, 01:41 AM
I'll only play the first and second editions of D&D. While the other editions are more lax with the rules, and more easy going in terms of classes, they just strike me as a bit lazy. I've had some great adventures though, back when I used to play more often. My DM always got "sick" when we were to play, so I just stopped asking to play. I got sick of the excuses.

The Seventh Sea
04-04-2011, 02:07 AM
Only in MMOs once in a while. Used to RP all day long when I was younger.

Akiyhrah
04-04-2011, 03:58 AM
I love D&D. I've been playing for over 10 years now :3

SkyBlueEyed
04-04-2011, 04:12 AM
I was supposed to play tonight. I only like playing with people who I can joke around with. If the DM (or other players) have a stick up their butt, I'm out.

This!
I've never actually played D&D, but it's on my to-do list...

Skeff
04-04-2011, 08:13 AM
My friends and I sit down and play on the weekends, we also podcast our sessions, they are pretty funny.

We've been playing D&D for a while now, also really into Warhammer Fantasy as well as Shadowrun.

DireKitty
04-04-2011, 08:19 AM
My friends and I sit down and play on the weekends, we also podcast our sessions, they are pretty funny.

We've been playing D&D for a while now, also really into Warhammer Fantasy as well as Shadowrun.

I played shadowrun... i always decided to live in the sewers.... i never got the point of spending points for expensive living places unless you went all out.

Valormeer
04-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Played Vampire: The Masquerade for a while then had to stop due to GM Drama. Was playing a Gangrel at the time. Was having a blast with it until My character came in conflict with the Dm's Girlfriends. Yeahhh I think you know how that went :D

Arc_The_Lad
04-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Only in MMOs once in a while. Used to RP all day long when I was younger.

I...technically used to RP on a couple MMOs I played, as in I acted like a girl to get free stuff. Easier than you think, and hey, it's not my fault stupid prepubescent teens are pathetically easy to manipulate.

I stopped a year ago, but I'm still used to playing female characters.

Rukeya
04-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I enjoy it, but I find it super hard to find people i would enjoy playing with.

Agreed. The games I play are normally light on rules or a mixture of a few. I tend to like games that are more character and story driven.

Kildread
04-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Only tried it once and it wasn't a very long game, it seemed interesting --- though a little too involving overall.

Mad props to people who can DM properly though.

HomeDepot
04-04-2011, 08:00 PM
I love roleplaying, although I've only ever played D&D as a oneshot. I play using the Fate system a lot and also enjoy the savage worlds system.

I'm currently playing Dresden Files on the fate system and GMing an airship adventure using Castle Falkenstein.

I'm with Rukeya, I prefer a light on rules approach to gaming.

Aearon
04-04-2011, 08:12 PM
This post may contain material that could possibly offend someone. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Also, please don't quote this post. Quoting removes the spoiler black-out and defeats the purpose of the spoiler tag in the first place. Thank ya. =)
Seriously, if you don't want to possibly be offended, please DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING POST!Any of you like to sit down and have yourself a nice, rousing, game of D&D?That title could sooo be taken wrong. XD I enjoy D&D, but I don't have a steady group. I used to play NWN quite a bit offline and online and it's pretty much D&D w/o the dice rolling and less imagination. >.>
I...technically used to RP on a couple MMOs I played, as in I acted like a girl to get free stuff. Easier than you think, and hey, it's not my fault stupid prepubescent teens are pathetically easy to manipulate.

I stopped a year ago, but I'm still used to playing female characters.That's.... sad on so many levels.
I've played several MMO's, but I've never RP'd in them.
I also prefer to earn things, not have them given to me. =)

sam vimes
04-04-2011, 09:06 PM
C'mon Aearon, quite being an ass. The last few things you posted weren't controversial at all. Chin up and let your banning be a lesson unto you; you're not this out-of-the-loop badass, you just needed some fine-tuning. Hell, you and I got on like oil and water, but I'm willing to bury the hatchet if you use your head and stop trying to be unsuccessfully blunt and commenting on female members' chests.

Stop spoiler-tagging everything and just relax, man.

HomeDepot
04-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Guys playing girls online go get free stuff is pretty common, and you don't have to ask for gifts, people will just give it to you. Sexist, yes, unusual, no. An overused joke is that MMORPG really stands for Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls.

Aearon
04-04-2011, 09:37 PM
This post may contain material that could possibly offend someone. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Also, please don't quote this post. Quoting removes the spoiler black-out and defeats the purpose of the spoiler tag in the first place. Thank ya. =)
Seriously, if you don't want to possibly be offended, please DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING POST!O.oa Hey now, most of what I say isn't controversial or even abrasive. People can and will take offense to anything I say. I really don't mind if someone is offended or not. The spoiler tags make it easier for people to skip over my post and therefore not be offended. =) Since when did I comment on someone's chest? O.oa

Yeah, and when someone says they're a girl in an MMO, it usually means they're a Guy In Real Life (G.I.R.L.). I didn't say it was uncommon. I did state my opinion on the matter.

