PDA

View Full Version : Simplicty Steampunk Patterns

ajisaiareku
04-07-2011, 02:35 PM
I was in Joanns a few days again when I see that are now putting out a collection of steampunk patterns. Here are what some of them look like and what does everyone think of them? If you like them Joanns is having a sale where Simplicty patterns will be 99 cents from April 9th to April 12th.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2a6r0iv.jpg
http://www.simplicity.com/p-5900-misses-steampunk-costume.aspx
http://i52.tinypic.com/mm7ko4.jpg
http://www.simplicity.com/p-6060-misses-costume.aspx
http://i55.tinypic.com/2ymcfeo.jpg
http://www.simplicity.com/p-3069-mens-costumes.aspx

daylight
04-07-2011, 02:45 PM
they look great, I already have the detective coat patters from like a year ago when they went on sale. hahah I may never make them, but they just look so cool!

Kelley
04-07-2011, 07:39 PM
They're okay, but you know what's going to happen -

EVERYONE is going to use them and you're going to have a ton of people at cons and events wearing pretty much the same thing in maybe different colours. Which already happens to a degree, anyway, with people buying from the same stores instead of modifying or creating their own stuff (which is okay, since not everyone sews).

And, honestly, I have doubts about the quality of the pattern itself. Simplicity has been doing better than others, but I would still prefer to use a non-costume pattern.

An actual men's greatcoat is going to look at least five times as awesome as that thing, too.

Amanita
04-10-2011, 01:53 PM
I love the look of 2172! I tried to get a copy, but the store I went to was sold out, so I'm planning to try another fabric store later. (knashes teeth in frustration)
However, what Kelly said about everyone using them is a valid point. Which is why I would end up modding mine. Maybe wear a blouse underneath, and make the jacket sleeveless. Or replace the corset with a vest over the blouse. There's also the possibility of mix-and-match- take the skirt from the aforementioned pattern, and combine it with the jacket from other, for example.
And of course, accessories like hats, jewellery and capelets, let alone steampunk props like gadgets and weaponry help set costumes apart.

I've also got that detective's coat, I'm working on a modification design for it.

Some of Simplicity's costume patterns have been getting really good lately- not ill-finished halloween junk, but actual clothing-quality.

shadowbeam
04-10-2011, 05:49 PM
I knew about some of these patterns and have been waiting for them to come out over here, I agree that there is a danger of everyone wearing the same thing, but everything from the fabric you choose, how you accessorise with it, how you mod it is hopefully gonna make them look pretty different from eachother.
I adore simplicity costume patterns anyway :P

Clem O'Grady
04-11-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm really impressed with the fit of the ladies clothing. They're nice pieces and they seem to fit the models really well. (Curious how it would fit in the larger sizes, though.)

I agree with the idea there there will be some of the 'same dress at the prom' thing going on. But with a bit of altering know-how, you could actually get some pretty decent singles out of this set. And fabrics and unique trimming does count for a lot.

That fuddled trim on the collar of the underbust/corset combo has to go, though. Yeesh!

mylilpazuzu
04-13-2011, 11:58 AM
I saw these at wal-mart about a week ago and did a double-take, but I don't know if I'd use them. For starters, I would want the skirt from 2207 (but it looks like it needs some serious body! limp skirt is limp!) with the corset and coat from 2172. I'm not a huge fan of pleating. At all. And I have to agree with Clem - terrible trim is terrible. I do like that on 2172 the corset isn't the most prominent part of the costume (except in the striped version, which is sorta meh and waaay too gothy for my tastes).

That being said, I'd likely alter the heck out of it, but there's a couple of good starter pieces in there for people who don't know how to draft their own patterns.

Mangochutney
04-13-2011, 12:58 PM
2207, I don't like that one at all. It looks flimsy and cheap even in the envelope photo, which certainly uses decent fabric. The jacket's all right, but the skirt is a limp mess, and that bizarre overskirt pouf thing is nightmare waiting to happen--even in the photo, in a dress made of good fabric by a professional sewer, it bunches weirdly and sits like a pair of saddlebags on the hips. There's nothing about that pattern anywhere below the waist that I'd call attractive or even worth the cost of materials and time to make it.

2172 is pretty good and I really like that pleated-edge skirt. That looks nice on its own and will also be very useful as an underskirt with all kinds of other things. Make one in white and one in black and you're set for 90% of your Vicky underskirt needs. I don't like the corset poking out from the bottom of the over-dress, but that's a matter of taste really. The overdress is another thing that will look like warm crap unless it's made with quality fabric, though.

2517 is basically solid. I've worked with it. A good pattern; not a pattern for a real, high-quality men's coat, but a good pattern.

Amanita
04-13-2011, 04:19 PM
I was looking at that (2172) and wondering what the overcoat would look like made of silk dupioni, pleather, or even PVC for a cyber-punk look. Something with a little stiffness to it, definitely. And a person could customize it, replacing the buttons with buckles, perhaps.
And I dig that skirt too, there's lots of ways I could mess with that, and lots of looks besides steampunk I could use it for.

