PDA

View Full Version : Is Steam Punk Cosplay?

Allie1985
04-10-2011, 03:00 AM
Do you think steam punk is a form of Cosplay? Why /Why Not?

JewishCosplayer
04-10-2011, 03:08 AM
Well, the literal meaning of Cosplay is "Costume" and "Play" so I don't see why not. If it's creative and you enjoy it, why not? Though it doesn't directly fall under media, it's still art and should be enjoyed.

Kelley
04-10-2011, 03:12 AM
It depends on who is doing it and why.

On one hand, some people wear it as clothing and not a costume.

On the other, some wear it as a costume only for events.

So... depends.

Volnixshin
04-10-2011, 11:22 AM
I agree with Kelley. I myself dress somewhat steampunk/dieselpunk on a daily basis, with no cosplay involved. It is my preferred attire. While I wear steampunk cosplays to conventions or events.

Mehdia
04-10-2011, 11:52 AM
As stated above, it all depends on the wearer. I, like Volnixshin, will incorporate steampunk aspects into my daily clothing (when I can since I have to wear certain things to work and I love other styles of clothing as well). But I also like the costume side of it. Some people see it as only a thing to do for conventions while others live it. I have a friend that wears a top hat, great coat or trench, waistcoat, and all that fun stuff daily. He also carries a cane (one because it goes with his look, two because he actually needs it to walk sometimes). It just all depends on how you feel about steampunk I guess is what I'm getting at.

Amanita
04-10-2011, 02:01 PM
I think some people who are into Steampunk might have both "everyday" and cosplay outfits. For example, they might wear their dress, greatcoat, or other fabric parts of the kit as everyday wear, but do something differently for cons. For example, they might wear only part of the outfit everyday, and only bring out the whole thing at a con or other event. Or they might wear the whole outfit as everyday kit, but really ham it up for events, bringing out lots of gadgets, props, and accessories- stuff that wouldn't be practical to carry around all the time.

shadowbeam
04-10-2011, 07:22 PM
For me I also wear Steampunk stuff as part of my 'normal' style. But I consider it cosplay when my outfit is based on that of a created character rather than just my own style :)

luvan1me
05-17-2011, 04:09 AM
well i usually don't wear steampunk outside of conventions >.< unless i go to a photoshoot, or i have a meetup with my friends. other than that, i call it cosplay.

drohack
05-31-2011, 01:15 PM
I would consider an entire outfit with a steam punk theme a cosplay, whether it's worn everyday or at a convention (since there's no rules on where you can cosplay or how often), and only part outfits as more of accessories to your outfit.

Volnixshin
05-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Wearing everyday clothes isn't a cosplay

ARIADecember
06-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I think
1. If a character is dressed in it, then yes

2. If not, them I wouldn't consider it

Lots of people consider it a fashion, so cosplay (costume play) would be something that would not go with it.

carolinabirdxo
06-04-2011, 12:48 AM
I would consider it cosplay. It's more than just fashion/clothing, it (usually) involves some level of role play.

alpha_helix
06-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Not when it's everyday attire :/

I sometes wear steampunk styled street clothes, and there is absolutely no element of eoleplay when I'm out doing everyday things in my slightly out there attire. The only people I know who bring role-play into it are larpers

Flora88
06-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Depends on your approach, I think.
There are some who create entire characters, such as...I dunno, an air pirate, (so their cogs and what have you can have a function, rather than just BEING there.)
BUT there are also those who like the aesthetic, so they incorporate steampunk stuff into their everyday wardrobes.

In the first case, I'd say it's more cosplay. In the second case, I'd say it's more fashion.

Annwyn
06-17-2011, 12:51 PM
For me as well, steampunk falls into both fashion and costume categories. Steampunk-based fashion is certainly on the rise, and many people, myself included, incorporate steampunk-y elements into daily attire.
Costume, to me, is more about portraying a character. When I am doing steampunk costuming, there is usually a different styling element than what goes into my fashion ensembles.

Kiichigo
06-17-2011, 01:58 PM
If the steamounkattire you wear belongs to a character you made up or that already exists, it's cosplay. Because then you're wearing a "costume" and "playing" a character.

But for most people steampunk is just normal clothing. Like lolita.

mcdkat
06-17-2011, 07:38 PM
If the steamounkattire you wear belongs to a character you made up or that already exists, it's cosplay. Because then you're wearing a "costume" and "playing" a character.

But for most people steampunk is just normal clothing. Like lolita.

Ok so.... Is Lolita cosplay? Why or why not?

Volnixshin
06-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Ok so.... Is Lolita cosplay? Why or why not?

You just quoted the answer.

If you need to know again ask in the EGL forum

mcdkat
06-18-2011, 09:04 PM
well that was confusing...

after reading the EGL post I am less confused!

Meant as a slam... was rather educational. Thanks!

Kit Cloud
06-21-2011, 12:46 AM
I agree with many of the users, it can be cosplay if it's a certain character, but if it's done on a daily bases, it's not really cosplay but a personal styling. I personally think gear goggles are sexy, and I've seen a lot of people wear them in everyday attire.