DireKitty
04-05-2011, 06:29 AM
When I played WoW and FFXI everyone thought I was a dude.

Nathus Dorkus
04-05-2011, 06:36 AM
I play as girl characters in 90% of the MMOs I play, and I play a ridiculously large amount of MMORPGs.

The reason? Cuter hair, cuter faces, cuter clothing.

I like MMOs that have equally cute boy characters, or androgynous characters for both sexes, because then I can actually use a God damn male character.
And yeah, often guys will just be all, "Here, have this." without even saying hello to you.

(Started a new Animal Crossing town yesterday, and my Fiance was all, "...You're a boy." and it took me a while to figure out what he was on about.)

On the actual subject - no, I've never played D&D. I do own a sort of beginners D&D set, but I'm just so impatient. :C

DireKitty
04-05-2011, 06:48 AM
You could play a male blood elf in WoW...

Nathus Dorkus
04-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Bollocks I can, they're big and bulky and beardy (the three butch Bs?).

I like my lady Blood Elf, thankyouverymuch~

DireKitty
04-05-2011, 07:08 AM
Bollocks I can, they're big and bulky and beardy (the three butch Bs?).

I like my lady Blood Elf, thankyouverymuch~

They are TINY! If you want bulk, check out human males... @_@....
Hell, the males blood elves complain they lost their scrunchies...

...the females seem more manly in spirit.

Nathus Dorkus
04-05-2011, 07:11 AM
XD

Comparatively, they are like lady boys, but they're still too butch for me. :B I adore female Blood Elves.

Doofy terrible sketch I did of my character. Hurrdurr. (http://nathan-drawian.deviantart.com/#/d38xwy7)

(Aauugh I want to go and clamber onto my computer and play Luna Online now.)

Skeff
04-05-2011, 07:38 AM
I played shadowrun... i always decided to live in the sewers.... i never got the point of spending points for expensive living places unless you went all out.

One of my friends is playing as a hobo sniper right now, who lives in the sewers and he's kind of frighteningly deadly, probably the best killer in the group. And his character is derpy as hell on top of that lol. He classified him as a genetic/robotics experiment that escaped when the project went under.

We really are liking shadowrun as of now, definitely an interesting setting with all the tech available in the game.

The Seventh Sea
04-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Meh, I RPed as a girl sometimes. I used to take RP a little too seriously back then, but as a girl, its really just fun and games for me. Kinda sad I guess, but hey, if it works, it works. Besides, its role play, where does it say you have to RP in your gender?

Arc_The_Lad
04-05-2011, 09:12 AM
To be fair, when I was playing Ragnarok Online, females had better equipment than men.

This is also my reaction to people who play blood elves.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/Arc_the_Lad500/WoWScrnShot_042310_154745.jpg

(Yes that is my priest, and yes this picture is old.)

dagmarus
04-05-2011, 09:29 AM
I used to RP way back when Prodigy was still a thing and a little after on AOL. It was always free-form, character and story driven based on ideas the person I played with and I came up with. It was never anything formal, like with dice and whatnot. It was more like playing out the days of their lives and then grew more and more epic. I actually kind of miss it, because it was a HUGE creative output for me.

The Seventh Sea
04-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Ahhh Ragnarok Online, man, those were good times for me, but....OH WELL

Now its Mabinogi, but even now I don't play it much (assuming I'm back at home)

Nathus Dorkus
04-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I used to "RP" in the sense of people joining together on forums and the like, essentially creating interactive stories and the like, creating characters and writing out long, detailed intereaction for the fun of it.

It pretty took up my entire life as a preteen and teen.

xSelanx
04-05-2011, 03:15 PM
I used to "RP" in the sense of people joining together on forums and the like, essentially creating interactive stories and the like, creating characters and writing out long, detailed intereaction for the fun of it.

It pretty took up my entire life as a preteen and teen.

^ This.
This is the only true form of roleplaying I've ever done. My husband was trying so hard to get me to cave in to play D&D, but I told him no... After he got me to play WoW and I got tired of how repetitive the gameplay was, I told him no more after that. I know they're not nearly the same, but both of them are things that I said I would never do. I caved to one, but I won't to the other.

Rukeya
04-05-2011, 04:07 PM

Heh, yeah... I used to do that too.. minus the forum part. A few of us took part in these massive chat role plays that were about anime, incidentally (ahh.. childhood). Then, one day, I was introduced to a DM who decided to meet us half way. The result was an explosion of greatness.

Funny, though, that there's a lot of flack given to males for playing females. Nothing wrong with it if your head is in the right place (no pun intended). I know I often play as males in both MMO and D&D settings. I just find it more fun!