And I hear you about 2207. To me, it just lacks personality and looks generic. As for its skirt, I wonder if a petticoat underneath would help with the whole limpness factor? Or just swap it with the skirt from 2172, or another one of the period skirt patterns I've seen?

And Mango, I hear you on the need for quality fabric. Cheap, poor quality fabric can break a costume, making it look cheap no matter how well it's made. So now I try to get good stuff, even if it costs more. Not necessarily "fancy" fabric, just higher quality, I remember a book I used to have on model shipbuilding, discussing the different materials used, and their suitability for people of varying skill levels. It went something like this:
"A beginner working with boxwood is likely to waste valuable materials, while an expert working with balsa is devaluing his own skilled labor."

Sticky-Iki
04-15-2011, 03:42 AM
I wish these were in larger sizes. Making them a lot bigger is gonna be a hassle.... I really want to use the second one for a future steampunk cosplay. I saw it in Joann when I was getting stuff for another cosplay and I was just like: OAO Why is it not just a couple sizes bigger?! I guess a paper mock-up until I get the sizing correct will have to do. Or... any tips on enlarging a pattern? I've never enlarged a pattern more then two sizes from the original.

Kelley
04-16-2011, 12:00 AM
^ I think you would be better off learning basic pattern drafting or at least getting a well-fitting simple pattern and using it as a "block" to modify into whatever you want.

Enlarging patterns is possible, but depending on how much you have to change, you might not get the right proportions or ones that fit you.

Amanita
04-16-2011, 01:59 AM
That pattern goes up to a 44" bust, and mine is 50. How I hate it. I can't count the number of things I've tried on that fit everywhere but the damn boobs. Did I mention how much I hate them? So I've got to either enlarge the pattern, or start going to the gym. I need to work out anyway.
But I'll second the wish that these things would go up to bigger sizes. Unfortunately hardly anything gets made for us bigger ladies, I guess they assume that all we want are tacky halloween costumes, and tent-like garments. Fuck tents.

Elycium
04-16-2011, 08:23 AM
The only thing I like about the 2172 is the skirt. The coat looks like a meh version of an underbust ghawazee coat, and if I'm going to do something like that, I'll just make a gahwazee coat and punk it up myself - it'll probably come out better. That skirt however, is great. I love all the pleats.

the 2207 is just meh in general. The coat pattern isn't anything new, I've seen similar from other patterns. The skirt on it is horrible, for all of the reasons mentioned already.

The 2517 - I own this one, but I've never gotten around to trying it, so I don't really have much of an opinion on it.

I do love the fact that Simplicity is coming out with more Steamy patterns, I just wish more of them weren't quite so 'meh' looking.

Kama
04-18-2011, 01:05 AM
I think I'm harboring a secret hate toward Simplicity. They've discontinued most of their historical patterns that were good for basing ridiculous cosplays off of, replacing them with the "popular" trend stuff. Their newer patterns usually have me dumping them and drafting my own so I'm kind of afraid of these.

2207 looks...like a mess. Who picks their fabric because that red dress makes me cringe. The skirt looks like it's in too many pieces. The hip swags look entirely out of place. I like the top but it would make a much cuter blouse and in a much less strange looking fabric. This kind of makes me think they recycled a generic witch costume.

2127 I'm torn over. I love the skirt. The corset looks like an ill-fitted disaster waiting to happen and I have made more than a few ill-fitted corsets in my time. They're not "anyone can sew" by any means...though I'm kinda assuming that's a fake one in which case I can see this getting bulky. The look is so cute, so I may have to see how it works. Or ogle other people who use it.

2517 - This is like Sherlock Holmes meets Inspector Gadget. Never the less, I can see it as a really good base pattern for a lot of things.

And thus voices my hate of a lot of commercial patterns. I wish Simplicity would focus more on crazy dresses instead of what is popular, but they're a business and out to make money, capitalism, etc.

liivingdeadgirl
04-20-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm about to use 2172, just the jacket part. Though I'm going to heavily modify it. It's not going to be a long jacket, I'm going to just crop it and do some things differently. I just like the idea of one less thing that has to fit around my giant boobs. XD

Amanita
05-07-2011, 12:42 AM
I finally got a copy of 2172, and it's pretty nice. I thought that the pocket flaps on the jacket were fake (they often are), but no! The jacket has actual pockets:) I wouldn't use them for anything bulky, but they might be great for smaller items that won't make bulges.

The skirt is made of several rectangular pieces, both the body and the pleated part. This makes it easy to adjust if you're bigger. The only exceptions are the yoke pieces at the waist, but those shouldn't be too hard to enlarge a bit.
Enlarging the jacket if you're bigger might be harder, as some of the pieces are oddly shaped.
The corset is middle of the road in terms of the trouble you might have enlarging it. But for a large-busted woman, its boning might not be enough to keep things supported and contained- It might be better to swap it out with a boned corset, or blouse with regular bra underneath.
Looking at the jacket, it looks like there's lots of ways to play with it- leave the sleeves off and wear a blouse underneath, or replace the tight sleeves with some variant of pendant or bell sleeves, perhaps. But this pattern definitely has room to be played with, no wonder it's popular!