PDA

View Full Version : Ciel in Wonderland: Help with Ruffles?

dellychan
04-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Okay, so. On a whim tonight, I started to make Ciel's Wonderland outfit. I have everything for the apron, so I'm working on that first.
Only thing is... He has these weird... Ruffle things on the back where the bow ties.
I got the ones on the shoulders and at the bottom, but these giant wavy ones are throwing me off.
It's probably really easy to do too, and I'm just an idiot. I've looked around but couldn't find anything.
Any help would be appreciated!

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii388/cuchinta-chan/09.jpg
He's the little boy in the blue :3

Kelley
04-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Basically, it's a 1/4 of a circle that you fold over itself multiple times.

Length is the length, width is how much you need to fold over that many times and you draw a gradual curve between the two.

It might be more 1/4 of an oval or so depending on what exactly you need. I'd make it out of paper first to see how much you need. ^.^

o01101011
04-07-2011, 01:07 AM
Look up waterfall pleating. You might be able to find a tutorial or help guide.

Brsis
04-07-2011, 07:32 AM
I did mine as bias cut drapes. You see them on old-fashioned curtains all the time (And indeed on your towels when you hang them up on a hook...) and that's where I started from with my patterns. They take a bit of wrapping around in your head and are very hard to visualise from paper, so it's best to try and drape them if you can.

I found it worked best if the 'outside' and 'top' edges are straight on the grain, the 'inside' edge is cut on the bias and gathered to the waistband. The length of the 'inside' relative to 'bottom' edge needs to be worked out according to how many 'ruffles' you want, and there's no easy way to do this on paper. Get an old sheet and be prepared for it to take a while >.>

Hydraskylar
04-08-2011, 11:39 PM
ooohh, cute costumes! Where did you find these? Could you please tell me how your costume turns out? I want to make it as well ^_^

edwardskittykat
04-19-2011, 02:50 AM
yay! I'm cosplaying this character too! I hope you manage to get it done and make it beautiful ^_^

Rainbowgasm
04-30-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm not quite understanding what the above people are saying on how to make them :S I'm doing a short version of his pink dress and I need to make these as well, but I cannot for the life of me understand what either of the above helping posters are trying to describe :S