Akiyhrah
04-05-2011, 08:43 PM
I used to RP online a lot too, mostly when I was a teenager and Gaiaonline was still a decent place. :/
I actually still own a FFVIII roleplay guild there.. lol It's pretty much the only place on Gaia I ever go these days.. and I don't even go there often. The quality of online roleplayers has gone significantly downhill since chat speak became more popular.

Volnixshin
04-05-2011, 09:03 PM
I DO I DO! I used to carouse the Red Dragon Inn on AOL years back, RP'd there for years until it was destroyed by lame stupid immature people.

DireKitty
04-05-2011, 09:26 PM
I DO I DO! I used to carouse the Red Dragon Inn on AOL years back, RP'd there for years until it was destroyed by lame stupid immature people.

I'm a pirate!

Volnixshin
04-05-2011, 09:33 PM
YAR! I am ze Awkvard Austrian!

DireKitty
04-05-2011, 10:06 PM
http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/pirates3.jpg

Pirates are sexy, hence why I role play as one.... i mean, ARRRRR

The Seventh Sea
04-06-2011, 01:23 AM
http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/pirates3.jpg

Pirates are sexy, hence why I role play as one.... i mean, ARRRRR

Yar....booty indeed D8;;;;;;

the Red Dragon Inn on AOL years back

Oh god, the RhyDin days...

BraveKnight
04-06-2011, 01:35 AM
I roleplay every thursday and used to RP a lot on WoW and City of Heroes.

D&D, Old School World of Darkness, Exalted, Spycraft, Call of Cthulu, All flesh must be eaten (a zombie RP), Big Eyes Small Mouth (an anime RP), and Mutants and Masterminds...

Hm... I should probably look into getting my life back... >.>

Axelai
04-06-2011, 01:41 AM
Currently roleplaying as America with my Canada.

I typed America instead of Canada on accident.

Funniest moment ever.

dagmarus
04-06-2011, 11:43 AM
I used to frequent the Seacliff Tavern Inn on AOL. My character ended up married to the owner.

DireKitty
04-06-2011, 11:47 AM
I roleplay every thursday and used to RP a lot on WoW and City of Heroes.

D&D, Old School World of Darkness, Exalted, Spycraft, Call of Cthulu, All flesh must be eaten (a zombie RP), Big Eyes Small Mouth (an anime RP), and Mutants and Masterminds...

Hm... I should probably look into getting my life back... >.>

WoD! I want to find a Vampires group around here.... /sigh

BraveKnight
04-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Vampire and me have a troubled past... and by troubled I mean I usually end up wanting to put some 6 foot tuxedoed mosquitoes into Torpor as soon as I see them with my l33t furry garou claws >.>

BUT in vampires defense if I ever found one who wanted to achieve golcanda and I had a high enough lore/occult to not tell them "god bless you" we were friends. It's the only way I can play a vamp... have a high enough humanity and not want to treat humans like food. So I guess I was a pretty boring vampire... Although given the Twilight trend I might have ladies lined up to fawn over me... >.>

Too bad I like shifting into crinos =P

The Seventh Sea
04-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Vampire and me have a troubled past... and by troubled I mean I usually end up wanting to put some 6 foot tuxedoed mosquitoes into Torpor as soon as I see them with my l33t furry garou claws >.>

BUT in vampires defense if I ever found one who wanted to achieve golcanda and I had a high enough lore/occult to not tell them "god bless you" we were friends. It's the only way I can play a vamp... have a high enough humanity and not want to treat humans like food. So I guess I was a pretty boring vampire... Although given the Twilight trend I might have ladies lined up to fawn over me... >.>

Too bad I like shifting into crinos =P

Man! I remember WW! Used to RP it with a good friend of mine in the AOL 3.11 days. Funniest moment ever was when we were fighting this vampire that hated my friend's character a lot. So mad that he typo'd the word fangs and forgot to put in the "n".

My friend remained in character and went "What the hell?! How'd you fit them in there?"

After that, OOC hiliarity ensued.

BraveKnight
04-06-2011, 12:59 PM
ROFLCOPTER!!!!

Oh man... priceless. Simply priceless. Dirty fangbangers.... -.-

Werewolf is just so... epic. I'm actually really enjoying exalted. I've always had to run that game and never got a chance to play in it. But tomorrow will be our second session and I'm finally playing! It's a lot of fun

tarinalove
04-06-2011, 01:34 PM
I used to rp when I was 12 or 13. :) they were more like stories and i was involved in forums... Usually in a couple different rps. Some vampire stuff, apocolyptic stuff...etc.

I also played runescape.

Rukeya
04-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Hah! Yey! I've only had limited experience with really.. just one group. I need to find myself like minded individuals for some amazing fun. <>_<>

Master_Loki
04-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Absolutely love it. Went to an abandoned school building with some friends and we just had a very long DnD game. I played a very flamboyantly gay halfling and basically by the end of it, my character's brother drank some holy water, someone was a half vampire and we were stuck in a windmill full of zombies. Good times.